Reviews by Reventon

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

This is enjoyable, interesting and evocative for me, but will not be for everyone. Tuscan Leather kicks off with a photorealistic rendition of new car leather, cocaine and raspberry. Itís brash, unashamedly synthetic and in your face in a manner I particularly enjoy, in the same way that many people find getting a whiff of petrol to be pleasant.

As the alkaloid/diesel top dies down it turns into a mixture of spicy hide with a solid chemical base that never seems to let its opening go away completely. For a 2012 batch performance is strong lasting over 12 hours, sillage is tight and dense.

Itís simple to describe, easy to like, but challenging to justify a full bottle at Private Label prices is dicey.... for one simple reason.

Fahrenheit.

If Fahrenheit is a hardworking, modest, industrialist millionaire, Tuscan Leather is his depraved, entitled trust fund douche bag son. Amazing execution and all, is Tuscan Leather worth triple the asking price of the father of this style?

Still a definite thumbs up and Iím very happy with my decant. But if you havenít referenced Diorís masculine classic, that ought to be your jumping off point.
20th May, 2020

Mousse Illuminťe by Rogue Perfumery

Ye gods... this is exactly what I want in a fragrance. Bitter, green, mossy, reminiscent of shaving cream and soap with a dry herbal bite. The artemisia in particular is just a gorgeously rendered note, but this is so much more than the sum of its parts.

Whilst totally unisex, so much of this resonates as classic masculine, not just because of 80s powerhouse level performance and the barbershop feel (along with a laurel note that ties this to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme)... but also because the dry herbal effect in the dry down is eerily reminiscent of the aroma of a scotch and water my dad poured for himself.

It probably wonít convert you if you donít like a soapy bittergreen vibe. But if you do, get your hands on some. Itís heavenly.
05th May, 2020

FougŤre L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery

Wow. From other reviews I went in expecting something that was a citric variation on Green Irish Tweed... theyíre similar but so different.

For starters, the opening to this is green without being shrill. The bergamot used is an old school, powdery, gentlemanly style that reins in the galbanum quite nicely and transitions smoothly to geranium. The citrus hangs around as an undercurrent without overtaking the opening.

I was expecting a dry, bracing kick and taken completely off guard by the lack of piercing qualities, then delighted by how this develops. During the dry down, the GIT comparisons really begin to make sense - beautifully restrained masculine florals with a peck of sandalwood. The sandalwood is incredibly subtle and not really discernible as a distinct note floating on its own, which makes sense - Mysore sandalwood is perilously expensive... and Fougere LíAube is not. Simple economics dictate Manny canít be using a whole lot in each blend.

Words kind of fail me going further into the wear. There is oakmoss and it is good. Then my brain go melty with happiness.

This is much more than the sum of its parts. If youíre a big fougere fan or like verdant fragrances, you should at least get a sample... or just go hard and buy it. Itís fucking awesome.
04th May, 2020

Dirty by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

This is just a really nice, bracing aromatic fougere and as many have said, the name is a total misnomer. Thereís no reason a lady couldnít enjoy this, but Dirty intentionally plays to a hundred years of masculine perfumery tropes with its ďbackyardĒ, guerilla vibe and does so exceptionally well.

The opening is remarkably straightforward - if youíd like your shot of morning vigor by way of mint and tarragon, then please step right up sir. To me, this is the organic hippy spiritual cousin of Líeau DíIssey... hereís an uppercut of FRESH!!! Wake up!!!

The backbone of this fragrance is text book fougere (if a bit light on the oakmoss) with some neroli and sandalwood thrown in to give it a soapy, soft dry down and it just works. The spearmint never really goes away, which gives this some true character and keeps it in its own realm - if you donít like mint, this isnít for you.

If you do like a brisk and fresh finish sans aromachemicals, then Dirty is entirely on point. You can notice the slightly rough quality to the blending, but it doesnít detract from enjoyment.

