Mousse Illuminée (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseRogue Perfumery
PerfumerManuel Cross

About Mousse Illuminée

Mousse Illuminée is a shared / unisex perfume by Rogue Perfumery. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Manuel Cross

Reviews of Mousse Illuminée

Stardate 20200817:

Old school mossy barbershop masculine. Floral notes cancel the hairy chest vibe and makes it unisex.
I have a bottle and I recommend it.
17th August, 2020
Well, they don't come any greener or mossier than this.

I sure don't get the POLO references.

It's well done and potent.

I don't hate it but just don't know that I want to smell this mossy.

I sure wish it reminded me of shaving cream. Or something.

It's unique and if you like it, there's nothing else like it.
09th August, 2020
Well let’s just say, I have about 75 FB’s of fragrances, and over 100 throughout 20 years of wearing and 10 years of actually building a collection.....and this is the first and only fragrance I’ve ever bought a backup bottle of!

Just cannot take the chance that they wouldn’t be able to make this anymore for whatever reason. Deserves all the accolades it gets!
19th June, 2020
drseid Show all reviews
Mousse Illuminee goes on skin with a brief blast of bracing wormwood as underlying tree moss is immediately detectable from the base before moving briskly to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the wormwood vacates, leaving the tree moss that ratchets up significantly to take on the focal role, significantly supported by a relatively transparent white musk and mossy-woody cypress tandem with underlying camphorous bay leaf and a touch of benzoin sweetness. During the late dry-down the composition stays linear with the slightly sweetened tree moss and cypress leading the way through the finish. Projection is excellent, as is longevity at well over 12 hours on skin.

I am not much of a tree moss lover, instead having a gargantuan preference for oakmoss, and unfortunately there is none here that I can detect (check out Rouge's stellar Chypre-Siam for what oakmoss smells like). As such, the tree moss focused Mousse Illuminee lost me near-immediately. That is not to say I believe the composition is not well-made and smells good, but as many compare Mousse Illuminee to vintage Polo, I confess I don't get the comparison, finding the composition all too dangerously close to vintage Drakkar Noir and particularly its semi-clone, vintage Caesars Man. I love vintage Caesars Man but honestly find it superior smelling with similar performance, and it cost me about $12 when I bought my 120 ml bottle years ago. The bottom line is the $125 per 60 ml Mousse Illuminee is a "good" smelling 3 stars out of 5 rated perfume that to me is superfluous when superior "cheapies" like the superior excellent smelling vintage Caesars Man can still be found on the after market for much less, yielding a neutral recommendation.
13th May, 2020
Ye gods... this is exactly what I want in a fragrance. Bitter, green, mossy, reminiscent of shaving cream and soap with a dry herbal bite. The artemisia in particular is just a gorgeously rendered note, but this is so much more than the sum of its parts.

Whilst totally unisex, so much of this resonates as classic masculine, not just because of 80s powerhouse level performance and the barbershop feel (along with a laurel note that ties this to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme)... but also because the dry herbal effect in the dry down is eerily reminiscent of the aroma of a scotch and water my dad poured for himself.

It probably won’t convert you if you don’t like a soapy bittergreen vibe. But if you do, get your hands on some. It’s heavenly.
05th May, 2020
I had MI on my test list rather before I had a full concept of the Rogue brand and aims. It just sounded so up my street. As a matter of fact, it's not, and if I wanted a near pitch-perfect fougere (and I always do), then I would go for Fougere l'Aube by the same house. However, there's no denying that this is another strong effort.

Essentially, MI starts out as a barbershop style scent with overtones of Rive Gauche. As it develops, though, it is dominated, on my skin, by artemesia (and so, similar to the scent of the same name by Pell Wall) and white musk. This turns it into feminine territory in my book, but not so that it could be worn by both or any gender. As other reviewers have noted, it's a genuine unisex scent. It's just that white musk note which turns me off a little. But testing recommended nonetheless.

And I have to get into one or more of these reviews that Rogue offers a genuinely good value, prompt, and nicely packaged sample set.
10th April, 2020