Reviews by brianpk80

El Cosmico by D.S. & Durga

There's something unspeakably awful going on with this fragrance. It reminds me of a durian, which is a particularly noxious fruit I had at an Indonesian restaurant once. I've sampled a lot of fragrances in the past few years and this one of the only ones that is almost as sickening as Secretions Magnifiques. It is long lasting and seems to have good sillage for anyone who likes the scent, but it conjures up horrible images for both me and my partner. Burnt engines with something sickly sweet, eerie, and wrong.
15th December, 2017

Iris Cendré by Naomi Goodsir

It reminded me of an imbalanced Dior Eau for Men. The Iris was unsubtle and caked in sickly sweetness. Should probably have been classified as a feminine scent.
10th August, 2017

Guerlain Homme Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

This fragrance is wonderful conceptually and beautifully executed. Mojito as a high class affair. It projects and lasts better on me than some of the reviews here would suggest and it's above average compared to other fragrances I own. I have not tried the Intense version but will look into that when this one runs out. If the Intense version is superior (and it may be), then that's the only reason I can think of not to buy the standard Guerlain Homme. Quality scent, incredible value. Nothing to dislike at all.
12th January, 2016

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Phenomenal. The first time I sampled this it made me laugh because the coffee was so distinct and recognizable, I couldn't imagine anyone taking it seriously as a personal scent for the day. Fragrances are works of art indeed, but there's little use for a scent presented as an eau de toilette that can't be worn. If it's unwearable, it's better off as a scented candle or simply a paper strip.

Fortunately, A*Men Coffee made such an impression that after sampling several scents that day it couldn't be erased from my memory. I thought about it throughout the week and something told me I needed to try it again. I did so; it smelled exactly the same as the first time but instead of being amused at how uncannily it resembled coffee, I took notice of just how nice the overall scent is as something to wear. It doesn't make you smell like a Starbucks at all. Instead, it smells entirely appropriate and complete as a men's winter fragrance with this breathtaking note of coffee that's neither too sweet nor too bitter. It's gorgeous, unique, and unforgettable.

I have the original A*Men and have sampled several from the line. Pure Coffee is my favorite head and shoulders above the rest.
12th January, 2016

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

This is a brilliant fragrance. It won the International Fragrance Foundation Award for 2015 in Men's Prestige category (what we'd call designer) for good reason. I'd always found Dior Homme to be boring when sampling and while appreciating it, would always end up buying something else. One day, I sampled several different fragrances and one of the last I tried was Eau for Men. It stood out from at least a dozen others, easily memorable, so clean, classy, and sophisticated. It's very white collar and urbane, suggestive of a brand new luxury car. Mature and no-nonsense. Best for professionals aged 28 through 55. Not as rugged as Sauvage. Huge compliment getter from "beautiful" to "hot" to "amazing." Works as a signature scent, any time of year, any occasion. Five stars and thumbs up.
11th January, 2016

Adam Levine for Men by Adam Levine

A very fierce orange. Citrus is the only thing I get from this and that's fine by me; it's refreshing and enjoyable. For a $15 fragrance in a pretty nice looking bottle, this was a good purchase.

Super Man by Al Rehab

Amazing scent, it has incredible strength and a beautiful dry down. Among a cross-section crowd a friends, it easily smells like something rarefied and highly expensive; very different from Western designer scents without creeping into impolite territory (ie bathroom scents).

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I can barely smell it. Bought at the store several years ago. All I get from it is a very faint generic men's cologne scent. It's one of the worst I have.

Latitude Longitude by Nautica

This was one of the first colognes I bought at TJ Maxx when I first discovered the place almost 15 years ago. It was inexpensive and was "adequate" at best. That doesn't mean it was bad, just that it was indistinct and unremarkable, boring but pleasant. I was college aged. I wore it whenever I didn't want to waste the fragrances I'd paid full retail for, which back then would be Hugo, Burberry, Givenchy Pour Homme, D&G, Crave, Platinum Egoiste and a few others or even cheaper ones from TJ Maxx that I found more special and worthy to conserve (X-Centric, Rush, Xeryus Rouge).

I am shocked to learn how expensive this fragrance has become. I can appreciate the increases on Gucci Rush for Men which was also available at TJ Maxx like stores in huge abundances at the same time as Nautica L&L because that one was more unique and had personality. But this fragrance was so bland, weak, and insignificant I can't imagine paying more than $25 for it even today. I would give it a neutral rating overall but I gave it a negative for "value" as a service to anyone thinking about hunting this one down or paying something obscene for it.
22nd December, 2015

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I've always loved pear and to find out there was a fragrance out there that had it as a top note was as surprising as it was exciting. Obsession Night did not disappoint. I opened the bottle, sprayed it and exclaimed, "Yes!" I own about 90 fragrances now and this is easily in the Top 5. Ignore reviews that disparage this one as "synthetic." As a practical matter that simply means the scent has more consistency and an enhanced projection as it's not as volatile and prone to expiration. It doesn't mean the effect is reminiscent of petroleum or chlorine. Enthusiastic thumbs up. Recommended for ages 22-45 for the purposes of attracting and enrapturing. Not recommended for: church, funerals.
20th December, 2015

Gentlemen Only by Givenchy

This scent is perplexing. I like it overall. The dry down is very different from the opening which is bright. On my partner, it smells sophisticated, smoky, and complex. On my own skin, it smells like dried Chap Stick after an hour or so. The scent is a bit faint on me as most Givenchys have always been, except for PI and Xeryus Rouge. But I've always enjoyed their initial effect. To get a better sense of this fragrance, I recently applied a lot on several points, including my clothes. It was then that I noticed the Chap Stick smell after an hour. I asked my partner and he found it bewildering and agreed. The next day, we tried it on him again and there was no Chap Stick scent. I suppose the scent illustrates for us how different a scent's effect can be after commingling with one's own chemistry.
19th December, 2015