Side Effect (2016)

Side Effect information

Year of Launch2016

HouseInitio

About Side Effect

Side Effect is a shared / unisex perfume by Initio. The scent was launched in 2016

Side Effect fragrance notes

Reviews of Side Effect

The opening is a clean vanilla with smokey oud. The oud is somewhat abrasive, stealing some of the spotlight from an extremely pleasant, warm and sexy, spiced vanilla. Later into the drydown it becomes sweeter and less smokey. Don’t be afraid of this oud, it’s just here in all cameo role.

Performance is interesting because it starts out pretty loud and feels like an all day screamer. But it softens rather quickly, making this quite possibly appropriate for times when you’ll be indoors or close with someone on a cooler day. Definitely a cool weather scent, way to sweet and smokey for warm weather. Longevity is just okay, maybe 6-7 hours for me. Projection gets lighter and lighter the deeper into the drydown.
15th December, 2019
Not getting much tobacco out of this and the booze feels like it's been silenced behind the overdose of cinnamon ; you can certanly find other offerings that are better priced than this one; wont repurchase.
20th September, 2019
I have a much lengthier, more detailed review of Side Effect on another website, but rather than copy and paste it here I thought I'd write a shorter, different review for Basenotes.

I went out to dinner tonight to a nice restaurant and I wanted to wear something a little special, a little more elegant and warm than my typical daily wear choices which involve a lot of fresh citrus notes, mint, and clean woods--so I chose Side Effect. It was the perfect choice.

Side Effect occupies the Tabac Rouge, Tobacco Vanille, Ambre Narguile, Herod dimension. It's largely centered around cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla, and rum. As a matter of fact, when I look up at the top of this page at its note pyramid, I see that those are the only notes that are listed in its pyramid. So it's a pretty simple fragrance. To break down by percentage, I'd say that it's 30% Cinnamon, 30% Rum, 20% tobacco, and 20% vanilla. My favorite note among these is the rum. Side Effect has an excellent rum note--it strikes the perfect balance between booze and spice and ends up smelling quite realistic as well. Its prominence in the composition is what sets it apart from the fragrances I mentioned previously, as none of them feature rum at all, let alone as one of the leading accords. The other notes are also very nice. The cinnamon has a good, piquant bite; the tobacco is smooth and fresh and resembles a quality pipe tobacco or perhaps even more, golden tobacco leaves rolled in a premium cigar; and the vanilla is smooth and creamy, like a dark vanilla ice cream, emerging later in the base and giving everything a nice, gourmand sort of finish. And of course everything works in harmony.

This is a time-tested and true combination of notes that always smells good together and it's no different here with Initio Side Effect. But what I like about Side Effect, and why it worked so well for me tonight when I went out to dinner, is its strength and how its projection is calibrated. Side Effect is not a loud, strong fragrance. It's politely restrained, never shouting or interfering with things outside its space. At the same time, it has persistent, steady presence. I was able to smell the fragrance all throughout dinner, but it was never even slightly distracting or intrusive .In the cold night air walking to and from the restaurant, it caught the breeze and escorted us on our stroll, lending just enough of its scent to be charming and enjoyed. And when I eventually came home, I didn't even want to take my sweater off because it smelled so good with the couple shots I sprayed under my shirt. This is what I think you will either like about Side Effect, or dislike about it. In my opinion, Side Effect is an example of how this combination of notes should be presented--never too loud or overwhelming but always steady and present. Its restraint shows class, and reveals the elegance of the notes. Too loud and they feel cheap and obvious, a tacky gourmand thrill meant to impress the novice; too soft and they're charm is lost, never to be fully enjoyed. Surely, some will find its restraint too subtle for their own tastes. They'll be looking for the wallop of Tobacco Vanille or the high intensity of Herod. They won't find it here. Side Effect is a grown-up's gourmand and don't get me wrong--you'll definitely smell it and it definitely has solid presence--it just doesn't beat you over the head with it. The ingredients are top notch, without a scratchy or discordant note in sight, and its classic theme is sure to be enjoyed by many. And again, while the previously mentioned fragrance seem to mostly focus on tobacco in combination with some of the other notes, Side Effect has a unique rum accord playing a central role throughout which makes it somewhat unique. Final rating: 9/10, and a definite Thumbs up.
17th March, 2019

Add your review of Side Effect

Shop for Side Effect products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Side Effect

There are no member images of Side Effect yet. Why not be the first?