Reviews by Man Of The World

Versace l'Homme by Versace

Excellent classic which still packs a punch today.

Definitely not of this era. Spicy citrus with barbershop & anamalic undertones. Excellent value for money

26th December, 2020

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

I love Oajan so there was a fair chance that I would love this one too. And I do.

Beautifully constructed. Apple pie, cinnamon and tobacco.

A little quiet on my skin which is why I prefer Oajan.

8.5/10
15th December, 2020

Pegwell Bay / GPS 21 ’30”E by Haeckels

Absolutely wonderful fragrance from the house of Haeckels.

I would describe Pegwell Bay as a herbal citrus.There are many reminders of both Aventus & Cedrat Boise but with a slight medicinal/herbal edge. There is a strong fennel note running though this one which separates it from other fragrances in this genre. The overall composition is fresh and natural. The longevity and silage for a fragrance in this genre are truly outstanding.

Well done Haeckels!!!

25th November, 2020

Emporio Armani Stronger With You Freeze by Giorgio Armani

Strong, sweet and pleasant. Nothing ground breaking but a decent offering nevertheless.
05th November, 2020

Pasha Parfum by Cartier

WOW! This stuff is superb.

I had heard some great things about the latest Cartier release. I wasn't let down.

The first thing to say is that if you are expecting a parfum version of the original then move on. This is a completely different fragrance.

Pasha Parfum is an Oriental. It's spicy, sweet, slightly boozy with a woody base. It's slightly classic but with a modern edge. This one definitely makes a statement. It will turn heads for sure. It will be well received by others whilst remaining unique. There is a slight resemblance to Penhaligons Halfeti. It's not overly obvious in the opening but will become more apparent in the mid and dry down. Silage is just above average while longevity is out of this world. 12+ hours on skin and days on clothes. Smells both expensive and just a bit special.

20th October, 2020 (last edited: 02nd November, 2020)

Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Strong, spicy cinnamon. Smells synthetic. Nothing special. Bang average!
24th August, 2020

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Sugary bubblegum sweetness. I can see the appeal and if I was 21 again I would most probably wear it. They say females like this one and can understand why. Being the wrong side of 40 it will be a pass from me.
10th August, 2020

1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne

Nice for a younger guy. A bit sickly sweet. Strong sugary vanilla/almond note. Close to Eros.
08th August, 2020

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

Classy smelling fragrance ruined by terrible performance. This could have been great!
25th July, 2020

United Arab Emirates by Roja Dove

Credit where credit is due. This is exceptionally well put together. You would expect nothing less from Roja. It's personally not for me. I find it a bit too much and a tad too funky. The rose here is great. Very natural. I'm surprised that some say they get no oud? I get a fair bit of it. Very floral, very oudy and very rosey.

Very good but not for me.
04th March, 2020

Héritage Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Amazing,just like the edt. Maybe more heady with an incense note. Nothing much more to add. Perfection!!!
02nd March, 2020 (last edited: 12th July, 2020)

Oud Maraam by Al Aneeq

I used to own this one but ended up giving it away.

This one's a strange beast. Best way to describe is a fruity leather. It's sooooooo strong. I mean beyond strong. My wife hated it. Just a bit much for me.
25th February, 2020

Oudh Jamal by Al Aneeq

Not my thing but if you enjoy Black Orchid by Tom Ford then this could be right up your street. Smells almost identical. Super strong and extremely sweet.
25th February, 2020

X for Men by Clive Christian

A nice traditional masculine fragrance with hints of cinnamon & pepper. Overall really nice. The problem I have is that at this price point the likes of Roja & Xerjoff have blown me away while this doesn't. It's a thumbs up but nothing amazing or groundbreaking. Longevity is fair while projection is on the low side.

6.5/10
01st February, 2020

Enigma pour Homme Cologne by Roja Dove

I was already rather fond of the EDP so there was no doubting that I was going to enjoy this one. The usual cola, dirty vanilla & cognac are all here. It's the opening that offers the main difference. The initial citrus blast lasts longer.

Here's the problem....longevity on my skin is really poor. Others are saying they get up to 10 hours?? I'm jealous. I can detect the fragrance for around an hour with soft projection and then maybe another hour as a skin scent. After that it's more or less gone.

30th January, 2020 (last edited: 31st January, 2020)

Rehab by Initio

So I've heard a fair bit of hype around this one and I must admit....I'm impressed. Much like HdP 1899 the connections to Spicebomb are justified but of course this one is on an upper tier. I actually get a slight Spicebomb Extreme vibe as well. Longevity is fantastic, while sillage and projection are both good. I do get touches of lavender with this one which I don't get with SB. Drys down to a sweet, woody tobacco. Very nice but not something I want or need in my personal collection.
23rd January, 2020

Polo by Ralph Lauren

One of the most iconic masculine fragrances ever created. An absolute joy to wear and one of the ultimate statement makers.

With Polo it's all about the pine. I think this is my favorite pine note ever. I also pick up on a fresh mint note. There is some dirty tobacco and spices with a touch of patchouli.

I remember the original juice from years back. I tried again around 2014 and it was pretty poor but surprisingly the most recent batches smell great. Doesn't quite hit the hights of the 80's & 90's but still very good and light years ahead much of the designer trash that is currently out there today.

Superb!!

21st December, 2019 (last edited: 02nd January, 2020)

Feu de Bengale by J. Lesquendieu

Fancy vanilla with tonka and floral's. The rose and iris are both evident. Vanilla lovers will enjoy this one but not properly my style. Quite feminine.
14th December, 2019

Remember Me by Jovoy

Creamy Delight!!

