Reviews by Constantine

Acqua di Giò Absolu Instinct by Giorgio Armani

Simply put this is an aquatic freshy toned down with a bit of spice from patchouli and wood.
One spray on my chest lasted for hours. Amazing. More like an extrait.
Smells better on my chest than on the back of my hand.
Wife went nuts over it. She likes my New York Intense, loves my Bois Belize Intense, really likes my B683 EdP and Extrait, blows hot and cold about the daddy (my French Lover) but swoons over this pipsqueak!
I like it as well its my new hot weather freshy if only Fine Accoutrements made a high quality EdP version of their Fine Fresh Vetiver.
So Instinct smells great, projects and lasts. Good value all things considered. Armani just made me go FBW. And I did!
14th September, 2021

L'Étoile Noire by Olibere Parfums

On me this comes across as fresh and spicy initially which quickly settles to a cedar rose Tonka tobacco vanilla marvel. Wears close to the skin. Refined classy exceptional taste. It will get compliments but only from those who get close to you.
15th June, 2021

Ganymede by Marc-Antoine Barrois

This starts off delightfully fresh and spicy but starts smelling more and more strongly of moth balls. So I can indeed imagine a grey fluffy moth fluttering romantically up silhouetted momentarily against the moon but it becomes increasingly irritating. Almost a scrubber.
Full disclosure: I persisted and this has grown on me. Dry down is exceptional a lovely violet and wood and as long as you don't have your nose pressed against the spray point on your skin the air around you is suffused with a compliment getting spicy freshness which is not citrus or mint based.
This is very versatile and is am excellent catch all except for evenings. I bought a bottle!
27th May, 2021 (last edited: 03rd June, 2021)

Bois Bélize Intense by Nicolaï

It is indeed an honor to be the first to review this masculine fragrance. Before I bought it a review summed it up nicely : if New York is the city gentleman then Bois Belize Intense is the country gentleman. This spectularly good. This is masculine in touch with nature. It is like an impressionist painting. Stand too close and it's nowhere near as appealing. However let it weave a pattern round with your body chemistry and this will get you plenty of compliments especially from the ladies. This is a gentleman dressed casually or at the weekend . It's gentle power, clear vision taste yet restraint. I have not smelt anything like it.
It starts off green and fresh and spicy and settles down fairly linear just losing some of the fiz. You can make out rose vetiver oakmoss and the closer you get patchouli and musk which give it backbone.
Easily FBW.
26th May, 2021

Garrigue by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

If you want the best Green Irish Tweed type of smell this is it. More wearable subtle and high quality and Kong lasting.
26th May, 2021

H24 by Hermès

Grotesque by people who should know better.
Hermes are capable of far better fragrances.
This is a scrubber.
Strong, synthetic, sweet and green. Sickly.
No redeeming quality whatsoever. Here strong projection and longevity count against it. You don't want to inflict this on others. If its a guilty fetish best keep it quiet.

Fragrance: 2/10
07th April, 2021

Moon of Baroda by Thameen

Mediocre unisex verging feminine, comparing it to Memoire Man could possibly only be relevant as a toned down version by a factor of 10. This is stale citrus Musky with a touch of sandalwood. Uninspiring may not be too bad on a lady.
28th February, 2021

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

I am struggling here in view of all the great reviews. Basically this is similar to Hugo Boss unlimited so its a freshy on the upper end of the spectrum of mediocrity veering towards the generic less aquatic than HBU and here we have more depth and masculinity so teeters into thumbs up. Could even be a crowd pleaser but you'd feel guilty with the compliments because you know this is the lazy choice. There is just much better out there and its not cheap.
16th February, 2021

Boss Bottled Unlimited by Hugo Boss

Slightly cheap smelling inoffensive generic aquatic freshy on the upper end of the spectrum of mediocrity which is why it gets a neutral instead of a thumbs down.
16th February, 2021

Gravitas pour Homme by Naughton & Wilson

If you want a detailed review please refer below to the excellent Way Off Scenter.
Gravitas is awful. Smells cheap and verging on the offensive. It opens green and sour becoming slightly more woody in the dry down.
Utterly shameful. I can only assume that the positive reviews are shall we say.... mercenary or not wanting to admit their enthusiastic FB purchase is a mistake. Rather like the global narrative of lock-down where over 20 studies show it makes no difference apart from causing imeasurable harm to economy , society and personal health. Will the governments admit they got it wrong? Or will they make vaccine passports law to be renewed yearly for a common cold virus that the CDC says has a mortality less than influenza. Let's do what social media says then.
12th February, 2021

