Reviews by Kitty2Shoes

JF by Floris

Nice herbal/citrus notes floating on a bed of mossy amber. I really love the pettigrain and very light juniper that eventually poke through after some time. JF is very light though and one of the few downsides is the longevity leaves much to be desired. I wish this had more of a 'punch' to it, it's quite a lovely scent.
17th April, 2020

The Fragrance Journals : 1976 by Floris

Thankfully a short lived patchouli and cheap incense based concept perfume with a few redeeming qualities. Opening is decent with a spicy citrus top and a slightly astringent juniper and vetiver note. However the peppery note ends up being the same peppery scent I get when opening up a box of old clothings, almost a musty scent that is somewhat unclean. I'll be the lone duck here turning up my nose at this one. I find it barely tolerable and smells like old attic clothes.
17th April, 2020

Bergamotto di Positano / Bergamotto Positano by Floris

Bitter tang of citrus and bergamot heavy in the opening. I had to work hard to smell the marine notes, even a second application didn't bring them much to the forefront. Settles into an odd green tea and vanilla mode for a long while. I agree that this is more of a light green tea and lightly spiced cookies scent than anything. It's not bad, but the name is so misleading (granted I've never been to the Mediterranean Sea, just the Bosphorus....but still).

I do like this one, very light and gingery after some time, more like an airy ambiance that I can fit into the 'tea' or 'tisane' category.
16th April, 2020

Elite by Floris

Hearty green and crisp perfume. Huge bouquet of vetiver and moss that lasts well past 9+ hours of wear. Heavy citrus opening and a good punch of juniper and fir balsam resin. One of the few green perfumes I rather enjoy!
16th April, 2020

Soulle Ámbar by Floris

Lovely and warm Mediterranean vibe. Excellent fruity opening, light touch of pineapple and citrus. I'm a fan of well done jasmine and geranium and the floral notes are very soft, almost velvety. Gorgeous amber and vanillin base, like a nice comfy shawl worn while sitting among a light breezy lunch. Very nice and would work well on men too!
15th April, 2020

Floris London + Turnbull & Asser 71/72 by Floris

Very much like a restrained and light barber shop perfume mixed with a few woody notes. Didn't last long on my skin and my husband said it smelled a bit 'off'. I do agree it has a faint CK One smell to it. Nothing special.
15th April, 2020

Amber Musk by Aerin

Really decent wearable amber musk perfume. I have to agree it's a very generic and simple perfume. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but nothing stellar either. Perfect all around if you are looking for a warmer and easy going perfume to wear around the office or a gift. Longevity on paper is decent but on skin is short lived.
01st March, 2020

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nice almost 'clean' fragrance. White lily and white musk remind me of room sprays and light candles. Excellent light wafting notes of incense. I agree that this is more of an ambience or concept perfume as I found it sunk into oblivion after using hand washing liquid or Purell, which drastically overpowered Passage d'Enfer.

22nd January, 2020

Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Absolutely lush and stunning perfume. While it doesn't smell like the real Bosphorus (thank goodness!) it does take from it various scents from the small villages and stops along the way.

Warm and cozy vanilla and musk with the nicest rose that reminds me of Turkish delight. Pistachio notes that remind you of Fıstıklı Sarma, in fact reminiscent of eating in Turkey rather than floating down the water. Lovely leather and waxy iris. Overall tops from me. I found myself hanging on to the paper strip with this perfume and constantly sniffing the intoxicating scent over and over. Full bottle worthy.
22nd January, 2020

Neroli Voyage by Floris

I absolutely adore the marine notes in this. This reminds me so much of classic spa massage oils and body lotions, and in a good way! Almost like the scent of pampering next to a zen stone waterfall in a big fluffy bathrobe awaiting your massage appointment while sipping on lemon ginger water. I'm reminded of Decléor's spa line in a way. Good memories of relaxing and pampering.

