Reviews by tinfoilhatdude

Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

Great tobacco scent, but sickly sweet. Very cloying, and not in a gourmond way.

I really wish this was dry, because I do like the tobacco leaf note, but I just can't stomach the rest.

Wearing The Dreamer now and yearning for the tobacco leaf note found in the Rogue offering...

02nd November, 2020

Onsen Wood by Madhat Scents

Great scent to represent Texas. I would wear this on a rainy day, when I can't go out and fire up the grill, but still want to enjoy that frame of mind.

I don't get a lot of woods, wish there were more. All in all, quality juice. Not sure if it's full bottle worthy for me, but I like it.

7.5/10

40 Rogue by Rogue Perfumery

Love the drydown!! It reminds me of Lauder for Men, vintage, with real oakmoss.

However, it takes a long time to get there. And that's my gripe. I'm not a fan of the heart, which lasts for 4 hours. It's not off-putting, but it's not what I would drop coin for.

Great longevity though, after 12 hours I still had a scent bubble around me.

Try before you buy, and maybe it'll be worth your while, but I'd rather try something else with more of this base.

Enigma pour Homme Cologne by Roja Dove

Nuclear Longevity! 12 hours later, after a full day of work, this stuff is still leaving quite a trail! Incredible!

However, this is definitely not masculine, and unisex may be a stretch. I felt like I was wearing a feminine powerhouse from the '80s.

This stuff wears thick, I wouldn't touch it above 80 degrees, especially with humidity.

I find it quite linear. Just when I think it's about to start getting sweet, it goes back to "perfumey".

After 13 hours of wear on one spray, and a scrubby shower, I thought I was clear of it. But I think it's interfering with my SOTN.... Maybe after a night's sleep, and another shower, maybe, I'll finally have all traces of this off of my body...

Try before you buy, but if this is your bag, you'll definitely get your money's worth!

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

I think Cartier added 2 scoops of vanilla to this and called it "Must de Cartier Pour Homme"....

Great green scent, much more approachable than PRPH or Quorum. Great for Fall, it doesn't get to cloying, but it might in heat or humidity.

FBW in my book, but probably try before you buy.
15th October, 2020

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Thumbs up for the scent, but a neutral at today's prices....

One of Tom Ford's better offerings, as it doesn't wear "heavy" like his eponymous lineup does.

However, staying true to every TF scent I've tried, this is very linear. And there is the "pencil shavings" scent lurking in the background, throughout the day.

Longevity is above average, as are all TF scents I've tried, so if this frag is your bag you will get your money's worth.

The discontinued Tommy Bahama for Men is a similar reference for the base, so add some spice and a faint "cola" hint to that and you are pretty close to Gucci PH I.

Definitely take a test drive before signing on the bottom line for this unicorn, but all in all better than anything with a "Tom Ford" on the label.
22nd September, 2020

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

Vintage Cosmair bottles are what my review is based on, Aftershave and EDT.

This is my staple aftershave, for work and church, and nothing else comes close to what Safari embodies. Projects both Classy & Rugged, Sauve & Direct, a masculine image, but not brutally so.

This works very well in heat & humidity, as well as fall, spring, and winter. Nothing sweet or cloying, nothing too spicy or sharp. The blending is masterful, the ingredients seem natural, an impeccable work of perfumery.

I haven't purchased a modern sample, as I refuse to accept IFRA "impressions" of fragrances past. So long great scents, it will be nice while they last....
02nd September, 2020

Envy for Men by Gucci

Neutral based on today's prices.
I'm still smelling what I sprayed 12+ hours earlier, with arms at my side.
Pleasant scent, but the sweetness of the vanilla never quits.
Interesting, but linear after a couple of hours.

Save the monopoly money and buy Carven Homme vintage. Much better build quality, in my opinion, as it pumps the breaks on the vanilla.

As with all Tom Ford frags, I find it overrated and oversweetened. Much better bottles out there for the money.
22nd July, 2020

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

In the same vein as Dior Homme, but more masculine.

No headachey synthetic notes.

Sprayed last night, plenty left this morning.

