Reviews by ClockworkAlice

Anaïs Anaïs L'Original Eau de Parfum by Cacharel

Very very very powdery, but not sweetly so. It's very neutral on the sweetness scale, or should I say not sour at all, but also truly unsweet. Clean. Floral. A bit stuffy. I can understand how it was perceived as young and innocent many years ago. It has kept that naivety and prettiness. But it's also very, very stuffy.
I kind of like it and I kind of don't. That stuffiness repels me a bit. But there is something in Anais Anais that grabs me with its powdery soothing hands and makes me lie, smile and dream for a while - even if I'd never want a bottle for myself.

DKNY Women Energizing by Donna Karan

Very clean, crisp, citrusy, aloof, with lots of clean white laundry musks. They say vodka, lemon and a tomato leaf, I get more of gin and tonic vibe. So refreshing. Smells like my teen years! I would have liked it. It smells like something my mom could have gifted to me back then. I actually like it even now.

Endless Euphoria by Calvin Klein

It's very nice, a little floral, a little fruity, light, juicy and lovely. Cannot say anything bad about it - maybe it's just a little unexciting. But it is nice. It is so nice that I just can't give it less than a thumbs up - even if it doesn't move me much.

Happy by Clinique

This stinks to me, and it's not a figure of speech. No citrus, no nothing, just dusty-bitterish plasticky sweaty-fresh scent, or maybe that thing that gets stuck in your throat after you spray an antiperspirant. Ew. A bit similar to Puma Woman that I had, but that one was at least more interesting in its bitter ways. I actually met that stinky-fresh accord a few times in my life. Could my nose be reading some of the citrusy-fresh materials of late 90s/early 2000s entirely wrong? Or could it be the scent of a spoilt bottle maybe?

Alien Oud Majestueux by Thierry Mugler

Oh, I really enjoy this. This is woodier, darker, spicier and at the same time gentler Alien. Probably my favourite version so far. I like how the dark woody notes, cardamom and other spices mingle with the grape candy jasmine of Alien. Very nice.

Alien Fusion by Thierry Mugler

A warmer, gentler, a bit more contemporary Alien. Ginger and cinnamon are perceptible at the start and win me over, but sadly they are gone to me after the scent dries down. On my skin, the drydown is not as impressive, less interesting than original. But I might need to retry it several more times, maybe I'm just not grasping it yet.
Thumbs up because it's still quite nice.

Alien Flora Futura by Thierry Mugler

A fruity floral Alien. Starts with nice citrusy top notes, dries down to Alien + soapy floral bouquet and shampooey fruits. A good choice if you like Alien but want a fruitier, lighter, easier, summerier take on it, but I'm personally not a fan. Feels a little bit too generic on my skin.

Ambre Impérial by Van Cleef & Arpels

A dry, peppery, cinnamony and slightly bitter amber. Almost dusty, but not quite, almost aromatic, but not quite. A very nice one, but I personally prefer sweeter, fuller ones - like L'Artisan Parfumeur Ambre Extreme, L'Erbolario Meharees and Lubin Akkad.

Rose Rouge by Van Cleef & Arpels

A tart fruity-sweet rose like many other tart fruity-sweet roses. A bit stinky in its fruity rosy way. Great one if you love the genre, maybe even one of the better ones in it. I guess I'm just not a fan of fruity rose gourmands overall.

Toy 2 by Moschino

It smells citrusy-musky-floral-synthetic. I enjoy the lemony top notes quite a bit. Everything else is pleasant but boring. I will use up my sample with pleasure and then I'll forget it – but I can see it as a great office scent for warmer months. It won't bother anyone, it will smell pleasant and clean, it's nothing to complain about - it's just nice and fresh and clean.
The bottle is atrocious.

Perles de Lalique by Lalique

Now I know where Alberto Morillas got his inspiration for my beloved Gucci Guilty Absolute pour femme! From miss Nathalie Lorson!

I'm half joking here because these scents are definitely not the same, but what they share is this dark, sombre mood, created by accords of peppery rose-patchouli-leather-piney-woods.

It's a gorgeous gorgeous spicy patchouli-rose with leathery and piney undertones. Oh, I love this, too. I find it slightly sharper and less refined than Gucci, it's more grunge - but because it's not neat it doesn't mean it's not classy. It's classy in a very empowered and unapologetic way.

I think I should have tried it sooner, but I expected something very different from a white bottle named "Perles", maybe some white flowers or something very pretty and dainty, I don't know. This smells deep purple and dark green, maybe even black at times, and I'd rather imagine it called Onyx de Lalique or something.

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

This is gorgeous. Very softly spicy – and overall very soft. Also warm and beautiful. Mandarin in the top notes is noticeable and sweetly refreshing. Later it fades into beautiful slightly spicy-powdery vanilla. Beautiful, beautiful "my skin, but better" kind of scent.

