Reviews by theaveragecologneguy

Legend Intense by Montblanc

Montblanc Legend Intense Review:

This fragrance opens up with a very pleasant pineapple note. It then leads into a mid that's dominated by a spicy red apple smell. This is all held together by a soft tonka bean note in the base. Despite the fact that the notes are completely different, this does smell very similar to Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch. So much so that if you own one, you probably wouldn't care to own the other. I personally like the way this one achieves it smell a little bit better. It's a sweeter, less in your face take on the Fierce scent we all know.

This is a pretty well-rounded and inoffensive scent that doesn't really seem all that "Intense" to me. This works much better as a casual fragrance that you can wear without having to give it much thought. That's not a negative. After all, there are probably times when all of us want something a bit lighter to wear. It's just something you should know going in. I think this one will appeal mostly to those of you in your 20's, who are looking for a versatile and easy to like fragrance.

If you're looking for an upgrade from the Fierce smell, I would definitely check out Platinum Egoiste by Chanel. It achieves the masculine smell these fragrances go for, but it accomplishes it with a much classier approach. Still, Legend Intense is a solid fragrance that I'm happy to have in my collection.

Best Age Group- 20's
Occasions- Casual, Dates, Work
Longevity- 8 Hours
Smell- 7.5/10
Overall- 7.5/10

02nd August, 2021

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford Review

Noir de Noir is a strong mixture of rose, truffle, vanilla, and patchouli. What you see is what you get. If you like the notes, you will love this fragrance!

The rose dominates the beginning stages of the fragrance, but softens as time goes on. This is a beautiful note and has an incredible quality to it.

As the fragrance continues to progress, the truffle and patchouli begin to take the center stage. This mixture makes for a more creamy, gourmand, and chocolate vibe.

This is an absolutely beautiful fragrance. The ingredients and quality are absolutely top notch. I loved this the first time I smelled it. As time has go on, my tastes have changed and shifted to more woody scents. My biggest problem with the fragrance is I personally find it hard to wear. The performance is absolutely insane and it's just a bit much for me most of the time. That being said, the beauty of this fragrance cannot be questioned.

I should also note, this review is for a much older bottle. I have not tested any formulation since 2015. All the scores below apply to the older version of the fragrance.

Age Group- 25+
Season- Fall/Winter/Spring
Occasions- Formal/Date
Sillage- Heavy
Longevity- 24 Hours+ (Lasts through showers and washing of clothes)

01st August, 2021

Santal / Sandalwood by Floris

Floris Santal Review:

This fragrance starts of with a fairly subdued spicy opening. The spiciness comes from the cardamom mixed with a hint of pepper. Just like with everything else in this scent, the pepper never feels brash or abrasive to your senses. Sitting behind this spicy concoction is just a little bit of citrus.

The opening then leads into a soft lavender mid, with a creamy sandalwood base. It amazingly accomplishes all of this with a fresh airiness to it all. It's a beautiful fragrance in it's simplicity and is one of my absolute favorites.

This is one of the fragrances that gets compared to the classic Gucci Envy on occasion. From what I have tried, this is the smell that reminds me of Envy the most. It just so happens, that for my personal tastes, I actually prefer this one. It has a lighter and brighter smell to it than Gucci. This is a perfect fragrance to add to your Fall and Spring Rotations. Also, if you find the Extreme version I would definitely pick it up. It's a bit stronger than the original and would be quite a find.

27th July, 2021

Individuel by Montblanc

Montblanc Individuel Review:

Individuel opens up with a spicy cinnamon note, with just a hint of lavender and fruit behind it. The fragrance then dives head first into a creamy raspberry smell for the remainder of the fragrance. It's a fairly linear smell to my nose. It's very clean, fruity, and inoffensive.

I like this one, but I don't love it. Aside from work, I can't find all that many occasions in which I reach for this one. I think this has a wide appeal and can work for any age. I'd recommend checking it out if you're looking for a fresh and clean scent to add to your arsenal.

Original Santal by Creed gets compared quite a bit to this fragrance. Unfortunately, I have yet to try that one. Individuel usually runs about $20 and that seems like the perfect price for this smell. I personally wouldn't want to shell out the cash for a Creed that smells similar.

Best Age Group- Any age
Best Season- Spring
Occasions- Work, Casual

25th July, 2021

Visit by Azzaro

Azzaro Visit Review

One of the most underrated fragrances of all time? I think so. To be completely honest, it's taken me years to fully appreciate this gem for what it is. Visit is one of the best fragrances on the market today.

