Notice: We will be offline from Monday 27 September as we upgrade the site. More details here.

Reviews by Bavard

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

I can't always smell this as I'm wearing it, which is a drawback, but when I can smell it, I love it. Sometimes it comes across as almost too similar to original Polo, but other days it seems like the perfect flanker.
17th August, 2021

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

I find this similar to Hugo from 1995. It is much the same idea, and I find myself liking both. There is a slight twist in this version that I like - a tiny hint of funk. Nautica Blue is also coming to mind, which I also like fairly well.
22nd July, 2021

Orphéon by Diptyque

This starts out as a screechy, fruity, musky synthetic. It evolves into a decent sandalwood-type base.

This kind of synthetic reminds me of recently sampling the Ralph Lauren higher-priced line with a similar unapologetically sharp, billowing synthetic vibe.
19th July, 2021

Calvin by Calvin Klein

This smells fairly typical of men's perfume in 1981, meaning it's good. A couple things crossing my mind are Davidoff and Quorum - this doesn't smell like those, quite, but there's something common among them, I think.

This is also reminding me of vintage Dior for women, almost like a version of Diorella for men.

Whereas Jacomo de Jacomo, another similar fragrance, goes a little too dark too early for me, Calvin slowly meanders in that direction after an initial blast of soap.

Santos. That's what this is reminding of the most after a few more days of sampling. This is like a stronger version of Santos with a slight twist. Calvin is what I would have liked Santos Concentree to smell like. As it was, I did not like Santos Concentree, so it's Calvin to the rescue as a longer-lasting Santos alternative.
31st May, 2021 (last edited: 03rd June, 2021)

Miss Dior Rose N'Roses by Christian Dior

I like this Rose n’ Roses. I’ve seen mixed reviews for this line, but I have smelled this enough times now to confirm that my impression of liking it is reproducible. I smelled it blind this morning, and I thought it smelled like classic Dior.
27th May, 2021

Oud Ispahan by Christian Dior

I wore this yesterday for the first and most likely the last time. I live with someone who has worn it a few times, and she can pull it off ok, and likes it, but it was not good on me. I didn't like it. I wanted it to be gone. This morning when I woke up, it was almost entirely gone, and I felt relief.

Fake oud is a trip. Banana Republic has one they call 17 Oud Mosaic (as in 2017, as in that's the way perfume from 2017 supposedly smelled). I find it shocking and/or amusing, and most oud / fake oud fragrances strike me that way.

At times, I've felt like Oud Ispahan was the least bad of the genre, but after wearing it, it feels like a moot point - I don't think I like any of them.
17th May, 2021

Miss Dior Original Extrait de Parfum by Christian Dior

I have several bottles of vintage Miss Dior parfum, and they can vary more than I would have hoped. A good bottle that has held up well, such as the small, 7.5 ml bottles, can be great. Even in that size, I've had some variability, with only the oldest bottles hitting the highest heights.

With vintage Miss Dior edt, it seems easier to strike gold every time than it is with the parfum.
13th May, 2021

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

I don’t mind the sprayer that doesn’t quite work right. It’s funny to see it mentioned in the official site notes. I went for the oldest bottle I could find (with a short ingredients list), and the liquid dribbles out.

I thought it would be more like Hugo. It’s a surprise that it’s so different, but it is a nice creamy woods fragrance, with more of a feminine or unisex feel.
08th May, 2021

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I like this fragrance, Hugo. I like a few things from around this time, 1995, such as Platinum Egoiste (1993) and CK One (1994), and this reminds me of those. It has a hint of Nautica Voyage (2006), but that one gets cloying to me, and I think Hugo avoids that.

Another fragrance I acquired recently that is similar to Hugo is Dior Dune Pour Homme (1997) - I think I'm liking Hugo more than Dune Pour Homme. I'm actually fairly impressed with Hugo and surprised it doesn't get mentioned more. I got it as a gift.

Update: It's reminding me of Calvin Klein Euphoria Men.
21st April, 2021 (last edited: 01st May, 2021)

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

I want to like this because I have acquired a nice-looking bottle of it, and I tend to like Dior fragrances, but Dune Pour Homme has just been ok, and cloying at times, especially early on. I don't quite like it. But I find it interesting, and I plan to keep it in deep storage for a few years to try it again later.

