Reviews by Diamant

La Couche du Diable by Serge Lutens

I really like it. The opening is a bit sweet, in the style of Jubilation XXV, then the oud fades somewhat and the sweetness gives way to notes of church frankincense. The name of the perfume is a fail though.
11th September, 2020

Périlleusement Vôtre by Serge Lutens

A soft, well-balanced composition of Rose and Oud. Nice, but not really original or Perilous, and a bit expensive at the price of the "Skyscraper" range.
10th September, 2020

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Like Amouage Interlude Man, to me it evokes memories of smoking a fruit-flavoured narghile in a chicha bar in Beirut or Istanbul. Less cloying, less sweet and more balanced than Interlude Man in my view. I like it very much.
09th September, 2020

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Smelling Chergui for the first time in 2020 is a disappointment for me. Sure it's well made, and it's exactly the genre of fragrance I like, but there's nothing special about it, when one has known Amouage, Tom Ford, L'Air du Désert and countless other interpretations of the same themes.
08th September, 2020

Monsieur. by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Clove and medicinal, smells like going to the dentist.
12th February, 2019

Royal Oud by Creed

On my skin, kind of similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, but much less flamboyant.
11th February, 2019

Serpentine by Comme des Garçons

The smell of a laundry, or someone ironing shirts near you. Metallic notes, heated fabric, scented starch, detergent (I’m making this up as I go). Then comes a darker, woody vetiver in the background. It smells good and it is original. Average performance and longevity.
09th February, 2019

Tam Dao Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

A woody scent in the spirit of Comme des Garçons Hinoki or Sugi. It's nice but the Iso E Super is too present to my nose and once I smell it, it spoils my enjoyment. Projection is a bit weak.
08th February, 2019

Ombre Nomade by Louis Vuitton

Very close to Nouveau Monde: same perfumer, same style, same year. I prefer Nouveau Monde because of the sweet cocoa note, but this is good too. Strong sillage and longevity.
27th January, 2019 (last edited: 12th August, 2019)

Journey Man by Amouage

I think that the comparison with powerful masculine scents from the 1980s is fitting. For me, Journey Man is in the same spirit as Guerlain Derby and Chanel Antaeus. We have floral and spicy head notes on a virile leather / tobacco base. The composition is elegant and perfectly balanced (I find Antaeus too loud). Great scent.
24th January, 2019

Myths Man by Amouage

I see the similarity with Interlude Man, being a sweet smoky fragrance, but this is more complex, with some dirty notes. Excellent.
16th January, 2019

Fate Man by Amouage

On my skin I initially get mostly liquorice, and a boozy scent, then I recognize cumin and incense, and light floral notes. It reminds me of Tom Ford Tobacco Oud. After a while, it becomes very dry, and evokes l'Air du Désert Marocain. A very nice scent.
14th January, 2019

Interlude Man by Amouage

Sweet and smoky, evokes memories of smoking a fruit-flavoured narghile in a chicha bar in Beirut or Istanbul. Very interesting and original. I can see how you can have fragrance fatigue after wearing this all day though, so I probably won't buy a bottle.
08th January, 2019 (last edited: 13th August, 2019)

Epic Man by Amouage

A very nice smoky woody incense, similar to Miller Harris La Fumée, with the addition of Oud which makes it more interesting in my view. I like it.
07th January, 2019

Reflection Man by Amouage

The bitter orange opening smells very medicinal to me.
04th January, 2019

Gold Man by Amouage

Musky, soapy, floral, like taking a bath in the clawfoot tub at my grandmother’s cottage in the seventies. Well done but I wouldn’t wear it.
03rd January, 2019

Memoir Man by Amouage

A dark vetiver similar to Encre Noire/Sycomore but less dark and more interesting in my view due to the complexity of the other notes.
31st December, 2018