Visit opens with a spicy blast of pepper and nutmeg. The opening is daring and in your face, but never offensive or abrasive. The scent transitions into a dark mid dominated by incense and cedar. Visit is rounded off with a wonderful amber base.

I'm really not sure why this fragrance doesn't get the love it deserves. Maybe it's the bottle? Maybe it's the built in sprayer? Maybe it's the comparisons to Gucci Rush? It doesn't really matter what the reason is. If this were released by Creed and priced at $300 dollars, people would be raving.

Don't be one of the crowd that will only be clamouring for the remaining stock once it's discontinued. Enjoy this beautiful fragrance and stand out from the people around you. Make a statement. Be bold.

Projection- Moderate
Longevity- 14 Hours (EXCELLENT longevity)

24th July, 2021

Pure Nautica Discovery by Nautica

Nautica Pure Discovery Review:

This fragrance opens up with a strong orange note. It's so strong in fact, that it takes center stage for the rest of the fragrance. Thankfully it's a very nice fruity orange note. It lacks any unpleasant sharpness that sometimes comes with fruit/citrus notes. There is just a hint of ginger after the opening, and then some sandalwood in the base to hold everything together. This is a very pleasant and simple fragrance to my nose.

If you like orange in your fragrances then you should definitely check this one out. Especially considering the great prices online. I own both this and Nautica Voyage. I actually like the way this smells a little bit better than Voyage. Imagine replacing the apple note in Voyage with an orange note. Now dial back the aquatics and add sandalwood to the base. You can now imagine what Pure Discovery smells like. The one drawback I have, especially when compared to Voyage, is that the projection is lacking on my skin. Otherwise, this is a solid cheapie to add to your collection.

Best Age Group- Teens and 20's
Best Season- Summer

22nd July, 2021

Spirited by Perry Ellis

Perry Ellis Spirited Review:

This fragrance opens up with a red apple note, with a hint of ginger sitting behind it. The apple is strong and dominates the opening. It's also a bit sharp to my nose. Certainly not a terrible fruity note though. The red apple then begins to mix with the peppery and woody notes. It makes for a very masculine and fruity smell. This is a pleasant enough scent that will certainly get the job done. At the same time, don't expect it to exceed any of your expectations.

For my personal tastes, this fragrance really doesn't do all that much for me. I think there are far better cheapies out there. That being said, you could also do a lot worse. I would recommend this to someone who really loves red apple notes in fragrances.

Best Age Group- 20's
Longevity- 8 Hours
Smell- 5.5/10
Overall- 6/10

22nd July, 2021

Eau de Santal by Floris

Floris Santal Review:

This is one of the fragrances that gets compared to the classic Gucci Envy on occasion. From what I have tried, this is the smell that reminds me of Envy the most. It just so happens, that for my personal tastes, I actually prefer this one. It has a lighter and brighter smell to it than Gucci. It lacks the ginger and incense of Envy. They are certainly two unique fragrances that should be appreciated as separate entities. Still, this is a great pick up for those who miss that Envy dry down.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extrême / Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

LIDGE Review:

This will be a review of the newer formulation of LIDGE. I have not, and will probably never try the older version.

The star anise opening to this scent is my least favorite part of this fragrance. It's a bold, brash, and harsh opening that just doesn't sit quite right on my skin. Thankfully it doesn't last too long. Once you get past the opening, you get to this wonderful patchouli and cocoa combination. It's an incredibly dry smell. You certainly don't want to go in expecting a creamy chocolate smell. That being said, I still get a slightly gourmand type of feel from this one. It's just an incredibly unique take on a masculine fragrance.

This smells much better at a distance as opposed to up close on the skin. For that reason, I don't think this is the best date fragrance. I'd also recommend spraying this on your skin instead of your clothes. The fragrance develops much better that way.

This is a fragrance that took some time to grow on me. I recommend anyone who's checking it out to give it at least three wearings before you make up your mind. This has a certain captivating magic to it that takes some time to really appreciate.

Best Season- Winter

Kristiansand New York by Kristiansand New York

Kristiansand New York Review:

This fragrance opens up with a spicy and peppery green smell on my skin. The pepper lets up a bit revealing a little nutmeg with a hint of fruitiness from the fig note. After the opening, a nice masculine lavender note takes center stage. This lavender note then transitions into a soft musk and amber dry down.

This is a VERY powdery fragrance. If you don't like powdery fragrances then definitely avoid this one. If you do like them, you have to try this fragrance out. It's an absolutely beautiful and unique take on a masculine scent. If you're looking for something that will make you stand out from the crowd, I would definitely recommend this one. My only problem with this fragrance is it occasionally comes across as a bit sour on my skin. Other than that, I really enjoy this one.

