Reviews by The October Country

El Cosmico by D.S. & Durga

Unique as anything. I actually live in El Paso, which is near Marfa, and have visited the El Cosmico campground and gift shop, which is where I purchased my bottle. It's pricy, and quite an experience. Creosote and petrichor mark this fragrance. It's very accurately a desert scent. Fans of Bowmakers (which I love) will likely appreciate El Cosmico. It's intense and not for everyone.
14th September, 2021

Kiss Him by KISS

Smells like a strip bar and leather. Which, I'm certain, is exactly what Kiss was aiming for.
28th July, 2017

Mississippi Medicine by D.S. & Durga

Absolutely fantastic fragrance. This smells almost exactly like burning copal resin, which is used a lot during Dia de los Muertos, on the ofrendas (altars) to the dead. Very much like a pine-cedar resin. Brilliant!
09th September, 2016

Aventus by Creed

This is certainly a daring fragrance. And while I generally love truly daring fragrances (such as Salvador Dali por Homme, Yatagan, Encre Noir), Aventus simply makes me nauseous. I get pineapple and menthol cigarette. Or pineapple and Ben-Gay. I'm actually partial to smoky fragrances (Gucci pour Homme and oud fragrances being favorites), but Aventus is simply not for me. But cheers for thinking out of the bottle.
07th May, 2015

Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

I've read the Habit Rouge comparisons and they're on point, but on my skin, this is almost a dead ringer for Burberry Brit for Men. Ugh. Far too sweet for me. Luckily, I just had a Sephora sample and didn't purchase a bottle. I'm wondering how this olfactory monstrosity was developed by the designer of the sensational Gucci Pour Homme.
27th April, 2015

Voyage N-83 by Nautica

This is the only Nautica fragrance I have ever found to be tolerable. Can't put my finger on it, but this reminds me of a fresh aqua fragrance circa 1977, but not in a powerhouse way. It reminds me of a frag my dad would have worn back then, and I mean it in a good way. It's not terribly distinctive, but I like it. It reminds me of sailboats and growing up in Michigan. Definitely worth the cheapo price you'll find it for.
14th April, 2015

Royall Rugby by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Oviatt, you are exactly right! This reminds me almost EXACTLY of Yardley Citrus & Woods, so much so that I even wonder if it was repackaged! Very nice frag for the price and perfect for spring!
10th March, 2015

Homme de Café / Café Men by Cofinluxe

I found Café Men to have similarities to Caron's Yatagan...sharp, bitter and not for everyone...but definitely unique!
20th February, 2015

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

Wild Woods was very inexpensive when it first came out, and now that it's sadly discontinued it's fetching a pretty penny on eBay. While fairly linear, it truly is a very comforting fragrance. Rich wood and vanilla...no frills, and perfect for a fall or winter day.
19th November, 2014

Agate For Men by Vermeil

A very interesting fragrance; surprisingly complex. At application, it reminds me significantly of Salvador Dali pour Homme. Floral and resinous all at once. With drydown, fresh pipe tobacco comes a bit more to the forefront. This is definitely more of an autumnal scent; something an antiquarian would wear. I found this at an incredibly good price, and is definitely worth seeking out due to its uniqueness.
16th September, 2014 (last edited: 25th September, 2014)