I generally donít dig the hipster vibe and general aesthetic of Lush shops... Iím a bit too cranky and curmudgeonly in my outlook to enjoy it. But some of the things they make really win me over, and this is one of the nicer examples.
16th February, 2020

Fahrenheit Parfum by Christian Dior

Took a few wears for me to come around on this one. Initially the lavender came off really harshly with spice and booze... granted, this was also at the tail end of summer. Cold weather is transformative... it really elevates this to another level. Also, Clockwork Aliceís observation that this leans unisex, if not slightly femme, makes perfect sense. Doesnít put me off wearing it, I just see this as Fahrenheit that can be shared with greater ease.

The first ten minutes of application are still my least favourite, but as this develops on skin in colder weather some magic happens. As the screeching lavender and pepper get kicked off stage, this goes a little umami on my skin, almost vaguely reminiscent of boozy, violet leaf soy sauce, which then falls into the leather jacket accord from the EDT.

The vanilla and benzoins in the base form a lovely anchor with the patchouli and woods, and the dry down becomes what Iíd probably best call a ruggedly smooth experience. Itís good, leans gourmand without going gooey and never quite gives up its bite.

This goes in a couple of different directions before finally settling into a solid accord, but when it does itís stunning.

Not a favourite for me, because it falls short of the mark left by the EDT. It does fill a cold weather gap for lovers of the DNA, but still leaves me feeling a little unfulfilled. Still a solid thumbs up.
09th February, 2020 (last edited: 03rd March, 2020)

Terre d'HermŤs by HermŤs

Excellent. Modern classic for a reason. Itís masculine and mature, but not at all brutal or belligerent. Very much the grandson of Guerlain Vetiver.

Personally I prefer the TDH Parfum for itís simpler, beefier take on the accord, less of an Orange pith smell (I could swear I get bigarade, but that could simply be grapefruit and geranium interacting) and amplified mineral flint, but the EDT is a more friendly choice for hot weather.

As expected the EDT also has more pronounced top notes and better projection. My recommendation is to just have both and compare them.
03rd February, 2020

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Undoubtedly lovely, if a bit lacking in longevity. Definitely crowd pleasing and well crafted.

The initial feeling I get from the opening is grassy - the neroli has been beautifully dialled down to give an underlying current of juiciness and the bergamot and petigtain are both really light and upliftingly green. The bergamot especially is not heavy handed, dry or bracing.

There's an extra something there as a ghost note that I think a lot of people are picking up as vetiver leaf because of the similarity between Mugler Cologne and Oritginal Vetiver. I don't know that I get enough of the sharp, vegetal or earthy qualities to make that leap myself, but I can definitely see the possibility. It could be the impression gets created by basil and other herbs, I just don't have an educated enough nose to make a definite call.

The overall impression is undoubtedly pleasant, especially when that lovely waxy soapy note hits in the heart. This is my new desk drawer favourite - on a hot day I can smell fresh, clean and bright in an instant.

As a comparison to Original Vetiver, the two scents are quite different. Yes, they both have orange blossom and a green, clean and soapy vibe, but the Creed has its vegetal bite, the ginger out front and much more heft from the woods, base and concentration.

Thumbs up for sure.
01st February, 2020

Concentrť D'Orange Verte by HermŤs

My new go to for the height of summer. The bigarade note in the opening is much more restrained than in Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, and as a result reacts much more favorably with my skin. The overall effect of the opening is a really zingy burst - it's just like green orange peel being flexed under your nose to kick up a fine spray of oil.

The lemon then briefly asserts itself, giving the scent a slight candied edge - not at all dissimilar to Eau Sauvage's opening, just with this candied lemon element dialled down and blended more gently back into the green orange accord.

This is fleeting, as soon the mandarin and aromatic green elements begin to float up and beckon for your attention. This is all extremely translucent and subtle and makes for a beautifully rendered opening.

Past the opening, I just get a really nice minty greenness, a sharp aromatic leafy scent (I'll assume galbanum from reading ZC's review) with hints of citrus threading back in and out. I've never smelled blackcurrant buds before, just the unripe fruit, so I wouldn't even know what to look for.

What I can say is that all the way through its brief life, this is a pleasant, uplifting and extremely enjoyable fragrance.

