Reviews by Perfumed Librarian

Coco Noir by Chanel

I really wanted to like Coco Noir since it has such longevity on me. Unfortunately it makes me smell like a stewed prune. Much as I love stewed prunes I'd really rather eat them over oatmeal with yogurt and tahini than wear them. Sigh.
26th April, 2015

Classique Eau de Toilette / Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

There's no other scent (so far) that's so "almost" for me. It's got a lot going on that's nice and soft and pleasant, and I keep trying it out thinking that this time, It'll be different. But every time, I have to eventually admit to myself that the sweet bubblegum aspect is going to win out yet again. It's a real shame because it's one of the bery few scents that lasts well on me.
18th April, 2015

Émeraude by Coty

AIUUUGGHHHHH I just tried this on at Walgreen's. This perfume (at least the formulation available in 2015) smells so terrible... It's like a horrible mixture of something vaguely Shalimar-esque mixed with those tree-shaped air "fresheners" - the scent of which is one of the few smells that tend to make me legitimately, stomach-churningly ill. So much regret during the car ride home, even with the car windows open. I really hope I haven't spoiled Shalimar for myself by association.
16th April, 2015

Brume de Jasmin by Berdoues

Pretty, delicate fragrance, but it disappeared quickly on me. In stock at Colonial Drug in Newton, MA as of Spring 2015.
11th April, 2015

Margaux by Tocca

This came up on the touch screen on the computer at Sephora when the sales clerk was looking for oriental fragrances for me. I'm finding it too ripe/fruity but perhaps it would work well on someone else.
11th April, 2015

La Panthère by Cartier

I was so disappointed in this after being given a sample by a sales associate who seemed to be genuinely excited about it. It was consistently sharp and synthetic and never deviated from that. In a way it reminded me of White Diamonds, although not as cloying/enveloping. Couldn't wait to wash it off.
07th April, 2015

Nahéma Extrait by Guerlain

I'm kind of amazed at how boring an expensive parfum extrait can be on my skin. Aside from a brief moment when there was a hint of Mitsouko, it settled into smelling like peach Jell-O and never varied. Sadness.
06th April, 2015

Eau Duelle Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

This smelled great on the tester but on my skin it was nothing more than straight, flat, unchanging, cloying vanilla. And I *love* vanilla! I have to imagine that it reacts differently to other people's skin since it gets so much love. On me it didn't smell any more interesting than an air freshener.
05th April, 2015