Reviews by

Ungaro pour L'Homme III by Ungaro

I love this cologne. It's become my signature cologne, as it's more versatile than any other cologne I've ever worn.

By itself, it's not very commanding. Subtle. Refined. A bit reserved, despite being a floral booze waltz.

So no, it's not explosively loud; you're looking at 8 sprays in key points to have it noticed, and even then it's in waves (as a fragrance ought to be.)

But layering this stuff with Pinaud afershave? You're talking about Errol Flynn. Clark Gable. Charles Chaplin.

This is truely a timeless fragrance, and it's the only "mature" scent that doesn't head beyond "mature" and into senility. You'll remember it, for sure.

10th November, 2015

Lord by Al Rehab

I just turned 30, and I feel like wearing this sort of symbolizes that.

It absolutely smells like a vat of every 80's powerhouse I've (Lapidus, Kouros, Krizia, VC&A)for maybe the first 20 minutes, and then mellows into a drydown near identical to Vermeil for men.

If you already own Vermeil, you can pass on Lord (I actually think Vermeil's less per ml costwise, as well.)
29th September, 2015

F pour Homme Black by Salvatore Ferragamo

Take La Nuit's opener, and follow through with something in between DH and Allure Homme on the dry down.

F Black is born.

Average longevity and sillage, which for the price is to be expected.

This is one of those criminally underrated, why didn't I know about this sooner, fragrances for those who're fans of DH, YSL, and Chanel's offerings.

Layer it with something like Bvlgari Black, and you've got yourself a regular party.

10th September, 2015

Five by Smell Bent

Nehhhh.

This starts off promising; it initially smells quite a bit like pencil, but somewhere in there the caramel and "aged tobacco" mix together to form what I can only describe as V8.

The notes come together to form this weird vegetal scent on my skin.

Pass.
08th April, 2015

St Tropez Dispenser by Smell Bent

The coconut and aloe are undeniably prominent. It smells quite a bit like how you'd smell after a stint at the beach, which is precisely what was promised.

I'm digging this one as well. Smell Bent seems to match what's on the label/description, which is often not the case with niche scents attempting to emulate their environment.

I'm considering layering this with Bvgari Aqva Marine and keeping that as my daily go-to for the spring/summer.

07th April, 2015

Brussels Sprouted by Smell Bent

I get an interesting chypre with emphasis on the mossy patchouli.

I'm reminded of the Demeter fragrance "grass," but this one sticks around for a bit longer.

07th April, 2015

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said it was irresistible. That's certainly one word for it. It's quite powerful, so I suppose resistance is indeed futile.

I'm...I was going to give it a thumbs down. But I waited. And I'd say almost 2 hours in is where this stops being an angry cocoa butter hand lotion and becomes something different entirely.

It's not necessarily warm. It's almost chaotic. This is certainly unique; it's as if sweet and spicy are having a land war on your skin (or my skin at least.)

I think I love it. Or hate it?

A*Men is a wonderfully unique chaos. That's my two.
10th July, 2014

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Walk into your favorite barbershop. Get a trim. You deserve it. Bit of the old shave too, eh?

It's summer. Your barber's door is open. Every once in a while, you get the smell coming in from Saffron's, the new Indian joint that opened up next door.

It's getting rather frequent customer traffic as the shave continues. "Think I may try that indian food" you say to your barber, as he finishes up with the shave.

Prada Amber PH. There ya go.

Cheers.
20th January, 2014 (last edited: 28th January, 2014)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Have a pet? A rabbit. Let's go with rabbit.

Alright, walk with tangerine in hand to cage of said rabbit, and place tangerine into cage.

Bottle this.

I personally love the smell. Cedar and citrus blended so that they aren't competing? That's actually...a fantastic idea, really! The title doth apply as well, terre it certainly is.

But the price point doesn't settle well with me at all. This isn't worth the tag, lads and lasses. Still a thumbs up on the whiff, not so much on the stiff.

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I gave L'Eau D'Issey PH away. There were great reviews. A celebration of citrus! Summer Sensation!

I pledge allegiance to the lemon.

There was an astringency to the yuzu that never went away. It dried down to, well, yuzu meeting hardwood floors in an attempt to mop up a spill of indoor gardening supplies.

I've heard the insulting "lemon pledge" remark thrown around about this scent. Because I've thrown them around.

