Reviews by thines01

New York Nights by Bond No. 9

There are some notes in this fragrance that lend themselves to masculinity, so I would classify it as Unisex. It is a slightly-powdery, slightly-floral, slightly-mature, sweet, strong fragrance that has a sophisticated elegance. This would be fantastic for office-wear for a man, and casual wear for anyone.
30th September, 2020

Sutton Place by Bond No. 9

This one is VERY generic and retro. It's like a blending of Safari and ILNY For Him -- in essence, Bond's answer to Safari. I'm on the first wearing and suspect the longevity will be amazing.
09th May, 2020

Himalaya by Creed

"The Masked Armpit" nailed it -- Pepper and soap for hours and hours...that's it....YAWN.
This was my first Creed and I got it as a tester from a retail perfume store. The price was good, and because it was a CREED, I was SURELY going to like it. I sprayed it and liked it (well enough). I was SURELEY to like it better later (because it was a CREED). Later (after purchase, of course), I noticed the dry-down was disappointing. I received the same experience every time I wore it. It now just sits on my shelf as a sad reminder of what happens to boring fragrances.
11th September, 2018

Washington Square by Bond No. 9

I like this one, but don't know when I would wear it other than in a cozy environment. It is unisex (to me). It has a powdery, musky undertone and might be cloying if over-applied.

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

I sincerely do not understand this fragrance. The sweet, milky, cocoa gourmand with citrus and PEPPER. To me, it smells like a chocolate shake sitting next to a hamburger sitting next to spilled milk next to someone wearing New Haarlem -- or like someone who spilled an entire tray of food and drink on top of the rich lady at the diner. I don't know if I (myself) want to smell like that.

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

This is probably the weakest Bond I've encountered (next to Coney Island).
Ironically, the two work well layered. It REALLY smells like oranges at a street vendor -- which I guess was the intention. Maybe isolating this one for a while would help me understand it better, but right now, I can't imagine it NOT being layered with something.

I Love New York for Marriage Equality by Bond No. 9

I get cedar out of this one. I love the subdued smell and this one works well by itself or layered with Chez Bond. I have gotten compliments while wearing it. It's safe for work and probably would have been less popular had it not been for the name.

I Love New York for Fathers by Bond No. 9

This smells like a beast-mode CK One. No better, no worse. I got a full-bottle at a discount, but never wear it because it smells so lack-luster. Oddly enough the one for MOTHERS is one of the best scents I've ever smelled.

http://www.bondno9.com by Bond No. 9

Aventus, anyone? I got a 50 ml partial bottle of this and USED EVERY DROP OF IT (over 55 mini-beast-mode wearings). This is an excellent fragrance and would substitute for Aventus if you're just trying to stay "in-house". It's not as strong as The Scent of Peace (for Him), but still has good longevity and silage.

High Line by Bond No. 9

I bought this at a discount (online), wore it once and gave it to my wife. She really likes it, but it's TOO GREEN AND FLORAL for me.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

This one ranks pretty low on my scale for a Bond.
At first, it smelled like candy in a trash can. It works well layered with Little Italy, but is not worth retail price.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

This smells so good, I want to spray it on a plate and eat it. It is a GREAT night-time, bedtime, dating (at home) scent. It's the stuff you would wear in a cozy environment like at a single's retreat to draw ALL of the attention, or in the cabin with a fire going. It gets compliments even on paper. I can't imagine wearing it in an office setting unless you're "on the hunt".

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

This is another bi-polar Bond (on me). Sometimes (depending on weather), this smells like wet-dog and sea water. Other days, it's absolutely beautiful, aquatic, fresh and invigorating. The longevity is incredible.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This stuff does not work on me. It smells TERRIBLE. The petroleum-fuel smell is overpowering and does not go away. It smells like an accident in a garage that one would use Goop hand cleaner to wash off -- but it doesn't wash off easily. Thumbs DOWN.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I sprayed this on paper at a Sephora and LOVED the retro-opening so I also sprayed the back of my hand. I picked up a bottle and was going to purchase it as another customer was asking the attendant about men's fragrances she could purchase for her husband. I mentioned Eau Sauvage and said "here, smell this". She turned up her nose and said she didn't like it. I re-sniffed it on my hand and it smelled like someone smeared feces on me. I said "ew" -- she said "YEAH". I put the bottle back and got a sample that I tried a few weeks later -- SAME RESULT -- lemon-POOP / Lemon-Feces / Lemon-DooDoo.