Honey Oud by Floris

Very nice and pleasant! I expected something dark and syrupy but instead was surprised with a nice light vanilla honey on a rose-musk, warm base. Clear cut bright honey notes in the opening and eventually it settles down to a very nice rose note that never gets soapy.

The longer I wore it the better the notes rounded out and the more I liked it. While it's definitely unisex, I can see myself wearing this more than my husband. Definitely a keeper!

Limes by Floris

Tart and dry lime perfume with a touch of lemon essence to round it out. Doesn't last too terribly long but would be quite refreshing on a very hot and muggy day. On my skin ended up smelling like washing up liquid near the end.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

Like I just mowed the lawn and managed to cut a few flowers and clover up by accident. Very green leaf aldehyde. Rose is very much in the background, like a distance scent you catch in the breeze. I find the rose and the green are at odds with one another, but they do have some moments where they are in harmony.

Jeux de Peau by Serge Lutens

Opening of licorice all sorts and freshly baked bread. Settles down almost buttered rum and golden syrup. Vanilla overtones and leans very patisserie in quality. It's an odd set of notes that all somehow manage to work out. The vanillin/amber base is very comforting and thankfully doesn't lean too sweet. Very nice winter weather scent.

Coeur de Noir by Beaufort London

Very nice - opening of ink and paper and settles down to leather and woods. Coeur de Noir takes its take to transform on your skin and each time that each time I took to smell it the notes has changed and transformed a bit. This is one to savor and enjoy it all day (and night). I agree with Alexander that this is a cooler weather scent, in the heat it gets a bit overwhelming.

1805 / Tonnerre by Beaufort London

Huge smokey opening, gun powder and birch tar. Massive silage, and by massive I mean you can smell this perfume down the hallway. This is a perfume that paints a picture, you can envision the smells surrounding a battle, the smoke, the gunpowder, the sea, the guts and the glory. I appreciate 1805, but I found it personally unwearable.

Love In White by Creed

Opening of bright orange followed by florals. Dries down to a nice powdery musk. I found the opening very nice and sad it didn't last as long. The florals were a bit disappointing only lasting a full hour before the musky vanilla base. Overall I did enjoy Love in White and feel if you had to blind buy for someone and wanted Creed, you can't really go wrong, every bit of this perfume was gorgeous from top to bottom, I just wish it lasted longer at this price point.

Imperial Tea by By Kilian

Incredibly true to form jasmine tea perfume. Two notes, spot on and not much more. While it may seem boring to some, I have enjoyed wearing this for the simplicity and realistic notes encompassed in this perfume. Longevity is at least 8+ hours, although it is more of a skin scent than anything, but one that I have found comforting. Maybe it's my body chemistry as others have noted it was short lived, but it was an all-day perfume for me. Definitely one I plan to seek out full bottle.

Iris Tubéreuse by Creed

I feel like having a best kept secret when wearing this. Light iris, almost waxy/fatty notes and dry floral tuberose. Just enough lily of the valley in the background to bring just enough bright floral into the mix. Just a tinge of aquatics, very nice.

Here's the best part - longevity is off the charts. Each time I wear this it seems to disappear from my radar and then I happen to move a bit and I catch another stream of the perfume, then it settles down. Repeat the process for 10+ hours. I loved that I enjoyed this perfume all day long and heading into the evening hours. I think wearing this in the winter and relying on my body heat to slowly release the perfume throughout the day was a bonus and confident it will perfume just as outstanding in the spring.
10th January, 2020

Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme

I had a rough start with Jasmins Marzipane as I seem to have some anosmia with the opening notes. However after about 30 minutes I was able to smell a lush, warm, sweet pastry almond note, I keep on thinking of small patisserie shops with the almond and vanilla note with the warmness of the musk and cashmere. Ambiance of afternoon tea with macaroons.