Linear? Of course. But that's kind of the point. There are times you just want to hear your favourite song on repeat and that's exactly what this is for me - a refreshing walk through a shady orchard on a blisteringly hot day. I live in a climate that gives me plenty of those, so yeah, thumbs up baby.
31st January, 2020

Allure Homme Edition Blanche Eau de Parfum by Chanel

This started as a like and became a love.

Kicks off with a lovely, fizzy opening that my nose initially interpreted for bright mandarin. After reviewing the note pyramid, I could probably separate sharp bergamot from fragrant lemon if I want to... but I donít especially want to. Itís just nice to enjoy. Thereís a really nice sparkle in there - Iím not sure if there are aldehydes or if I simply expect some because itís Chanel.

Soon the effervescent citrus melts into a beautiful creamy meringue accord with the heart and base. Progression on this doesnít have any surprises, the citrus gently fades like melting lemon butter but lingers in traces. I canít tell if thereís real sandalwood in this - partly because Iím a novice, and partly because the blend links everything so smoothly.

If someone with a more educated nose told me this was just javanol and vanillin holding hands with Uncle Vetiver and Aunt ISO E Super Iíd be perfectly happy with that answer. This is just joy in a bottle.

The accord dips a toe into gourmand territory without ever becoming gooey, cloying or unctuous. Ultimately thatís the facet of this fragrance that I really enjoy, just how light and playful it is while also being creamy and comforting.

Was performance sacrificed for this translucent quality? Yep. This doesnít project any appreciable distance beyond a handshake in the first couple of hours then nothing beyond a hug. Who cares? I get a decent six hours wear.

From what I can tell, Chanel took the ďAllureĒ part of the name rather seriously on this one - it seems like itís meant to be a delicious skin scent to excite your partner when theyíre leaning in for an embrace or a quiet word - enlivening, comforting and seductive in equal measure. Thumbs up.
29th January, 2020

Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017 version) by Christian Dior

Just a rock solid and well crafted longer wear and cold weather flanker for fans of the original.

Big caveat - this must be tested on skin. Like with many resins, the aniseed elements of the Elemi were overpowering on a tester but turned to a bright, uplifting resinous green on my skin and helped bring out the candied lemon edge to the opening.

The overall feel to this compared to the EDT is that theyíre Irish Twins - as expected, the Parfum brings a density and richness the EDT lacks, even though it is an objectively bright citric scent. In addition to the EDT feeling more translucent, it also seems to have more nuance, liveliness and artistry, so I do prefer it a touch more.

Having said that, Iím far more likely to wear the Parfum due to its exceptional staying power. Thereís no need to spray heavily, so it represents some serious value. Would probably be cloying in the height of summer, but thatís why you have the EDT. Thumbs up.
29th January, 2020

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It was always going to be tough for Rive Gauche Pour Homme to live up to my expectations. Revered by many folks whose opinions I value, executing a style that is ultimately very familiar and common, it was going to have to make some special kind of impression to justify the investment. Chasing a tin can is not cheap these days.

And boy does it make that impression.

Star anise and cloves are two notes Iím skeptical of in fragrance, because one of my staple childhood meals was beef mince and peas cooked with star anise on a bed of rice steamed with cloves. Turning my comfort food into high class shaving cream? How the f**k could that work?

The simple answer is incredibly well. The entire thing is more than the sum of its parts and far better than my ability to describe it. What I will say is that projection is light and polite, sillage noticeable enough to garner some compliments and performance is good enough to linger through a cold shower.

Check out Zealot Crusaderís review for an excellent technical breakdown. All Iíll say is that between my dad being a Brut man and the culinary notes of my childhood being so beautifully incorporated, this has overwhelmed me. Easily my new favourite.
28th January, 2020

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

Definitely interesting to own as a reference piece and night time novelty. For some reason, despite not having a boozy note, this immediately reminds me of herbal licquers. My impression of the pine is that it's a nice, warm dark green.

To be honest I doubt I'll ever wear this our of the house. As much as I love herbal and green aspects normally, the medicinal, licquerish edge this has in my mind just isn't something I feel like I could rock in public.

