Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne (1965)
by Guerlain

PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne is a masculine fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1965 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Paul Guerlain

Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Well-blended top notes; not too bitter, even-keeled citrus, very masculine... The heart is a beautiful mix of lavender, of course, with gentle spice and it is aromatic with the other florals and woods. Hard to pinpoint individual notes, which is what I prefer in a fragrance.

Becomes powdery, leans towards the feminine now. Tender rose.

Base is lightly amber-ish, with a mossy note. Base is well-mixed as well. Good scent overall. It seems as if from another time...
16th June, 2020
As luck would have it, my samples of the vintage EDC and the current EDP arrived almost simultaneously, so I have a modern version to compare with this 1987 cologne edition.

The first word that leapt to mind smelling the vintage was "suave". That lightly sweetened citrus and powder: Mmm, a Fred Astaire of a scent. In a tuxedo. But my favorite part might be the moss, which to me is a clear green, without the mustiness that often comes with moss. I didn't pick up much floralcy in it (fine with me!), but the light spice (nutmeg? clove?) and vanilla in the base, along with the woods, carried that suave feeling right through to the end.

By comparison, the modern EDP is denser in every department, as if the whole scent had gone from a tenor to a baritone. Everything's darker, especially the moss and spice. It's not bad, but if the EDC was tapdancing on my skin, the EDP is clogging in wooden shoes. (I'm mixing my singer and dancer metaphors, but hopefully you get my drift.)

Now the sad part: as admirable and pretty as the vintage EDC is, it isn't really something I would want to smell on a man. Unless, possibly, that man was Fred Astaire. It's almost too lovely; I think I prefer my masculine scents to be a little more.... spiky?

18th May, 2019
it's like the current EDT , but with lots of added little bells and whistles...a little more bittery than the EDT with some bitter/sour citrus...i get mostly orange supported very nicely by some lime...a little more bittery roughness added by carnation/herbs...smells more rugged than the EDT...more formal and business like...a little dusty/powdery...some nice woodiness that strikes me as the sawdust or shavings of the woods...sweetens up with some vanilla , but doesn't give me the dreamsickle effect I get from the EDT...this retains its seriousness...the vanilla is more ambery than super-sweet...like this one a lot...something I would really enjoy wearing...
13th August, 2018

Add your review of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

Shop for Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne

There are no member images of Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne yet. Why not be the first?