Thumbs up, especially for the price!
29th May, 2020

PS by Paul Sebastian

Barbosol in a spray, save your Federal Reserve Notes and buy the shaving cream at Wally World.

For this amount of money, I'd expect some projection and longevity. But both are lacking, so neutral for me because of these points and the unoriginality.

Pleasant enough though, but not enough to overcome the neutral rating.
17th May, 2020

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nice intro, followed by a drydown found in Terre De Hermes Parfum - Vetiver & ISO E Super. This came first, but found my nose second.

TDH Parfum has a better intro, by far, and a better transition into the base. And a better base.

For my money, I'll take the TDH Parfum. But props to LP for Timbuktu's quality, and for getting there first.
23rd March, 2020

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Vintage formula tested.

A blast of light cinimmon dominates the opening, but not a foody type. An un-powdery powder note carries the opening through the drydown, picking up other scents along the way. This powder is not the dandy-like barbershop type of powder from the likes of Tiffany for Men or Dunhill Edition, but more masculine and rough around the edges.

Beast-mode projection on just 3 sprays, all-day longevity and then some, this was well worth the price of admission.

Great scent, great quality, great ingredients.

9.0/10

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

Vintage formula tested, thanks to a very generous BN'er.

Normally, I would give a very powdery men's scent a neutral rating, as I usually find it far too feminine. But Tiffany for Men has enough spice and quality shining through that the femininity is dampened. This is a much more masculine type of powder than say, Serge Lutens' style, but much more powder than Oscar de la Rents's Pour Lui. Maybe similar to Dunhill's Edition, but with a classy NY twist vs a stuffier London style.

Very high class, very dandy, and very rich, but not in a heavy way. Rich in goodness from quality ingredients and masterful blending. Great projection, and wonderful longevity for this genre.

Ultimately, it's not my bag so I won't seek out a vintage bottle. But I will enjoy the sample, and my olfactory experience has been broadened.

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

As the name implies, a fresh Terre De Hermes. Very nice to have an Eau Fraiche last all day.

Also, its lighter than the EDP, so it does even better in high heat with humidity.

8.5/10

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

Not my bag to smell like a high end beer was spilled on a generic, lacquer sealed table, but maybe some enjoy that. I would've hoped for more in the drydown, but nope, pretty linear; just yeasty beer.

Projection and longevity were average for the house, so you don't get the usual Mugler benefit of beating everyone in the grocery store over the head with your scent. Which is probably a benefit, as you might be cited for Public Intoxication.

Maybe this cup of tea, or brew, is for you, but I expect more from this house.

Volutes Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

A sweeter type of M7 on my skin. Very good quality, but stays way too close to my skin for my tastes. Stays fairly linear, which is fine because this has a pleasant vibe.

Ultimately, I would like others in my vicinity to enjoy this as much as I do; but alas, they cannot. That should make it a neutral, but the scent is of such good quality that I can't bring myself to do that. At least I am able to enjoy it throughout the day, as wafts continue to greet me for 8 hours+. Just wish it projected some.

7.5/10

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Wonderful blend of spice, accept my skin pulls too much clove. Masterly blended, good longevity for a Creed, and decent silage, again, for a Creed.

I only wish the clove would calm down, but YMMV.

07th March, 2020

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

One of the best "green" opening and mid flavors I've ever tried, but the version I sampled had too much vanilla in the base for my tastes. I prefer the drier "green" fragrances, but YMMV.

High quality product with great blending, would sure love to smell what the original release was like...

6.5-7.0/10
06th March, 2020

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

My favorite chypre, lovely scent. Better dry down than CPM, and lasts much longer.

18th February, 2020

M7 Oud Absolu by Yves Saint Laurent

Hollowed out version of the original, but still pleasant enough. Much easier on your wallet than the original...
18th February, 2020

That Man by Revlon

Very satisfying chypre, I actually enjoy this more than Chanel Pour Monsieur vintage. Isn't as complex, but more enjoyable.

Well worth the price of admission.