Some people compare this one to D&G's BY. I have never tried that fragrance so I can't compare. I can only tell you that, out of all the different scents I've smelled, there has been nothing that smelled quite like this.

Longevity- 9 Hours
Smell- 9/10
Overall- 9/10

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

Encre Noire Sport Review:

My personal favorite "Sport" fragrance. Although the name really doesn't do this fragrance justice. You'll find that out as soon as you spray this for the first time.

This is the perfect fragrance for those of you who may have found the original just a bit too heavy. This is essentially a lighter version with new elements added. It's a composition composed of a grapefruit opening, aquatic/lavender mid, and vetiver base. This makes for the PERFECT fragrance. This has a beautiful balance to it that the original lacks when it comes to my personal taste.

This would never feel out of place for any occasion. Whether it be work, a special dinner, or just a casual day out with friends. It accomplishes the rare feat of feeling classy and casual at the same time. It's especially perfect for those rainy Spring days.

Best Season- Spring
Longevity- 9 Hours
Smell- 9.5/10
Overall- 9.5/10

17th July, 2021

Présence by Montblanc

Presence by Montblanc Review

Presence opens up with a blast of spicy cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger. This is a pleasant fresh spicy opening. The scent then takes a turn towards being more sweet with a green apple note. The fragrance is held up by a soft tonka bean dry down. It's inoffensive.

This is a great dumb reach fragrance. It could be used for any casual or work situation. It has absolutely no wow factor though. Find something else for dates or formal.

This is the third Montblanc fragrance I've purchased along with Individuel and Legend Intense. Legend Intense is my favorite of the three. As far as smell is concerned, Individuel and Presence are on the same level for me. Individuel has better performance though and seems more mass appealing.

The performance on this one is not great. I go heavy, well for me at least, with 4 to 5 sprays.

Longevity- 6 Hours
Smell- 7/10
Overall- 6.5/10

17th July, 2021

Sartoriale by Pal Zileri

Sartoriale by Pal Zileri Review

A sandalwood masterpiece. If you like the note of sandalwood whatsoever, this will be right up your alley. This smell is easily one of my favorites in my collection. It's absolute perfection.

Unfortunately, the performance on this is incredibly lacking. Both the sillage and longevity are among the weakest in all the fragrances I've tried. Keep in mind that, in general, I'm an incredibly light sprayer. It's rare that I go more than 2-3 sprays on a fragrance. This one just doesn't cut it with twice that amount.

If you like this fragrance, I highly suggest you check out Azzaro Visit. They smell similar to me. Visit is a darker and spicier fragrance, but it's a wonderful alternative that performs much better!

Best Season(s)- Spring/Summer/Fall
Occasions- Casual, Work, Formal, Date
Longevity- 3 Hours

YouTube Channel: theaveragecologneguy
16th July, 2021 (last edited: 20th July, 2021)

Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Cedrat Boise by Mancera Review

Cedrat opens up with a nice lemon note. The lemon quickly leads into the black currant which is dominant throughout the opening.

The fruity opening leads into a powdery vanilla, cedar, and leather combination for the remainder of the wearing. It gives a woody/ashy smell to the dry down I absolutely can't get enough of it.

This is a wonderfully rich smell. Overall the fragrance is fairly linear.

This scent gets a lot of comparisons to Creed Aventus. They really aren't anything alike. They accomplish similar things, but in completely different ways. Appreciate, or hate, both of them for what they are.

The performance on this one is excellent. I use 1 spray for work and 2 sprays for everything else. It's incredibly versatile. I can see this being worn for any occasion or season. Be careful on the sprays though. This one is deceptively strong at times.

Best Season(s)- Fall/Spring/Summer/Winter
Longevity- 12 Hours

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche Review

This one opens up with a strong orange peel note. If you love the smell of oranges, this one will grab you right of the bat. The fragrance then softens up with some geranium. You're finally led to a nice woody/cedar dry down. The fragrance is very linear. What you see is what you get. If you don't like the notes, I would definitely skip this one! Fortunately for me, this is right up my alley.

This is much easier to wear than the original. I do prefer this one even though it is less complex and challenging. It's classy, refined, and incredibly easy to like.

I use two sprays with this one. Both on the neck. The opening is quite strong but then it softens up after 30 minutes. Performance is solid on my skin.

Occasions- Casual, Work, Formal

Noir by Adnan B.

Noir Adnan B. Review

Noir opens with a blast of citrus and pepper. It comes across quite harsh to my nose, but then quickly softens up nicely with a hint of apple. I would certainly not describe the opening as being overly fruity or bright.

