Vol de Nuit Extrait (1933)
by Guerlain

Vol de Nuit Extrait information

Year of Launch1933

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJacques Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Vol de Nuit Extrait

Named after the novel of the same name by poet and aviator, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. The perfume is "a tribute to women who like to take risks."

Reviews of Vol de Nuit Extrait

Vol de Nuit parfum (1984/94)

I had samples of both the vintage extrait and the modern EDT to compare side-by-side.

I think I might be trying to will myself to like this, just because it's admired by so many Basenoters who I in turn admire. But I'm not having to try very hard -- a citrussy green galbanum opening is a favorite of mine in almost any fragrance. I have to do a little forgiving with the narcissus, but it's not overwhelming enough to annoy me, and the iris is soft and quietly appealing. And that soft greenness carries right through to the classic custardy Guerlain ending.

The modern EDT, by comparison, is just sharper in every angle: much more moss, much less powder, and much more sweetness in the base. Again, not bad, but very lacking in that Guerlain "haze" that makes the parfum seem like you're smelling it through a silk veil.

I don't think I'm ever going to be a fanatic about Guerlain feminines -- that classic Guerlainade base is just not a selling point for me -- but if I were ever to splurge on a full bottle of one, the vintage Vol de Nuit might be the one. Not to mention that its square Deco bottle might be my favorite bottle in all of perfumery.
18th May, 2019
Vintage Parfum.

Yes, some similarities to the Habit Rouge and for me Shalimar Guerlain paintings. Where it beats those is with a Citric Marmalade start, the Green of the Galbanum and Poison moldiness of Oakmoss. A Sandalwood cushion surrounds and mellows. For me the Spiciness is rather hidden, however the Floral bouquet dances in the centre. A waxy stripe of Iris is struck across the canvas.
It leisurely, winds down to a surprising Baby powder finish.
For me, I'll take this before Shalimar and perhaps even the Habit Rouge.
05th February, 2019 (last edited: 07th September, 2020)

Add your review of Vol de Nuit Extrait