Elie Saab Le Parfum Royal by Elie Saab

A pretty and a very sweet white floral (notes say orange blossom and a bit of rose, but at first I do not perceive rose - oh, but when it dries down, it gets to that deep dark rosy business pretty strongly). For the first hour it smells sweetly fruity. Later in the dry down I'm getting a sweet rose-patchouli accord, it's quite elegant and almost gourmandish while not being exactly gourmand, it's still a floral. I believe this should have many fans as it's absolutely sweetly elegant, but it's way too sweet for me. Glad I tried it though.

A Girl in Capri by Lanvin

Official notes say "lemon, bergamot, grapefruit" and also driftwood, but I'm not getting any of these - I get mango, pineapple and heavy multivitamin juice vibes instead. It's fruity, it's sweet, it's young, it's fun, it's pretty boring, but also very easy to like. Just like multivitamin juice.

Keep Glazed by House of Oud

LOTS of mango - a sugared mango. Very sweet & sour. Mango and lemon keeps it tart and cuts through the sugary sweetness. It actually smells lovely, juicy and yummy. Quite girly, too, in a summery Escada way, but richer and deeper. The lemony mango seems quite realistic, like a summer cocktail. It doesn't smell neither original nor classy, but it's definitely cheerful and very delicious.

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

So serene, so calm, so calming and so elegant - it's the scent of a smart woman who has her shit together. That, together with this being a non-intrusive, clean, soapy and polite perfume makes it an amazing work scent. It just cuts through all the crap of the day and presents you this calm, soapy, incensy and slightly irisy-powdery (just a tiny touch of powdery! more soapy! powder-enemies, don't fret!) vetiver scent. You smell it and it all gets better.

I had a mini bottle of this and upon using half of it gave it as a thank you gesture to another woman who wanted it (and this generous woman was well worth it), but I'd gladly welcome a bigger bottle of this again in my wardrobe some day. For now, I am very happy with Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef and Arpels which to my nose is a sister scent to Infusion d'Iris. They both have very similar mood, they're both quiet, introspective and easy to wear, but Bois d'Iris is a more woody and incensy, slightly darker iris where Infusion d'Iris, while also having these facets, is more about the soap and vetiver. Both are very slightly feminine leaning unisex - or maybe just unisex - to my nose. I slightly favour Bois as an incense fan, but Infusion is really worth my attention - and probably yours, too.
10th May, 2021

Citrus Noir by Molinard

A dark, woody and only very slightly incensy citrus that also has that very airy quality which reminds me of a lighter, yet darker Terre d'Hermes. Leans masculine.
10th May, 2021

Gabrielle by Chanel

Gabrielle is lovely - a clear, bright, clean and cool floral. It evokes a sunny winter's day in my mind. I personally do not get any citrus, just a crisp white floral smell. For me it seems very elegant and very fitting for more official occasions, but it can be an everyday work scent too if you're a more posh type. It's not fussy, it's clean, crisp and calm - and pleasant. I finished my sample with pleasure. It will not become a bottle though as it has the same problem that many bright and clean citrusy jasmine scents have - it makes me sneeze when I wear it near my nose. I blame hedione, or at least its description fits this kind of scents. Other than that, it's a pretty perfume.
06th May, 2021

Rouge Smoking by BDK Parfums

It's very tasty, sweet and cozy. Lots of cashmeran which I totally enjoy, and some cherry jam on top. Maybe a hint of cherry tobacco (or maybe I'm just imagining it), also some almond, saffron and sweet woods, too. It's a gourmand, but not a too sweet one, it has depth. Delicious and intoxicating fragrance, and synthetically pleasant. It's not overwhelmingly strong but strong enough so that I could still feel it on my inner elbows next morning (not on wrists though, maybe I lick them when I sleep, who knows).
06th May, 2021

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

It is no doubt a well made perfume, but really, really, really not my style and taste. It's a huge bouquet of white and yellow flowers and also a bucket filled to the brim with pollen. It really smells like you stuck a nose into a bouquet and kept it for an hour. Dizzying. I can see how many people would find it amazing, but it's a very difficult wear to me, I can feel my nose going stuffy almost instantly. Nevertheless it's an interesting perfume, very evocative of summer flower gardens blooming in the sun, pollen, bees and all. Thumbs down because it's a scrubber, a sneeze, a stuffy nose and a headache for me. But it still might be a beautiful classic for you.
04th May, 2021

L'Interdit (2018 version) by Givenchy

The dose really makes the poison! I remember how I sniffed it at a counter and recoiled: such obnoxious sweetness! such intolerably huge tuberose! I laughed like a madwoman when I received a sample of this with a purchase. I sniffed it again, and yeah, still disliked it. A few weeks passed and I was feeling brave enough to add just a couple tiniest spritzes from the vial on my skin, and guess what! I finally was able to enjoy what I smelled: a soft, fat, cuddly, buttery, waxy, cozy sweetened tuberose. The tiniest spritzes and the right timing is everything here. Just one spray too many (and yes, just one *can* be too many if the time is not right) and you'll drown in the thick and lustful floral sugary sweetness and all you'll be able to see is pink, and all you'll be able to taste are buttery cake frosting flowers. Not for the faint of heart. For those who want the whole cake for themselves only.

