Nouveau Monde (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseLouis Vuitton
PerfumerJacques Cavallier-Belletrud

About Nouveau Monde

Nouveau Monde is a masculine fragrance by Louis Vuitton. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud

Nouveau Monde fragrance notes

Reviews of Nouveau Monde

Nouveau Monde is a bold and aggressive floral, saffron, cocoa and oud fragrance that is definitely a "test it first" fragrance. It is bold, beautiful, in your face, harsh if you abuse it, but also sublime and soft suede around the edges. Nouveau Monde resides in a similar neighborhood of fragrance with Tom Ford Noir de Noir , Vilhelm Parfumerie Oud Affair and even MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait. There is no mention of floral notes here, however I am picking up aromas of jasmine, rose and violet over a dark oudish wood, maybe a touch of patchouli, softened with saffron and cocoa powder. The cocoa/saffron definitely warms and softens things up towards the consistency of dark soft suede. Don't underestimate this fragrance. It is a bold, fashion forward, even posh extrovert of a fragrance. Usage might require a half spritz used wisely to be sufficient. While this scent is definitely not for everybody, it is a striking statement of sublime beauty, for those brave enough to take this on. Rating: 8 of 10 stars.
19th May, 2021
Rose Oud fragrance that's well blended. I'm not feeling this one however. There is a sweetness that isn't working for me. I do love some gourmand fragrances, so it's not because it's sweet per se, but it's the particular sweetness I'm smelling here. Maybe it's the saffron note that I'm not liking in this blend. Not sure but this ones a pass for me.
24th April, 2021
TLDR: Excellent (4/5). Sophisticated rose oud with saffron and (most likely) some real, slightly rough oud blended with great synthetics. The interplay between the oud and the minor notes is beautiful.

Saying Jacques Cavallier is very good with oud is, I guess, rather like saying Messi is very good with the ball at his feet. Still, if M7 didn't cement M. Cavallier's place in the oud fragrance hall of fame, the ouds in the Louis Vuitton line have to have done so.

I have at least sampled all of the LV ouds except the recent Pur Oud*. Nouveau Monde is the only one of them I chose to get in a full bottle. I have still waited quite some time to review this fragrance because initially, I was unsure this fragrance was anywhere close to being worth what I paid for it.

After a number of wearings, I have concluded that this stuff really is excellent--even at the price.

The oud here is great. I am relatively certain there is some real oud blended with the synthetics. There is some fecal waft in the tippy top notes but it fades fast and from there on out, the oud is Western-smooth and endures for ages.

What makes this fragrance, and the nose work on display here, stand out is the beautiful way the oud is framed. Saffron and cardamom are here, as is a dry rose. So far, so typical, but there is also patchouli harmonizing with cacao and a nice warm vanilla. Some woods anchor the base. This is great formulation and blending and it lifts this fragrance above the many similar products out there.

I have ultimately come to love this fragrance more than the many other Western designer ouds I own (I am currently really into this type of fragrance). There is a beautiful subtlety to Nouveau Monde that comes from the way the other notes interact with the oud that.

These Vuitton fragrances are well and stylishly presented and the atomizers are very good. Try to get a sample or decant and give this scent a couple of full days wear before you decide about it. At the asking price, you'll probably have planned to do so anyway.

You may come to like Nouveau Monde as much as I do, in which case, the price is abundantly fair. Recommended.
_______
*While typing this review, I learned that one of my sisters-in-law, who thinks that (like solar and wind energy,) money is infinitely renewable, has a bottle of Pur Oud waiting for me when I get back to Dubai. (Yeah!). Look for a review of this LV fragrance in the fall after I get to wear it a few times.
21st April, 2021
Nice fresh lemony with touches of wood fragrance settling to cocoa and wood then fairly linear. Masculine but not aggressively so. Good projection even better longevity.
Interestingly it reminds me of Carved Our by Thameen buy the latter is drier , more uncompromising and less interesting.
This will be my signature scent unless what I have coming from TNRP is better.

