Reviews by ClockworkAlice

Splendida Patchouli Tentation by Bulgari

A very nice scent. Soft patchouli, musk, not too powdery but maybe slightly dusty iris, and maybe even a hint of suede, rounded by peach. Patchouli is not sour, dries down soft and almost chocolate-y. In my mind, it is related to Narciso, Bottega Veneta, Habanita and Habanita L'Esprit. All different and unique perfumes, but this meets them all halfway somehow.
15th April, 2021

Ange ou Démon Le Secret by Givenchy

It might not be the most original scent, but it is very pretty, very easy to wear and a very happy (happy in a calm, lightly smiling way, not in a madly laughing or running around barefoot way) citrusy-floral fragrance. Both cranberry and tea are also very perceivable and feel really refreshing. It has nothing to do with original Ange ou Démon, but it's a truly nice choice for a day at work or meeting relatives. No one will be offended, as all demons are tamed and neatly brushed while angels sip their tea and sing their choir.

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

This is so tempting. Lightly and warmly spicy - just a bit, a bit sweet, a bit intoxicating - but not overwhelming - a bit deep, but not very dark, very inviting and subtly sexy. A beautiful perfume, a gorgeous bottle, a treat to senses.

Mon Guerlain Sparkling Bouquet by Guerlain

This is not Mon Guerlain, this is a generic fruity floral. If you like Kenzo World and other pear compote scents, buy it. If you like lavender, patchouli and Guerlain vanilla, avoid. The top notes do sparkle beautifully like a sparkling wine though, but it's the only part of it that I enjoyed.

Disclaimer: I find most pear scents unexplainably difficult, cloyingly sweet and unbearable. Other people say it's the least sweet and freshest of Mon Guerlains, I can see where they're coming from, but my pear hating nose disagrees.

Dali Wild by Salvador Dali

A sweet and honeyed white floral, bright, bold and spring-like. Various woods are mentioned in the notes, but I do not get them much, they probably blend into florals so well that I see them as one. Instead I get honey that isn't mentioned - not the thick, megasweet honey, but the brightly sweet one, like nectar still in flowers themselves.

I got it as a gift from mom and used up my 30 ml bottle as a nostalgic scent during pandemic - if I cannot go and see her, at least I can smell like a sweet, floral, intoxicatingly romantic and carefree perfume she has given me. This connection made me like the scent which is actually just the kind of pollen-full white floral that usually annoys me to no end.

The bottle itself is very intricate and lovely. I am not too fond of animalic pattern myself, but it represents Dali's pet ocelot named Babou and is not out of the context here.
06th April, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

Cuir Eau de Parfum by Molinard

I tried the purple bottle with the white label. This is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, slightly leathery autumnal goodness. Probably more spicy than leathery, but the leather in here is of the hard and juicy-feeling, slightly sour-ish kind. You don't think about a leather bag while smelling it, it's more like a saddle. Feels unisex to me, although I think many women would consider it leaning masculine. It's quite loud and strong upon application, although it doesn't last very long on my skin (or maybe I just get anosmic after a while and stop smelling it? Maybe it's my fault, not the perfume's). I truly enjoy the smell, finished my sample with pleasure, but decided not to buy a bottle - it is beautiful, but a bit too intense for me.

I am seeing different notes everywhere else on internet and what I smell better corresponds with these instead of what's written here. Maybe the purple bottle is different from the one in the photo:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Nutmeg, Verbena
Heart Notes: Pimento, Lily, Saffron, Lavender
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Oud, Amber, Leather, Patchouli, Musk
02nd April, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

La Fin du Monde by Etat Libre d'Orange

A light and nice bakery scent. Who would have thought that the end of the world smells like popcorn and cake and a little powder! Nice.

Eau de Protection / Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

Now this is one of those very rare ELdO scents that are actually very strong! (Most of them are very fleeting and barely detectable on my skin). Now this is a beast, and this beast smells of rose, mint and fir. It's a very foresty, extra calming rose. If it was a bit sweeter, it would be cloying for how heavy and loud it is, but those minty, coniferous and resinous qualities make it so soothing and refreshing in return. There is also something crude about it that reminds me a bit of Lush fragrances, but a bit more polished around the edges. I do like it quite a bit. This Eau de Protection does make me feel quite safe and strong, yes.