La Belle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Sweeter, thicker, denser, deeper, stronger, fruitier version of original La Belle. Less mineralic, much sweeter and more gourmand. Pear is very prominent throughout all the duration of the scent (which is really long lasting). You can still feel a tiny hint of La Belle's vetiver, too, but it is greatly outshined by vanilla, tonka and fruity sweetness. I feel some Pink Sugar vibes, too, although much more upscale. One can say it's the sexier, more sensual version of La Belle, but I personally find the original more interesting.

Replica Whispers in the Library by Martin Margiela

Woody-vanillic, synthetically lovely, cozy and subtle. Fits the name. Name and the associations it evokes are more interesting than the scent itself though.

Dolce & Gabbana pour Femme (new) by Dolce & Gabbana

A very cheerful, feminine, cozy, easy to wear and powdery scent. Opens with a sweet strawberry, dries down to a cuddly marshmallow/vanilla/heliotrope powder-thing. Feels both young and grown up at once, and therefore can fit a girl or woman of any age. It is lightly related to its pink and powdery cousins Guerlain's Insolence and Westwood's Boudoir, but is so much more subtle, understated and demure than any of them. One can wear it to work without any hesitation - D&G pour Femme will not shout nor kick nor offend, it will behave like a lady, soothe you and charm others with its understated sweet and lovely nature. You must like sweets to enjoy it though.

Miroir, Miroir : Miroir des Majestés / Mirror of Majesties by Thierry Mugler

A beautiful, rich, slightly spicy, warm, slightly dark oriental. Patchouli is prominent but somewhat tamed. Only a hint of oud. Cardamom is prominent, as is amber. I do not detect leather/suede, but maybe I don't know where to look. It has an overall slightly dusty, opaque quality, but not overwhelmingly so. It's not monstrous in its volume or strength, but it is majestic. The bottle and the mirror-box are gorgeous, too.

Diorissimo Extrait de Parfum by Christian Dior

The Diorissimo that I had pleasure to try comes from a teeny tiny official mini bottle - so tiny it could be a sample vial, it's probably just 2 ml size. It's a straight bottle with a gold-colour cap and a vertical 'Diorissimo' on it, and nothing else. Thanks to the wonderful people of Basenotes I got to know it's actually the parfum. I don't know if it's old or not, the new version by Demachy or the old creation by Roudnitska, but I'm very glad to be able to try it in any form.

It's a bit alcoholic when smelled straight from the mini bottle - the years weren't too kind to it - and the top notes have turned a tiny bit, but on skin it becomes a beautiful, clear and lightly green elegant floral. It's bright, springlike and feels somewhat innocent and 'proper', like a modest and serious lady with neat hair, clean gloves and a skirt of proper length. It's the Lawful Good of the perfume world. It inspires good thoughts and good deeds just by humming on your wrist. When I smell it, so many other pretty florals come to mind, no doubt Diorissimo inspired them at least in a way.
21st April, 2021

Splendida Patchouli Tentation by Bulgari

A very nice scent. Soft patchouli, musk, not too powdery but maybe slightly dusty iris, and maybe even a hint of suede, rounded by peach. Patchouli is not sour, dries down soft and almost chocolate-y. In my mind, it is related to Narciso, Bottega Veneta, Habanita and Habanita L'Esprit. All different and unique perfumes, but this meets them all halfway somehow.
15th April, 2021

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

It might not be the most original scent, but it is very pretty, very easy to wear and a very happy (happy in a calm, lightly smiling way, not in a madly laughing or running around barefoot way) citrusy-floral fragrance. Both cranberry and tea are also very perceivable and feel really refreshing. It has nothing to do with original Ange ou Démon, but it's a truly nice choice for a day at work or meeting relatives. No one will be offended, as all demons are tamed and neatly brushed while angels sip their tea and sing their choir.

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

This is so tempting. Lightly and warmly spicy - just a bit, a bit sweet, a bit intoxicating - but not overwhelming - a bit deep, but not very dark, very inviting and subtly sexy. A beautiful perfume, a gorgeous bottle, a treat to senses.

Mon Guerlain Sparkling Bouquet by Guerlain

This is not Mon Guerlain, this is a generic fruity floral. If you like Kenzo World and other pear compote scents, buy it. If you like lavender, patchouli and Guerlain vanilla, avoid. The top notes do sparkle beautifully like a sparkling wine though, but it's the only part of it that I enjoyed.

Disclaimer: I find most pear scents unexplainably difficult, cloyingly sweet and unbearable. Other people say it's the least sweet and freshest of Mon Guerlains, I can see where they're coming from, but my pear hating nose disagrees.