Having said that, I really like it, I don't regret the purchase (particularly not for the price) and I think it's worth having a sniff. Thumbs up.
26th January, 2020

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Damn this is good. I'm challenged to add something useful to the dialogue because we've got some really, really good analytical reviews below (especially from Zealot Crusader, as usual). I'll try to give my take as a new hobbyist on the current formulation and some of my emotional responses to it.

First of all: I love me some violet leaf. I opened my box of Fahrenheit with great anticipation because I'd read of the famed barrel note and was keen to have it give me a rowdy elbow to the nose.

I was somewhat surprised that my first impression of Fahrenheit was the cucumbery aspect of violet leaf, which bloomed into something metallic/floral and then went to full on diesel blast (not unlike opening a bag of good Charlie in my more wayward days). Not exactly what I expected, but dear Jeebus do I love it - the tiny little nuances within those big, bombastic accords are where the true artistry of Fahrenheit really comes out.

If I'm honest, I don't get many individual notes, but as Mister Surgery has eloquently said, I don't think that's the point of this.

The opening, to me, kicks off like someone using a steel muddler to make a Hendricks and cucumber martini in a workshop. As you hang around and sip the drink (probably poured into a reds plastic cup for irony), the smell of their leather jacket and its grass stains drift through your awareness. This is a good day of drinks, friendship, talking shit and working on cars bottled for your consumption.

Hendricks, for those unfamiliar with it, is a scottish gin composed with only juniper, rosewater and cucumber in the mash bill. Fahrenheit actually reminds me a lot of one of my friends who's a gin nut... he studied mechancial engineering whilst working as a motor mechanic, so the picture being created by the perfumers literally conjures a character straight to my mind.

That's probably what contributes to the picture I have of Fahrenheit being intelligent and having real depth to go along with its brashness and roguishness. I think a good part of that impression is the genius of the construction as much as it is my emotional impression, but there's no doubt that for me this isn't a like, it's a definite love.

Projection and performance are wonderful and I can attest that the current iteration is excellent. I'm now intrigued to sample vintages to see what a more profound barrel note feels like, but I doubt I'll enjoy this version any less. Emphatic thumbs up.
26th January, 2020

Smuggler's Soul by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

It would be hard for me to hate something thatís sounds like it should be Han Soloís signature scent, but there is also a good juice to be had with Smugglerís Soul. Like Mr Solo, itís a bit rough around the edges, but is rather a lot of fun too.

Super clean green opening, floral in the heart without being Uber-dandy and the base has a touch of smoke to go with the woods. Most scents that develop in this fashion will win me over, but few will have such an abundance of naturals.

The transitions arenít smooth as it develops through the day, which I would assume is a sign of the amateur blending, but the individual notes are nice and there is an apparent lack of fixed aromachemicals beyond a dash of coumarin (and maybe a peck of something else I canít distinguish). The rosewood in particular is impressive, well rounded with a hint of cedar-like bite.

Itís also not great when smelled directly over skin, but lovely when itís left to develop and waft up to you, so I would advise spritzing your chest hairs and clavicles with abandon. Solid thumbs up.
16th January, 2020

4711 Echt KŲlnisch Wasser by 4711

Bought this as a reference point, thinking perhaps Iíd keep it in my desk drawer, but itís probably going to be more for scenting my sheets and pillow cases. As everyone has said, longevity is non existent and the fragrances that 4711 has inspired make more practical purchases... this was a cheap investment in my own education and entertainment.

Oddly it wasnít the citrus that hit me first off with 4711, it was the neroli, lavender, rose and rosemary, in an almost Ur Barbershop accord. This could be because I was expecting a shotgun blast of lemon that simply wasnít there, so the bracing herbs and uplifting florals took me totally off guard.

On a second wear, the bergamot and lemon really sang, so Iím guessing my first reaction was caused by olfaction being affected by my expectations. After a bracing opening, the citrus is generally very light, almost translucent, if that makes sense. Same for the rose... itís feather light, smoothly blended and just rounds out the whole mix.