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Treacle laced with tea. Not an awful smell per se but not what I want to smell of. Never the less true to its notes so neutral instead of thumbs down. Projects and lasts if this is your thing....
06th February, 2021

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's smells exactly like undercooked dough. Linear apart from the fresh opening which is marred by the dough smell. Projection and longevity is poor. If that is what you want to smell of then this is would be stellar if it performed. I don't.
06th February, 2021

Coromandel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Inoffensive slightly cloying feminine fragrance jasmine rose and white chocolate. Lasts for ages.
Addendum: maybe my palate has changed but I came across my old sample and I liked it quite alot. Reminded me of a nicer version of Frederick Malle Portrait of a Lady.
I could almost wear this myself but it is feminine and my wife loves it on her.
04th February, 2021 (last edited: 26th May, 2021)

Eccelso by Profumum

Mild slightly smoky sandal wood paradoxed with a hint of freshness. But you have to work at discerning much character at all in this. It's ok, inoffensive but that's not the point of fragrance is it? Especially not at the price!
04th February, 2021

Bois Mystique by Houbigant

If you like incense then look no further for this is one of the most wearable ones I have come across. Nevertheless from the note pyramid I was hoping for incense playing a supporting role, adding depth rather than everything else dancing around it keeping it in check.

Fragrance: 7/10
Projection: 7.5/10
03rd February, 2021

Etruscan Water by Francesca Bianchi

As a male writing this Etruscan water is way too feminine and sweet and cloying. Almost a scrubber, in fact it would have been if I was not so busy. I see one of the other reviewers struggled with it initially with fleeting urges to scrub it until finally 'from smelling from further away' seeing it as beautiful and rich. I think it was heavy on the Immortelle, jasmine and musk.
Phew!
03rd February, 2021

Cologne Intense by Houbigant

Oh dear. Houbigant enjoy placing our emotions on a roller coaster ride of highs and lows. I looooove the opening. A warm cologne smell thus perfectly living up to the name cologne intense. Easily FBW. However I had learnt my lesson from Fougere Royal and did not start looking on-line for deals. Instead I waited , unfortunately not for very long. Seems to be the Houbigant trade mark of becoming a skin scent after 30 minutes.Useless.
28th January, 2021

Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

This smells exactly like one of the Montale and Loewe incense based fragrances. Nothing original or special here and easy to see why it was discontinued. It also lasts for hours and kept annoying me throughout the day. Nothing Sahara or Noir about it.
27th January, 2021

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

The opening is gorgeous. This is 'the one' you think. Fresh green citrusy fougere. Uplifting but not too loud. You start looking on-line for a deal. Then .... Poof!... It's gone after half an hour. Just some residual powdery wood and pepper. Then nothing. What a let down.
26th January, 2021

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

For me this is on the edge of greatness and just because of that has a chef's table view of the real master in this category: Roja Dove Danger Parfum Cologne. They open pretty much identical cocooning you immediately in a sense of pecuniary relief at the 6 x price differential. Guerlain has saved the day you think. But after half an hour the master just takes it away. Heritage Edt becomes increasingly sweet and powdery almost powder puff and sent wafts up from my chest straight into my mask and started annoying me. Heart break.
The Roja remains sharp and masculine and lasts a lot longer as well. My only issue with it is that there are better smelling fragrances if you want the lighter type namely Mfk Masculin Pluriel and the Parfum version just requires a gentle dab to release one of the greatest fragrances of all time. Warm, masculine, subtle, monumental. Worth the enormous price tag? I do and did.

Fragrance: 6.75/10
11th December, 2020

Perfect Oud by Mizensir

A surprise and honour to be the first one reviewing this here. This is a gentle clean crystalline Oud on a base of subtle cedar and the barest hint of rose. A masculine masterpiece. Linear and lasts 2-3 hours and skin scent after that for another couple of hours.
FBW and I did. The second FB in addition to Celebes Wood.
If you want something almost identical but with a much heavier Rose that ended up being off putting to me then the more expensiven newly released Golden Oud is the choice. However that is made completely redundant by MFK Satin Oud Mood Extrait (not the EDP) which is effortlessly better smoother and longer lasting. That is talking from a guys perspective. I can see Golden Oud being an interesting choice for a lady. Just.

