Moustache Original 1949 (2018)
by Rochas

Moustache Original 1949 information

Year of Launch2018

HouseRochas
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About Moustache Original 1949

Moustache Original 1949 is a masculine fragrance by Rochas. The scent was launched in 2018

Moustache Original 1949 fragrance notes

Reviews of Moustache Original 1949

There is one review of Moustache Original 1949.
First off, the bottle is gorgeous, and would befit a scent costing 5 times as much. It's really heavy, with an inch-thick glass bottom; pick this up by the cap and you could run the risk of losing a toe if you didn't snap the cap down fully. I weighed it on my kitchen scale: 1.5 pounds. All-metal sprayer mechanism, too.

I'm wearing this today side-by-side with my vintage Moustache eau de cologne. Note: this is NOT the vintage EDT concentree version with the tall gold cap. This is the old EDC with the hockey puck cap.

I'm sure no one expected this new version to hold up well against the original, given the restrictions on oakmoss and civet. I certainly didn't. But I have to say, this new stuff is not bad at all, although of course it's very, very different from its predecessor.

Original Moustache comes straight out of the gate with a huge bergamot/lime citrus blast, and unusually with oakmoss and civet appearing right at the start and sticking around for the whole ride. You hear a lot of complaints about "mustiness" in Moustache, and I think that smell is a variation on Roudnitska's signature "rotten fruit" accord -- but here the must is from lightly spoiled citrus rinds rather than peaches or melons. Have you ever had an orange or lemon go spoiled while sitting out, and noticed the gray fuzz that develops on the rotten spot? That's what the musty fruit in old Moustache smells like to me. And I like it. I also like the light note of pine that floats in and out of the whole scent.

You also hear people compare Moustache to Eau Sauvage, which I've never perceived, except for the basil notes. And Moustache had loads more of the mammalian funk (civet again) than ES. Moustache had some of that "clean/dirty" dichotomy that the French do so well.

The new stuff has, of course, been substantially neutered -- no civet, no spoiled fruit. It does have evernia prunastri listed in its ingredients, and there's some oakmoss echo in the mid and base phases. But primarily it's a clean, crisp citrus (mostly lime to my nose), with light-handed basil and tarragon. No florals that I detect, though geraniol is listed. It's dry, very pleasantly astringent, and not at all sweet -- unlike what I hear about its new EDP version sibling. There's nothing groundbreaking here, but it's a classic and well-mannered scent that would be a fine purchase for anyone looking to add a summer citrus to their wardrobe. And it would be an excellent scent for a young man just starting out in fragrances, especially with its very manly bottle.

It could have been so much worse. At the price, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Oh, and about longevity: normal for citrus colognes. I've had both on for about 4 hours, and the vintage cologne is long gone. The new is at skin level, like I'd showered with a lime soap. I sprayed some of the new stuff on my shirt at the same time, and it's still going strong. Both are still clearly detectable on paper.

My original plan was to pass this on to the boyfriend after I tested it, but that's not going to happen now. I'll be hanging onto this and using it as a citrus refresher this summer. It's completely unisex.
08th February, 2020 (last edited: 23rd June, 2020)

Add your review of Moustache Original 1949