Bee (2019)

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerCristiano Canali

About Bee

The company says:

The spring day seems still and peaceful. Yet beneath the wildly splattered canvas of a blossom-strewn meadow, thousands engage in a desperate race for survival. Worker bees toil at a frantic pace, ferrying a precious cargo of nectar and pollen to deposit it within cramped honeycomb cells, where it will nurture drones and larvae under the eye of a regal queen. In the claustrophobic hive, a deafening buzz offers evidence of the bees' devotion to duty, not a single worker pausing to question its role in perpetual grind of life in the queendom.

Bee fragrance notes

Reviews of Bee

Can I just quote thrilledchilled's review and use it as my own??

Yes, this is honey and I like honey perfumes, but instead of playing the honey against bitter, woody, or smokey notes, Bee sweetens it further with marshmallowy flowers, so it feels unbalanced, like it just screams "SWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!" instead of trying for artful juxtaposition.

Like thrilledchilled says, I'll stick with Slowdive.

All that being said, this isn't a bad perfume, just not what I'm into, so I'm voting neutral instead of a full-on thumbs down.
16th September, 2020 (last edited: 15th September, 2020)
Not crazy about it. Get beeswax and honey but it feels cloying and little development. Too linear and I like Hiram Green Slowdive much better.

I wanted to like Bee so much but I just don't. At the end of the day, not much going on other than cloying sweetness to my nose.
17th May, 2020
Long overdue sampling of Zoologist Bee, one of the most recent and acclaimed releases from this celebrated Toronto-based house run by Victor Wong, created by perfumer Cristiano Canali, courtesy of a sample from Nir Guy and my favorite boutique, the Philadelphia-based Perfumology, which is still up and running online and sells the brand, of course.

As the name conjures the habitat of a Bee, my expectation of this from the onset was a honeyed resinous floral scent, and the reality, as reported by many, is just that, with lots of layers and nuance. The opening is bright and loud—room-filling, it seems—with florals, honey/vanilla, and citrus, not to mention the hefty beeswax.

The dry down less involves the citrus, still with some florals, but more the immaculate combination of beeswax, honey, vanilla, and tonka—a creamy, sweet-but-not-overwhelmingly resinous mix that feels smooth and balanced in all of the right ways.

The transition from opening to dry down in Bee feels right, with not an immensity of evolution but rather a subtle change from bright and loud to more modest and balanced, albeit still as dense and rich as from the start.

It’s not as dark, smoky, or animalic as a lot of amber scents (not that I would expect it to be) but it’s nonetheless honeyed and resinous and creamy in a lot of the ways that many amber-dominant scents are.

Bee is priced at $195 for 60ml and is an extrait concentration, consistent with the rest of the house, and, like other offerings in the house, performs very well. Certainly I’d recommend fans of resinous and honey fragrances, especially, to try out Bee, but fragrance fans in general should find this an interesting fragrance to explore. I wholly love it and am very impressed with the creation. It’s on the list.

8 out of 10
03rd April, 2020
Smelling Zoologist Bee gives you a taste of what it must be like to be a small insect sampling the nectar from a wild flower. Pure pleasure and you immediately want to drink in more of it. Well we are stuck with being humans so we can’t directly have that experience, however the fragrance does remind me – a very personal association - of the aroma of Heineken lager. Which is no surprise when you think about it for bees can access parts of a flower that other insects cannot reach.

Joking apart, the nectar and lagerbeer notes are merely the hors d’oeuvre here. The main course which follows is creamy and floral, a longlasting accord in which broom plays a leading role. A faint hint of smoking incense in the background adds to the enjoyable atmosphere. This is an excellent original fragrance and the ideal gift for your daughter if she happens to be a beekeeper, like mine.
05th February, 2020
The opening of Bee is so unique; dry, dusty and faintly floral. It recreates the scent of pollen so realistically I half expected myself to start sneezing at my first sniff. I've realized I don't really enjoy heliotrope that much, or the babypowder vibe it has. Luckily, while I can tell that it's present in the pollen accord here, it's not that noticeable and the accord is very pleasant to me.

After a little while the pollen calms down, and the scent starts to get heavier and more resinous (with beeswax), and sweeter (with honey). The honey is also super realistic, as well. Not just a sticky sugar syrup, but reminiscent of the fancy stuff where you get a hint of the flowers that were pollinated as well. I don't get too much of the ginger and orange, maybe a bit on my chest, but I don't mind terribly, the rest of the scent is good enough on it's own.

The projection isn't nearly as strong as some other scents in the house, but it's also an extrait so I guess you can expect it to sit a bit closer to the skin. I do wish I got a bit better performance overall, but in the end there is nothing out there that smells quite like this.
18th January, 2020
Bee by Zoologist is amazing...I absolutely love it! Yes it's sweet, but the sweetness is perfection to my nose. The ginger syrup and orange with the royal jelly accord in the opening is my favorite phase and I smell the individual notes. Once the opening begins to fade Bee becomes pretty linear, but I don't mind at all because it just smells wonderful! Full bottle worthy for sure in my opine.

Honestly, Bee is one of my new favs...brilliant!
04th January, 2020