The best way to describe Remember Me would be a creamy/milky vanilla rice pudding with a sprinkle of cardamom and iris. Iris isn't listed but it's definitely here. Add a splash of DHI and the job is complete. It's very hard to create a true milky vibe but Jovoy does a great job.

Very nice but not quite my style.

12th December, 2019

Pavillon Rouge by Jovoy

Jovoy's take on boozy tobacco. It's not bad but not great. Lacks the signature Jovoy power. I get whisky, tobacco and vanilla in the dry down. A bit tame and nothing remarkable.

11th December, 2019

Fakhrul Oudh by Al Aneeq

There really is something about this fragrance that hits the spot for me. I think It's outstanding and one of the best synthetic oud style fragrances I have ever encountered.

Fakhrul Oudh is mainly centered around vanilla. It's not your typical vanilla. It's definitely sweet but also very smokey. It has that Middle Eastern vibe for sure. There is some synthetic oud and frankincense alongside a lovely saffron note. The overall composition has a velvet texture to it. Easily likable and easy to wear whilst still being a tad complex and not overly mainstream smelling. A number of people have asked me what I am wearing as it does stand out. Longevity, sillage and projection are all above average. Lasts for ages on clothes. The price point is the icing on the cake. £30 for 100ml is insane. Would easily beat many fragrances at 4 times this price point.

Top marks from me!!
10th December, 2019 (last edited: 04th March, 2020)

Armani Eau pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A masterfully constructed fragrance that smells divine. In many ways it does remind me of Bois Du Portugal. The problem is that it is let down by awful longevity and projection. The stuff is like tap water. Such a shame that something this good should disappear within 60 minutes.
07th December, 2019

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Sorry.....But no!! Just no!!

To me there is a limit to how animalistic or real I will go. I love to experiment and think I have a broad mind when it comes to perfumery. This is a bridge too far for me. I read another review where someone said this smells like moist panties. It does. It basically smells like ladies bits.

Not for me!! Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!
04th December, 2019

L'Art de la Guerre by Jovoy

Beautiful apple & rhubarb fragrance from one of my favorite houses. There is also a dash of lavender & nutmeg. Unlike most Jovoy fragrances this one does wear a tad light. Not my style but very nice.

02nd December, 2019

Fetish pour Homme by Roja Dove

Alongside Danger, Fetish is probably my favorite Roja. This one is a statement maker for sure. You need to own this one rather than let it own you otherwise you could be in big trouble. There is a resemblance to HdP 1740 and to a lesser degree Interlude. They are not identical but they surely give off the same vibe and do share some of the same notes. Spice, leather, pickled lime, dirty vanilla, booze. It's all here. Could intimidate the weak.

Only for the brave of heart but really something special.

27th November, 2019 (last edited: 02nd April, 2020)

Danger pour Homme by Roja Dove

WOW!! This is superb.

As a big fan of Heritage there was always a good chance that I was was going to like this. Well I was wrong.....I don't like it I love it!! I could go into much detail about the scent but all you need to know is that it is Heritage but modernized and more refined. I accept that Heritage offers much better value for money but putting price aside Danger Pour Homme is the better fragrance.

Awesome for formal and upscale events.

27th November, 2019 (last edited: 02nd December, 2019)

Reckless pour Homme by Roja Dove

Reckless Pour Homme smells rather nice. Initially we have a nice citrus blast which does hang around for the duration but slips into the background after the first 20 minutes. What you are then left with is a classic masculine fragrance of warm creamy woods, cinnamon and the underlying citrus notes. Very nice and all but doesn't really last on my skin and tragically overpriced.
27th November, 2019

17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

WOW! This is special.

The comparisons to Coromandel are justified. They do head in slightly different directions but the heart of the fragrances are just different branches of the same tree. Coromandel has that white chocolate vibe while Richwood supplements that for rose. I actually love both. The sandalwood is amazing in Richwood. Sooooo creamy. There is also a sublime vanilla note in the base. The patchouli in the opening could put a few people off but I personally love it. Anyway...The patch does settle down after 30 minutes or so. Longevity, projection & sillage are all amazing.

There are often threads on Basenotes with regards to what smells expensive? what smells classy? What's best for formal occasions? Richwood is all of that....And then some more. Weather anyone around you likes the fragrance or not they will be aware that you are wearing something very special. It just gives off that aura.

Now onto price!! Is it worth the money?? Probably not! But then again is any fragrance worth that price point? No way!! But do not let that cloud your judgement of this fragrance. It may be overpriced but that doesn't stop it from still being great.

Personally I have gone down the decant road. I have bought 20ml which should last me a good old while. It's something that I wouldn't really want to be without. One of the greatest perfumery concoctions I have had the pleasure of applying to my skin.

21st November, 2019

Collection 34 : 34 Boulevard Saint Germain Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

So I had heard a lot of great things about this one. Not for me. It reminds me far too much of Tom Ford Black Orchid which is a fragrance I detest. This one is not as over the top and is better for sure but just not my bag. Sorry!!
18th November, 2019

Méharées by L'Erbolario

Yes.....This is very good. Very good indeed!!

Musc Ravageur is one of my all time favorite fragrances. Meharees does indeed smell like the drydown of MR. It's probably MR at its 2/3 hour mark. There's amber, vanilla, light musk and even though its not listed I definitely get a clove/aniseed note. Really comforting and a fantastic alternative if you would prefer to save MR for those more special occasions.

24th October, 2019