Reviews by clamnole

Molecule 04 by Escentric Molecules

Molecule 04 is the only single molecule fragrance from the Escentric Molecules line that I can smell on a consistent level and I quite like it. As far as aroma chemicals go, I'm all for them if they smell good and help the fragrance industry be environmentally conscientious. Javanol to me authenticates the note of sandalwood quite well. In fact, much like sandalwood, Molecule 04 dries down quite powdery. However, I find I prefer the Escentric versions far better than the single aroma chemical notes in the "Molecule" line and only find Escentric 04 & 05 to compel full bottle consideration.

Replica Jazz Club by Martin Margiela

Spicy, boozy, tobacco that has been framed by styrax in the dry down. Not terrible but I would have liked it better without the pepper and styrax undertone. Agree that it's overdone. Simpler construction of notes would've been more appealing IMO. Could easily be loud or offensive if over applied. Lasted an eternity on my skin.

Mr. Burberry Indigo by Burberry

Mint and violet leaves combined with a decent, yet garden variety blue fragrance. It's actually pretty distinguished in what would otherwise be an uninteresting genre for me. I agree with other reviews that the mint and violet are what gives Indigo it's creativity, combining dark and light notes in an ethereal way. A good buy at less than $50.

Menthe Fraiche / Fresh Mint / Eau de Menthe by Heeley

Iced green tea with mint and a touch of citrus and cedar. That's the heart of Heeley's Menthe Fraiche, which to my nose is very authentic mint leaf, cooling and relaxing. Unfortunately, it doesn't last, as the longevity and sillage are disappointingly weak on my skin. A tart, minty citrus opening that quickly gives way to a divine mint green tea with cedar wood and light floral hints underneath. I loved the heart scent, but could tell that it wasn't going last long as the projection from the outset was light from 4 sprays. Reading other reviews, the consensus is a soft performance. I'd really like this one if it ran at least 5 hours but it's a skin scent in 1 hour and completely gone within 2 hours. Sad.
24th January, 2021

Lyric Man by Amouage

Beautiful floral-citrus opening. As others have stated, it's rose forward but not rose centric. I can detect the ginger which is always a prominent note to my nose, but it's soft. Dries to a more featured rose with hints of indistinct wood. Very nice middle. Vanilla edges into the later stages. I didn't go heavily on the application as I am used to Amouage's stronger offerings, so I never really noticed any incense or coniferous wood as I was expecting. Seems to be a lighter, drifting scent, entirely unisex and perhaps leans a little formal. A Christmas gift that I'll use well. Thumbs up for certain.
22nd January, 2021

Layton by Parfums de Marly

Apple's, violet and geranium is what you get on the opening, which lasts a solid four hours until fading into a very nice cream vanilla and soft woods. The violet and geranium stay in the background and it's quite pleasing with excellent longevity. I could still smell the vanilla accord on my skin 12 hours later. Easily could be worn by anyone year round. Extremely high quality presentation. I've only sampled Layton and Godolphin from PDM and like both. Another thumbs up.
17th January, 2021

Black by Comme des Garçons

CDG Black is a gem for those that enjoy dark incense driven or resinous birch tar notes. I like this style a lot and Black checks all the boxes for me. Reminds me of Amouage Memoir Man, but less challenging. Doesn't have the sillage or longevity of Memoir Man, but is easier to wear out of the gate. To my nose, the pepper is not prominent and only shapes the incense and resin notes. Black does somewhat conjure a Catholic Cathedral as other reviewers have mentioned, but only adds to it's comforting effect IMO. A wonderful casual, cold weather scent. Thumbs Up.
13th January, 2021

Viking by Creed

Over the years I've owned several different fragrances that feature mint. What I've come to realize is that I like the note of green mint as well as peppermint, but often the supporting fragrance ruins the potential. In Viking, Creed has framed the mint in a green barbershop tone with bergamot and light pepper in support. It's quite refined and perhaps a nostalgic feeling composition. Dries down in a very Creed fashion, masculine with vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood that are well balanced. A rose lays in the background ever so light. I like this as a versatile scent that can be worn easily. Moderate sillage and 6 hrs longevity. My wife loved it, so I will be purchasing a bottle after my decant is used up. Big thumbs up.
10th January, 2021