The mid is where this fragrance truly shines. It has a beautiful combination of smoke and patchouli. I always enjoy this portion of the fragrance during my wearings.

The dry down is a combination of amber, vanilla, and musk. The amber is the star here. It has a dark and syrupy quality on my skin.

I would not describe this as an Aventus clone. This has no pineapple opening. The dry down smells completely different. The mid does smell quite similar. Both Aventus and Noir nail the masculine smokiness at the heart of the fragrance. Noir is much more patchouli heavy though.

I smell zero similarities with Cedrat Boise. I absolutely adore Cedrat and wear it several times a week. This does not compare in the slightest. Take this with a grain of salt though. Many of these comments vary in opinions and I differ on many of them. I'm not sure why.

This is certainly a quality fragrance. That can't be denied. It smells like it should cost $200 or more. Even though it's a quality scent, it's certainly not one of my favorites. I find the dry down to be a bit off putting at times. Still, when the mood hits, this one gets the job done.

Best Season(s)- All
Occasions- Casual, Work, Formal
Overall- 7.5/10

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Bleu de Chanel Review

The fragrance opens with an amazing grapefruit note. It's a beautiful and vibrant opening. It lacks any harshness that you can sometimes find with citrus openings. It's very well done and starts things off in the right direction. The mid mostly consists of ginger with a hint of nutmeg. Once you reach the dry down, Bleu is taken over by a combination of cedar and incense for the rest of your wearing.

There's really not much to be said about this fragrance that hasn't already been said. It's a beautiful composition that is incredibly difficult to not like. For my personal tastes these days, it doesn't really interest me that much. That's not necessarily a knock against the fragrance. It just means that I've moved on to others areas in my fragrance journey. That being said, this is ALWAYS a solid choice and a great addition to any wardrobe. Especially if you're just starting out in the fragrance game.

I rarely mention compliments when talking about fragrances. I find they can be often overstated and they're not something that interest me these days. That being said, this is by far my most complimented fragrance. It's not even close.

Occasions- Casual, Work, Formal, Date

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Chanel Egoiste Review:

Egoiste's opening is highlighted by the Brazilian rosewood note on my skin. It's a woody and rosy smell, with just a hint of fruit in the background. I've heard many people say that the opening to this fragrance is harsh and musky. It was quite the opposite for me. This may have to deal with the fact that I have a newer formulation. I really can't say for sure because this is the only one I've tried. It's something to keep in mind though.

The opening fades fairly quickly, beautifully transitioning to the rose note. This note is the key player for the next hour or so on my skin. This isn't your typical rose note either. It certainly doesn't smell like what you would find in Noir de Noir. Instead, it smells darker and a bit damp. The image that immediately comes to mind is smelling a rose petal after a heavy rain. It's an absolutely beautiful and masculine take on rose.

After an hour, the cinnamon note takes center stage. This note smells less sweet and more dry than what you would find in Spicebomb or Carven Homme. It reminds me more of the note from HiM by Hanae Mori. Sitting behind the cinnamon are a dry tobacco leaf, powdery vanilla, sandalwood, and a little bit of creamy amber. The combination makes for a wonderful rich, spicy, and woody smell.

The first time I smelled Egoiste I was completely blown away. I tried this fragrance because it has many notes that I love in fragrances. It has such a unique take on these notes and that's really what makes it such a special scent.

I'm sure that if you read several of these reviews you'll be uncertain of what to expect. Some people will call this musky and others will call this fruity. Some will find cinnamon to be the dominate note, while others will say the sandalwood is the key player. The truth is, Egoiste's beautiful smell can be a bit hard to describe to someone. It defies expectations and is a unique experience for everyone. That's why I highly recommend at least sampling it. Especially if you like fragrances such as LIDGE, Carven Homme, or Gucci Envy.

Projection- Medium

Égoïste Cologne Concentrée by Chanel

Chanel Egoiste Cologne Concentree Review

This is easily one of the best fragrances I've ever smelled. Let me make an analogy here. Stay with me on this.

The EdT version of Egoiste, I have the 2014 formulation, is like watching one of your favorite movies on DVD. The image is less sharp and you don't see all the details. The movie is still amazing though because, after all, it's one of your favorites.

Cologne Concentree is like watching that same movie in 4K. This is beautifully crafted. Every nuance of the scent is detectable and perfectly placed. It's a spicier, richer, and more vibrant fragrance.

All that being said, Egoiste is still Egoiste. Whether that's a current formulation or an old formulation. Both smell fantastic and are worthy of your time and money.

Projection- Medium
Longevity- 12 Hours
Overall- 10/10

If you're interested in my review of the EdT version, check it out under my reviews.