Reviews by Constantine

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

I am struggling here in view of all the great reviews. Basically this is similar to Hugo Boss unlimited so its a freshy on the upper end of the spectrum of mediocrity veering towards the generic less aquatic than HBU and here we have more depth and masculinity so teeters into thumbs up. Could even be a crowd pleaser but you'd feel guilty with the compliments because you know this is the lazy choice. There is just much better out there and its not cheap.
16th February, 2021

Boss Bottled Unlimited by Hugo Boss

Slightly cheap smelling inoffensive generic aquatic freshy on the upper end of the spectrum of mediocrity which is why it gets a neutral instead of a thumbs down.
16th February, 2021

Gravitas pour Homme by Naughton & Wilson

If you want a detailed review please refer below to the excellent Way Off Scenter.
Gravitas is awful. Smells cheap and verging on the offensive. It opens green and sour becoming slightly more woody in the dry down.
Utterly shameful. I can only assume that the positive reviews are shall we say.... mercenary or not wanting to admit their enthusiastic FB purchase is a mistake. Rather like the global narrative of lock-down where over 20 studies show it makes no difference apart from causing imeasurable harm to economy , society and personal health. Will the governments admit they got it wrong? Or will they make vaccine passports law to be renewed yearly for a common cold virus that the CDC says has a mortality less than influenza. Let's do what social media says then.
12th February, 2021

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Treacle laced with tea. Not an awful smell per se but not what I want to smell of. Never the less true to its notes so neutral instead of thumbs down. Projects and lasts if this is your thing....
06th February, 2021

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's smells exactly like undercooked dough. Linear apart from the fresh opening which is marred by the dough smell. Projection and longevity is poor. If that is what you want to smell of then this is would be stellar if it performed. I don't.
06th February, 2021

Coromandel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Inoffensive slightly cloying feminine fragrance jasmine rose and white chocolate. Lasts for ages.
04th February, 2021

Eccelso by Profumum

Mild slightly smoky sandal wood paradoxed with a hint of freshness. But you have to work at discerning much character at all in this. It's ok, inoffensive but that's not the point of fragrance is it? Especially not at the price!
04th February, 2021

Bois Mystique by Houbigant

If you like incense then look no further for this is one of the most wearable ones I have come across. Nevertheless from the note pyramid I was hoping for incense playing a supporting role, adding depth rather than everything else dancing around it keeping it in check.

Fragrance: 7/10
03rd February, 2021

Etruscan Water by Francesca Bianchi

As a male writing this Etruscan water is way too feminine and sweet and cloying. Almost a scrubber, in fact it would have been if I was not so busy. I see one of the other reviewers struggled with it initially with fleeting urges to scrub it until finally 'from smelling from further away' seeing it as beautiful and rich. I think it was heavy on the Immortelle, jasmine and musk.
Phew!
03rd February, 2021

Cologne Intense by Houbigant

Oh dear. Houbigant enjoy placing our emotions on a roller coaster ride of highs and lows. I looooove the opening. A warm cologne smell thus perfectly living up to the name cologne intense. Easily FBW. However I had learnt my lesson from Fougere Royal and did not start looking on-line for deals. Instead I waited , unfortunately not for very long. Seems to be the Houbigant trade mark of becoming a skin scent after 30 minutes.Useless.
28th January, 2021

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

This smells exactly like one of the Montale and Loewe incense based fragrances. Nothing original or special here and easy to see why it was discontinued. It also lasts for hours and kept annoying me throughout the day. Nothing Sahara or Noir about it.
27th January, 2021

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

The opening is gorgeous. This is 'the one' you think. Fresh green citrusy fougere. Uplifting but not too loud. You start looking on-line for a deal. Then .... Poof!... It's gone after half an hour. Just some residual powdery wood and pepper. Then nothing. What a let down.
26th January, 2021

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

For me this is on the edge of greatness and just because of that has a chef's table view of the real master in this category: Roja Dove Danger Parfum Cologne. They open pretty much identical cocooning you immediately in a sense of pecuniary relief at the 6 x price differential. Guerlain has saved the day you think. But after half an hour the master just takes it away. Heritage Edt becomes increasingly sweet and powdery almost powder puff and sent wafts up from my chest straight into my mask and started annoying me. Heart break.
The Roja remains sharp and masculine and lasts a lot longer as well. My only issue with it is that there are better smelling fragrances if you want the lighter type namely Mfk Masculin Pluriel and the Parfum version just requires a gentle dab to release one of the greatest fragrances of all time. Warm, masculine, subtle, monumental. Worth the enormous price tag? I do and did.

