Reviews by Missionista

J'Adore by Christian Dior

A big white floral with a lot of fruit. It mostly reminded me of shampoo, and it was OK, but nothing great. It got very screechy on me, and veered into headache territory pretty easily. Gorgeous bottle, boring juice.
27th September, 2020

Pure Musc for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I happily wore my sample for three days straight. However, I will not be purchasing this. It's a very linear, kind of basic floral musk. There's nothing really special or distinctive about it. Nice enough to wear to work, won't really offend anyone. The musk is strong enough to stand up to a bike commute, but it's just kind of boring.
23rd September, 2020

Angélique by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

A linear, vanilla-y, floral. Nice enough, but nothing exceptional.
24th June, 2020

Aël-Mat by Lostmarc'h

I agree with the previous poster who said to watch out if your skin amplifies sweet notes! On me, this is a very sweet floral with none of the sea/salt/citrus notes that others talk about. It's nice enough, and oddly a bit better in warm weather. I thought the sweetness would become cloying in June, but it was actually very nice. The floral came through a bit more, and it toned down the sweetness. I had about 7mL and it took me several years to use those up. I will not be repurchasing.
22nd June, 2020

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

I love Lily of the Valley, and it is done here as a lovely soliflore. I get mostly the one floral note, with the sandalwood coming in at the dry down. The sandalwood grounds it and gives it more lasting power than Diorissimo on my skin. This is a classic for a reason. It's perfect in spring.
03rd June, 2020

Lalique (original) by Lalique

If I could give this a 3.5, rather than either a 3 or 4, I would. It's a lovely floral, quite powdery. It recalls several other scents I wore in the 90s (like Vivid) that were a melange of flowers with some powder. They were easy to wear and smelled good. This one is especially nice in Spring.

I had a small vintage bottle (appx 5mL) which I have now finished. I would not go searching for this as it is discontinued and harder to find, but I'd happily spray it on if I happened to find some more.
24th April, 2020

The Swan Princess by The Vagabond Prince

Yuck!

This is all violet and musk to me, very linear, not much development. First, it's chemical-y, fake smelling violets, more like violet candy than actual flowers or a nice violet soap. Then various musks come along, and those last FOREVER, but they're not very nice either. I finished off my sample, and will definitely not purchase this. There are better ways to get both violets and musk.
01st April, 2020

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I get a bit of lemon at the top that veers quickly into furniture cleaner territory. I get hardly any of the celery people talk about, but then I get a lot of incense (must be the mastic) for a long time. Finally, in the very final dry down, hours later, I get a hint of citrus.

I used up my sample, but would not repurchase. It's not horrible, but it's not that interesting either. Just an incense scent on my skin.
22nd March, 2020

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

I like vetiver, so this is a positive from me. Having said that, it is quite sweet, and sweeter than I prefer my vetiver fragrances. It's long lasting and very linear on my skin. Just a sweet vetiver from beginning to end. It took ages to finish my sample, because I like to wear this with a light hand. I do not need to repurchase.
19th March, 2020

Horizon (new) by Oriza L. Legrand

This is quite a nice perfume, but I won't be buying more than my sample. It just got too linear and patchouli-isn at the end. I much prefer Chypre Mousse from this brand.
15th February, 2020

Megalium by Carner Barcelona

I really enjoyed this as a winter fragrance. It was mellower than a lot of the rose/modern patchouli things out there, but very much in the same vein. I happily drained my 1.7mL sample. I'd love to get a 10-15 mL bottle, but have way too much perfume to ever need more than 15mL of this.
09th February, 2020

White Linen by Estée Lauder

I like the floral notes, although the animalics can get to be just a bit too much for me. It lasts a long time, especially if it gets on clothes. I actually like the far, far dry down better than any other part--smelling it on a shirt two days later is lovely.

I happily used my sample, but will probably not repurchase, as this reminds me a bit of my mother-in-law, and I want to smell different.
09th December, 2019

Smoke Show by Vilhelm Parfumerie

A slightly fruity vetiver that is subtle after the first couple of minutes and barely lasts even two hours. It's nice enough, and wears well in Fall/late Fall, but does not tempt me to purchase more than a sample.
03rd December, 2019

Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford

I'd actually give this a 3.5 overall. A lovely jasmine that goes on just a little too sweet for true love. After about 30 minutes to an hour, there is a sillage of light, lovely, slightly citrus flowers (maybe the neroli listed). Eventually it fades away to nothing. I like it but can't justify the cost, especially since I don't really love it. I happily used my sample, and I'd probably re-purchase another sample if it crossed my path, but don't need to go out searching for it.
22nd November, 2019

Room Service by Vilhelm Parfumerie

I love the fruitiness of the opening, and the dry down of musk is close to the skin and pleasant. I wouldn't buy this because of the price point, but love it in the early fall/late summer and happily drained my sample in a few consecutive days. I had tried it in other seasons and hadn't liked it as much.
19th September, 2019

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

I get absolutely nothing fruity or floral from this scent. After a hint of green and herbal/medicinal in the very beginning, it turns into something powdery and vaguely vanilla, and stays that way. It is very close to the skin, thus making it an appropriate work or yoga class scent. Nice enough, won't buy a full bottle.