New York Musk by Bond No. 9

This one is hard to describe in normal terms.
It's sweet, and acidic, and fruity, and slightly-woody, and slightly-musky, and attractive, and medium-to-thick.

In the summer, it's overwhelming and in the winter, it balances to something that can be worn frequently (or everyday).

This would layer well with Brooklyn (Bond No. 9).
09th February, 2018

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Super underrated fragrance that layers well with other fragrances (especially Riverside Drive). It's not too strong, BUT may be cloying if over-applied. It would probably work well with New York Musk or Montauk. If you're looking for a signature work scent, this would work. The retail price is a bit much to pay for something this subtle. I got my bottle from a YouTube fragrance reviewer who didn't like it.
15th December, 2017 (last edited: 29th August, 2018)

Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success is a Job in New York by Bond No. 9

I don't get ANYTHING manly out of this fragrance. It smells like a super-rich old-lady who wears furs 24/7 and doesn't have your best interest at heart -- yes, Cruella de Vil. I'll give it another try, though. Update: 2018-08-19 -- After wearing Musc Ravageur (MR) by Frederic Malle for one full day, I realize the fragrances are extremely similar. I detect Iris in the Bond (not listed), but not in the MR. The BOND seems to have somewhat of a rougher edge, but is very long-lasting and strong to the finish.
15th December, 2017 (last edited: 20th August, 2018)

Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage

This is a very top-of-the-list fragrance. I only had a sample and wore it to church multiple weeks in a row. Each time, I was impressed by my own smell. The first time, I thought I was smelling someone else as the dry-down smells a lot different than the opening. Superior quality and performance. I will get more of this.

L'Homme Libre by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very OK fragrance -- nothing special.
{yawn} It is safe for work, school, or church.

The fragrance is, however, memorable.
I only had a sample and wore this to my dad's funeral.
Now, I will never wear it again.

Pasha by Cartier

This stuff smells like a hairy man driving on a hot day in a convertible after eating spicy middle-eastern food. It does it's own thing very well, but I'm not sure when I'd want to smell like that.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This one is in the same vibe with D&G The One -- where the smell is INCREDIBLE, but the performance is so poor, it's not worth the trouble.

I guess spraying it on clothing would do the trick, but that money could go to something else. It might be good to spray on the sheets as it is a very sexy smell -- you just might have to stop and spray twice.

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

I really love this fragrance and wear it when I know I'm going to spend a lot of money as (to me), it smells rich. It has a manly-rose scent with a Cartier-like vibe (like caraway or cumin (but not stinky b.o.)). It's very unique and I have only ever smelled this one on myself.

I Love New York for Mothers by Bond No. 9

I bought this for my wife, but I REALLY love it and am tempted to wear it myself. It is instant beast-mode and would probably layer with other fragrances if it wasn't so strong. If someone layered this with The Scent of Peace (for Him) they could be smelled two-days ahead of their arrival.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

What a wonderful, manly smell that seems as if it has fallen into a reformulation weakening. It should be as strong/over-powering and long-lasting as something like Aramis, but does not have much longevity. I will say this fragrance is no longer worth the effort.

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

This is from my favorite fragrance house, but it smells like a mistake. It smells like old-people trying to "get-down" after cinnamon air-freshener was sprayed into a wet wooden bucket.

To me, it's in the same family as Musc Ravageur (Frederic Malle) where some people would get a COMPLETELY different vibe from it (and love it), but it's not for me -- neither is M.R.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I *super-love* this fragrance, but rarely wear it. It's very strong and a co-worker said it smells JUST like Earl Grey tea. That same co-worker picked it out EVERY time I wore it. It's full-bottle worthy if you like fragrances like this.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

Super-dated fragrance that REALLY has an old-man vibe. Sprayed lightly -- it smells like a mistake. Sprayed heavily -- it smells like you're making a point. Confidence is the key with this one.

L'Air du Désert Marocain by Tauer

At first wearing, this gets the YUCK award. This smells like sweat and booty and NOT in a good way. I cannot imagine wearing this anywhere except to bed, but I would dream about needing a shower all night. 100% not for me. I'm glad I only got a decant.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Super-safe work scent that would layer well with other fragrances -- especially other Cartier frags. This one doesn't have much personality, but when over-applied produced a captivating sillage (when I smelled it on a woman). This would be good for work, church, or school, but would not stand-out at a party.