Reviews by kevinm

Psychédélique by Jovoy

First one by Jovoy I've tried, and what a winner! I'm not fond of Patchouli, but I'm not sure if it's that previous patchouli scents just weren't good, or if this one sublimates it enough that I love the whole thing. The opening smells just like 1969 by Histoires de Parfums, with vanilla, amber, and patchouli notes that smell like pure sunshine. Fabulous!
23rd December, 2020

Goldea by Bulgari

I'd never even liked Bvlgari frags till I tried this one and I love it-- I tried the body lotion first and fell in love with it. Somehow it smells better and stronger than the perfume itself. The floral/citrus notes remind me of a great EDC.
16th September, 2020

2018 Roxo Tonic by Les Bains Guerbois

This starts really well, with lovely notes of candied lemon, neroli, and vetiver-- very fresh and somewhat austere. The citrus notes fade fairly quickly though, leaving the ginger and vetiver to persist. If the citrus would hang around longer it could be truly great.

La Danza delle Libellule by Nobile 1942

I always smell a perfume "blind" in that I don't read the listed notes first, but go with what my nose tells me. What my nose gets is the biggest blast of Pineapple/Vanilla custard cake, right out of the oven. Just beyond belief! If you can't get the attention of others while wearing this, there's not much hope for you.

Oud Jaune Intense by Fragrance Du Bois

Minutes after trying this, I got a compliment from someone just walking past my bedroom! Very floral, and while they list Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Etc, my nose swears it smells Hyacinth and Violet flowers. My second fave of this house.

Oud Orange Intense by Fragrance Du Bois

Truly interesting that they don't claim an Orange note, as I smelled it and thought (at first) that it was fairly artificial-- after the first spray however, I didn't really smell the orange anymore. I do get a fantastic honey nutty cereal scent that reminds me of when I would have Grape Nuts with milk and sugar as a kid. So far, my fave from this house.

Mister Marvelous by Byredo

I got this as a free sample from an ebay seller-- thank god I didn't pay one red cent for this garbage. The single most foul, bug spray chemical scent I have ever encountered. Lasts forever, even after washing with soap and water, and later using a different frag to try and cover it up. This one frag has prevented me from even trying a different Byredo scent, as if they could produce this trash, how could anything else even be good.
10th May, 2020 (last edited: 09th May, 2020)

No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

I truly adore this scent! Just got a full bottle 2 weeks ago and I've already used one third of it...
Absolutely perfect combo of fresh floral, sweet powder, and soft citrus. Unisex in style, but I would say a bit femme for most men-- as a 50 y.o. male dandy, however, it's right up my alley! Superb!
17th April, 2020

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron

This is for the vintage version. This has to be one of the best frags ever made! A huge powdery, floral, spicy scent that envelopes and caresses you for hours.
I swear this has a huge honeydew melon note, even if it's not mentioned in the notes. Luca Turin was right, this is Fred Astaire in a bottle.
07th March, 2020

Fougère Gothique by Barrister and Mann

This is the only neutral rating I've ever given. Very strong with a beautiful amber note, but looking at the notes I think it's the mushroom note that I find off-putting. Worth a try.
19th February, 2020

Just Right for a Tuesday by Barrister and Mann

As usual, I don't get the listed notes-- what I do get is one of the most unique scents of all time. I get a huge blast of what smells like freshly cut grass- grass, and more grass. This is extremely fresh, like a perfect spring day. Barrister and Mann is making some truly fascinating frags today, and I plan on trying all I can find.
19th February, 2020

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

This is one of the frags that I bought, but didn't like enough to keep using-- I just dug it out of storage and I'm using it again. I mainly get a root beer/ sassafras note, which is pleasant enough- but worth it? Not sure.
17th February, 2020

L'Origan by Coty

This is for the vintage cologne spray... Very good, spicy orange floral scent-- light in presentation, but I use it several times a day. Reminds me of a light version of Karl Lagerfeld Classic. A real value for what I paid online.
31st December, 2019

Tamarindo by Memo

One of my faves by Memo.... Very fresh and natural smelling, with a brilliant citrus/floral note. I'll be keeping this stocked as samples.
29th December, 2019

Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her by Burberry

Almost smells pretty good at first, but gets really cheap really fast- ending up smelling like the hard candies grandma would leave in a dish till they all melted together..... becomes nauseating after 15 minutes. Strictly for eight year old girls.
16th December, 2019

Eau de Memo by Memo

I'm a big fan of this house and really love Eau de Memo. This is a beautiful airy aquatic citrus floral that fits into a traditional Eau de Cologne scent style- very vibrant and lush.
16th December, 2019

Sole di Positano by Tom Ford

So far my fave from Tom Ford. This perfectly balances a fresh citrus opening with a white floral background. Very complex and expensive smelling.
18th November, 2019

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

One of the very first scents I tried back in the 80s, I thought it truly wonderful-- any scent memory I have is 30 years old now, but the modern version does not smell like the vintage stuff ( I think much less rosemary?). The modern version smells good and citrus fresh, just not unique anymore.
07th October, 2019

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

A true classic! Every gentleman should have this scent. I really don't get leather or lemon, but I always thought this was a vanilla-sandalwood frag with spice notes. One of my faves.
07th October, 2019

Anonimo Veneziano by Nobile 1942

One of the best of the Nobile 1942 range-- floral and white musk is mostly what I get. Very similar to Lady Stetson, but much more expensive smelling. Very femme, more than I actually like to wear, being a 51 year old man, but I won't quibble with quality. Very good.
19th August, 2019

Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme

I'm not a big floral scent lover, mostly because most florals don't smell at all good- but I love a great representation of florals. This has the best jasmine note I've tried so far, and the backing of a almond paste note is genius. There is also a fantastic "fresh" note that comes out over time. I'm a 51 yo guy and I would wear this anytime. Very good.
17th August, 2019 (last edited: 07th September, 2019)

Balsamo della Mecca/ Mecca Balsam by La Via del Profumo

I absolutely love this stuff! I get a very strong smoky note that fades quickly-- followed by what smells like a superconcentrate of cinnamon and brown sugar dusted graham crackers. Lasts a long while. I love the small spray bottle I got, perfect to carry in my pocket and use every 15 minutes as I can't get enough of this.
01st July, 2019

Café Chantant by Nobile 1942

Another truly great scent by this house-- smells like a Starbucks in Heaven, with it's coffee and pastry vibe. I can't imagine anyone not liking this, and a full bottle is my very next purchase.
22nd June, 2019

Escale à Parati by Christian Dior

This is a very good Eau de Cologne type scent with some very good citrus followed by a unique (so far) note that smells slightly herbal. Just slightly on the light side for me- but a great summer scent that I'll be wearing a lot. For the first time, I really like the bottle- most are either boring or way over the top. Very cool!
04th June, 2019

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

This one is difficult to describe-- I do like it, but it gets lost with all the other frags that I love more.
This gets high marks for smelling natural and not "cheap" like most other aquatics. I actually get a lot of hay in this one, even though not listed. It's a very good beach scent, and I think it deserves more attention.
04th June, 2019

Fève Délicieuse by Christian Dior

I just love this one! It has a lot of similarities with Guerlain Habit Rouge Dress Code, but with less hazelnuts. Beautiful spicy gourmand notes envelop the wearer. A compliment getter for sure.
28th May, 2019

Belle de Jour by Christian Dior

Belle de Jour is one of my two faves in this line-- just exuberantly fresh floral/fruity with the best pear note of all time. This is one of my must haves, and another example of how the best frags aren't masculine or feminine, they just smell great.
28th May, 2019

Ilha do Mel by Memo

Why call this Island of Honey, when it's the most precise floral I've ever tried? I've never smelled a more perfect hyacinth scent in my life- just like putting a bouquet of flowers under my nose. Perfect.

Granada by Memo

Before checking this listing, I would have called Granada an old fashioned unisex eau de cologne type scent, with a restrained, classical structure. A perfect work scent that just smells good.

Marfa by Memo

I've tried nearly every scent by Memo, and this is the only one I truly hate. Marfa is a white floral so blindingly potent that it should fall under the Chemical Weapons Ban in the Geneva Conventions. Just smelling the applied area made my nose hairs curl. As far as what it's trying to smell like, an infinitely better version is Fior di Riso by Farmacia Annunziata dal 1561- a soft powdery white floral that smells truly wonderful. Avoid this one.