As an aside, I've had two different sampler bottles form Penhaligon's, both with the very cute little stoppers--both of the stoppers have broken off still half in the bottle, making it nearly impossible to finish the sample. I managed with one, but not the other.
30th August, 2019

Clémentine California by Atelier Cologne

I finished my 7.5mL sample bottle today. This is a lovely fragrance and has been on high rotation for me this summer. While the citrus up top works well in the heat, as other commenters have said, it goes a bit generic floral on me after a short time. The dry down pulls very sandalwood on my skin. It's nice, and I was happy to finish the mini bottle, but I will not be purchasing even a 30mL. Orange Sanguine is a much better citrus, and there are other better florals and sandalwoods out there too.
25th August, 2019

Un Matin d'Orage Eau de Toilette by Annick Goutal

Lots of white flowers, slightly aquatic, but no calone. I liked this, and used up a previously-owned bottle. But it sometimes got a little screechy on me and did not last long when it wasn't screechy, so I will not repurchase
27th July, 2019

Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne

I love this one, it's one of my favorites from this house. It smells like sunshine in a bottle, and is perfect in late spring/early summer, or any time the temperature ranges from 70-80 degrees. I just finished my mini today, and as soon as I finish a few more summery scents, I will probably invest in the 30mL next summer. Gorgeous.
01st July, 2019

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Inoffensive amber, but still amber. Fades quickly. Not great.
10th March, 2019

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Kind of a dull amber somewhat powdery scent. I liked it well enough to finish a 2mL sample, but not well enough ever to buy more.
02nd February, 2019

Byzance by Rochas

This is a stunner! It smells just like 1987, in that it's one of the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink big 80's florientals, but plays much more nicely than Poison, for example. I absolutely love it, have just finished a vintage mini, and will be on the lookout for others.
06th January, 2019

Pomélo Paradis by Atelier Cologne

This is GREAT for summer. It is (imo) so much better than Orange Sanguine--not nearly as sweet, but still managing to capture the feeling of a real grapefruit (in the way that O.S. is going for the feeling of a real orange.) The opening is sharp and beautiful. It fades to nothing on me quite quickly, which is why it only gets a 4 star overall. But I really like this one! I drained my 7.5 mL sample in about 2 months. I might have to get a 30mL for next summer.
16th September, 2018

Celtic Fire by Union

This is smoke, smoke, smoke and more smoke. I've heard others say it smells like BBQ sauce, but to my nose, it is much more like a campfire. I really like it. It is very reminiscent of whisky, and a little tiny dab will last all day. More than a dab and it would not be appropriate for work, as co-workers would think you were drunk on whisky. This is great in the fall.
19th August, 2018

Les Heures de Parfum - IV L'Heure Fougueuse by Cartier

Green, hay, slightly animalic. This is absolutely gorgeous! Best in spring/fall. I brought it with me on a trip to Scotland, where it smelled just like the countryside (full of green stuff, sheep, and hay). I've used up my 5mL sample, and am not sure I can possibly afford a full bottle (the major drawback is the cost of this scent), but I will look for another sample.
13th August, 2018

Geranium Bourbon by Miller Harris

Merely meh. Better in slightly cooler weather.
12th August, 2018

Verveine / Verbena by L'Occitane

It starts off slightly Lemon Pledge-y, but that quickly fades, and it is a lovely lemon scent thereafter. It's wonderful in the heat of summer, and I associate it so strongly with summer that it's hard to imagine wearing it any other time. I have just finished my 10mL mini bottle, and would consider replacing once I go through some more of my summer scent stash.
22nd June, 2018

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

When I first got this, it was the weirdest thing I'd ever smelled. (Now that honor goes to Chypre Mousse, but whatever.) And the weird was vegetal, and very very green, and cool, and refreshing; the olfactory equivalent of drinking gin from a hollowed out cucumber.

But over time, the weird faded. (I had a second hand bottle, so not sure how old it was, but I had it for about 4 years before using up the remaining 80 of 100 mL) It was still nice, but not really special. Kind of green, kind of vetiver, absolutely fine and lovely in summer, but it really lost its edge.

I finished the bottle happily, but will not repurchase this. If I came across a 2-4mL sample, I'd probably pick it up.
11th May, 2018

A Lilac a Day by Vilhelm Parfumerie

This was a very realistic lilac. I finished my sample and would love to purchase a travel size for spring.
03rd May, 2018

Aqua Allegoria Tiaré-Mimosa by Guerlain

This is a vaguely acceptable bland floral that lasts about 10 minutes. Impossible to overapply, since village is minimal.
07th April, 2018