Extreme Speed (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseMichael Kors
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances

About Extreme Speed

Extreme Speed is a masculine fragrance by Michael Kors. The scent was launched in 2018

Extreme Speed fragrance notes

Reviews of Extreme Speed

Herbal Updated Fragrance

As designers go, and on the lowish end of the designer spectrum moving toward cheapy, the Michael Kors line just isn't something that gets love. This one is pretty nice though. Its really got some herbal smooth suave thing in the opening. Sage, in all its sageness, not one of those clary sage notes that just is for filler, this one is very present. Cypress is the main player. Its got some of that violet ambiance. I like this one a lot. Dumb name, but the bottle is actually pretty nice. Pictures don't look as nice as it does in person. Feels good. I found it lasted well into the evening, though in the drydown it became pretty aromachem, but hey, its a Michael Kors. This would be a step up from most of the stuff you see in this realm. Pretty well blended, but the materials in the backend show some of their cheapness.
16th September, 2020
Clean, fresh, herbal, peppery and unisex, to me anyway. Also, I get a bit of dirty cumin in the opening that settles quickly. Reminds me of Lalique White in its character, not a clone, except with less citrus. The drydown, which comes hours later, is sweeter and woodier. It’s all very pleasant and seems best for daytime wear and mature wearers.

Performance is excellent on me with all day longevity and projection that is easily smelled by others throughout. Can become cloying if over sprayed.
24th October, 2019
Michael Kors isn't exactly a name that screams "quality" to fragrance enthusiasts. If the inaugural masculine release, Michael for Men (2001), still earns some respect, it has since become one of the houses in the Estée Lauder stable that seems to have received the least investment and promotion, and new releases from the house turn up at discounters without much delay.

However, there are interesting goings on at Estée Lauder these days, and good fragrances seem to be creeping in in unexpected places (consider the surprising revival of Aramis with Tobacco Reserve and Special Blend, and then there's stuff like the bewilderingly bold MAC Shadescents line). So when I heard Extreme Speed was unexpectedly good, I wanted to give it a sniff.

The stupidly and blandly named Extreme Speed is not at all very "extreme," but it is a rather nice, removed, formal release that feels a bit like an attempt to create a "for the modern man" synthsmooth take on the Grey Flannel brief by way of Tom Ford aesthetics.

Extreme Speed opens with a blast of spice with some very prominent cardamom, which dances on top of a creamy, cool blend of woods and increasingly prominent violet. This is a dusty, dark, shadowy scent that starts cool and slightly warms as it moves into the late drydown. It's not very sweet and feels formal, so this is a mature-leaning creation.

Another way of describing Extreme Speed would be to say that Estée Lauder built a fragrance around the violet note from Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16, which was absent from the 2018 variant of Ombré Leather. This is all about that dark, dry violet note, smoothed out with woods so that it isn't syrupy or fruity (no "grape soda" vibes here). If its aromatic effects were a bit more brazen, it wouldn't be hard to imagine this as a Tom Ford release, ala Ombré Violet.

If Extreme Speed isn't exactly an attention-grabbing stunner--it's an aloof and somewhat subtle creation--it's commendably solid designer fare that offers a unified, coherent composition and a distinctive feeling. Longevity is good with discreet protection and sillage (this is office scent material).
08th October, 2019 (last edited: 10th October, 2019)
Blind-buying is always a risky proposition, and I was in a TJ Maxx and saw that they had Extreme Speed in a 4.1 oz bottle for $29.99. Not being familiar with it, and looking up the note profile on basenotes while I was there in the store, I saw that ES has a few notes that I'm partial to; cardamom, violet, and cedarwood. So, I figured "what the hell" and bought it.

I really like it! It opens up with a nice dose of cardamom, with the cypress and sage not as pronounced. The violet is nicely represented, as well. My worry was with the cinnamon, as perfumers sometimes go too heavy on it, and it creates a "heating" aspect to fragrances that I don't enjoy. Luckily for me, the cinnamon is very restrained, and for that matter, not really noticeable. The cedarwood is solid and the patchouli is also restrained; again, that's good for me as patchouli can easily overpower a fragrance if not reined in. The tolu balsam gives this a very "buttery" feel to it that makes it both spicy, yet creamy and not too sharp. During the drydown, the more pronounced cedarwood base is not too dissimilar to that of St. Kitts (2015) by Tommy Bahama, another well-done fragrance that can also be found in Marshalls/TJMaxx/Ross, etc.

The only thing I don't like about this fragrance is the name. I have come to dread anything with "extreme" in the name, and "speed" is the last thing that comes to my mind when I smell this. This is a much classier scent than its moniker suggests, and for the price I paid, I think it's a steal.

Thumbs up for this dark horse.
05th September, 2019

Add your review of Extreme Speed

Shop for Extreme Speed products online

Shop for Extreme Speed at online perfumeries

Search on eBay

Member images of Extreme Speed

There are no member images of Extreme Speed yet. Why not be the first?