13th February, 2020

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Smells pleasant at first, but after 8 hours of linearness, my stomach turns from something deep down sickly sweet. It's not noticeable at first, but it's just too much, even in an office environment and out of the heat.

Between this and the Platinum Egoiste, it's getting hard to find a summer resistant office friendly scent that doesn't turn my stomach...

For vetiver, I'll stick with Kenzo Air Intense and Lalique Encre Noir.
13th February, 2020

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Really getting to me after 7 hours of repetitive, linear, aquaticness. The sweetness is not edible, and not noticeably cloying, but after so long it really needs to stop!. And I eat frog legs, gator, raw oysters, sashimi, sushi, etc...

Well blended, but boring, pedestrian, and done before a thousand times.

Great for Mad Men types, maybe?

Pass me the Boss, Ho Hang Club, or Woodcut and get me out of this 90's commercial nightmare, pronto!
05th February, 2020

Woodcut by Olympic Orchids

Awesome woodie, smells like I came in from sawing pines in the backyard, but without the sweat. I don't get much oak, but maybe the supporting role keeps it hidden?

Cedar is detectable, but not overpowering. The pine weaves in nicely. I don't get the burnt sugar, which is good, I think sweetness would detract from this elixir. As would too much vanilla, which is hidden from my nose as well. Maybe these, along with the oak, simply prevent the cedar and pine from overwhelming the senses?

Built on the "house sauce", which Olympic Amber had as well. But I like this base juice, so that's a plus for me.

Lasts all day, and although leaning linear, I do not grow weary of the scent. I get to enjoy this blend for 12+ hours.

Wonderful product from a great house, FBW in my opinion.

4.75/5.0!
31st January, 2020

Le Club de Balenciaga / Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

Less honey & civet(urine) than Boss (no number one),
not as dark as Dali Pour Homme,
sits perfectly in the middle with good blending, quality ingredients, and additional notes.

My splash bottle decanted into an atomizer was lacking in longevity, but with only 2.5 sprays maybe I just needed another full squirt.

4.5/5.0. Worth every penny at today's prices.
31st January, 2020

V pour Homme by Valentino

A stunning example of the tragedy of modern perfumery:

Safe
Inoffensive
Bland
Generic
Faint

A tad powdery, but not in the classic dandy barbershop fashion.

So faint I must bury my nose in it.

Soft and feminine.

Glad this one bit the dust, let this unicorn fly away.

1.5-2/5

14th January, 2020

Olympic Amber by Olympic Orchids

Awesome performance and longevity, one spray lasts all day.

The transitions are subtle, but also last all day, so it stays interesting. From smokey, to resinous, and back again.

The smoke is never burnt smelling, and the Amber is never powdery. A wonderful build, with quality ingredients.

Very satisfying, an outstanding scent. Only detraction would be, I think this may be limited to cooler/colder weather. YMMV.

4/5 or higher
09th January, 2020

Armani Eau pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Almost a neutral, and solely for the strength. Which is terrible. And I sought out a vintage bottle.

However, the scent itself is fabulous! Soapy-ish, but not powdery. Lemony, but not abrasive. Spicy, but tame. Clove is listed, but dialed way back.

This is very classy, very office friendly, and very versatile. Quality juice, just needs some oomph behind it.
03rd January, 2020

Bijan for Men by Bijan

This is a cross between Chanel Pour Monsieur and Lauder for Men, but I'm not sure of the vintage of my bottle so YMMV.

Loud opening, and "classic" or "dated", though not powdery. Monster projection for an hour or less until it draws near. Then maybe a 3ft scent bubble.

Even while clearing land and burning brush, I could smell this 8-9 hours later.

I prefer Lauder for Men, but I'll take Bijan for Men over Chanel Pour Monsieur. 6.5-7.0/10

02nd January, 2020

Rush for Men by Gucci

Pros: A pleasant incense aroma that's not challenging. I get a hint of vetiver to boot.

Cons: Poor longevity on skin, average on clothes. Linear. Prohibitively expensive for what it is.

At a $30-$40 per 50ml price point, maybe a buy.
01st January, 2020