Reviews by awbrumle

Stash by Sarah Jessica Parker

the better more wearable version of santal 33. This is a woody aromatic. It's warm, it's cozy on a cold day. It's an lovely smell you want to wrap up in.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

floral woody musk. Compliments abound with this scent. The cheaper and possibly better version of NR her. Fresh, powdery, musky. Easy to wear. A no brainer to reach for. I think it's more suitable for day time however their is an underlying of spicy warmth which makes it suitable for night as well. Any setting would be appropriate.

Joop! Femme by Joop!

I wanted to first say I consider this a lighter scent in my collection. But lighter is not the best way to describe it, b/c it comes off strong and memorable. . I think maybe sweeter. It's an oriental woody but that doesn't describe it well to me. I know why I gravitate to it is the musk, civet, oakmoss, patchouli, amber, sandalwood, tonka bean....do I need to say more. It has all the qualities of a chypre which is my kind of scent. I think the best way to describe this is it's a cooler chypre. but there is still something a slight bit off. Something that is struggling with the sweetness...maybe the aldehydes. I don't know. I enjoy it at times but I don't wear it often.

Ambre Royale by Ormonde Jayne

This is an oriental that contains some of my favorite notes. I get an light powdery amber note with touch of floral to make it different. This is an elegant amber that I think is best suited for night time wear and cooler weather.

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

The EDP is an woody oriental. It is not as dark or spicy as I think of when I think of oriental. But this is a great oriental for warmer weather. It has a very unique scent. I can for sure detect both the vetiver and the almond. It is a complex scent that is warm without being overly dark, mysterious or spicy.

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

I can't wear Shalimar. I can wear the EDT of No. 5 but it can still be a little too aldehydic. This is perfect. This is a lighter version of No. 5 and it adds some of the vanilla powder you get from Shalimar. You still get the chanel no. 5 DNA in a more wearable younger version.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

This was my signature scent through college and beyond. This is described as a fruity floral which is not something I would gravitate towards. But the base notes are patchouli, oakmoss and musk which explains why I love this. I'm a chypre girl. this fragrance has more depth than most designer scents. It's a deeper floral than most which is why I enjoy it.

Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone

This fills my oriental need. I just love it. It's an easy way to wear oud. It's not a dirty oud it's a clean oud. I think the bergamot rounds out the oud and makes it a very wearable scent. You also can detect the cedar in the dry down. I can't imagine this being difficult to smell or difficult to wear but it will not be for everyone b/c it is an oud. I wore this on my honeymoon in paris and it has a great scent memory. The longevity could be better but it's a great oud.

Harâm / Farah by Brécourt

The complexity of this scent is crazy. It first is rightly described as oriental spicy. this is what I would imagine an eastern spice market smells like accept cleaner. It doesn't have that grit of most oriental spicy scents. It is the perfect mix of gourmand/oriental/sweet/amber scent. I compare this closely to PDM Herrod. It's just a beautiful warm winter scent.

Rouge Nocturne by Terry de Gunzburg

a light chypre floral. It reminds me of the smell of a makeup counter. The smell makeup would have. It's very light. It's a nice light rose that is grounded by a warm spicy note. I think this is suitable for all occasions. However, I do find it to be more of a "grown up" scent. It definetly pays tribute to some scents from the 80s without the intensity.

Paris-Deauville by Chanel

The perfect summer chypre. If you like chypres this one is perfect. It is a green scent that comes off slightly tarte in the beginning. The patchouli blends so nice with the green that it is a clean light chypre that dries down warm on the skin.

Bronze Goddess Eau Fraîche Skinscent by Estée Lauder

Summer in a bottle. There is a very specific time and place for this scent in my mind. The beach, a beach holiday, a day at the pool. I'm not really going to put it on for anything else but for those few occasions it is perfection. I do think there are dupes out there but you can find this reasonably priced as well.

Santal Majuscule by Serge Lutens

An easier sandalwood than Santal 33. This comes off sweeter with a sharp ending. I do agree that this is an oriental wood scent. I do find it oriental but not a spicy oriental, more of a sweet oriental. It's Ok. Just not something I gravitate towards in my collection. I never reach for it.

Must de Cartier Gold by Cartier

An oriental floral. I think I would classify this more of a floral musk. Not much oriental to my nose. I don't get anything spicy although it does have a level of warmth to it. It's sweet...but a classy refined sweet. It's a sweet mature scent.

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Not your typical rose. This is a floral woody musk. The wood and musk really ground the floral. I'm not sure how unique it is although I've never smelled anything quite like this. I do think it leans more feminine however, I can see it manageable for a male as the wood really grounds the rose. Not much longevity, not much silliage but nevertheless a nice non offensive scent.