The entire feel is totally unisex and a touch dandy, so itís not for the office drawer. But to wear around the house and splash on my bed and furniture, absolutely. Thumbs up, but donít expect a fragrance with genuine utility - for a modern take on the genre with serious legs, Iíd take Dunhill Icon.
13th January, 2020

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Really delicately balanced, warm and enjoyable scent. Itís not daring or provocative, but is exceptionally well crafted. Fresh citrus, seductive spice and very soft tobacco, leather and woods give it an extremely classy finish.

Given you can practically steal it from a retailer these days, thereís a lot to love.
09th January, 2020

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Modern masculines from Paco Rabanne are not something I enjoy. One Million and itís flankers all choke me out, the Invictus line fills me with the burning fury of a thousand suns and my one bottle of Black XS from my twenties elicited a solid ďMeh.Ē

The original Pour Homme is another story altogether. This is the first aromatic fougere Iíve purchased and it was love at first smell. My bottle is the modern formulation, but itís still incredible.

The opening is reminiscent of faberge brut... in the most complimentary way possible. The bracing hit of sage and rosemary (And I think bergamot, even though itís not listed) is gorgeous and the laurel adds a roundness that I really enjoy, it seems to pair up perfectly with the lavender and geranium. The development from the bracing opening through the soapy, powdery phase is gradual, rather subtle and just feels logical and beautifully done.

My favourite element, though, is undoubtedly the tobacco. It initially has a dry, papery quality that reminds me strongly of the note in Guerlain Vetiver and melds really smoothly with the honey, amber and musk in the base to give a sensation that is mostly rich, smooth and clean, with only a hint of sweetness and bitter dryness.

The only complaint one might raise is that this does smell old school. I think thereís enough retro chic in the fougere genre to give this some legs and hipster cred, but even without that, I donít care. I can live with smelling old when it smells this damn good.
08th January, 2020

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

This is just a lot of fun. Nice, juicy opening and a soft, dapper dry down with a hint of pepper. Feels buttoned down and classy but has a nice, uplifting energy to it.

Looking at the note pyramid, I would have expected a slightly drier and more bracing opening, but Carlos Benaim went in a different direction than I expected and gave it a really bright, rich and juicy start that puts a smile on my face, then married it to a very smooth, comforting dry down.

As many have said, the bottle is just fantastic and for its price point its hard to really dislike this. It's agreeable and people pleasing without feeling boring or completely derivative. Big thumbs up.
27th December, 2019 (last edited: 30th December, 2019)

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Sorry for the verbosity. This ended up being more impactful on me than I expected.

Unusually for someone born in the early 80s, I never got much exposure to this scent, because it just wasn't my dad's deal. Mum would occasionally splurge to get dad Farenheit or Drakkar Noir, but generally speaking my Dad is a Brut guy.

So, I was a touch surprised when I went to visit Mum and Dad recently and saw bottle of bright magenta Joop! adorning the bathroom sill. The juice is literally the exact shade of one of my favourite crayolas from my childhood and very, very close to one of my sister's favourite skivvies. I got hit with an immediate flash of nostalgia seeing it.

Sweet, rich and unapologetically fruity and floral, this is just not what my dad would have worn back in the late 80s/early 90s when he was working in finance. Now that he's too old to bother impressing people and can give in to a bit of whimsy, he'll use it on occasion for his own entertainment, as will my mother.

And after giving it a test spray, I can see why. This is the olfactory equivalent of an ice cream mountain with every possible condiment liberally poured over the top. Even if I don't see myself wearing it out, the honeysuckle and cinnamon in particular are beautifully done.

Just like the ice cream mountain, after a respectable amount of time you start thinking "Oh god.... there's still so much MORE there..." and the inexplicable joy gives way to some rather justifiable fear.

Still though, I have to give Joop! some big respect for having the nerve to stick with their creative and marketing vision. Let's not forget that when this scent came out, homophobic slurs being exchanged around the water cooler was de rigueur and a lot of what would now be referred to as toxic masculinity was just "How sh*t was."

"Here's some bright pink fruity floral juice. Are you man enough to wear it?"
13th December, 2019

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Love this. I purchased it largely on the strength of reviews here, as usual with Zealot Crusader's featuring a very good technical breakdown. I would recommend his review for an on point analysis, but hopefully I can contribute some useful info.