I get a vague association with / similar synthetic vibe from Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

I find Dune Pour Homme nicer after an hour of development, but the opening has been ruining the fun.
21st April, 2021

Rouge Trafalgar by Christian Dior

I just had a chance to experience Rouge Trafalgar, and I liked it, but I couldn't tell it was from the exclusive line because it smells so mass market. It smells like typical feminine Dior DNA, which I like, mixed with elements of Flowerbomb and maybe even some Polo Red.
08th April, 2021

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

This has lemon and lavender, and an old-school Eau de Cologne feel.
26th January, 2021

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

This is an easy thumbs up. I'm a huge fan.

I didn't try it until after I had stocked up on a bunch of masculine vintage oak moss fragrances, and used that as rationale not to get a bottle. When I tried it a couple years later, I felt like I needed a bottle and a backup.

The possible downside is that it's not always a strong projector. It can take deliberately placed overapplication to produce a euphoric scent cloud, for example to the front collar area of a cotton crew-neck t-shirt.
05th January, 2021

Un Homme by Charles Jourdan

I like this ok. Everyone on here seems to like it, and I've received a glowing compliment while wearing it today, but I'm not quite enthusiastic about it. I'm not a fan of Azzaro pour Homme, so this near-smell-alike didn't have the best prospect of becoming a personal favorite. It's fine, though.
29th December, 2020

Cloud by Ariana Grande

I've smelled niche fragrances that are similar to this (from memory, I think they may have been Carner Barcelona Palo Santo and Affinessence Cedre-Iris). I thought those smelled awfully synthetic and mass-market for so-called niche, so this packaging and marketing seem like a better fit.

It develops into a base that smells like Burberry for Women (1995) and Goutal Rose Splendide (2010).
25th December, 2020 (last edited: 26th December, 2020)

Glossier You by Glossier

I like it. It's borderline cloying. It's loaded with modern (white?) musks. It's reminding me of Chanel 1957. This style isn't so bad. The musks are powdery.
08th December, 2020

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

I thought about giving this a neutral because I like Santos so much more than this Concentree version, and this version is not what I expected.

Openings matter, and Santos has a great opening. Santos Concentree has a much more challenging open.

This is a little like Santos crossed with Quorum, but with more Quorum.

The base has some magic. It's faint by then, but as a skin scent, it's a perfect 10.

The whole experience of wearing it is something I can do without. The amazing base makes me want to give it another chance. During the first couple hours though, on each of these approximately five occasions, I've thought to myself, "never again."
22nd November, 2020 (last edited: 29th December, 2020)

Spice Blend by Christian Dior

I like this. It is a different style that I had to get used to, but it has been winning me over.

It is like a non-vanilla, non-sweet version of Dior Homme Intense. I know Dior Homme Intense well, and Spice Blend feels like a companion fragrance. It's almost like a pencil sketch of Dior Homme Intense.
02nd November, 2020

J'Adore Infinissime by Christian Dior

I like it. I got the sample from my significant other who didn't like it. To me, it's a floral fragrance, and I tend to like flowers like this. She seems to dislike anything with Tuberose, and I tend to like anything with tuberose.

I had tested Guerlain's Joyeuse Tubéreuse, which I liked, and this reminds me of that.
26th October, 2020

Realm by Germaine Monteil

A nice vetiver. It doesn't smell especially vintage, to me. The only vetiver I've worn routinely up to now is Elie Saab, and this is in the same general style as that. This is softer, and a little more old-school smelling, but not much. The funk in this has an older-smelling woodiness - I think it's just the vetiver. It smells like something that could be IFRA compliant.

It's fine. I like it. I have a nice bottle of the cologne. The packing is good. I hope it grows on me, and I don't know why it wouldn't, but my initial feeling is that it's nice, but not that exciting.
08th July, 2020

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

This is a winner from Aramis. I was so impressed the first time I smelled it, from a vintage sample. It's starts like a fresh Eau de Cologne, like something that might be light, but it turns increasingly masculine, with more of an after shave vibe, and also stronger smelling as the patchouli comes to the fore.

