Alien Man (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Alien Man

Alien Man is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2018

Alien Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Alien Man

Inspired by a autumn special evening. imagine yourself in a full tuxedo,at a french casino with a gorgeous woman on the arm and a glass of aged whiskey in the other.A super safe scent for men.it has the perfect hint of masculinity and is really a hit with the ladies.
Alien Man opened to the freshness of fresh dill&mint and the refined sound of lemon.exciting sensual notes of heart combine the warth of geranium with the intriguing sound of cashmere wood and osmanthous.base notes express the sexuality of dense amber,the elegance of leather and the sensuality of vanilla,creating an captivating fragrance for a kind-hearted and generous but very mysterious(at the same time) renaissance Gentleman leaving in a mansion.
07th December, 2020
Sometimes, strange notes can create unique smells. In the case of Alien Man, no, just no!

The opening is sweet, sugary, syrupy, fruity, gourmand-ish. The dry down smells like wet concrete. For comparisons, it smells like CK Reveal Man meets Narciso Rodriguez for Him. The combination is unbalanced.

However, in the even that this may intrigue you, as it has many of my colleagues here. It does perform pretty well.

I am huge Mugler fan. I own the majority of the A*Men collection, as well as a few others from the brand. But, I think this is just horrible. Buy at your own risk, but I would seriously sample this before committing to blind buying a bottle.
11th October, 2019
This is actually a very nice low-key spicy fragrance for men. It maybe smells more like something from the 90's than today, but that's what makes it sort of refreshing and unique. It's a little tricky to explain how it smells; there's a sweet/fresh smell in the top that seems like it's part anise and mint, and part something else, a little greener and more herbal. I suppose it could be "dill" although it doesn't exactly smell like it, at least not the kind you cook with. But it lends a sweet/herbal/green aspect to the whole and actually plays a pretty significant roll in the overall smell. There's flashes of an herbal, green variety of lavender here as well, but it's quiet, softer, and blends in and out with the anise, mint, and dill. Beneath its sweeter, fresher side, Alien Man shows some soft suede and a cozy, almost-smoky cashmere wood embellished with pepper. While it's not prominent or dominating at a any moment, I get a good dose of pepper in Alien Man, and it seems to be what gives it most of its spicy character. I have to say that the base is very nice. The cashmere wood is soft, and while it's entwined with amber, it's not THAT woody-amber smell that's everywhere (those sort of chemical, scratchy-fuzzy sweet woods). It's much easier on the nose and stays more in the background rather than taking over and dominating as the other kind usually does. The suede is also a nice touch, and it lends a smooth, rounded texture to the base as well its subtle, unique smell. Finally, amber by itself also emerges in the base, and in the beginning this one has a crusty, salt-licked little edge to it that almost suggests an animalic quality or freshly sweaty skin. But it's very low-key and dialed back at the same time, something you might not notice at first, but could if you looked for it. Finally, the amber takes on a more powdery-sweet, white-ish hue and this is the last stage of the fragrance's development. Though it retains traces of what preceded it, in the end it is mostly amber which dominates.

I guess I could have written a much shorter review of Alien Man and said "it's a spicy-fresh, sweet herbal fragrance for men with some soft cashmere wood and suede in the base," and to some extent, that's what it is, but I don't think that would give you any real idea of its smell. I'm still not sure if the description above exactly nails it, but if you can't obtain a sample, it may at least give you a rough idea of what it's like.

One thing Alien Man is not, is generic. I don't know where those comments came from. I haven't smelled one recent release that comes even close to smelling like Alien Man. The sweetness in its top is not some vague fruit concoction, or tonka-laden lavender, or pink pepper/cinnamon blend you could find in a bunch of other fragrances--it's a sort of bizarre but pleasant herbal-green sweetness infused with anise and mint. And the base is a soft, easy-going cushion of gentle woods and suede. It's not bursting at the seams with aroma chemicals; it's not presenting some form of "hyper-fresh" woods, nostril piercing in their tenacity and pitch. If the woods in Alien Man don't exactly smell natural, they at least smell pleasant and approachable.

But I understand the ho-hum reactions to this one. I understand the disappointment. Mugler is a company known for its bombastic, over-the-top creations, beginning with A*Men and ending with whatever was the latest A*Men flanker in a very long line of A*Men flankers. So when it was announced they were releasing a new men's fragrance, everyone's mind naturally went to this big, loud, impressive place. Meanwhile Alien Man went the other way. It went somewhere quiet and understated, opting for finesse and restraint over fireworks and volume. There's no real "wow factor" to Alien Man. It's not going to knock your socks off or blow your mind. But at the same time, it smells really nice. It the type of fragrance that has signature-scent potential. You can wear it everywhere and anywhere, and nobody's going to ask you to leave the room because you stink. In fact, most people will probably react well to it just because it smells so nice. I can't say the same for Ultra Zest or Pure Leather or Pure Malt or Kryptomint. Even though I love many of these scents, wearing them can be a crapshoot. In the end, I think Mugler made the right choice here. By releasing Alien Man they added a versatile, understated, and easy-to-wear option to their lineup. And they've still left plenty of room for Alien Man Intense.