There are a couple of points where my opinion differs a bit from most others experiences:

Firstly, from my skin this actually has quite nice projection and above average sillage, although the longevity isn't great - to be fair, I adjusted by hitting myself with 6 sprays in the morning, so this could be a contributor. YMMV, so don't assume you'll have this fade to nothing within a couple of hours.

Secondly, it's been an immediate hit at the office, not just for my colleagues in their 40s and 50s, but particularly from two of my colleagues in their early 20s. One is a young lady who adores barbershop smells and the other a younger guy who just likes fragrances in general.

This is natural, complex, fresh and has some depth of character from its bitterness, florals and herbaceous bite while staying total approachable, dapper and fresh. It's friendly and polite and will definitely be a permanent fixture in my collection. Big Thumbs up.
12th December, 2019

Himalaya by Creed

Affable, likeable and very approachable. I will actively seek out another sample of this as it simply didn't stand up and grab me on the first couple of wears, but there is something intriguing there.

Silver Mountain Water's sample was enough to let me know a bottle wouldn't work for me, but with Himalaya I'm just not quite sure yet.

I'm also wondering if batch variation has influenced my sampling - citrus, cedar, sandalwood and ambergris presents as my ideal fragrance based on my tastes.

I definitely like it, just not sure if I like it enough to own it.
24th November, 2019

Sauvage Eau de Parfum by Christian Dior

This one is kind of a meh for me. I was interested trying out a Sauvage EDP sample I got when picking up a bottle of Eau Sauvage... didnít have a big impact on me for all the hype surrounding it.

Itís pleasant, somewhat bright and rounded on top of the ambroxan dollop and performs well, but I just donít feel any great emotion one way or another when smelling it.

Canít see a great reason to purchase it over a bottle of, say, Versace Dylan Blue (or one of a dozen other blue fragrances), unless youíre greatly concerned about that extra hint of peppery brightness and about purchasing a scent that came before its copycat (although youíre purchasing a derivative creation no matter what in that example).

The EDT I sampled on a tester strip seemed a lot more fun, if harsh. I may take a closer look at it, but the EDP just didnít grab me.
18th November, 2019

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Oh dear jeebus. I adore the modern stuff, but vintage is just properly blow your mind amazing.

Whichever way you choose to buy it it, Eau Sauvage is a men's classic that every gent ought to have on his shelf at least once.

The opening is glorious - lemon that dips between presenting perfectly naturally to having a candied edge, cumin and rosemary giving a ruggedly spicy, almost leathery touch and then to me developing into a wickedly smooth finish.

If you haven't given it a try yet, I'd consider starting with the modern formulation to see if you like the DNA, then consider hunting vintage because this isn't exhorbitantly expensive (yet).
13th November, 2019 (last edited: 03rd February, 2020)

Artisan Blu by John Varvatos

I went from a cranky neutral to a solid thumbs up on Artisan Blue over three wears. The first night I tried it, the initial chayote burst came off as piercing and unpleasantly sharp, almost rotten.

In the intervening few weeks, itís possible my nose has improved, or my body chemistry is for some reason more germane to this juice, or that pumping a few sprays to get a bit of air in the bottle has done it some good.

Now itís just simple and enjoyable. The citrus is more pronounced and the chayote makes a nice accompaniment. I never minded the aquatic aromachemicals... the dihydromyrcenol in particular is oddly comforting to me.

I have more hot days than not, so this is a fun, if uninspiring, juice du jour during a long summer. Still, when youíre paying bottom dollar for a solid fragrance, the price/value proposition is quite evident.
08th November, 2019 (last edited: 29th November, 2019)

Viking by Creed

Like andrewthecologne guy, my initial reaction to spraying Viking on my skin was ďhuh, Cinnamon?Ē

Iím honestly shocked itís not listed as a note. Something about the way the pepper, mint and patchouli interacted with my skin definitely gave that impression.

Another wear from my tester may get a better impression from me, but initially all I felt was ďmehĒ .... this isnít a bad scent, it really just doesnít wow me. ironically it has a much better sandalwood presence than original Santal and I do like all of the notes in the composition, so I will give it another day of testing for shits and giggles.