Silage is mediocre, but seems appropriate for the sweet notes, too much might clear a room.
08th January, 2020

De Profundis by Serge Lutens

Opens up strong and heavy on the light and almost pastel-ish florals eventually settling down to chrysanthemums and carnations. I had a family member that introduced me to chrysanthemum tea and it has certain notes that remind me of it. Little bit of fresh cut stem green notes and very much a scent of light blooms in spring. Very nice.
07th January, 2020

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Pedestrian citrus floral. I've tried Quercus on and off or a week, easy enough to do since it has no staying power and it's forgotten about 20 minutes after spraying. I get no lingering reminders that I have it on, no fleeting glimpses wafting up - nothing.

Although as unexciting as they come, Quercus has one redeeming factor - I doubt a single person would find anything contrary about it. Quercus is an incredibly safe perfume to buy someone as a gift especially if you don't know what they like and they aren't sure or afraid to wear perfume. Incredibly light and incredibly forgettable.
06th January, 2020

East India / Vi Et Armis by Beaufort London

Amazing smoke, peaty, tobacco notes - the inside of whiskey barrels that have just been charred, the various smoke from woods used to cure fish, notes of Lapsang souchong and cigar tobacco. Reminds me of Laphroaig or Talisker.

This is so different and masterfully captures it all. Subsides and smooths out after a bit of wear, but so intense and strong.
05th January, 2020

Portraits : The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon's

Promising opening of brandy and I get a lot of soft leather, however it doesn't last and it's Barbasol shaving cream, and lots of it. Base is decent with amber and Tonka and slight wooden note. Smells better on skin than on paper. It has redeeming qualities but not for this price point.
02nd January, 2020

Halfeti by Penhaligon's

My trouble with Halfeti is I just don't like it. Extremely spicy woods with leather and oud all wrapped up with a few florals thrown in. I've tried countless times to find some redeeming quality about Halfeti and I just can't. It made my eyes water and dries down to a lingering cigarette ash note like the bitter end of the party. I've given Halfeti the benefit of the doubt and worn it several times more than I should have to find the silver lining in this cluster of notes, but sadly there was none to begin with.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Reminds me of my high school auto mechanics class and leather jackets. Took a long while my nose to detect the florals, but eventually they peeked out. So different and so out of the box for me. Doesn't work for me to wear personally but I love this scent on others.

Explorer by Montblanc

Herbal and spicy opening that develops into a sharp green note. Over time the woods develop (and no wonder with all that Ambrofix!). The appeal is that Explorer develops into a fine fragrance but not until 2+ hours later, it's too astringent and herbal in the beginning but matures into a well done perfume. I can understand why people call this the department store Aventus, but it's a close but no cigar. More like a good mix of Aventus and Eau Sauvage.

Legend by Montblanc

Lightly floral and crisp, I get a little hint of Irish Spring soap or Ivory soap in there, or as my husband says 'you know, those manly soaps and shower gels'. Very clean and very inoffensive. Rose and lavender hang in the background but pop up from time to time.

I find nothing wrong with it, but nothing spectacular either. Good blind buy choice for a gift.

Cloud by Ariana Grande

Honestly I was shocked how much I loved this perfume. I've never tested BR540 so I cannot comment there.

Lush vanilla pastry and diner style coconut cream pie. Easy pear top notes and suede musky base. Extreme longevity and moderate silage. Very sweet and gourmand without going too far over the syrupy edge - just the right level. For this price point it's worth seeking it out.

Portraits : The Coveted Duchess Rose by Penhaligon's

Something in this rose perfume set off my anosmia when I first applied. I kept on applying more and more not realizing I was setting off a rose bomb on my person. I was a room clearing walking rose smelling torment to my family for a few hours after applying. Coveted Duchess Rose gets a huge thumbs up for silage and longevity but it ends there.

Eventually this panned out to be a loud generic rose and I'd recommend Yardley's English Rose if you desire the best bang for your buck (and better smelling too). Extremely disappointing for the price point.
31st December, 2019