Coco Noir by Chanel

This is an oriental Woody fragrance. When I first smelled coco noir I instantly bought it for my aunt who has worn Red by Giorgio Beverly hills for years. I thought that it would be perfect for her. Now when I smell it I smell mostly a darker coco mademoiselle. If you want something a little deeper and sexier this is it.

Magie Noire by Lancôme

My all time favorite. I have vintage and I have the new one. I find the vintage more intense and the new one slightly lighter. This scent is interpreted differently by everyone. I even saw someone classify it as clean/fresh. that doesn't come to mind for me. This is my favorite kind of fragrance "chypre floral". 80s shoulder pads boss. My mom and my aunt wore this so the memories are all around. This may be my most perfect scent. It's what I compare all other to. It's got a warmth that some chypres don't have and the nice green note rounds it out nice so that it isn't too warm. I instantly gravitate towards this in the winter; however, it's an all season scent for me. It's what fragrance is supposed to smell like. I think you could wear this for a day at home....to be...to a wedding...to a formal affair...to a night on the town...to work. it's just stunning.

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

I bought blind and found that I enjoyed it. This is labeled as an oriental vanilla. Not sure it feels oriental to me. It for sure is vanilla. It's a non offenseive easy to wear gourmand that is nothing special and what you would expect from a celebrity/cheapie. I like gourmands find this to be ordinary/typical. However, that's not a bad thing. It's easy to wear. Sometimes I can't handle sweet gourmands (like my body has started rejecting Angel EDP as too much). I would imagine if you walked into high school in the winter you would smell this everywhere. I think it's youthful and not one of my scents I gravitate towards. However, one youtuber said it's perfect to wear to bed. I would agree. Great warm cozy scent when you need that. Staying power is not good. But it's soo cheap....spray alot and often.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

the perfect unisex clean scent. This truly smells like a shower. I don't find the vetiver to be too intense. It is probably one of the lightest vetivers. It starts out very citrus but dries down more aromatic soapy.

Perfect for super super hot weather. As a female, I would not wear this many places as it just doesn't suit me (I live warmer chypre or orientals) however, when I want a light clean scent in the summer(for daytime) this is where I go. If you are looking for something similar to DG light blue without smelling like everyone else you should look to this.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

While I've worn both the EDT and the EDP, I find I like the EDT better. This is a sweet musk. If you want to try musk out this is the easy way to do it. This is a floral woody musk which is one of my favorites. Well my favorite would be a woody musk but the florals really cause this to be a nice clean sweet scent. It's very very girly...quite feminine. I find it easy to wear and non offensive. I really can't imagine an occassion that this scent would not work for. It's a beautiful day time scent that can evolve into evening where. It could easily be a signature scent.

Prada La Femme by Prada

I purchased this after a youtuber classified it as "expensive smelling". I don't normally gravitate towards designer scents as I find alot of them have the same DNA.

This is an oriental floral which is not what i think of when I smell this. This scent is not warm at all which is what i equate with oriental. I also don't find it overly floral.

This scent is complex for a designer scent; however, I don't think it would ever be confused for a niche scent. I think the vanilla grounds it into a possible gourmand, but it is truly lacking in warmth that you find with most vanilla. Bottom line, if you want something lighter, atypical and complex for spring and summer this is your girl. While I would not reach for this for night time wear, I think you could wear this for most anything. It's one of my no brainer scents. When I don't know what to wear I reach for this knowing I will smell good and I won't offend anyone.

Gris Dior / Gris Montaigne by Christian Dior

This scent is greener in the opening and dries down a little more intense in Patchouli and rose; however, this is not your typical patchouli scent. It is lighter for patchouli and I find it lighter and sweeter for a chypre. If you have don't love patchouli but would like to dip your toe in it more this is a great scent for that. I also find if you are new to Chypre this is also a good scent to try out. This is catagorized as a chypre floral (similar to Magie Noire from Lancome). It's nothing like MN. I find it much fresher and cooler. I find it extremely complex and would classify it as a masterpiece. However, not really one I gravitate towards in my collection. I'm not really sure the reason for that. I think it's b/c it a little more floral than I like.

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

I really enjoy this. Not your typical JM, but typical of JM intense line but on the lighter side. If you like Amber you will enjoy this. However, it is a lighter amber and is not as warm as most. This is so easy to wear and is a no brainer. It's an easy grab and go scent, perfect for most all settings. I find it beautiful for day or evening wear, however, I personally would not wear this for formal wear or a special occassion. while it is beautiful I just don't find that it has enough complexity for that. It's a safe blind buy and I think would make a great gift.