Fragrance: 6.75/10
11th December, 2020

Perfect Oud by Mizensir

A surprise and honour to be the first one reviewing this here. This is a gentle clean crystalline Oud on a base of subtle cedar and the barest hint of rose. A masculine masterpiece. Linear and lasts 2-3 hours and skin scent after that for another couple of hours.
FBW and I did. The second FB in addition to Celebes Wood.
If you want something almost identical but with a much heavier Rose that ended up being off putting to me then the more expensiven newly released Golden Oud is the choice. However that is made completely redundant by MFK Satin Oud Mood Extrait (not the EDP) which is effortlessly better smoother and longer lasting. That is talking from a guys perspective. I can see Golden Oud being an interesting choice for a lady. Just.

Fragrance: 7.75/10
26th November, 2020

Celebes Wood by Mizensir

This was recommended to me by an ebay seller who sold me Masculine Pluriel by MFK. She told me this was her favourite of the moment and since she did not have one to sell me this added a certain verisimilitude so that I went to the Mizensir Web site and bought a sample. They sent me 3 others with it.
Perfect Oud and Golden Oud are as crystalline clean as you can imagine Oud to be, the latter with a slight smokiness and a rose accord. The former is very good and left a very pleasant aura round me which I found my nostrils flaring to pick up more of during the next few hours. Crystalline oud and cedar with a touch or rose. The latter is a superb slightly warmer weather fragrance which lasts and lasts.
Bois de Mysorie is a very pleasant sherbert orange woodie freshie. Slightly tangy and powdery, you want to smell it from a few inches away not with nose buried against your arm. A bit too peppery for me ultimately and does not last that long.
Now to the main feature.
Instant FBW.
If you have ever smelt Creed Spice and Wood and liked it or wanted to like it but found it a bit too strong and full of its own importance, then this is your new signature fragrance.
This is a light fresh woody spicy fragrance but that does not mean to say it is not warm either.Its really difficult to pick out individual notes .Maybe its the vanilla and tonka and cardamon casting a playful ephemeral veil over the labdanum and presenting it to us for our olfactory delight . So if light spicy woody masculine smooth is what you want to achieve and be able to wear practically anywhere anytime this is it. If you ready my other reviews you will see I do not hesitate to castigate where I think it is required.
I can't understand some of the few reviews I have read which describe this as heavy. That is not true.
Thank you Miss ebay seller my olfactory heart is yours. For the moment. After all life is fickle.
Btw Perfect Oud and Golden Oud are also FBW and I did.

Fragrance: 9/10
Longevity: 7/10
19th November, 2020 (last edited: 01st December, 2020)

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Phew!
This is not unisex by any stretch of the imagination.
Very sugary sweet powdery vanilla, tonca, amber, labdanum. Smells ok actually but this should be re labelled for ladies to prevent people like me wasting money on samples.

Fragrance: 5/10 for men, 7/10 for ladies.
16th November, 2020

APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

phew.

Sugared orange blossom. Quite off putting. I cannot imagine any functional male wearing this and since its not a particularly nice smell then no lady either. Scrubber.

Fragrance: 5/10
16th November, 2020

Gentle Fluidity (Silver Edition) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Very nice masculine sweet light fragrance which a lady can also carry off.
Juniper berry with musk touch of wood and nutmeg with a metallic vibe joining in.
More of a casual or date night scent or indeed it these times where common sense has suffered its own reformulations and dilutions 'working from home' scent.
I like it: FBW.
To give you an idea my soft sweet fragrance of choice up to how has been Miller Harris Lost In The City which I tried to love because my wife loved it. Now I am selling that and buying this. Will my wife love it? If a man speaks in a forest and no woman hears him is he still wrong?

12th November, 2020

Darley by Parfums de Marly

More wearable version of Amouage Reflection Man. Both are powdery and floral, the latter is sweeter and heavier on the floral and smells like the inside of an old lady's handbag. The former ruins it by being powdery. There is some degree of redemption here but for me it needs to be smoother.
Projects well, lasts several hours.