Après L'Ondée Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

All that they say about Après L'Ondée is true: it is very similar to L'Heure Bleue, just lighter, brighter, more herbal and not powdery, sweet nor bready - but just as dreamy. And just as beautiful!

Versace pour Femme Dylan Blue by Versace

A very clean and shampoo-ey fruity floral. Apples in the top notes are nice. Nothing exceptional, but it's quite lovely and generally very likeable - you won't get any complaints at work for sure. I got a mini of it as a gift while buying skincare, but I think I won't keep it to myself as it's not my kind of perfume, but it might make a nice gift for someone who's into this type of scent.

Eau du Coq by Guerlain

This is a lovely historic cologne. Lemon and bergamot in it are beautiful. It's slightly herbal. Also has that slightly dusty quality that many old scents have - 4471 original cologne too - that I'm not too fond of. But it's refreshing and very nice, and a joy to imagine how gentlemen groomed themselves more than a century ago. Thumbs up for bringing the history to my skin.

La Vie est Belle by Lancôme

It's actually called La vie est belle l'eau de parfum on my carded sample so it gave me some confusion - at first I thought that's some strange flanker that's not in directory, but no, apparently this is the full name of original La vie est belle.

LVEB line gets a lot of hate among perfumistas, but it's actually a very likeable sweet, feminine and lovely floriental-iris-gourmand scent. A bit too pink for my taste (at least the bottle is definitely too pink for my taste), but it is not that suffocating unbearably sweet monster it's often made out to be. It's a cozy, optimistic and romantic scent. You know what? The bad reputation it gets is probably because of people who spray waaay too much - it is very potent. A little goes a long way, keep that in mind and keep your friends and colleagues sane.

I frequent perfume stores a lot because I like doing sniffing trips after work to distract myself a bit and it's getting hard to count the times I've seen various ladies coming to sniff perfumes, not really liking anything much, and - guess what - after a sales associate shows them La vie est belle, I see their faces light up. And then they say: yes, this one is nice, I like this one! And then they buy it. Because it is very likeable indeed, and the name is inspiring, too - don't we all want our lives to be beautiful?

La vie est belle might be a snobby perfumista repellent, because it's so sweet and likeable and pink and so ultramegapopular to the point it becomes oh so boring, but it's so damn popular for a reason. And that reason is that it's actually blended nicely and women love it - they just do. And my inner hipster might be all ironic about it, but hey, I must admit I'm just another woman, too.

(And Cook.bot's review of this scent is the best thing on this site. Read it, read it. My review is a peasant's one, but that one is an art.)

Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is a quiet-ish, sweet-ish, lovely and powdery scent with an undertone of tires. That undertone reminds me of Bvlgari Black a bit, but this scent is much sweeter and more feminine, and it doesn't have that beautiful wet asphalt aroma that I adore in Black, just powder and sweetened plastic and tires. Fun!

Une Amourette Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange

This one is both a changer and a grower.

At first it smells like... I don't even know how to describe it in perfumery terms, but it smells like slightly dusty and slightly peppery men's cologne and a bit like dusty wardrobe with metallic aspects. Huh?? Am I making any sense? Later, the dust settles and the metallic aspects get more prominent to the point of smelling ALMOST like an aquatic but NOT QUITE - and it's good because I'm a bit sensitive to those - basically it just starts smelling more metallic and more men's cologne-y, and then it starts changing again!

It settles, gets slightly sweeter and warmer and powderier and pepperier - but not exactly sweet and warm nor very peppery nor powdery - it just starts smelling a bit worn-in, very unisex and very cozy. I like it!

Does this review sound like a trainwreck to you? It's because this fragrance makes my mind go in circles, and I like that.

Aqua Solis by Le Couvent des Minimes

It's citrusy and spicy, with an emphasis on spicy - it starts with a blast of cardamom and other spices - I personally get quite a lot of ginger that's not mentioned in the notes - I wonder if I'm crazy or it really smells like ginger - and a lovely sweet mandarin joins them, too. Since I know there should be some rosemary, I search for it and I recognize it - it's the aromatic aspect of this scent, taming the sweetness of mandarin somewhat. It's a light and refreshing cologne - but the spices make it feel warm and, well, sunny - therefore Aqua Solis seems like a very good name for it. Great morning scent as it energizes me, lifts my mood and helps me wake up and start the day. Unisex.

