Hyrax (2018)

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerSven Pritzkoleit

About Hyrax

The company says:

At the heart of Zoologist Hyrax is a daring, seldom-used ingredient in the art of perfumery –– African stone, or hyraceum, giving this bold animalic scent its distinctive signature. This unique perfume skillfully blends saffron, pink pepper, whiskey, rose and musks to invoke an abstract image of a dusty African mountainscape. Like the nimble hyraxes that spill from hillside crevices in search of the sun upon their musky hides, this scent will weave its way into your senses with a light but primal touch.

Hyrax fragrance notes

Reviews of Hyrax

It's a milder version of Hyde, and not unpleasant, but there is something contradictory in presenting such bold smoky notes in such a subdued manner. It probably be more a winner if it was bolder.
10th June, 2021
alexmate Show all reviews
Fragrance in three words: Dirty Hamster Cage

Hyrax is based on the desert mammal Hyrax. Looks wise these are similar to the Pika, a desert mouse immortalised by Pikachu in the Pokémon videogames.

What I'm immediately hit with are really dirty animal notes: hot urine drying on stones, faeces and even animal fur. This is a strong divisive fragrance.

There's a really nice natural rose in the mix somewhere, reminding me of the dirty rose in Theo Fennell Scent (2007). I get the heat of desert air. I mainly get a dirty, seductive animalic leather. This isn't the new wallet smell of Tom Ford's Ombré Leather (2018) or the clean green leather of Givenchy Gentleman (2017); Hyrax is much rawer.

This isn't sexy scent by any means, but I find myself drawn to it. It delivers on concept and it's bold. The downside is it's difficult to wear. Projection is enormous in hot weather with pungent notes of pepper and what some people will describe as rat piss. Longevity is also around the 8 hour mark, with it still being skin scent the day after. Price in the UK (2021) is £165 for 60ml EdP, not cheap, but not a rip either.

Rating 8 out of 10.

Source: 1ml Sample
13th March, 2021 (last edited: 12th May, 2021)
TLDR: Excellent (4.25/5). Great stuff.

Reviewing from a full bottle. Multiple wearings.

I love this stuff. Mrs. Smell'dwell asked me to scrub it off the first time I wore it. We have agreed to disagree.

ANIMALIC. Wonderfully crafted. The saffron and rose in the opening succeed in taking the edge off the initial blast.

The heart and dry down smooth into an amber-centered blend with some patchouli and sandalwood in the mix. Interestingly, as has been noted by other reviewers here, the overall impression I get is that this is a leather fragrance, although I sense that the leather impression here is an illusion caused by the interplay of the various elements in the blend. Castorium and hyrax elements are most likely responsible for this wonderful olfactive illusion.

I keep smelling my wrist when I wear this scent. To my nose, it smells like vintage Kouros with a little rose mixed in.

Siliage is just under moderate and fades considerably in the latter half of the 6-8 hour duration. I particularly enjoy this fragrance in colder weather.

Folks who do not love animalic scents should give this one a wide bearth.

For the rest of us, who enjoy a bit of the beastly in our scents, this one is definitely bottle worthy.
09th March, 2021 (last edited: 18th April, 2021)
Plant animal

Its a vegan flavored animalic. Smells semi credible as an animalic, like tofurkey. In the drydown, it goes all woody amber. Listen, i expect better from Zoologist. They usually do better work than this. It fooled me on the first wear a bit. Second time, trash.
It is not the animalic nature, that some people dislike, that turns me off. It could be something that I like in the opening. It seems bold, it seems strong. Indeed it is quite potent. But when it dries down to the base, it is a poorly composed chemical base. It leans in to some of the woody amber aromachems that blend in well overall with a fragrance, but unbalance a fragrance dry down, say 6-8 hours after application. Frankly, it smells bad to me. Chemically and harsh, like a clone company ignoring the final stages to sell a quick bottle.

30th September, 2020 (last edited: 17th October, 2020)
Some kid had diarrhea in a just-cleaned-up hospital wing. Then someone put incense to hide it and failed.

Ok, this is well done, but don’t wear it.
03rd August, 2020
At first I smell dried clay which smells old and dusty. This is a powerful dry and clean sun baked type of clay. Few top notes, none. There are so many dry animalic and powdery dust notes in here which create this intense dry clay smell with a slight warm skin aroma that smells like an earthy tuberose that is emanating through the dusky darkness of dried mud and stone. Turkish Rose, Hyacinth plus whiskey and amber gives that slight floral warmth that escapes unnoticed until an hour after application and then it just barely escapes the dryness of saffron, african stone, benzoin, castoreum, tonka and sandalwood. I don't get a fecal smell at all with Hyrax, but it does have a dried dusty floral tone that never overcomes the musky dry scent as the primary aroma. I like this scent, but it is an oddball and I could never recommend it without testing.
04th June, 2020