Scent: 6.75/10
06th November, 2020

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Pleasant and fresh but nothing special considering the price. In fact close up something jars which seems to be a sour citrus mix. So I would not buy it. Would I wear it if someone gave me a bottle? Only if I ran out of Milesime Imperial!

Fragrance: 7/10
Projection: 7.5
Longevity: 7.75
30th October, 2020

Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

Fresh clean green cologne-like. Fairly linear. Very nice indeed. I was going to buy a bottle until I took my jacket off and up wafted Roja Dove Parfum Danger Homme. The 500 euro version. Totally outclassed the VdB and to seal its fate it's not particularly long lasting either.
Shame. Close one. Very nice.
11th October, 2020

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Masculine and subtle.
Starts of fresh spicy unique, tea flower and wood with a hint of sweetness and settles down to a more subtle wearable version of the already excellent Michaelef Gaiac Wood lasting for hours with subtle but noticeable projection.
How many times have I used the word 'subtle' ? That is all true power and taste needs in order to be outstanding.
Anytime anywhere signature fragrance.
FBW and I did.

24th September, 2020

Idole Eau de Parfum by Lubin

Nice enough but to quote from Dervant:

'Idole Edp is finally a less complex and more syrupy superfluous variation of the original Idole Edt'

Thats correct. This reminds me slightly of the outstanding Amouage Journey Man and Miller Harris Etui Noir. At least it begins to but fails to develop into any interest or depth.
At best you can use this as a safe work fragrance if you are keen to wear this spicy incense tobacco vibe to work.
Move along.
19th September, 2020

Lost by Miller Harris

My wife loves this on me so you know where this is going already.
Rhubarb rose petals blackcurrant amber fairly linear after the bergamot blast at the beginning. Great longevity. I can sense it wafting up to me for hours.
The tartness of the rhubarb just about pulls it from feminine to unisex and for me this is a very nice contrast to my politically incorrect masculine fragrances, a warm weather one to relax with and did I mention my wife loves it?
This could be my 3rd FBW from Miller Harris the other two being Feuilles de Tabac and Etui Noir.

Incidentally the ultra feminine version of this which has the BEST photorealistic florals is Tender.
10th September, 2020

1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums

Lovely fresh cool and clean masculine fragrance.
Eucalyptus, grapefruit, pepper, vetiver and cloves with the first three prominent and tangerine waving its hand occasionally.
The initial fresh blast settles to clean and cool slightly peppery.
Outstanding. Different enough to be a signature scent.
This can be used on almost any occasion but for me will be my warm weather scent.
FBW and I just did. I am glad. HdP have had several near misses for me. eg Fidelis and Memoires of a Trespasser.

Tender by Miller Harris

Firstly this is not unisex.
It is the most beautiful photorealistic floral you can possibly imagine.
Linear and lasts.
The only reason a guy may wear this is because it smells so good you will get all the ladies swooning and asking you what you are wearing.

Gaïac by Martine Micallef

Staggeringly good masculine subtle woody fragrance.
It is exactly what it says. Gaiac wood gentle clean but with some depth (as opposed to the Tom Ford version) of vetiver and a hint of vanilla and cloves. Linear and lasts.
Signature and FBW.

Fragrance: 8.5/10

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Second staggeringly good Miller Harris I have tried.
Think green fresh tobacco leaf. Subtle, masculine rather than unisex and stays fairly linear. Tobacco, touch of amber and pine and tonka.
Why would people criticise this for not being stronger or the fragrance they wanted it to be?
It is a superb wearable subtle masculine fragrance suitable for almost any occasion.
Bought 100ml bottle. Enough said.

Fragrance: 8.25/10
20th August, 2020

Étui Noir by Miller Harris

I agree with Suspended's review.
This is staggeringly good.
Leather, incense, vetiver all finely blended producing a relatively subtle yet good projection and longevity aroma gradually becoming more smoky and woody over time.
This is the best leather incense fragrance I have tried bearing in mind I like something that is wearable and takes on the character of the wearer rather than owns the wearer. Leans masculine.

Fragrance: 8.5/10
18th August, 2020

Century by Dunhill

Grapefruit cardamom musk sandalwood are the notes I get with the usual fresh opening and settling down after the citrus burns off to linear for the next few hours. Actually very nice. Generic with a twist this could he a budget signature scent. I was really surprised by this one!

Fragrance: 7.25/10