Fragrance: 8/10 but you need an evening scent if you want something more multifaceted and deeper.
Projection: 7/10
Longevity: 8/10

I wrote another less flattering review recently giving it a neutral. Just shows how perception can change.
27th January, 2020 (last edited: 16th February, 2020)
This is a rose and oud perfume, and there's no surprise here, but it is well done, smells appropriately "expensive" to suit the luxury Veblen model of Louis Vuitton, and also has the appropriate minimalist bottle presentation to be in step with niche perfume practices. Louis Vuitton Nouveau Monde (2018) is more than just a well-researched Western take on a Middle Eastern genre, as the phenomenal talents of Jacques Cavallier are brought to bear here (as with all the Louis Vuitton line) since he has been mostly adopted as house perfumer for the venerable designer's leap into the prestige perfume segment. This won't tickle the fancy of hardcore oud aficionados, but Nouveau Monde is good if the price is right. Nouveau Monde is also part of the huge initial roll-out of scents for Louis Vuitton and can currently be sampled only in boutiques or stores specifically consigned to sell the line like Neiman Marcus, so getting your hands on a sample may be tricky until this stuff has infiltrated the gray market a bit and starts appearing on sampling sites for decant purchases.

Rose and saffron come out of the gate with a leathery barnyard oud similar to Christian Dior Leather Oud (2010), but with the jock strap smell toned down a few notches by comparison. Jacques Cavallier must have taken notes from François Demachay in the oud presentation department, but complicates things with the additional gourmand elements of caramel and vanilla in the heart, then that oud in the base flanked by an olibanum incense note, amber, and sandalwood. I'm sure everything here is at least adulterated with synthetics if not entirely artificial, since this is $250 for 100ml and not $500 for 30ml of extrait, but it performs appropriately with good sillage and all-day longevity.
I can't say much more than that about Nouveau Monde, as it really is just a swirl of Western oud takes in a blender, with an uncommonly animalic growl usually reserved for the real deal, but dialed back to Western tolerances of politeness. Still, this should only be used romantically and likely not in sweltering heat unless you are very audacious with fragrance.

Midway between the rose of Montale Black Aoud (2006) and the leather/oud tandem of Leather Oud, Nouveau Monde is a "more the merrier" kind of addition to a niche perfume fan who doesn't flinch on price and wants several variations on a theme. Since this isn't loaded down with patchouli like the Aramis Perfume Calligraphy (2012) line, or extremely medicinal cut with amber or tobacco like the host of oud flankers produced by Versace, Armani, or Varvatos, Nouveau Monde may feel worth the sticker price if something like Oudh Infini from Parfums Dusita (2015) scares you and Areej le Doré Russian Oud (2018) is too scarce to be bothered fighting over. For the asking price of $250, there are still many other things I'd personally choose over this, like Diptyque Oud Palao (2015), which brings a similar barnyard rose oud to the table with a bit of a darker unfettered tone that I prefer, but Nouveau Monde is certainly worth a sampling to anyone looking to drop some coin on a quality Western oud take that doesn't smell like a seventh generation YSL M7 (2002), which is ironically another oud fragrance touched by the hands of Jacques Cavallier. Thumbs up!
03rd June, 2019
I’m far from a perfume expert but I do have an extensive collection of Tom Ford PB perfumes and this just took the crown. Let me describe my experience:

I love this perfume, it smells very posh and reminds me of the LV boutique and their leathers. On my skin it lasts easily 2 days and on clothing more than a month. Sillage is also great, when just sprayed on it fills the entire room.

At first Oud is a bit overwhelming but it tones down to form a harmony of saffron, cacoa and Oud. This is easily the most interesting perfume in their line. It mostly reminds me of luxurious leathers as found in BMW / Mercedes and the Louis Vuitton boutique.
03rd January, 2019