Hemingway (2018)

HouseMasque
PerfumerFanny Bal
SupplierIFF

About Hemingway

Hemingway is a shared / unisex perfume by Masque. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Fanny Bal

Hemingway fragrance notes

Reviews of Hemingway

Well executed dark vetiver

In the opening the vetiver is dry and dark. It has a rooty quality, and almost tenderly smoky. Interesting thing about this frag in the heart a liquor aroma shows up. Some say rum, but it is almost like vodka. Kinda like the alcohol from the filler almost becomes a note. Theres some woods, some kind of dry grassy cedarish type thing. I don’t get any rubarb, or any colored sweetness of any sort. The ginger is really only a background thing to sparkle the backside of the initial vetiver. The patchouli as well is just a thickener, meant to shade the vetiver down to the ground, and remove any hints of soap. There is some kind of kitchen spice in the heart as well that I am unable to place or identify. The whole thing feels complete. It’s a fully fleshed out idea, of a fragrance of standard complexity, and very well executed. I can see this wowing few, but I really like the way it sits. The weight is there, but the fragrance has a transparency that can make it wearable in any situation. Its fairly introspective, brooding, and not at all cheerful. Honestly I feel it would be a bit much for the office, just in its general demeanor.
05th September, 2020
Masque Milano (Homage to) Hemingway, or just “Hemingway,” Act 2, Perfume 3 from the line that I first smelled in sequence at Perfumology’s introductory event for the Masque Milano in June.

It’s palpably a vetiver-dominant fragrance, and, as owner/creative director Alessandro Brun emphasized, entails at least two types of vetiver (from Java and Haiti) and is, to my nose, a fairly sharp and bright vetiver experience while being sufficiently dark and smoky, really a jack of all trades. I find that it obtains an interesting middle-ground between ashy/smoky and fresh/bright. I wouldn’t really call it fresh at all, but it’s not a smoke monster (shout out to fans of Lost).

It opens with a pungent sharpness, the top notes of ginger and rhubarb no doubt facilitating this effective, with a heart of vetiver, drying down to a balanced blend of cedar, patchouli, and leather. Really, though, the blended vetiver heart tells most of the story as a sort of nod to Ernest Hemigway’s tenure in the Caribbean. I do not typically associate vetiver with the tropics, even though that’s where it comes from, since it feels like a suitable fragrant ingredient for the colder weather, but the same can be said of a lot of organisms that grow in hotter areas but whose yield nonetheless seems more apt for colder weather (i.e. coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oud).

My vetiver knowledge is far from extensive, but it’s far more to the ashy side along the lines of Lalique Encre Noire than to the fresher side like Guerlain Vetiver, though that’s a gross oversimplification. Surely this strikes me as a vetiver for vetiver fans, however, and fans of vetiver will love it and those less familiar with vetiver may be confused by it.

Hemingway is an immersive vetiver experience, somewhat intense but not overwhelming. It performs very well, though, a significant scent cloud coming from a few fairly minor sprays from the sample atomizer, but its cost, $145 for 35ml, even with the beautiful presentation, indicates that, like most of the line, you should sample it and love it before buying. I personally find it to be a fun fragrant experience though I know that I tend to reach for vetiver fragrances very seldom (I’ve a few: Guerlain Vetiver, Roja Vetiver Extrait, and Lalique Encre Noire a la Extreme).

7 out of 10
02nd October, 2019

Add your review of Hemingway

Shop for Hemingway products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Hemingway

There are no member images of Hemingway yet. Why not be the first?