Reviews by redharvey

Prada L'Homme by Prada

I’m with the previous reviewer here. I can see why some would call it clean, But to me, it is sweet, powdery, ultra modern, boring, then clean. Not a versatile scent at all as it would only fill that void that is between casual and formal. And even then not for anyone over the age of 22.

If this were any other fragrance that didn’t get this much hype then maybe a neutral review but this isn’t worthy of the hype it garners. For a fun, clean, and terrific Prada men’s scent see Luna Rossa.
15th May, 2020

Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel

So smooth. Has the typical Chanel quality use of extremely high quality synthetics to create something of value. The blue base and vibe resemble the original BdC but this is far better as the scratchy-ness of the original is replaced by something smoother and deeper. Lasts long, wife loves it, not overpowering, and is overall an uplifting frag. Great stuff.
11th May, 2020

Layton by Parfums de Marly

I can see why this is a compliment magnet to the nth degree. It is basically Pure Malt, Le Male, and La Nuit muddled together but blended surprisingly well.

The problem is It’s just such a generic experience to anyone with any forward interest in frags, which is why I can see this being more pleasing from the person across from you, not you the wearer.

It is a smooth semi gourmand with a very sweet opening and sexy drydown, but again....
Disgustingly generic, way too safe, and completely undeserving of the price tag.
05th July, 2019

Noble VII Cosmos Flower by Clive Christian

A youthful floral gourmand that reeks of sex in the classiest of ways. Has a light caramel essence to it that lasts 12+ hours. It does have an ‘enhanced designer’ feel to it, as the smell has a slightly generic vibe, but like most of the fragrances from the tacky and ridiculous Clive Christian house, it is extremely well blended and doesn’t smell synthetic in the least.

The projection is unbelievable, so one spray should be sufficient.
19th April, 2019

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Dark blue, inky, fresh, classy.

To me this is what a ‘blue’ frag should be. I usually pass on what notes a fragrance has, instead focusing on how it smells. In my opinion, this isn’t as much an aquatic as it is a blue scent. It reminds me of a fall day with fun plans. Gives off a very pleasing and energetic vibe, and women love it. It’s hard to be dull when wearing this, even if you’re in a bad mood or busy. Again, I wouldn’t call it an aquatic, because when I think aquatic I think Versace pour homme, AdG, Polo Blue. This is a far deeper and darker scent that can be worn in almost any occasion, typical Chanel versatility. The wearer will feel fun, but serious.
01st January, 2019

Royal Oud by Creed

Refined, woody, rich, alluring.

I always do my best to rate a fragrance based on the scent and performance itself, but as of late, the price Creed is demanding is laughable. Sure it’s a good quality juice but for 450$? Come on. To me, this is definitely a quality fragrance that could easily be pulled off by any man or woman 30+ dressed nice on a cold day. The woody accord may be the most literal one out there. It’s linear and long lasting and a very “deep” and rich classy wood scent, not far off from Sycomore at the top.
But to me, this is really trying to achieve the same thing as Black Walnut, but for 20x the price, it’s tough to justify.
18th December, 2018

Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Sweet, soft, ultra modern.

In my opinion, this is a very generic fragrance that isn’t entirely masculine. This is very similar to reflection man.
Very linear, with the bubblegum note at the front the entire time. I don’t get much citrus, just sweet chewy bubblegum. This earns a negative review mostly because the price point and asinine backstory are laughable for such a generic cheap smelling fragrance.
17th December, 2018

Erolfa by Creed

Opens up with that creed-fake-citrusy accord akin to Neroli Sauvage (citrus potpourri that’s extremely dated). The urine is definitely present in the first 30 minutes too. We’re off to a pretty rough start.

But after an hour or two, it calms way down to what I would consider is a quality, smooth, sexy, well blended aquatic scent that hovers off the skin a foot or two and makes the upsetting opening almost worth bearing.
The 90’s Creeds are definitely a different generation than the recent releases. Wow. Again, after the first hour, this is doable. But for what they’re asking for this jumble of satisfaction... I don’t see a full bottle coming anytime soon.
13th December, 2018

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Woody, dry, fresh, citrus.

