Shalimar Eau de Toilette (1925)
by Guerlain

Shalimar Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch1925

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Shalimar Eau de Toilette

Meaning 'Temple of Love' in Sanskrit, Shalimar is an oriental fragrance with notes of bergamot and vanilla.  Jacques Guerlain was inspired to create Shalimar by the story of Indian Emperor, Shah Jahan, who created a beautiful garden (called Shalimar) to please his queen.

Shalimar Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Shalimar Eau de Toilette

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening combines a delightful bergamot that is joined by whiffs of opoponax a bit later.

The drydown is dominated by an intense iris that is not really sweet on me; an iris with a powdery touch that is paired with a good jasmine impression; the latter has a slightly greenish-woodsy undertone. This all is overgrown by a rose note that is more a rose leaf impression than focused on the blossom. Later on a tonka leads into the next stage.

The base starts with whiffs of a soft and gentle incense, which is joined by a nice aroma of vanilla beans. This is a vanilla that has a touch of a suede-like smoothness, is not excessively sweet, never intrusive and that is incorporated into the whole mix very skillfully. Together with the now slightly balsamic incense this lingers for a while until it fades gracefully.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and ten hours of longevity on my skin.

This is a delightful scent for spring evening, which is blended beautifully of high-quality ingredients. In comparison with the perfume, released about the same time, the EdT is less complex, but, surprisingly, it is lasting a tad longer on me. 3.75/5

24th January, 2020
I've owned EDP, pure perfume extrait, eau de cologne (in the round watch, medallion / watch-looking bottle) and now edt. The only difference I've found with this formula is it seems to last a bit longer on my skin, than the edp. Parfum of course, lasts much longer. The edt seems a bit "thinner". Other than that, it's the same to my nose. Perhaps a touch more vanilla and balsamic "flavor" here. In my opinion, Any version, is worth having, if you're a Shalimar fan...
02nd June, 2019 (last edited: 25th January, 2020)
I admit, I'm a Highland whisky kinda gal. I like my Edradour, Dalmore, and GlenDronach whisky. I don't like peat and I don't like smoke in my drink, but I often make exceptions for whisky's like Bunnahabhain, which has just the slightest ever tinge of smoke.

The same can be said for the EdT version of Shalimar - there is a slight ting of smokiness or burnt wood in the EdT which doesn't present itself at all in the perfume version. I can also see why the EdT version doesn't get as much love as the slightly burnt notes can turn some people off.

It's still lovely none the less, but not the best in this range. I'd recommend you seek out Shalimar Ode à la Vanille : Sur la Route du Mexique if you can.
06th August, 2018