It does smell like what I think of as geranium.

I wore this on an early date with the person I'm still dating, which is a sign that I was into it, and she loved it.
20th June, 2020

Tuberose & Moss by Rogue Perfumery

Outstanding white floral. Simple.

The tuberose is just right. Not at all intense or cloying. The base has a hint of laundry musk, but still natural smelling, and some vanilla.

For my tastes, on par with the best perfume houses present and past.

16th June, 2020

Bijan for Men by Bijan

I got a good deal on a vintage bottle (short ingredients list), and the opening is a stunner - I love it! My initial reaction is a dream escape to the height of early 80s luxury and masculine charm. I'm swept away by the beauty, and find myself laughing. It's a little hot spicy, like the spicy note in Patou Pour Homme, but it has even more in common with Versace L'Homme, which I like, the same kind of powdery, patchouli-driven accord.

Bijan Men settles fairly quickly to a polite, restrained fragrance on my skin. I get more strength from Versace L'Homme, which somehow manages to rev up as it goes along (with help from vanilla). With Bijan Men, it settles almost too quickly when I want some of the colorfulness of the opening to go on for longer. However, this probably makes Bijan Men the better version to wear to the office.

Where Versace L'Homme uses vanilla, and blooms as it develops, Bijan Men has a note that's almost like a chocolate-y leather, with a dash of spice, but it's a subtle thing I have to sniff up close to smell. Overall, I think it works fantastically well and that it will easily make its way in my rotation.
27th May, 2020

Patch Flash by Tauerville

The amber and toffee mentioned below are related to my concern with this fragrance, and maybe any Tauer fragrance. I don't like them. I want to like them. They seem so cool and exciting with their charismatic perfumer and hip fans. But wearing any Tauer fragrance has mostly been a learning experience for me, and not so much pleasure. It's not torture either, though, so I went with a neutral.

This has the peppery style of patchouli that I smell in some fragrances. I think these fragrances often have leather in the notes list, which I think of as a peppery leather.
25th May, 2020

Quorum by Antonio Puig

I am liking this one. The main smell-alike to me, after having worn it half a dozen times and feeling like it was reminding me of something that I couldn't place, is YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, but this is the far-superior version for my tastes. I also get some similarity to Havana and I have random thoughts while wearing it about Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Givenchy Xeryus, Giorgio VIP, and Bel Ami's pencil lead note.
11th May, 2020 (last edited: 26th May, 2020)

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

This is a fine vetiver with nice woods, a nice, polite fragrance if a little on the subtle side, like a lot of vetivers. A person needs to have a taste for this sort of vetiver-dominant fragrances, I think, to appreciate them, which I have slowly developed over time.

I had given it a neutral, but wearing it again, it delivers so well on what the label promises, I changed it to a thumbs up.
07th May, 2020 (last edited: 18th May, 2020)

Le Vestiaire des Parfums : Caftan by Yves Saint Laurent

Caftan is ok. Not really my style. I think it features cashmeran (aka blonde woods, aka a kind of breakfast porridge-type smell). For a cashmeran fragrance, it's a good one.
21st April, 2020

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

This is a nice fragrance. I've had moments when I could fully embrace and appreciate it. Other times, it makes me think of a car air freshener. But then again, maybe a cool car air freshener.

It falls a little short, for my tastes, for something I would want to wear often.

At the same time, it's too haunting and immersive for a neutral.
28th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (new) by Godet

I opened this sample thinking it was 1920s juice. Instead, it smells way too modern for my tastes.

It took me a while to place it, but this is a smell-alike of L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme edt.
25th March, 2020

Cuir de Russie (original) by Godet

This is a capable fragrance in what I think of as the Russian Leather style based on Chanel Cuir de Russie and Christian Dior Jules (and maybe a couple others). I got to try some old juice in a sample pass on here, maybe even a 1920s sample - at least pre-1950, I think, and it was nice. Not mind-blowing or must have, and it smelled maybe past its prime, and not as sparkly as vintage samples of Chanel Cuir de Russie I've tried, but still so much fun to sample.
25th March, 2020