A well crafted cedar fragrance that smells natural. A little bit of orange/lemon is present in the background. There is an odd mineral note that does suit the vibe of this, but does take away from the versatility and adds a bit of maturity. Probably best suited for formal wear in cooler weather.
12th December, 2018

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

To me anyways.. very clean, light, bright and super polished. Definitely unisex.
06th December, 2018

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

A dated feminine orange potpourri. Zero Neroli. This fragrance is a strong testament to the popular opinion that Creed does not live up to the hype, price, or expectation. To me, Neroli Sauvage is not an attractive scent.
03rd December, 2018

Sauvage by Christian Dior

Such an unbelievably unnatural concoction of chemicals.

Some say this smells good, despite the bad press... if by 'good' you mean I can smell you coming down the hall from 10 feet away and you leave the scent behind you that manifests as a vile chemical cloud that remains for 15 minutes? If that is what You're going for then sure. Its in your face, cocky, and obnoxious, maybe like the wearer? I'm not sure...

Something had to have gone wrong during production and they decided to stick with it. Was it supposed to be a fresh barbershop style aromatic, and it ended up as the loudest most synthetic thing released to date? I think so.
06th November, 2018

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

"The taste of her cherry chapstick."

There's your top notes, in addition to the familiar youthful A*Men base that I consider timeless and seductive.

The cherry does open a bit strong and feminine to me but it dies down within an hour and remains, mellowing out the rest of the whole fragrance to a beautiful soft cherry woody scent for the remainder of its presence. Excellent cold weather date night scent. Very sweet, comfortable, and unique. Projection and longevity are on par with the rest of the line. Gorgeous fragrance.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Sweet, Woody, Boozy, warm.
These (for lack of a better term) seductive top notes in addition to the usual familiar youthful A*Men base.

It's a strictly cold weather date night scent that exudes confidence and class. It's not to be taken lightly or over sprayed. It projects well and is heavy, making it probably the least versatile of the line but it is the most interesting.

Trying to sum up the hype for this one, I think the TM marketing dept. has excelled here and the novelty factor is strong with this one. "Pure Malt" sounds awesome! It's a whiskey themed fragrance?! All that paired with a solid blend of notes...

Undeserving of the hype, but still really good.

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

Dark, coffee, wood, spice.
That mature combination of top notes, but also maintaining the youthful base that carries through into every A*Men. My favorite of the flankers so far, followed by Pure Malt in a close second. Not as sweet as PM or PH; has a darker, more mature quality.
The scent is resinous and beautiful, and fitting to anyone between 25 and 60.
A cold weather gourmand, not unlike its brothers, but this one can be a little more forgiving in slightly warmer weather. Solid 6 hours of projection and another 8 as a lingering skin scent. I think it's rare to find such a universally pleasing, interesting, yet unique male fragrance.

Invictus Aqua by Paco Rabanne

I wish I had more hands, so I could give this fragrance four thumbs down.

This has to be the worst frag I have smelled since sampling and collecting over the last few years. It is an insanely synthetic chemical sharp pungent mess. I've smelled this on a passing stranger before and thought 'what in the hell?' I thought it was The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner with perfumers alcohol at the time. Then it had to be a month later, I ordered a sample and when this came I had to laugh a little. Somehow there's a small cult following of this release and trying to understand the justification for it is completely mystifying.

Smelling this, I can picture a 22-year-old trying way too hard with his man-bun and invictus aqua ready to conquer the loudest overpriced club in the suburbs.

An absolute 0/10.
11th October, 2018

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

Citrus, woody, dirty, yet fun.

The bright and fun loving younger brother of its original counterpart. It's cleaner and orangey-er and in my opinion designed to be worn in a more carefree environment like a day outside with people you respect. Save the original for lawyers and my father, this suits a man in his 30's who also saves *a lot* for his retirement. Excellent release.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Clean, barbershop, woody, mature.

A great scent that has clearly earned its place. Not exactly a playful or youthful scent meant to be worn by a younger man or anyone who is tallying complements, but a mature man to be taken seriously. I will be purchasing a bottle when I turn 40.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Green, soapy, fresh, clean, fun.