Crystal Noir by Versace

Took me by surprise. I try not to gravitate towards alot of designer scents b/c alot of them tend to have the same DNa. This one really surprised me. For starters it's classified as a floral oriental which is good for me as I gravitate towards chypre and orientals (I basically enjoy smelling like an 80s shoulder pad boss). I don't tend to gravitate towards sweet smells, however, this is sweet and while not in the notes it has a hint of coconut which causes it to lean gourmand which I enjoy.

I have the EDT version and I have heard that it is different than the EDP. Like a reviewer said, this is the perfect night time scent for a stroll on the beach. I have a hard time with summer scents as I don't love fresh, citrus or overly floral scents. This is my perfect summer scent. It's got a nice warmth that grounds it but does not make it too much. Everytime I wear this I get compliments, even from strangers. While I would gravitate towards this in the summer months, I think it's suitable for all seasons and for all settings. I would rock this to work, to the beach, to the pool, a night in, a night out and a formal event.

I don't find it's overly sandalwood either. I think Santal 33 it overly sandalwood and this doesn't come close to that. It's nicely grounded in the sandalwood and vanilla.

Cloud by Ariana Grande

Purchased solely b/c I heard it was a dupe of BR 540 (this was before I purchased BR). And basically I fell in love with this in it's own right. It's not as complex as BR. The BR DNA is there but it's easier to wear. It's smoother. I also find the coconut to be more prominent than in BR which I absolutely love for the summer. I also have the body mist which I greatly enjoy spritzing on after a bath or shower.

These scents (sweet scents) are not what I gravitate towards. I'm much more chypre, oriental type girl. I like to smell like vintage boss lady with shoulder pads. But this one I reach for with ease when I really don't want to think about what I'm wearing. I don't think I would gravitate to this for night time or anything that requires a lot of "sophistication", it's just not that type of scent. however, it doesn't offend, would be good as a daily scent, appropriate for office wear and appropriate for the beach/summer. Also, I can wear this on a cozy day/night in during the colder months. I really don't think anyone would not like this scent.

Secret Amber by Jovan

This scent absolutely wowed me! I'm a big fan of Hermes Ambre Narguille and Christian Dior Ambre Nuit. Those loves evolved into Parfume de Marley's Herod and Brecourt Farrah. I also am a fan of JM Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. As you can see all these listed are very very pricey so I decided to pick this cheapie up and I was amazed. At first spray I was absolutely shocked at how close it is to all these fragrances especially Hermes. It is such a warm, classic, easy to wear scent. it sits nice on the skin and is reminiscent of colder days curled up by the Christmas tree. It is the perfect holiday scent; although I will rock a good amber in the middle of summer. It is not too overpowering and it's longevity is lacking in comparison to the others listed above however, that is where the price comes in to play. At this price you can decant this scent, throw it in your bag and reapply with no problem. It makes me want to try others from Jovan.

Explosive by Etienne Aigner

NOT FOR EVERYONE!! I would not suggest you blind buy this, however, I did. After watching Sebastian on YouTube talk about this as a top chypre cheapie, I bought it on the spot.

I actually am not a fan of Cliniques Aromatics Elixir. I enjoy Coriandre and I love Magie Noire. I agree with the other reviewer that this is hard to wear and not for the faint at heart. It is dark. So very dark but if you like chypres and even if you like Orientals I think you will be amazed by this. It is truly one of a kind. It for sure contains an adelhyde note that you detect at the opening but then it evolves on the skin into a glorious vintage style chypre.

These kind of scents are not made anymore. I have worn this to work (b/c I will basically wear anything to work) and it wore well throughout the day but I think this scent would be best in the cold weather and at night. Not sure about a date night b/c it is strong and like I said it's not for everyone. For me it's something that I wear for myself to enjoy and don't worry about anyone else.

Coriandre Eau de Toilette by Jean Couturier

I purchased this as a result of sebastion on YouTube talking about it being such a good chypre cheapie. I gravitate towards Chypres and could not get over the price of this. This was a blind buy that did not disappoint. At first spray it smell like Magie Noire by Lancôme which is an all time favorite for me. Both my aunt and my mother wore that scent so it provides scent memory, however, the vintage version far exceeds the new one. While this scent does at first spray remind me of MN, it evolves into a different direction. It is sharper than MN and colder. Where MN is smooth and has warmth to it, Coriandre goes in the opposite direction. It starts out very strong but becomes tame rather swifty. If you are looking for a nice Chypre for warmer weather I think this is your girl. Plus let's be honest, the price can't be beat on any accord.

Classique Eau de Toilette / Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

I see some fellow reviewers find this to be a heavy scent. I find it lighter. I find it so easy to wear and perfect for any occasion. I would wear this in a corporate setting or to the park on a day off. I would wear this as a night time scent. This scent is easy to pull off. it's not offensive in any way and I find it to be slight powdery which I enjoy. On days when I can't decide what to wear I reach for this. It evolves well for any season. