Reviews by Monsieur Montana

Ispahan by Yves Rocher

I couldn't find a more appropriate adjective to describe this perfume that the one given from my friend Ken_Russel. It is fascinating.
This is a masterpiece of perfumery and how a mature woman should smell. And just to make myself clear: when i say mature i don't mean old.
This perfume is elegant, sexy, confident, poetic, fascinating!
Perfumery at it's best.

9-9,5/10
01st June, 2020

Run Wild for Men by Davidoff

Awful...
Another Bleu de Chanel type of perfume.
A total disappointment...
25th May, 2019

Crimes of Passion: Raw Silk and Red Roses by 4160 Tuesdays

Before starting your read note that i was using a small vial from the Rose Pass

The look on my face this morning was ????
What is with this one? 41/60 Tuesdays? Is this some kind of code PefumeLady uses for her vials?
Then read Rew instead of Raw and didn't know what the hole thing was about.
I said to myself "what the heck just try the thing" and poured 1-2 drops of the perfume on my left arm.
Very pleasant right there from the start. Well made rose, very refreshing, fruity-peachy and to my nose, yes mentholated.
No evolution at all, all linear to the end. The mentholated accord is more accentuated towards the end phase.
Nothing special but nice. I like it.

6-7/10
19th June, 2017

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Today i have tried Agent Provocateur.

After reading Bavard's impressions i was expecting something really good.

The opening was a combination of an ordinary rose and something "peculiar" to my nose, not very inviting, that settled down really quick which was good.
The perfume descriptions mention saffron but that had nothing to do with the saffron i know since childhood.
After that i could only sense the rose with a very linear evolution. It reminded me at some point, just a bit, of Iquitos but the two of them are playing in 2 different categories Iquitos being a few light years ahead of AP. Then about 2-3 hours later the rose remains the same but there was an acidic note, kind like a watered down vinegar, which irritated my nose by sniffing giving me the feeling of getting stitched with fine needles. This lasted about 2 hours and i didn't enjoy this part. I could not detect the y-lang at all, neither the amber or the vetiver notes which supposedly build the base of the perfume. About 4-5 hours later the perfume was not detectable on my skin.
Not something i would buy.

MM
08th June, 2017

Tea Rose Eau de Toilette by Perfumer's Workshop

The first thing that made me an impression was the very intense yellow colour and the almost oily viscosity of the perfume. The colour resembles very well the chamomile tee the smell of which is well recognisable for at least a couple of hours next to the rose.
As i was in the third hour of wearing this, two of my assistants (two ladies between 55 and 60 years of age) who were standing not far away from me started to discuss vociferous about an annoying rose smell that filled the space. Especially one of them was saying that this smell was horrendous and was trying to identify the trail looking around in different places where i have been before and have left a trail. Of course i knew they were discussing about my perfume but it never crossed their minds that i was the "centre of the evil".
Obviously the trail i have left behind me was so intense that they came to the conclusion that this must be some kind of an air freshener that is pumped into the building over the air condition making their lives miserable. A third lady which came along shortly after that had exactly the same reaction.
Boy i was glad they didn't realise it was me making them sick.
The next thing i did was to find a sink and repetitively wash my arms (where i have placed the perfume) till the perfume was not detectable any more.
I personally didn't find the perfume to be repugnant but i have to admit that it did smell like some kind of air freshener that is sold in the super markets for 2,99 Euros.
I can not comment on the evolution of the perfume but i really liked the colour. The sillage was obviously of colossal proportions.

Because of the reactions

P.S
With so many negative reactions i will certainly won't ever touch this thing again
02nd June, 2017

Rose Splendide by Annick Goutal

The evolution is linear, the rose is playing the main role. For the first half hour the rose is accompanied by a nice aerie semi-sweet pear. I think this is the best part of the evolution. After the first half hour i couldn't smell anything else than the rose which is of mediocre quality and very common. It reminded me a bit (in this phase) of the Rose of Bulgaria which is a nice cheapie EdP but it is not as good as Rose of Bulgaria.
Sillage is medium, stayed on my skin for about 4-5 hours.

5-6/10
02nd June, 2017

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This one is a classical "Gentleman's perfume" very good not only for daily office use but also for a dinner, a formal occasion or maybe just for personal comfort in a rainy October Saturday morning lying on the couch covered with a hand-made wool english blanket slowly sipping coffee from a mug.
The perfume remains all the time "tender", "soft", "powdery", somehow nostalgic.
It is a classical fougere which could easily be taken as an 80's, even a 70's made perfume definitely not staying in pace with it's contemporaries.
A splash of bergamot at the beginning followed almost immediately from a very well made lavender.
The Geranium is also very well made and makes a fantastic counterplay to the lavender. Creamy, powdery, just wonderful.
In the final phase i barely get the patchouli note but i really like the woodie accord.
On my skin it lasts around 8h.

8,5/10
29th May, 2017 (last edited: 08th June, 2017)

Nahéma Extrait by Guerlain

Nahema begins from the start with a nice rose note and some green notes. A few minutes later it becomes sweeter because of the Lili of the Valley and y-lang y-lang which is one of my favourite notes in perfumery. The initial rose changes to a different one which is stronger, more feminine and very qualitative. This rose remained for about 2-4 hours on my skin.
Then suddenly i have sensed vanilla and started looking around me to identify the person wearing it but i was alone. I thought maybe there was somebody from my female co-workers who left a trace in the air and it was smelling terrific. It took me a few more minutes to realise that it was me smelling like that! Gorgeous stage and an incredible turn in the evolution from the rose stage.
It lasted about 5 hours on me, the sillage was pretty weak.

For a woman that would be a fantastic option. For men it can be tricky because of the completely lack of masculinity. In any case a very nice surprise and a thumbs up from me.

7,5-8/10
29th May, 2017

Ungaro pour L'Homme III by Ungaro

Today i am testing Ungaro III
This one has been on my list for some time now but never had the chance to try it.
And it didn't let me down.
It begins very fresh, citric but kind of sweet subtile citrus, maybe orange. At the same time something alcoholic. I didn't know what this was until i have read the ingredients and there it was: vodka! This phase doesn't last long.
Immediately after that there is a phase of "purity" due to sage. This phase lasted for about an hour on my skin and it made me pull the sleeves of my blouse and smell my arm again and again. Very comforting, very well done. A hint of Vetiver shares this phase with Lili of the Valley but NO ROSE.
After 2-3 hours the base comes to front. Mainly musk, a bit of patchouli here and there going hand in hand with an almost indistinguishable Sandalwood.
It has fulfilled my expectations mainly the middle phase of the evolution.
But where is the rose? I couldn't smell it for a second.

Medium sillage, lasted on me for good 6-7 hours.

7,5-8/10
16th May, 2017

Coriandre Eau de Toilette by Jean Couturier

I was expecting a lot more after reading all the positive reviews about this one but i was not impressed ...at all....
A lot of reviewers describe it as "fresh" but i haven't detected the slightest freshness.
From a vintage lover like me maybe this will sound "inappropriate" but it is ....dated. Big time....
From the start to the end i couldn't sense any kind of evolution. All i was getting was an old fashioned rose that is not of my liking going hand in hand with boring, dated aldehydes and in the fern a hint of patchouli. Lasted about 5h, mediate silage.
Not for me.

02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 16th May, 2017)

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

To start with, i can not make any connections between the name and the modern Hammams.
Maybe they used to smell like that 200 years ago but today the do not.
It is an interesting perfume with a nice lavender blast at the opening and some lemon accords. It settles quickly in a "good mannered" rose which i would say it can be worn from both sexes. I get about 8 hours out of it which is more than i usually get from Penhalligon perfumes. Still can't get the sandalwood, maybe will appear in a later phase.

Note: 6,5-7/10
30th April, 2017 (last edited: 10th May, 2017)

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

I really love this one.
I have initially smelled in on a colleague of mine when i was about 17 and liked it from the start. Unfortunately i have forgotten about it in the latter years. A few months ago i have purchased some minis and Sergio Tacchini was one of them. Smelling it again made me think of my colleague and the beautiful years at high school.
On my skin will last over 20 hours.
As for the description i will totally agree with Sporenburg's review. My nose refuses to detect citrus though.
Magnificent!

Note: 9-9,5/10
03rd March, 2016

Gianfranco Ferré for Man by Gianfranco Ferré

I am in my old aristocratic house in the small medieval village somewhere in the north of Italy. I woke up not long ago and i am looking out of the window in a magnificent early morning autumn landscape as the mist starts to vanish defeated from the first warm rays of the morning star. The house is surrounded by vineyards which at at this time of the year become living sculptures of gold. Little dew diamond drops try without success to hold themselves on the leaves but slowly find their way to the already sodden earth.
Somewhere further,hardly seen through the brume , some of the villagers in the company of their special trained dogs enter the woods of the surrounding hills in search of black truffles.
I am sitting on a leather armchair made hundreds of years ago by a master upholsterer in Florence. The leather is smooth like velvet from the daily use and the patina reflects the sunlight which penetrates the dark library from the high windows. The ancient library around me is partially covered in long shades and emanates the relaxing, comforting and well known scent of old books and oak. I wear my favourite tweed jacket and warm flannel grey pants, a fine monogrammed grid check shirt and a tie with a perfect double windsor knot. A pair of brown leather Edward Green shoes and the small golden pinky signet ring completes the picture. On the small mahogany tea table next to my armchair the Odyssey remained open in the 12th rapsody exactly as i left it the night before. Next to the book an empty glass of the finest Brunello di Montalcino produced with a lot of love and unmatched skill by my friend Annibale.
My dog enters the room slowly and in absolute silence, just like a cat would walk, and lies down to my feet.
I am holding a small cup of fresh made espresso on one hand and petting my best friend's head with the other. In exchange for the treat he licks my hand and starts wagging his tail.
I take a deep breath, close my eyes and think how wonderful life can be. For a a few seconds that seem like an eternity i am the happiest person ever born on the face of the earth.

30th September, 2015 (last edited: 25th October, 2015)

Eau Arborante : Saltus by Les Liquides Imaginaires

The first few seconds i have sensed, like it happened with Tellus but more intensive,
the smell of damp routes.
Somehow there was, just for a few seconds though, a stark alcoholic note there.
After the first few seconds i had the impression that i smell again a scent i used to wear back in the nineties and really liked a lot.
Only not as intense as the other used to be but very similar. This other scent was Jazz by YSL.
About one and a half hours later the Jazz component slowly disappears and a dry, woody, dusty smell comes to the front. I think i also sensed some lavender there even if it is not listed among the ingredients and next to it the camphor.
This second dry down phase is remarkable similar ,but not as intensive and protruding,
to another great perfume i love, L' Instant De Guerlain.
So mainly what my nose detects is a very nice blended perfume, a "marriage" between the two beloved perfumes.
Like it a lot, 9/10 and thumps up
15th March, 2015

Eau Arborante : Tellus by Les Liquides Imaginaires

This is a fantastic perfume.
The smell of smooth, damp earth is the main characteristic of the scent IMO.
I have sprayed only once and could still smell the scent on my skin about 6h later.
Medium sillage, maybe because i didn't spray more than once.
First thing that comes in mind, and stays, is Paco Rabanne pour Homme.
Tellus Rabanne would be a fit name for this beauty.
Love it!

14th March, 2015 (last edited: 26th March, 2015)

Cedre Blanc by Creed

A lot of money for nothing.
No sillage, no character, no nothing.
Too sweet to be worn from men even if it is a unisex.
Keep your money in your pocket
21st February, 2015

Macassar by Rochas

Oh my God this a killer!!!!!
The opening is overwhelming, savage, gives you headaches.
You can still smell it on your skin after 24 hours and this is not a joke.
When i have received my first bottle, it came in a nylon bag because it was leaking a bit. There were 2 drops of this perfume in the bag, not more.
The smell was so intense that i had to wash the bag with water again and again before throwing it away. The next day when i opened the garbage the smell was still there!!
Anyway, after the first i would say 2-3 hours of very intensive smell, follows a long phase of pepper/leather/woody pleasure.
This is probably the most virile, intense, masculine perfume i have ever smelled till today.
From me it gets 10/10 points
08th February, 2015

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

I guess that at some point we all came across a scent that made us a massive impression and initiated our interest in perfumery.
It doesn't necessarily had to be the first one we have worn or smelled.
Since my childhood i have been secretly sniffing my father's perfumes and at some point started wearing them.
Although i liked all of them it was another perfume that blowed me away and made me realise that i am really interested in perfumery.
This perfume was Montana Parfum d' Homme.

My story with Montana Parfum d' Homme began in the summer of 1989.
I was 14 y.o and my uncle came at my grandparent's house from abroad for his usual annual visit.
I was also spending a part of the summer vacations with my grandparents and i was looking forward to meet my uncle who was like a "prototype" for a teenager:
Always dressed in magnificent clothes and shoes, wearing perfumes which you wouldn't get out of your mind, reading Zorbas the greek and starting pseudo-philosophical discussions, playing tavli in the garden, describing the beautiful places he has visited while drinking coffee from tiny espresso cups and talking about, what else, women!
This special evening he had an appointment with his childhood friends.
In Greece that means you come back home in the morning (at best).
He went in the bathroom to prepare himself for the “great exit” and came out about an hour later.
I still remember how excited i felt when he came out of the bathroom walking through a cloud of magnificent smelling vapors which were coming over in waves. (He had used a Montana shower gel and then bathed in EdT).
It was the most beautiful, the most masculine perfume i have ever smelt in my life, and probably still remains that way even if in the meantime I have come to appreciate a few more perfumes the way I appreciate Montana.
Years past by and i have forgotten about this perfume (name etc.).
It was 1995 or 1996 and I was a young student. On the way to the university i walked outside a new perfumery shop and the picture of this “Ziggurat looking” perfume cut my breath. There was it again after so many years before my eyes.
I went straight inside the shop wanting to take the bottle in my hands and smell the “mythical” perfume once more but received nothing less than a major disappointment as the lady who was working there informed me that the perfume was no more in production.
The years went by and at some point thanks to the Internet i was able to found this perfume again. I was very excited when the postman arrived.
I have opened the box very carefully, almost ceremonially. I have taken the bottle in my hands, looked at this piece of art (many think it is an ugly bottle, I think it is gorgeous) for a few long seconds and then slightly pushed the sprayer.
There it was again, the missing beauty!
I have made sure that I will never remain without enough of it any more.

MM

24th January, 2015 (last edited: 28th January, 2018)

Boss Sport by Hugo Boss

I bought a 50 ml after shave (splash) when i was still a student, it was the last bottle in a duty free shop and because it was cheap i took it. I didn't know then how much i would like this perfume later....
I totally agree with rbaker about the opening blast.
I am sad that i has been discontinued but lucky enough to have a piece of edt and one of after shave.
8-9/10 for me
24th January, 2015 (last edited: 27th February, 2015)