Sayat Nova (2020)

AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseBortnikoff
PerfumerDimitry Bortnikoff

About Sayat Nova

A Luckyscent exclusive of one hundred bottles.

Reviews of Sayat Nova

Review based on a sample from Luckyscent. I am partial to Rajesh because I value his fragrance reviews and because he is following a difficult path bifurcating an academic career into artisanry. Product development is a never ending cycle of beating back a host of challenges to bring to market, distribute, and breathe life into what was once an idea. Sayat Nova as a concept is something I can fully embrace.

So here are my constructive criticisms with the utmost respect intended. Sampling was not an ideal experience. I think the natural materials do not fare well and perhaps oxidize or destabilize when decanted. The sample I had was authentic, and I could get a sense of the construction; the concept I was already in love with. Upon application there was a bit of fermentation that I donít think was intentional, and I began to suspect this isnít a juice that remains the same under such different storage than intended. I have a few of what would be considered barnyards and itís not that.

The rum, apricot, vanilla, ouds were all there but like a hit of extra fermentation or oxidation, and I got the sense from others around me that the additional off note was detectable to more than just me. Bottom line for persons sampling in the future, Iím not sure the samples are true representatives of the bottle juice. Maybe some who bought FB or tested directly from FB can weigh in. Very interested in reading reviews from those who have the attar version.
19th November, 2020
My first review.

I'm fairly new to the fragrance hobby. I buy random samples and decants periodically. The current pandemic has left me with a lot of time to receive packages at home and read blogs. And my collection has grown.

I also rarely buy bottles. I have maybe ten, and some I've owned for 20 years. I have a ton of samples though.

I just bought Sayat Nova.

It's one of the strangest and most compelling things I have smelled. I'm not even 100% sure if it smells good, I just can't stop sniffing it.

It opens with a strong, slightly sour and fairly quickly fleeting blast of apricot. A dry vanilla is also prominent throughout. The drydown happens fairly quick and is extremely long lasting: natural smelling oud and a powdery smell (I presume from the oakmoss).

This isn't a sweet smell. It's very dry . . . I think? The vanilla is the smell of dried vanilla pods, not ice cream. The vanilla, at least on my skin, is so prominent however, it gives the impression of sweetness.

Like if you've ever tasted a milk stout ale (dark beer with lactose added), where it tastes like beer but a part of your brain goes "MILKY!" because it's so used to associating the lactose with milk? That's what this vanilla does. It's a dry, powdery, woody smell that tricks your brain into thinking it's a gourmand.

I love it.
15th October, 2020 (last edited: 10th November, 2020)

Add your review of Sayat Nova

Shop for Sayat Nova products online

Search on ebay

Member images of Sayat Nova

There are no member images of Sayat Nova yet. Why not be the first?