Fragrance: 7.75/10
26th November, 2020

Celebes Wood by Mizensir

This was recommended to me by an ebay seller who sold me Masculine Pluriel by MFK. She told me this was her favourite of the moment and since she did not have one to sell me this added a certain verisimilitude so that I went to the Mizensir Web site and bought a sample. They sent me 3 others with it.
Perfect Oud and Golden Oud are as crystalline clean as you can imagine Oud to be, the latter with a slight smokiness and a rose accord. The former is very good and left a very pleasant aura round me which I found my nostrils flaring to pick up more of during the next few hours. Crystalline oud and cedar with a touch or rose. The latter is a superb slightly warmer weather fragrance which lasts and lasts.
Bois de Mysorie is a very pleasant sherbert orange woodie freshie. Slightly tangy and powdery, you want to smell it from a few inches away not with nose buried against your arm. A bit too peppery for me ultimately and does not last that long.
Now to the main feature.
Instant FBW.
If you have ever smelt Creed Spice and Wood and liked it or wanted to like it but found it a bit too strong and full of its own importance, then this is your new signature fragrance.
This is a light fresh woody spicy fragrance but that does not mean to say it is not warm either.Its really difficult to pick out individual notes .Maybe its the vanilla and tonka and cardamon casting a playful ephemeral veil over the labdanum and presenting it to us for our olfactory delight . So if light spicy woody masculine smooth is what you want to achieve and be able to wear practically anywhere anytime this is it. If you ready my other reviews you will see I do not hesitate to castigate where I think it is required.
I can't understand some of the few reviews I have read which describe this as heavy. That is not true.
Thank you Miss ebay seller my olfactory heart is yours. For the moment. After all life is fickle.
Btw Perfect Oud and Golden Oud are also FBW and I did.

Fragrance: 9/10
Projection: 7.5/10
Longevity: 7/10
19th November, 2020 (last edited: 01st December, 2020)

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Phew!
This is not unisex by any stretch of the imagination.
Very sugary sweet powdery vanilla, tonca, amber, labdanum. Smells ok actually but this should be re labelled for ladies to prevent people like me wasting money on samples.

Fragrance: 5/10 for men, 7/10 for ladies.
16th November, 2020

APOM pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

phew.

Sugared orange blossom. Quite off putting. I cannot imagine any functional male wearing this and since its not a particularly nice smell then no lady either. Scrubber.

Fragrance: 5/10
16th November, 2020

Gentle Fluidity (Silver Edition) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Very nice masculine sweet light fragrance which a lady can also carry off.
Juniper berry with musk touch of wood and nutmeg with a metallic vibe joining in.
More of a casual or date night scent or indeed it these times where common sense has suffered its own reformulations and dilutions 'working from home' scent.
I like it: FBW.
To give you an idea my soft sweet fragrance of choice up to how has been Miller Harris Lost In The City which I tried to love because my wife loved it. Now I am selling that and buying this. Will my wife love it? If a man speaks in a forest and no woman hears him is he still wrong?

Fragrance: 8/10
Projection: 8/10
Longevity: 7.75/10
12th November, 2020

Darley by Parfums de Marly

More wearable version of Amouage Reflection Man. Both are powdery and floral, the latter is sweeter and heavier on the floral and smells like the inside of an old lady's handbag. The former ruins it by being powdery. There is some degree of redemption here but for me it needs to be smoother.
Projects well, lasts several hours.

Scent: 6.75/10
Projection: 8/10
06th November, 2020

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Pleasant and fresh but nothing special considering the price. In fact close up something jars which seems to be a sour citrus mix. So I would not buy it. Would I wear it if someone gave me a bottle? Only if I ran out of Milesime Imperial!

Fragrance: 7/10
Projection: 7.5
Longevity: 7.75
30th October, 2020

Vert des Bois by Tom Ford

Fresh clean green cologne-like. Fairly linear. Very nice indeed. I was going to buy a bottle until I took my jacket off and up wafted Roja Dove Parfum Danger Homme. The 500 euro version. Totally outclassed the VdB and to seal its fate it's not particularly long lasting either.
Shame. Close one. Very nice.
11th October, 2020

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Masculine and subtle.
Starts of fresh spicy unique, tea flower and wood with a hint of sweetness and settles down to a more subtle wearable version of the already excellent Michaelef Gaiac Wood lasting for hours with subtle but noticeable projection.
How many times have I used the word 'subtle' ? That is all true power and taste needs in order to be outstanding.
Anytime anywhere signature fragrance.
FBW and I did.

Fragrance: 8/10
24th September, 2020

Idole Eau de Parfum by Lubin

Nice enough but to quote from Dervant:

'Idole Edp is finally a less complex and more syrupy superfluous variation of the original Idole Edt'

Thats correct. This reminds me slightly of the outstanding Amouage Journey Man and Miller Harris Etui Noir. At least it begins to but fails to develop into any interest or depth.
At best you can use this as a safe work fragrance if you are keen to wear this spicy incense tobacco vibe to work.
Move along.