Oh Ma Biche by Lolita Lempicka

This scent is fruity, easy, summery, uplifting, juicy, a bit sweet and very fun. It smells primarily of peaches and a bit of sweet tangerine, and feels very sparkly - the "prosecco" note is really on point here.

It is fruity-sweet, young, uncomplicated, very clean and can remind you of some peach body spray from The Body Shop or similar brand, but feels more upscale and more nuanced anyway. I can see it as a lovely summer scent for a lovely young lady - or for any lovely lady young at heart.

Oh Ma Biche, meaning "Oh My Doe", gets its name from a very popular French love song, and it shares the vivacious and playful feeling with the song. It is also a lighter, brighter, more summery flanker to another Lolita Lempicka's scent called Lolitaland - it even shares the little Bambi-like doe on the cap.

It's not a very serious perfume and it surely doesn't take itself seriously, but it's definitely a little pleasure and quite a lot of happiness in a cutesy bottle. And it really does smell like a bellini cocktail, yes!
14th March, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels

It's so beautiful and serene to me, and also very comforting. Reminds me of Prada's Infusion d'Iris a bit, as both are quiet scents that have that beautiful calm iris with a bit of woods and incense, but where Prada is soapier, colder, cleaner, more distant, Bois d'Iris is warmer, slightly peppery-sweet and so wonderfully cozy. It kind of meets both Prada's Infusion d'Iris and Diptyque's Eau Duelle halfway, and I love it.

I tried it once and that's all it took to order two bottles, that's how much I liked it, and the more I wear it, the more I am sure it's love.

It's rather quiet, contemplative and doesn't shout neither very loud nor for very long, so if you're into potent and flamboyant stuff, this is not for you. But oh, the whispers it says, they're just the stuff my dreams are made of. It smells like library in the moonlight to me, and all the stories that are being woven in there.
12th March, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

A very powdery, sweet and coquetish perfume that is both very girly and very old fashioned all at once. Definitely interesting, cozy and dreamy, and of course very pink. Doesn't feel dirty to me, more "worn-in". I can see it as a boudoir perfume. If I had to compare it with something, maybe I could compare it with Guerlain Insolence - but Insolence is softer, fruitier, even more dreamier and much more modern, and Boudoir is more candied, more complex, more mature and is more about a woman of flesh and blood and sweat while Insolence smells more like a fairy princess.
04th March, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain

It's a bit modernized and gourmandized version of Shalimar that should be satisfying to Shalimar fans and also could work as a gateway scent to Shalimar if the original classic fragrance felt too difficult or too vintage-smelling for you.

Here Shalimar is stripped of its leathery and smoky facets, vanilla and powdery aspects are amplified, the citruses are softened and a bit of lavender added to the top notes. It still feels like Shalimar, but it's much sweeter and feels even a bit gourmand. It's still quite a mature fragrance, but doesn't feel as vintage as your usual Shalimar. I personally love both - and already noticed that Philtre is just perfect for baking - or when you want to smell delicious.
19th February, 2021 (last edited: 15th April, 2021)

Putain des Palaces by Etat Libre d'Orange

I get an impression of Shalimar-ish powdery vanilla-amber at first, and I like it, but it gets soooo overpowered by bubblegummy and sugary notes that it becomes overly sweet and starts reminding of more powdery and less smoky and way subtler Pink Sugar more. I get zero leather, a bit of powder and a lot of candy-bubblegum. Some say they get something dirty underneath, to me it smells clean and girly, a bit powdery and sugary. It's okay, wearable and likeable and cheery, but I'm not a fan.

You know the comedy Mean Girls? There's a scene where a friend remarks to the main character: "You smell like a baby prostitute." Well, this could be that.

Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is SO pointless I cannot even wrap my head around it. Why would I pay €100 to smell like I just had a doctor appointment and I'm self-medicating warts, itches, painful joints or hemorrhoids with camphor oil if I can just buy a bottle of camphor oil for €1 and actually cure all my itches and sores along the way, while also smelling the part?

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

One of the best ELdO fragrances to my nose, and one of the silliest perfume names ever. It's so damn ironic it's hard to tell if it's more funny/cool than lame or not. Although on a second thought, I like this name so much more than any of the "Sexy Lovebomb Pink Seductress Glitter Edition" stuff, so maybe it's not so bad after all. Better to be so ironic that it's getting silly than just outright dumb, right?

