Reviews by Bavard

Realm by Germaine Monteil

A nice vetiver. It doesn't smell especially vintage, to me. The only vetiver I've worn routinely up to now is Elie Saab, and this is in the same general style as that. This is softer, and a little more old-school smelling, but not much. The funk in this has an older-smelling woodiness - I think it's just the vetiver. It smells like something that could be IFRA compliant.

It's fine. I like it. I have a nice bottle of the cologne. The packing is good. I hope it grows on me, and I don't know why it wouldn't, but my initial feeling is that it's nice, but not that exciting.
08th July, 2020

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

This is a winner from Aramis. I was so impressed the first time I smelled it, from a vintage sample. It's starts like a fresh Eau de Cologne, like something that might be light, but it turns increasingly masculine, with more of an after shave vibe, and also stronger smelling as the patchouli comes to the fore.

It does smell like what I think of as geranium.

I wore this on an early date with the person I'm still dating, which is a sign that I was into it, and she loved it.
20th June, 2020

Tuberose & Moss by Rogue Perfumery

Outstanding white floral. Simple.

The tuberose is just right. Not at all intense or cloying. The base has a hint of laundry musk, but still natural smelling, and some vanilla.

For my tastes, on par with the best perfume houses present and past.

16th June, 2020

Bijan for Men by Bijan

I got a good deal on a vintage bottle (short ingredients list), and the opening is a stunner - I love it! My initial reaction is a dream escape to the height of early 80s luxury and masculine charm. I'm swept away by the beauty, and find myself laughing. It's a little hot spicy, like the spicy note in Patou Pour Homme, but it has even more in common with Versace L'Homme, which I like, the same kind of powdery, patchouli-driven accord.

Bijan Men settles fairly quickly to a polite, restrained fragrance on my skin. I get more strength from Versace L'Homme, which somehow manages to rev up as it goes along (with help from vanilla). With Bijan Men, it settles almost too quickly when I want some of the colorfulness of the opening to go on for longer. However, this probably makes Bijan Men the better version to wear to the office.

Where Versace L'Homme uses vanilla, and blooms as it develops, Bijan Men has a note that's almost like a chocolate-y leather, with a dash of spice, but it's a subtle thing I have to sniff up close to smell. Overall, I think it works fantastically well and that it will easily make its way in my rotation.
27th May, 2020

Patch Flash by Tauerville

The amber and toffee mentioned below are related to my concern with this fragrance, and maybe any Tauer fragrance. I don't like them. I want to like them. They seem so cool and exciting with their charismatic perfumer and hip fans. But wearing any Tauer fragrance has mostly been a learning experience for me, and not so much pleasure. It's not torture either, though, so I went with a neutral.

This has the peppery style of patchouli that I smell in some fragrances. I think these fragrances often have leather in the notes list, which I think of as a peppery leather.
25th May, 2020

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I am liking this one. The main smell-alike to me, after having worn it half a dozen times and feeling like it was reminding me of something that I couldn't place, is YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but this is the far-superior version for my tastes. I also get some similarity to Havana and I have random thoughts while wearing it about Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Givenchy Xeryus, Giorgio VIP, and Bel Ami's pencil lead note.
11th May, 2020 (last edited: 26th May, 2020)

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

This is a fine vetiver with nice woods, a nice, polite fragrance if a little on the subtle side, like a lot of vetivers. A person needs to have a taste for this sort of vetiver-dominant fragrances, I think, to appreciate them, which I have slowly developed over time.

I had given it a neutral, but wearing it again, it delivers so well on what the label promises, I changed it to a thumbs up.
07th May, 2020 (last edited: 18th May, 2020)

Le Vestiaire des Parfums : Caftan by Yves Saint Laurent

Caftan is ok. Not really my style. I think it features cashmeran (aka blonde woods, aka a kind of breakfast porridge-type smell). For a cashmeran fragrance, it's a good one.
21st April, 2020

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

This is a nice fragrance. I've had moments when I could fully embrace and appreciate it. Other times, it makes me think of a car air freshener. But then again, maybe a cool car air freshener.

It falls a little short, for my tastes, for something I would want to wear often.

At the same time, it's too haunting and immersive for a neutral.
28th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (new) by Godet

I opened this sample thinking it was 1920s juice. Instead, it smells way too modern for my tastes.

It took me a while to place it, but this is a smell-alike of L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme edt.
25th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (original) by Godet

This is a capable fragrance in what I think of as the Russian Leather style based on Chanel Cuir de Russie and Christian Dior Jules (and maybe a couple others). I got to try some old juice in a sample pass on here, maybe even a 1920s sample - at least pre-1950, I think, and it was nice. Not mind-blowing or must have, and it smelled maybe past its prime, and not as sparkly as vintage samples of Chanel Cuir de Russie I've tried, but still so much fun to sample.
25th March, 2020

Or Masculin by Bourjois

Here are some fragrances I might think of that, to me, smell more like Bourjois Or Masculin than Bel Ami does: 1. Guerlain Chamade, 2. Givenchy III, 3. Diorling, 4. Chanel No. 19, 5. Hermes Amazone. I like those, and I like this.

