Replica Whispers in the Library (2019)
by Martin Margiela

Replica Whispers in the Library information

Year of Launch2019

HouseMartin Margiela
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Replica Whispers in the Library

The company says:

Whispers in the library evokes the memory of a mysterious library made of antique woodwork perfectly waxed. The slowing down of time between books and the whispers of turning pages. Inspired by the scent of wax wood and paper, the combination of pepper notes with woody and warm notes of cedar and vanilla recreates the atmosphere of an ancestral library.

Replica Whispers in the Library fragrance notes

Reviews of Replica Whispers in the Library

This I am not a fan of. Not a bad scent, but the name doesn't really match IMO. I struggle to see vanilla in a library. I understand this to be evocative of a specific memory, which begs the question, why do I care about the perfumer's memory, if I cannot relate to it?
12th December, 2020
Not exactly terrible, but not anything to really write home about, Maison Margiela Replica Whispers in the Library (2019) is supposed to conjure images of old paper and fragrant wood shelves mixed with candles. The scent doesn't really do that for me personally, but what it does manage is pretty enough if you're looking for a calming scent to wear while reading. I'm not the biggest fan of the house going in, so my expectations were tempered thus, but even then I just barely "break even" with what's being presented.

The most simplistic of accords is this, opening with mainly an aldehyde and a bit of pepper. Supposedly cedar is here but if anything it's just Iso E Super adding woody volume, because beyond that, all I smell is vanilla. In fact, after about 30 minutes, this is primarily a vanilla scent, with no trace of old books or wooden shelves. I can see the candles comparison if those candles are vanilla, but that's it. Performance and wear time are teetering on below average, and I'd only use this as personal scent for home if at all. Best time of year is winter but you could get away with a scent this light in warm weather too.

Whispers in the Library is apologetic like a 90's light oriental, aimless to the point of insipid, but unerringly pleasant in spite of it. There are many better and more powerful vanilla fragrances plus Byredo does a thing about libraries that gets much closer than Maison Margiela Replica, so I'd check that one out instead. Not much more to say, a short review about a scent that by design has little to say itself. Any Sephora in the US should have this and elsewhere a perfume boutique, so it shouldn't be hard to track down, just try not to get too excited. Whispers in the Library is no page-turner. Neutral
17th September, 2020
Very light vanilla which fits the bill for a light vanilla fragrance. Replica accomplished their mission in doing the old book clone thing.
18th February, 2020
It's not a bad scent, but it's underwhelming compared to some of Maison Margiela's others, specifically Jazz Club and By the Fireplace. It's much fainter than both of those.
17th December, 2019
Whispers in the Library is dry, dusty, woody and mysterious, which I'd say is a pretty good thematic representation. The vanilla doesn't really fit the bill as well as the rest of the notes imo, but I think the sweetness that it adds was much needed. I also almost get a hint of varnish or lacquer, which isn't too harsh and gives it some character. It's a decent offering from the line and gets points for being unique, but I'm not really sold on it either.
07th November, 2019
I absolutely love this! I bought the 10ml samples of this and Coffee Break so that I could give them both a good try before I decided to buy a full bottle; which I have just done.

Although at first I was a bit underwhelmed, this really is a true representation of the Maison Margiela brand ethic of 'reproductions of familiar scents and moments of varying locations and periods'.

I do get a strong (but not sweet) vanilla but this is quickly pushed to the background by a very true representation of a polished wooden banister; and one that has had many hands pass over it over many years. This is such a comfort to me and reminds me of the building in my high school where the library was located! It's astounding how my mind is immediately transported back to those days in library staircase and hall in the mid 1980's!

The overall feeling is peppery, waxy & wooden and most of all comforting. Although not listed as a note, I think the base has some sandalwood too.

This fragrance puts a huge smile on my face and is worth every cent.
04th September, 2019

Add your review of Replica Whispers in the Library

Shop for Replica Whispers in the Library products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Replica Whispers in the Library

There are no member images of Replica Whispers in the Library yet. Why not be the first?