Awesome sauce. A very fine rendition of what many consider to be the traditional eau de cologne- but playful, versatile, modern and very appealing to everyone around you. May have to reapply every few hours but it is truly confidence and freshness in a bottle! An absolute must have. 9.5/10

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

95% Silver Mountain Water and 5% a dirtier, earthier edge and a little bit of natural woods. Doesn't smell as over-clean and uber-polished like SMW does so it gains versatility and for that reason I prefer it. Great performance and 1/8 the price doesn't hurt either... awesome release.
12th May, 2018

Osaïto by Micallef

Wanted to like it, based on other recent reviews. Reported as a niche quality aquatic and has a killer looking bottle to boot. Unfortunately the strong up-front rubbery sour floral note is all I can smell and it was by far enough to turn me off to this one.

Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari

Citrus, green, herbal, woody.

Starts off with a very attractive citrus accord that dies fast. The woods remain in the background of this scent for the entire time, which unfortunately only lasts a few short hours. The green and herbal parts to me combine to remind me of something familiar. It's like a green-olivey note that reminds me of TF Costa Azzura. It's not bad but slightly odd. At least it blends in well with the rest.

The main players in this scent smell extremely natural and inoffensive to me. And although it seems to me it is a somewhat generic scent but at the same time actually unique. That combination makes it signature scent worthy to me. I wish it lasted a bit longer though...

Voyage by Nautica

I can't remember the last time I was this repulsed by a fragrance. Smells like a fruit bowl that's been left outside for a week in June. Some rain has filled it to the top and it's had a chance to thoroughly rot. Extremely cheap and extremely synthetic. The fact that there are so many far superior cheap frags out there blows my mind that this even sells.

Antaeus by Chanel

We get it man, you're wearing cologne.

Sure its a high quality , but there's no way anyone under the age of 60 should be wearing this. Every frag has it's 'time' and place, but the small window this one fits just doesn't jive.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Fresh and young.

The scent itself is edible. I'm not even going to bother trying to breakdown the different notes or whatever as it all blends beautifully into this linear wear that last all of about an hour. Wore this often in Junior high and for good reason, it's the cleanest and most seductive scent a fifteen-year-old boy can wear.

Shouldn't be applied once you obtain a high school diploma though. I wish someone would somehow someway create a more mature rendition of this.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Fresh, Herbal, Clean, Woody.

Once again, that excellent Chanel quality is there making this inoffensive, extremely versatile, well blended, and easy to wear. It's a compliment machine too, if that's your thing. We've all smelled Fierce by A&F so picture this as a polished and more refined version. The former is probably meant for the ages 15-25. Throw another 20 onto that for Platinum Egoiste.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Warm, Earthy, Spicy.

Will forever be associated with fall colors and cooler weather later in the year, as it's been my casual signature scent for the past two fall seasons. Difficult too because I whitetail hunt that time of year and I really shouldn't be smelling like anything but it still gets the attention it deserves. The combination of cinnamon/nutmeg and that earthy undertone is really superb.

It's another one of those scents that smells knockout awesome but doesn't last more than an hour (Black Walnut, Millesime Imperial). Great thing its found cheap and easily though because you'll need about 12 sprays throughout the day.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Creamy, Orangey, Synthetic, Warm.

Definitely a pleasant and quality fragrance that is easy to like. Modern Chanel quality is there, to which I define as well blended, extremely versatile, and holds good performance.

Strangely enough I wear it on semi-formal occasions and when I go kayaking.

David Beckham Homme by Beckham

Woody, citrusy, a little spicy, and little dull.. If you're familiar with Terre d'Hermes then you'll find this to be a fresher, easier and less mineral-y version.

I think it's much harder to find a 5-star casual signature scent than it is to find a 5-star formal signature scent. Not saying this is 5-star worthy in my book, but its quite a pleasant easy and refreshing scent to wear on the daily, especially due to the $15 price tag. I'll give it a thumbs up for being easy and masculine I guess.

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

"My apartment smells of rich mahogany."

Can't really say what hasn't been said here already. But- I'll say it anyway. Yes this scent is damn gorgeous and no it doesn't last more than two hours. Throw 6-7 sprays on and your chances of any decent longevity will be better. Good thing it's found easily and cheap!

Reminds me of spending a weekend in a snowy downtown Chicago.
27th February, 2018