Imitation Woman by Amouage

The opening notes are very loud. Orange and aldehydes, it smells medicinal to me. It reminds me of an ambient scent in a London department store. The drydown gets a bit quieter and more floral. There’s no way I would wear it but my wife and daughter seem to like it. It’s a feminine after all. They find it elegant. A special scent for a very sophisticated woman.
20th November, 2018

Jubilation XXV Man by Amouage

Finally bought a bottle blind on ebay (magnetic cap). Not much to add to other reviews: I love the incense/smoke/amber; I was expecting something louder, it’s rather discreet; The sweet opening notes (plum?) don’t last very long. It has become one of my favorite scents. Longevity is too short unfortunately.
12th November, 2018 (last edited: 15th October, 2020)

Nouveau Monde by Louis Vuitton

The oud / leather opening is a bit harsh but it gets softer after a few minutes thanks to the chocolate. A very accessible yet expressive oud. I have grown very fond of it.
24th October, 2018 (last edited: 29th November, 2018)

Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton

This reminds me strongly of Tauer number 11 Carillon pour un Ange. There is a mix of old wood and a grassy/floral scent (due to Ambrette seed) which to me is evocative of Lily of the Valley. The cardamom is present but faint. It smells like the Empire bedroom at Guermantes on a May day. Unfortunately the drydown is disappointing, a bit chemical with a synthetic fruity smell.
13th October, 2018 (last edited: 24th October, 2018)

Orage by Louis Vuitton

A very faithful rendition of hemp. For your Shibari sessions.
12th October, 2018

Poirier d'un Soir by Miller Harris

Bought this blind in a sale after reading the raving reviews on fragrantica - but it was a mistake. I get a bit of pear but mostly a sweet cashmere wood, a bit reminiscent of Costume National 21, which is all right. The problem is the drydown: the chemical, synthetic pear is unbearable (I probably have a problem with fruit scents because I dislike Aventus for the same reason, except it's pineapple and not pear). I gave it to my wife, and she never wears it, which says something.
08th May, 2018 (last edited: 15th October, 2020)

Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior

I don't often wear floral scents, but when I do, I get compliments from women - ultimately, I think that women prefer floral perfumes. This is a very nice rose, with the amber for substance. To me it's a formal scent, sophisticated and refined, but very wearable at the office, particularly if you are gay or French. One of my favorite scents at the moment.
03rd May, 2018

Sale Gosse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Neroli. Soap. Reminiscent of Palmolive soap bar at times.
30th November, 2017

New York Intense by Nicolaï

Having started my career in Investment Banking in the nineties in Paris, I have fond memories of Guerlain-scented boardrooms full of powerful men. I own and wear Bois du Portugal, Héritage and New York Intense. I find this one a bit more discreet, the opening is not as brash as Bois du Portugal. A nice, elegant perfume.
23rd November, 2017 (last edited: 04th February, 2019)

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I used to wear this a lot but I've grown a bit tired of its sweetish medicinal notes. I now prefer Tobacco Oud, which has stronger, more masculine notes. Gave my bottle away to my daughter, who loves it, and it's now her signature scent.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Tried Noir de Noir twice and both times disappointed. Similar to Portrait of a Lady, it smells like my grandmother’s cupboards, but in that style I prefer POAL. To be honest I rarely wear rose scents, and when do I pick Dior Ambre Nuit, which is more sexy on a man.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

After a short orange/citrus opening, Bigarade changes quickly to an unmistakable generic Ellena scent which could be anything from the Hermessence range. I like it but it's too expensive.

Diorissimo Eau de Toilette by Christian Dior

I bought this for my wife but she didn't like it, so I wear it. I like to wear Lily of the Valley scents in early May (this or Carillon pour un Ange, which is more woody). It brings memories of my mother and sisters picking Muguet in the park of Guermantes. I find it more herbal than floral, and very wearable for a man.

Update: my wife smelled it on me and took back the bottle. I like when she wears it.
03rd May, 2017 (last edited: 07th November, 2017)