Encre Noire à l'Extrême by Lalique

Creamy, smooth and masculine. Take the original Encre Noir and soften the raw earth elements with touches of bergamot and iris. Supplement with a hint of incense, gentlemanly sandalwood and classic patchouli. I absolutely love vetiver and EN Extreme is such an amazing scent and incredible value. Everyone should own at least one of the EN line.
09th January, 2021

Le Lion de Chanel by Chanel

From a sample. Different than I expected. It has a very similar character to Coromandel, IMO and it smells familiar. I had heard it was much like Shalimar, but I am not familiar with that scent like I am with Coromandel. There's amber & patchouli and perhaps a smoky incense or leather underneath that isn't listed in the scent pyramid, but it's there. Definitely masculine and has a strong sillage and longevity (I went light on the application). A very nice fragrance that feels like a Chanel IMO. I'm not sure I'd buy it, but it will do very well. Thumbs up.
07th January, 2021

Chergui by Serge Lutens

A honeyed up amber and tobacco with a hint of powdery iri. And sandalwood in a supporting role. It's sweet and boozy out of the gate but the tone gives way to the lighter iris and sandalwood features, which for me spoiled the potential. I like most of what I've sampled from Lutens and there is no doubt Chergui is a high quality and popular scent. Not one I'd wear often though and I prefer the amber-resinous Amber Sultan over Chergui. The wife likes it more than me, but I can still give it a thumbs up.
31st December, 2020

I for Men Amber Oriental by Clive Christian

Sample from a friend. Good quality offering from CC in an Oriental. Amber is the main theme over a leather, musk and woody base. Not entirely a heavy scent and it wears very nicely leaning formal IMO. I've yet to try a CC that wasn't wearable and strikingly pleasant. I've yet to justify purchasing a bottle as well, but if you can, I envy and congratulate you. Excellent fragrance.
23rd December, 2020

Au Coeur du Desért by Tauer

I had never tried ACDD having only sampled LADDM in the past and liked it very much. I actually think I may like ACDD a little better. It's got a nice amber note that rounds the scent out a little and seems not as dry as LADDM presents itself. Both are excellent, but similar enough that I wouldn't feel compelled to own both. I get the same feeling from Tauer's Lonestar Memories and Lonesome Rider, excellent and similar fragrances that are just close enough to only pick one for the wardrobe. In the case of ACDD or LADDM, I'm still split. Can't got wrong with either. Thumbs up again from Tauer.
23rd December, 2020

No. 1 for Men by Clive Christian

A citrus, floral herbal combination that is technically very well done, but not my cup of tea. I wore a sample several times and found it leaned too feminine in the floral construction. The floral notes are not my favorites, with lily and iris being the most prominent to my nose. If your into prior century scents and comfortable with the floral notes you will probably like this. Neutral for me.
16th December, 2020

Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

A spicy fougere from TF highlighted by lavender, mint/basil and patchouli. Conjures up a lot of scents from old. Its a in-between barbershop and cocktail lounge aromatic. Not the powerhouse of other TF creations, but not a wimp either. I like fougeres, especially ones that perform well. BdJ has a pleasant development with a nice oakmoss vibe. The problem with this scent is its a common enough theme, but at a ridiculous price. I'd wear this, but would never consider buying it. I have 10 scents in my wardrobe that are close enough relatives to BdJ, but well below half the cost.
15th February, 2020

C for Men by Clive Christian

Like all Clive Christian creations "C" is a really high quality, excessively constructed, and exhorbitantly priced fragrance. "C" is quite nice, masculine and yet fairly easy to wear, leaning slightly towards formal. While a pleasant scent, it's damn near impossible to pick out any individual notes or accords and for my taste I find it boring and missing identity. Nice, smells elegant, not worth the price and completely unremarkable. Still I can give it a thumbs up though.
26th October, 2019

Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly

I was surprised that I really liked this one, because I was just so-so with the original Layton. Exclusif starts with a peppery fruit, spice that is short lived and softens into the floral, coffee and spice main-notes. It has an animalist tinge to it, probably the civet, although present, it comes across quite restrained. I don't get a strong wood note, but my nose is not sensitive to some woody tones. I catch more of the amber-vanilla-coffee cream base, with a spice support. I'll agree with previous reviews that Layton Exclusif is a great choice for cool weather, or a semi-casual date night. I like it and may purchase in the future.