I donít see this getting discounted the way that older creeds do, so I canít come close to justifying the price value proposition.

Unenthusiastic neutral. Just meh.

Original Vetiver by Creed

It took wearing this a few times to understand it, but now that I have Iím seriously considering making it my next Creed on the shelf. I picked up Guerlain Vetiver a few weeks ago and itís been in my rotation since. It kind of set my expectations for an earthy, direct, robust vegetal tone and thatís not at all what comes with Original Vetiver.

Now that Iíve let the fresh cut, vibrant grassy accord have a chance, I love it. The floral notes and ginger have been blended gorgeously to contribute to a really solid overall effect. This scent immediately brings back sense memories of holidays from my childhood, and the soapiness from the iris in the dry down is clean and luxuriant.

Thumbs up. I canít imagine it as a night time scent and itís uniquely suited to spring and summer, but your mileage may vary.

Acqua di GiÚ Profumo by Giorgio Armani

Oddly enough, given my age and preference for freshies, the original Acqua di Gio was just something I never wore. Somehow as an Elder Milennial/Last of Gen X, I skipped straight from CK One to Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Pour Homme, largely because I didn't want to go from one ubiquitous fragrance to another.

The DNA, of course, is familiar... it used to be in all of the places, permeating all of the things. What surprised me is how much fun it is to revisit with its more balanced composition. Right now this has to be one of the most solid all rounders on my shelf and certainly one of the stronger designer fragrances.

Initially I had some doubts about the value, but I've been quietly pleased with my purchase. Thumbs up.

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Very reminiscent of a Lynx/Axe shower gel on the opening... not in a bad way. I used to really love my blue shower gel... but there's just nothing really imaginative or attention grabbing about this scent to me.

Mister surgery hit this on the nose, this is a fragrance that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up.

Still, it's largely likeable, available at some significantly discounted prices if you shop around and much more versatile and user friendly than Eros.

Unenthusiastic thumbs up (Orange Cassidy style thumbs up, if you've seen his work).

Aventus by Creed

Second Creed bottle Iíve purchased, second Iíve been happy with. There have been some great informative reviews, so Iíll try and do something difference and give a novices take to other newcomers:

1) Ignore the BS, toxic masculinity and white noise, just focus on the fragrance

2) Batch variation might be of use to refer to on your second or third bottle, but donít sweat it. I have a 2019 batch that smells great - not super smoky in the opening, leans much more heavily on pineapple and black currant, the birch is understated, but itís definitely balanced. More birch smoke would be nice, and at this price point itís a painus in the anus to know Iíve just missed out, but I have neither the patience nor the budget to go hunting for an elusive unicorn batch. I can live with the slightly fruitier version.

Bear in mind, several long term users report the difference in skin scent may be noticed by the wearer with batch variation, but the overall scent cloud seems to project with a fairly consistent aroma to others.

To keep things simple Iím happy with my purchase, even if Aventus does seem like it would be the signature scent of a modern Patrick Bateman.

I have zero desire to ďconverseĒ with the alpha dude bros who worship at the altar of Aventus, but I can appreciate it for what it is. If you can internally justify the price/value proposition, thumbs up.

Update: After a few months, my bottle has become distinctly smokier. Either itís matured a bit, or my initial anosmia to the birch has worn off. Either way, it makes batch chasing seem irrelevant.
07th November, 2019 (last edited: 16th February, 2020)

Royal Mayfair by Creed

This was a challenging scent to articulate my feelings about. I can appreciate what the aim was, but itís absolutely not for me.

The opening is brash and unapologetic, just a tonne of eucalyptus and the ďginĒ aromatics punching you in the nose. I kind of get a lime pith feel, but itís more harsh than uplifting.

Ultimately itís the floral notes that kill this for me. Itís far to reminiscent of dried rose petals and pot pourri, definitely comes across as a grandmotherly smell to me. I get that not everyone will associate the same sense memories with these notes, but I just canít get past it. Neutral.
07th November, 2019