It smells of vetiver, lots of very realistic vetiver. I had a pleasure to smell some real vetiver oil, and it really smells like that - whether they used a real oil or an illusion of it here. It's beautiful, I like the smell. I don't get much resins or chestnut cream, but it smells very calming, outdoorsy and serene. It doesn't smell like any fat nor lean electricians I have ever met. It smells like freedom.

500 Years by Etat Libre d'Orange

Description says it should be a woody spicy rose, but on my skin and to my nose it's only woody wooden woods. Nice though.
10th February, 2021

Hermann à Mes Côtés Me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange

Oh no - here we go, the first ELdO I try that I actually truly hate. Everything else I tried was at least likeable or amusing to me. I can't really review this peppery aquatic properly because it just makes me gag. Maybe a bit similar to Versace pour Homme but with more pepper, less aquatic-florals and less light wateriness, that one also made me sick in a similar way. Hermann has a nice name and a nice bottle and is a polite fragrance overall - but clearly not for me. Scrubbed it off.

You might like it if you like calm aquatics with some peppery edge.
10th February, 2021

Spice Must Flow by Etat Libre d'Orange

Oooooh, I was really interested to smell it because I suspected I'd love it, and Yes I do!

At first I am punched to the nose with assorted spices and I am enjoying it. Then the rose comes in, beautiful dark-ish rose, also similar to the ones in Juliette Has a Gun scents, and that's good because really I like this kind of rose. After a couple more minutes it becomes very woody, resinous and incensy, but not in a brash way, and not in a soft way either, it all feels kind of natural (although probably actually synthetic, but who cares, it's the impression that counts).

The rose keeps shining through the planks and resins. I am truly enjoying it. But do I enjoy it enough to pay €200 (or €185 with sample set discount)? Don't get me wrong baby, I really like you, but I won't swallow this price.

Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange

At first I get fresh apple for 5 seconds or so, and then it goes to a sweaty rose, a bit similar to one in Juliette Has A Gun's Lady Vengeance and Mad Madame, but much much much fainter. I like it, but I like JHAG scents more because I smelled them first. Too bad the scent is so faint to my nose I can hardly smell it at all. I respray it and still cannot smell it after a minute again. It might be my nose and not the perfume though. After several hours of nothing I start smelling it again when I dig my nose into my wrist. Smells like a bit softer and less dusty and weakened Agent Provocateur then. I like it, but thank you, I'll take Agent Provocateur over this any day - especially considering the price.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

After spraying it I instantly get marshmallow - lots of marshmallow! It seems like a very quiet and also very sweet and childish scent for half an hour, and then it starts to change - do I get leather? Yes, the leather comes out through all that marshmallow candy opening. It smells like a sweetened leather for a while, until I'm starting to get hints of coffee/cacao, too, and that's where I am starting to enjoy it. Very very fun to smell. Oh, and after a little dance that leather does on my skin, it all returns to bubblegummy marshmallow once again in the drydown. A child may try to act all grown up and everything, but it's still a child deep inside.

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby Yes I Do by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very soft and innocent floral. A bit of marshmallow/bubblegum underneath the flowers. I know I am buying into the marketing here, but it *could* be a Lolita scent! I think it would really fit a flirty and yet somewhat innocent young girl so well. Beneath a scandalous name (it's a funny play on their previous fragrance Don't Get Me Wrong Baby I Don't Swallow) it's a very likeable, pretty, innocent and slightly sweet floral, just the kind I don't like at all.

Like This / Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

Hmm, this does smell a bit like pumpkin pie or something else bready. It's cozy and a little bit strange. Also very quiet. There is a very slight bitterness next to the bready sweetness. I can't say I like it, but I think I can see why many others do. Seems like a good scent for baking.
05th February, 2021

You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange

A whiff of it and I'm a kid again on my grandfather's farm, sitting in a meadow in the backyard - so many mint leaves, the black, red and white currant shrubs - it's early summer, so no berries yet, just leaves - and also gooseberry shrubs and raspberry shrubs with their soft and almost fuzzy leaves, and an occasional stinging nettle, too! I am mesmerized.

Chandler Burr says: "The raw materials are completely irrelevant. The work is the work. If you need to know what it’s made of, don’t wear it; You is not for you." He's right in a way. I don't need to know that there are no raspberry or nettle leaves in there, what's important is that I imagine them when I smell this.
04th February, 2021