19th December, 2018

Armani Code Colonia by Giorgio Armani

An OK flanker that really doesn't give you much beyond generic department store smell and quality. Name houses just don't take risks or produce anything innovative these days. Here's the proof. Pass for me.
04th August, 2018

Chrome Pure by Azzaro

Take the original Chrome, remove the soapy note and dump in a load of Tonka beans. It's really a pretty nice combination that doesn't come off synthetic or overwhelming. A good clean, everyday smell.
04th August, 2018

154 by Jo Malone

Reminds me faintly of Houbigant Fougere Royale, with the operative word being "faint". 154 seems to be made mostly of water, with a little alcohol and a hidden touch of actual fragrance. Smells nice for about 5 minutes. Jo Malone needs to rethink their formulations. Their fragrances smell nice but the sillage and longevity is the absolute worst of any line I'm familiar with. I wouldn't dream of paying $120 for this. I've never panned a fragrance just on performance, but 154 doesn't deserve any better than a Thumbs Down.
27th May, 2018

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Divine Infant is quite a nice scent concoction, but not something I would want wear often enough to warrant a purchase. For me, I don't care for the opening's candy-like orange and rose. It's interesting, but way too gourmand and sweet. It improves dramatically when the amber, tobacco and leather come forward and dilute the candy opening. It's a soft, sweet floral and leather with underhints of a gourmand amber until finish. Good sillage and longevity. This is quite a avant-garde fragrance, so I'd say it hits the mark it was aiming for. I really like ELdO creations and if I were 21 years old, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Thumbs Up.
22nd April, 2018

Polo Ultra Blue by Ralph Lauren

A toned down version of the original Polo Blue, which was a mainstay for me in the 90's. Ultra Blue loses the melon-cucumber of the original's opening and adds herbs - mostly basil, in combination with a salty, ozonic element. It has an ocean air vibe that is appealing and clean smelling. It's lighter than the original and wears more casual IMO. The Polo trademark base is still detectable, so it's not very far off the reservation of the original Polo line. I like it and think it will do very well this spring-summer season.

14th April, 2018

Infusion de Vétiver by Prada

A very nicely constructed, mild vetiver from Prada. Bright tarragon and pepper on the opening, with the vetiver really somewhat hidden. The middle has a very sweet, almost floral like ginger that brings forward the vetiver lightly. The middle of the fragrance is really rather special as far as vetiver goes, with an excellent brightness, making it a great day wear option. Sillage is mild and longevity is close to 4 hours on skin, much longer if sprayed on clothes.
I enjoyed wearing Prada Vetiver, and want to wear my sample on a warmer day as I feel it will really present itself. I'd consider a bottle of this over many more expensive vetiver fragrances. Quite nice and a thumbs up.
09th February, 2018 (last edited: 10th February, 2018)

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A different style of vetiver fragrance. RdV does indeed open with a deeper, heavier tone of vetiver. Unorthodox in a genre that is typically sweetened or sharpened by citrus elements, RdV feels raw by comparison. There's no mistaking the vetiver in the first hour, as it's pungent and bracing. Some may pan the fragrance at this point, which would be unfortunate as RdV begins to mellow, turning into a buttery middle, revealing hints of wood and floral as the vetiver sheds it's raw elements. RdV does have aspects that conjure the tone of oud wood, playing through the heart phase, as well as hints of sandalwood and plum. I've always understood vetiver to have multiple dimensions and RdV presents a range uncommon to the market. Better than average sillage and longevity and in my opinion, a must have if you enjoy vetiver. Thumbs Up for me.
09th February, 2018

