L'Air des Alpes Suisses (2019)
by Tauer

L'Air des Alpes Suisses information

Year of Launch2019

HouseTauer

About L'Air des Alpes Suisses

L'Air des Alpes Suisses is a shared / unisex perfume by Tauer. The scent was launched in 2019

L'Air des Alpes Suisses fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Air des Alpes Suisses

I was looking forward to trying this scent, and given my appreciation for Tauer scents, I had high hopes. But, wasn't what I was hoping for, it was almost too much air and not enough scent to hold my attention. On two trials,all I got were all very lightweight, light flowers, spices, even the wood notes or amber never really developed to an anchor the scents. The Suisse l'air seemed to be up at the top of the mountain, far way from my skin.
25th November, 2020
If vintage Fahrenheit did not exist, I would give this fragrance a thumbs up. Alas, the similarity with VF is to stark to my nose that it makes it hard for me to rate it.

I also expect fragrances to be true to their marketing, and this has nothing that brings air, alps, mountains, or Switzerland to mind.

I'm not giving it a thumbs-down because it is still a well composed, nicely made fragrance. Green, powdery, and a little rough, it retains its green powderiness throughout its life while without revealing any ugly sides like some niche offerings do. It may be too reminiscent of the 80s to some while being a welcome departure from current trends to others. Definitely worth a sniff if you have a chance.
10th September, 2020
Interesting stuff. Feels more like art as a perfume than most things I've smelled. If I ignore the marketing, it smells like evergreens subdued with soapiness and something vegetal or medicinal. That last part is what throws me off here..there's a certain unpleasantness (to me) that's very faint. Almost like the smell of new rubber gloves. Again, that part is very minor and the majority of this scent leans toward airy, soapy evergreens.

I go back and forth on how much of this smells natural vs not. That's probably the difference in smelling up close vs in the air, as it smells much nicer in the air, jumping off your skin rather than right up next to skin.

Unisex for sure, doesn't lean either way for me. Again, due to its "art as perfume" nature, that would make sense that it seems more like a recreation of something one smells in the world rather than an idea of something a man or woman "should" smell like.

Projection is fine. Anything beyond 3-4 sprays might get loud. I get about 6-7 hours of noticeable scent.
03rd May, 2020
I liked this straight away, the freshness and the spiciness. The particular type of lavandacious freshness recalls a mens classic from 40 years ago, Shulton's Blue Stratos, which is still obtainable. The ad line was "captures the freshness and freedom of the windswept sky".

It also reminds me of Speick, a classic German toilet soap again loosely based on lavender.

I suppose it could even be compared to a fresher and greener version of Tabac Original, another classic German mens fragrance from the 1950's.

Whilst on the subject of comparisons, the holy grail alpine fragrance for me will always be Roger and Gallet's Verlande, (the name being an anagram of lavender). This was another mens line, discontinued 40 or 50 years ago, which mixed fine lavender with high altitude alpine aromas, to very good effect.

I would be interested to know to what extent Tauer was aiming for a genuine reconstruction of alpine flower notes (which could be done by headspace) and to what extent it is a fantasy concept.
11th March, 2020 (last edited: 28th April, 2020)
A long overdue sampling of one of the latest releases from Tauer Perfumes, the 2019 L’Air des Alpes Suisses, which unsurprisingly translates to “The Air of the Swiss Alps,” a fresh spicy aromatic fragrance that I instantly liked when smelling it Perfumology for the first time some months ago.

My first reaction was that LADAS smelled like a spicy variation to Creed Himalaya, with mixed citruses and woods, complemented by a variety of spices, none too overwhelming but pleasantly accenting. The main standout notes to me are lavender, lemon, ambergris, birch, lily, rosewood, and nutmeg, with a handful of others. It’s a complex composition but the result is pleasant and fairly easy to wear, a year-round jack-of-all-trades that has freshness but not to the point of being bland or generic.

I conclude that while Andy is not reinventing the wheel with these, it’s nonetheless a special twist on a familiar fresh spicy DNA that he makes his own, highly wearable and enjoyable and a bottle I’ll seriously need to consider buying.

It comes in EDT concentration but feels like a comfortably moderate performer, not too airy nor pulling a disappearing act like many freshies, but certainly not as dense or rich as say, a Profumuma Roma fresh offering, with its high oil content.

I don’t believe it’s in stock currently at Perfumology but other US boutiques like Luckyscent and Tigerlily carry it at its retail pricing of $135 for 50ml, in line with house’s pricing for most fragrances.

8 out of 10
10th February, 2020
I had high hopes for this, but to be completely honest with you I didn't enjoy it. I bought Swiss Alps because I was looking for something exceptionally crisp, fresh, and chilly...like the mountain air I'd expect to encounter there. But with the exception of a fir and pine accord, there was little to be found in that upper, airy, cool and crisp register. The fragrance felt kind of heavy...soggy. And because of the heaviness its smell just sort of hangs there. After a while it gets annoying. T I'm not sure why tonka was used here--it's not a note I associate with high, bracing altitudes, and paired with orchid and lily, things move in another extraneous direction I'd prefer to avoid. Silver Mountain Water, Humiecki & Graef Eau Radieuse...these fragrances convey the cold, invigorating air that might surround a tall mountain. L'Air du Alpes Suisse does not. Unfortunately, this was just a mediocre release by Tauer, and I definitely caution against buying it blindly. This was one particular scent that I really just wanted to get off of myself quickly. Sample first. Final rating: 5/10
31st December, 2019

Add your review of L'Air des Alpes Suisses

Shop for L'Air des Alpes Suisses products online

Search on eBay

Member images of L'Air des Alpes Suisses

There are no member images of L'Air des Alpes Suisses yet. Why not be the first?