Alien Man's performance is solid, and 5 good sprays seem to do trick and really get it rolling. Projection is moderate, but present, as it should be for a scent like this. It creates a nice smell around its subject but doesn't shout. Longevity is about 8 hours. As far as seasons, I think this could be worn any time of the year save for the hottest months, and as far as occasions it seems to have good range, from the most casual situations to more formal, dressy events. As stated earlier, it's the kind of fragrance that could be used as a signature scent.

In approaching Alien Man I finally followed my New Year's resolution and ordered a sample rather than blind buying a full bottle, but now that my sample has run out, it looks like a bottle is on the horizon. Different enough from anything else I own and something that will be easy and fun to wear, Alien Man gets an overall score of 8 out of 10 and is recommended for sampling. Go into this one with tempered expectations and you may enjoy it.

UPDATE: This is much STRONGER than I'd been lead to believe at first. I get more than above average projection and a solid 8 to 10 hour longevity every time I wear this. It's also taken a bit of a darker turn, losing some of its greenness and resembling more the dark color purple of the flacon. I really, really enjoy this.

12th August, 2019
'Hella' weird...

I drove 2 hours round trip to smell this and it's far worse than I had anticipated. I didn't even need to give this a proper wearing to dissect it. Took all of an hour on the drive home until I did arrive, went directly into the bathroom and scrubba dubbed dubbed.

This is a super discordant opening laid onto your (nowadays) totally synthesized base of your typical, iso e super, cashmeran, cashmere wood, all heavy duty aroma chemicals with insane lasting power and throw. All I was getting on the drive home in my climate controlled environment was an incredibly strong and incredibly overpowering osmanthus flower drenched in a synthetic amber, vanilla, dill and cashmeran. It's an absolute 'horrendous' combination thanks to this weird ass dill note. It was an overpowering sweet fest covered in herbs, icky!

Why in God's name would you pair a yellow floral, strongly mind you because this note needs to be voted waaay up on that scale as in like the first note, with dill! It's disgusting.

The end result is a very feminine perfume that smells like overripe peaches, dill pickles, a syrupy sweet vanillic and synthesized wood accord that projects like crazy. I hate this. I've smelled Alien for Women and that's a stellar perfume, this is garbage. Peaches you ask? Well, freshly blooming osmanthus flowers smell like juicy, overripe peaches and this scent is chocked to the 'hilt' with peach stank.

I'm sorry for the lovers of this which I'm certain are few and far between but this isn't a perfume, it's a strange ass smell that smells anything but masculine.

The kicker to this that ultimately sealed the deal is that there's a skosh of Febreeze floating about here. Whomever created Febreeze should be shot, ran over with a bus numerous times and then set on fire but with matches, so it's a very long time. I loathe Febreeze with my every being.
10th July, 2019
Almost incredible how much this fragrance is excellent and terrible at the same time.

It reminds me of the end of the nineties of the 20. century and the first decade of the 21. century. Smells exactly as "you/we've smelled this before". There's an idea here that gives certain whiffs of Gucci Envy For Men, then a bit of V&R Antidote, also a bit of Givenchy Very Irresistble For Men because of that gourmand note.

It strikes a chord, that is, emotions in me. Emotions of those times from the past decade. Going out, those moving around moments, girls I've dated and all the good and bad moments with them. Friends and acquintances I haven't heard from a long time now.

This is a frag that taps you on the shoulder and says: come on man, remember those times a bit, it's not a sin, it wasn't that bad. Ironic, reminds you of the past times and the fragrance didn't even exist!

Final judgement: very bad and very good at the same time. Becomes harshly synthetic and very dull in the drydown. I can't see myself wearing it and yet I want to give it a shot again and again.

Originality: 6/10
Scent: 7/10
Longevity: 9/10
Projection: 7/10
_________________________
72,50%

11th May, 2019 (last edited: 12th May, 2019)
Frankly I'm slightly disappointed by this brand new male Mugler's creation quite unable to live up to the woman-Alien's fame and its bombastic uncompromising sensuality. Tested this one twice on skin and to b honest I don't really see the point. Mugler Alien Man opens weirdly with a fleeting synth watery amberish tonkinian accord plus a huge dose of yet up emerging cashmeran wood (overall averagely sweet, cinnamonic, dry and cedary a la Montblanc Legend Night) combined with top herbal, anisic (anise, dill), leafy floral (grassy bitter geranium) and aromatic elements balancing the synth ambery/spicy mildness and barely anchoring by soon the juice to a more classic aromatic/fougere tradition. Bitter herbs, hints of suedish leather and kind of pencil shavings smoked woods (a la Montblanc Legend) characterize the woody/leathery/herbal (darker and drier) dry down. Tonka, musk, geranium, lavender, aromatic herbs and dry woods "recall" the fruitier Montblanc Legend's woody-aromatic aura under my profane nose. Whereas Legend is fruitier and more sparkling (citric) in its top and central stage Alien Man is more focused on smoked woods, peppery spices and mild tonka. Leather, bitter herbs, a tad of rubber and smoked/pencil shavings woods provide a quite dry/woody final mark. Finally the persistence is really short on my skin.
10th February, 2019

Add your review of Alien Man

Shop for Alien Man products online

Shop for Alien Man at online perfumeries

Search on ebay

Member images of Alien Man

There are no member images of Alien Man yet. Why not be the first?