Honestly surprised that the nose was Cavallier.

Tuscan Soul by Salvatore Ferragamo

Anima toscana.
Fiori in fiore.

This is incredibly delicate. Definitively feminine. It is also my favorite car air freshener.

Get me wrong shall you not, it's completely enjoyable. Magnolias floating their way about the air in the West Indies. I simply don't imagine wearing it out anywhere. I've considered doing a bit of a mix with Bvlgari Aqua Marine PH, as it seems that this scent is light enough to layer a top another.

But yes, in my car it sits and in my car it spritz.

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I believe Tiffany for men is a wonderful collection of the colognes you'll find now fermenting in the old avon pick-up truck decanters.

Powder. Like, oh dear lord powder. Maybe a bit of moss here and there to let you know it's make-up powder that's been out for quite a bit. Perhaps your grandfather or grandmother tipped over a bit of their Avon collection. Perhaps goodwill was having a sale and you decided that the decanter look cute. But oh lord, what's that smell on the way home?

That's Tiffany.

In addition, it doesn't go away. Both sillage and longevity are designed to remind you for the entire day that you just bought Tiffany for Men.

Encre Noire by Lalique

Simply lovely.

Encre Noire is an old librarian who, in between sips on a dram of single malt, describes the forests that The Brothers Grimm traversed so vividly you begin to smell them. It has an ancient and mysterious nature to it, and one that is stunning. It dries down into a mix of the cypress and cashmere quite nicely, as the librarian either passes out drunk (the boozey accord of EN doesn't feel so much dominant as simply present, like the uncle who gets hammered at your family get together...if he was dressed like a proper chap and spoke the kings with perfection) or goes to do whatever book sorting it is that is left for the day.

Longevity and sillage both do well in my book (which consequently smells a bit like EN right now.)

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

I do get "clubbing" from this. Clubbing a strawberry patch in South America.

It's fantastic though, and definitely reminds you that it's there. Great summer scent. Definitely great for informal gatherings.

There isn't a big transformation in the dry down, however, and I do definitely believe that the "Black" is a misnomer.

I think Champs de Fraises par Paco Rabanne would be a more fitting title, and it seems like fellow viewers agree.

Scuderia Ferrari Black Signature by Ferrari

It's a cologne offered by Ferrari. I didn't expect it to stop traffic. Turns out it smells like it would, but not exactly in the most desired way.

Accidentally drop boss bottled into a new car, and then use a bit of alcohol on the end of a shop rag to try and remove the stain it left on the carpeting.

There ya go. Scuderia. Moving on.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Incredibly subtle. You don't want it to be. You want to keep on smelling it, and so you check your wrist. Again, and again. It does last, for me, for approximately 6 hours.

The title is apt. At first, I didn't like the "close-to-skinness." Bah. I'll use Extreme I said. I'll keep soir tucked away I said.

And then I came back to it. It's a perfect cologne for late night with someone you want to keep wanting.

As far as how it smells? Sophisticated. I'd say the papyrus adds an earthy element to Soir not unlike Vetiver would, but in an incredibly subdued fashion.

Imagine Encre Noire rained on. Smoldering and faint, with a detectable but not demanding lightness. That's Soir.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Of all the Bvlgari releases, this has to be my favorite. It was also the favorite of those around me.

It smells like unadulterated Aquatic. Where other marine scents often find themselves cloyingly synthetic, or a bit on the "what your margarita on the beach" smells like, Aqua pour Homme Marine smells like the ocean. Like, with a bit of that seaweed sitting out in the sun for a tick ocean.

The sillage was right and consistent. Longevity as well. It didn't exhaust my nose, and I could catch it on myself a good 8 hours following application.

A definite winner.

Black by Bulgari

Well, it certainly contains a sort-of burnt rubber accord that I actually wish was a bit more prominent. The note doesn't dissipate as much as the vanilla completely envelopes the other notes.

Maybe my sinuses and the cold weather have contributed poorly to my ability to detect the scent, but it also seems that the sillage is rather poor. Longevity seems to be mediocre, extending as far as 6 hours before taking a nosedive into nothing territory.

Randy's Rundown: Take a notably synthetic vanilla bean body wash, cook something indian inspired after applying it, and then perform an oil change on your car. Three days later, the remnant scent on your clothing may match what Bvgalri Black has got going on here.

Meh.