Cartier Santos might be the closest masculine I can think of.
20th March, 2020

Legend Intense by Montblanc

I’m torn between neutral and thumbs down. It’s close to being too cloying for a neutral.
15th February, 2020

Explorer by Montblanc

This is a faithful Aventus clone, to my nose.
15th February, 2020

Dior Homme Eau de Toilette (2020 version) by Christian Dior

I’m not offended by this, and it does smell like a restrained use of the most grating modern ingredients, with a touch of Dior panache. But I’m not that into the style. Plus, I already have Bleu de Chanel and never use it, which is similar. YSL also had a version of this, L'Homme Libre.
13th February, 2020

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

I love the opening. There's what smells like a rose note to me. The direction of the development is all wrong for me, though. It turns me into a dryer sheet.
10th February, 2020

Amazone (original) by Hermès

An extremely tidy green rose fragrance. It makes me feel well dressed.
12th November, 2019

Chypre de Coty by Coty

A 1960s or 70s edp. Super amazing. Way more floral than I had imagined. Flawless beauty. Fuzzy, floral, woody, moss heaven.
03rd November, 2019

Aventus by Creed

I'm trying samples of Creed Aventus from 2013 (13T01) and 2016 (16C01).

The opening of the older version is nicer, and it does smell smokier, although not that smokey. The older version is easily more likable, easier to approach.

The 2016 version also has a lot of character. The opening is a reformulation fail, to my nose. I might have guessed this is a flanker, and not just a reformulation. After a bit of time, I can barely smell the older version, and the newer version smells ok, fairly interesting, to be fair. The woods are maybe more interesting in the newer version, more consistent, more present.

These are nice, modern-smelling fragrances, but I think I'd be just as happy wearing Boss No. 6.

The olfactory fatigue with the older Aventus is dramatic and real, in my case. Sometimes I can't even smell it up close where I sprayed it. That is not happening with the newer version.

I often feel like Aventus is right at the line of cloying. My favorite part of the fragrance is the opening of the old version. Aside from that, I don't find the fragrance itself that interesting, but I do find the chatter about it interesting.
29th October, 2019 (last edited: 29th April, 2020)

Red Leather by PK Perfumes

A decent smoky, oily leather. A little like Amouage Tribute attar. It smells heavenly of a big used clothing shop.
16th October, 2019

Derby by Guerlain

I had a sample of vintage Derby from a Basenoter as far back as 2014. I wasn't ready for it at the time - I much preferred a simpler oak moss fragrance such as Sous le Vent or Chanel Pour Monsieur. The clove in the opening, in particular, did not smell like something I wanted to wear.

Over several years of revisiting Derby, I got into the base of the vintage and got a bottle about five years after initially sampling it.

More recently I got a generous sample of the current version of Derby from the fragrance shop in Montreal. I think it is quite a well done re-make. I would consider backing up the vintage with a bottle of modern. It smells more modern, especially side-by-side with vintage, but I like a little dash of modern sometimes. Not everything modern is bad. This feels like a well executed update. If I was keen on impressing other people, I might focus on the reformulated version - it has a dash of something interesting.
12th October, 2019

Tabac Blond by Caron

Modern edp, like the bottle pictured above.

This is an Old Spice killer. I know Old Spice well from youth, and there were spice versions of deodorant sticks from other brands.

This takes that scent profile, and makes it a sparkling fragrance. For someone who just wears Old Spice, but would like a special occasion fragrance, this is my vote.

This modern version (long ingredients list) still has a touch of oak moss, I think. It's nicely done. It's light, but it smells and feels like the real stuff. And it has an incensey sandalwood note - it's delivering on multiple fronts, but still more of a 4 stars out of 5 fragrance than a vintage masterwork.
02nd October, 2019

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

This is a good one. Top marks. It's a Guerlain-esque chypre, to my nose. Super delicious, with a pear note, and woods. It smells dressy.
20th September, 2019

Legend by Montblanc

Similar to Chanel Platinum Egoiste, which I like.
06th August, 2019

Miss Balmain by Pierre Balmain

Leathery floral perfection (vintage parfum).
06th July, 2019

Genghis Khan by Marc de la Morandiere

I'm trying the vintage edt of this, and it's nice. It presents itself to me as a relation of Aramis Havana and Montana Parfum d'Homme. This version has a nice warmth to it.

With all these fragrances, and there are a few others I know I've sampled, but I can't remember which specifically, I like them, but I feel like I'm still developing a taste for them.

Through a more enthusiastic lens, I could smell this as a relation of Versace L'Homme, one of my favorites.
24th June, 2019

No. 5 by Chanel

At the moment, I'm seeing this entry for Chanel No. 5 plus entries for No. 5 edp and No. 5 edt. This entry, then, is seemingly for the parfum and the edc. They can smell a lot a like, depending on which versions you get, and I've also smelled an edp of No. 5 that was the same / similar to some parfum and edc versions.

There are interesting versions of No. 5 that vary from the main idea (skanky edc's, really strong, beautiful edt's, and a recent edp that smelled off), but most of the versions I've tried establish the same smell: powdery aldehydes and jasmine plus woods. It's a perfume on the lighter side, but beautiful in its subtlety.
09th June, 2019

Black Saffron by Byredo

This leather aroma chemical has been doing the rounds (see Tuscan Leather). It's not something I would want to wear.
09th June, 2019

Eleventh Hour by Byredo

This doesn't quite work for me. I like the packaging for this line, but the juice not as much. This has a little of the woods/patchouli/tea accord I get in some modern fragrances, which isn't a travesty, but it's a big step down from classic fragrances.
08th June, 2019

Jacomo de Jacomo Original by Jacomo

This is a nice vintage fragrance with a clove note. The fragrances released around this time, 1980, are some of the best, and this fits into that category.
15th May, 2019