Reviews by davidcalgary29

Albatross by House of Matriarch

It's fine...but marine and salty notes are buried beneath powdery florals that dry down to a pleasant, unmemorable odour. One of my least favourite marine/aquatic frags; it's perfectly fine, but I'm much happier with Oud Minerale or Squid.
03rd October, 2020

Cyllene by La Curie

It's the smell of the commercial greenhouse you visit eagerly in Spring before it's warm enough to plant your garden; an intoxicating mixture of florals with damp, rich earth and a general mossiness. Not as animalistic as Faunus, or with as much hemlock as Geist, but it's a close relative of both, and probably the best of all of them. I'm going to save this for the depth of winter when I'm desperate for the scent of green growth and spring flowers.
21st August, 2020

Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by Tom Ford

This is a nicely dry, dark, and spicy masculine scent that's thankfully not sweet. I certainly agree that this evokes the scent of "hot peppers" -- or at least their dried and smoked seeds -- but that's a pretty compelling profile. Recommended if you prefer the drier and more bitter end of the TF spectrum.
02nd August, 2020

Encre Noire by Lalique

Opening blast of sharp, jagged peppermint overwhelms more pleasant cedar undertones. I thought it might just have interacted poorly with my skin chemistry; I spritzed a (female) co-worker, who grimaced and said "it's very antiseptic -- something you'd find at the dentist's". She's right, too.

The jarring opening notes take a good while to fade. The drydown is very pleasant, and subtler, more complex tones emerge. It's just not worth it, though, to power through the first three hours smelling like cheap toothpaste. Very disappointed in this.
27th May, 2020

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I've been desperately trying to like this fragrance since I bought a bottle last year. While I enjoy the opening notes, the scent quickly becomes claustrophobic and, to my nose, very Madam with a pinch of mothball. I was expecting a more masculine scent, and I dislike the florals here. I do wear it about once a month, but it's just not up to par for me with the other classic Creed fragrances.
08th May, 2020 (last edited: 16th May, 2020)