Etruscan Water (2019)

Year of Launch2019

HouseFrancesca Bianchi
PerfumerFrancesca Bianchi

About Etruscan Water

Etruscan Water is a green-citrusy perfume with character – or with a dirty/sexy vibe! It conveys the stunning odor of the typical Mediterranean vegetation and the salty, refreshing smell of the sea soothing your skin from the heat of the sun.

Reviews of Etruscan Water

Etruscan Water calls to mind the water drawn from deep stone lined wells that reach deep into the earth for cool water that has not seen the light of day. The opening of this fragrance does have a cold stone drawn water feel by the grapefruit over vetiver. Adding to this crisp light green watery aroma are bits of green basil and caraway. An indolic old floral note is added from jasmine that is made smooth by heart notes of iris. The iris note is a Bianchi staple and appears to add smooth mystery to almost every scent of hers that I have had the pleasure to try. The watery green iris flows over a base of ambergris and labdanum and provides an accurate metaphor for well drawn Etruscan Water. There is an old soul quality that is common to all of Bianchi perfumes I've tried and this comes from the complexity and contrasts in each. This perfume does remind me of water drawn from a stone well but the deep quality of the base and heart notes takes this far out of the oceanic green vetiver category and into its own artistic frame. Another very nice fragrance from Francesca Bianchi.
08th July, 2020
I would encourage you not to be misled by the word “water” in the name of this fragrance. Although it may connote something pale and light, that doesn’t apply to this in anyway. It is very robust. Smelling it directly from the sample I have, it seemed borderline awful with an unappealing, almost impenetrable thickness to the scent. I figured it would be a total wash.
Smelling it a few more times, at a greater distance from my nose, it began to seem more appealing, so I tried it on. I can only use the word refraction to describe what happened on application. It seemed to me similar to the effect of a prism where all the different colors that comprise the white light suddenly become visible. So we’re the notes in this fragrance.
All at once, to my nose, it became something very beautiful and rich: kaleidoscopic, spacious, and beautiful. Still robust, opulent, and strong, but not close or cloying. The only other fragrance I can think of that goes through a similar refraction is Habit Rouge, a fragrance that I hate smelling from the bottle, but love what happens to it when I wear it, particularly under clothes.
The richness of Etruscan Water brings something of the antique to the fragrance, but not in a way that makes it seem even remotely “old.” It’s simply a richness and depth that I’m unaccustomed to in any fragrance created in the last 50 years that I’ve experienced.
I have always been obsessed with Fiesole, a town just outside Florence, Italy. It was originally an Etruscan town until the Romans conquered it in 238 BC. They have an amazing archaeological site there on the hillside covered with green grass and beautiful cypress trees all bathed by the warm, golden Tuscan sunlight. This fragrance seems an apt olfactive parallel to the experience of being there. Francesca Bianchi describes Etruscan Water as redolent of the seaside, but that’s simply not where this takes me.
As a reviewer, I’m not sophisticated enough to discuss notes of the fragrance and their progression, but I will say that Etruscan Water is like travel in a bottle: beautiful, evocative, unique, and well worth the time.
05th May, 2020

Add your review of Etruscan Water

Shop for Etruscan Water products online

Search on eBay

Member images of Etruscan Water

There are no member images of Etruscan Water yet. Why not be the first?