Black Collection : Book by Commodity

Bergamot opening leads to lavender, sandalwood and something musty. I'm not getting amber or vetiver at all. Balsa? I can't be sure. Book smells like a cola soft drink that's gone flat. It's not offensive, but nothing likeable either. The sillage is equally dull. I wouldn't wear it, but wouldn't be put off by anyone who did either. Truthfully, it's not a fragrance that would be noticed by many people, which is maybe the point and the appeal to a some few. As neutral a fragrance as it gets.
09th February, 2018

Gentleman (new) by Givenchy

Don't be fooled. This is nothing remotely comparable to the original Gentleman. This is dank, horrid iris note over synthetic woody calone. Unfortunate performance.

Appalling.
31st January, 2018

Platinum Collection : Vetiver by Commodity

Commodity Platinum Collection Vetiver is a clean-fresh scent centered around the vetiver note, rather than a straightforward vetiver fragrance. For a vetiver lover, this is going to come across bland and flat smelling. There's no rooty or sharp elements in this and the vetiver is only exposed in it's softer elements and in combination with other feature notes. The opening has a hint of citrus and jasmine that gives way to a vetiver-sandalwood-patchouli accord through the heart. The later dry down seems to be mostly patchouli with perhaps a remnant of cedar. Below average sillage and 6+ hours of longevity. All of the Commodity line strikes me as office safe and gender neutral with Vetiver being barely distinguishable from the rest of line. Overall, Commodity strikes me as a line for people that don't typically wear fragrances. It's all flat and dull and generic. The packaging even reflects it as well. Vetiver is such a great note, well done and ubiquitous in perfumery. Why opt for overpriced and boring?

I'll give it a neutral because its fresh and doesn't offend, but I wouldn't recommend it as a vetiver fragrance.
26th January, 2018 (last edited: 09th February, 2018)

Je Suis un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

Interesting fragrance that has taken several sample wearings to catch on with me. The feature theme is a soft citrus-leather shaped by a less prominent, yet equally persistent clove and cinnamon. In the opening it's a citrus-leather, cinnamon and clove, which turns into a ginger-leather, cinnamon and clove, and then ends with a patchouli-leather, cinnamon and clove. Each of the combination accords are nice in their own right, and I would have been content had Jes Suis Un Homme been designed as a strictly linear fragrance in any of the aforementioned accords. However the development of the supporting note combinations make this one an absolute winner for me. Highly masculine without being punchy, but you have to like clove, cinnamon and leather, as they each own a major part of this fragrance. High quality with an excellent 8 hours longevity and a soft lingering skin scent of leather and spice that carries through to the next day. Adding this to my wish list as a future purchase. Thumbs Up
25th January, 2018 (last edited: 19th February, 2018)

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

No, I'm not getting any of the hype associated with M1. I received a 5ml sample in the mail and have tried it 3 times, spraying progressively more with each wearing. Each time I get nothing for about 20 minutes then I detect a very light cedar that tends to fade in and out for about 5 hours. It's very strange and unpredictable. My wife wore it with slightly different results, in that she couldn't detect any scent for an hour and then got a celery like note that layed close to the skin for several hours, even after a generous application. M1 is a coy experiment that I would call more annoying than enjoyable. Thumbs down.
23rd January, 2018

L'Homme Sage by Divine

L'Homme Sage by Divine is probably one of softest fragrances I've ever sampled. It wears like a big fluffy pillow, very light on the skin and to the nose from beginning to end. It opens with saffron and light hints of flower, but nothing very distinctive. The saffron dominates in a friendly, benign sort of way, with a patchouli and wood undertone in the heart phase. Incense breaks through late, but it never goes very intently in any direction. It's a pacifistic fragrance that just wears too light for me. While not feminine, it's not very masculine either. Smells nice but in the end I found it altogether boring and extremely fleetingly. I like the opening saffron but lost interest beyond that. A neutral is all I would give this.
23rd January, 2018