Artisan Pure (2017)

PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc

About Artisan Pure

The company say:

John Varvatos Artisan Pure is inspired by the verdant and lush hills of Xalapa, Mexico and its vast coffee and citrus groves. Redolent, luxurious citrus notes bring an understated elegance to modern, sun-warmed woods. The fragrance is a crisp, woody citrus scent, as refined as it is cool. Highlighted are three distinct types of petitgrains, which use all elements of the citrus tree: leaves, branches and tender fruit; as well as the best quality of orris.

Reviews of Artisan Pure

I can't believe this costs less per ML than Ferrari bright neroli while being so much better. It is less linear, and you can smell way more notes. I might end up buying a backup bottle.
15th March, 2020
A superb citrus Summer fragrance with a unique twist. Although not a listed note, I can't help but notice a massive dose of chili pepper in this one, it might also just be paprika. It's there and it's very apparent, especially in the initial opening. As it fades the chili blends into what appears to be neroli, jasmine, iris, and citruses. I can make out all of these notes, but they do well sticking together, and blending well. I also get coriander but no cardamom. the dry down is sweet and woodsy and lasts a good 6-8 hours on skin.

I'd label this one a spicy aromatic citrus. the first time I sampled it, I thought it was just a good citrus. It wasn't until I bought a bottle that I realized the amount of depth in this fragrance. It's damn good, and for the price now, around $35 for a 4.2 oz bottle, you can't go wrong.
03rd March, 2020
Has anyone sprayed CK One on one wrist and Artisan Pure on the other and compared the 2 scents?
Eerily similar to my old nose.

25th October, 2019
Another Artisan flanker, here we go!

This opens up with a lemon and orange citrus blast that's reminiscent of the same initial blast that you get with Colonia by Acqua di Parma (1916). With Colonia, you're on a short timer counting down to when that citrusy blast starts to fade, and we're talking a matter of minutes. Artisan Pure seems to be able to capture those scents and keep them around for a while. What gives this a really nice touch is the orris and jasmine, providing a soft floral bed for those bright citrus notes, which in AdP's Colonia, have an almost irritating effect at first. It definitely smells synthetic, but in a very tasteful way.

This is a very bright, soapy citrus -- yet another of the "high-end hotel soap" fragrances -- but this is definitely done right. It's very clean-smelling and is perfect for warm weather wear. As it dries down, the citrus becomes muted and what remains is a woody base with some citrus and floral remnants, but it will stick around for a while. This has surprisingly good projection and longevity.

Rodrigo Flores-Roux has really created some gems under the John Varvatos name, and Artisan Pure deserves to sit in that pantheon of well-crafted scents. I have a few Varvatos fragrances that I own and enjoy, and after wearing this, I'm pretty sure that I'll be adding Artisan Pure to my collection -- especially since it is relatively inexpensive. My previous comments should be emblematic as to why I'm giving this a thumbs up. A very, very nice designer fragrance.

18th June, 2019 (last edited: 26th June, 2019)
I initially dismissed Artisan Pure. It was a "pure" scent to the point of being boring, similar to the simplistic 4711 (or TF Neroli Portofino).

I gave this one a second go-around, and my opinion completely changed. I still got a very fresh, hot weather-friendly opening, again, similar to 4711.

Then it gets reminiscent of Artisan Acqua, herbal but not as bitter. It's a little more mature at this point, kind of keeping in line with the rest of the JV line.

Then it gets to this third phase where it becomes smoother, softer, and more modern.

It's rare when I encounter a fragrance where I like all of its stages equally.
This is my new favorite in the line, and probably the best all-around fragrance from the house of John Varvatos.
22nd April, 2019
What a shame. At first this appears a fresh lemony blast without that awful sweetness and barbershopiness of other similar scents such as G Eof Trumper Cologne. Is this a cheap version of D R Harris Windsor which itself is lovely and fresh but disappears in a wisp of disappointment after 20 minutes? No it smells like those lemon anti mosquito tablets or something similar. Puts me right off. Such a shame.

Fragrance: 6/20

Shop for Artisan Pure products online

Shop for Artisan Pure at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Artisan Pure

There are no member images of Artisan Pure yet. Why not be the first?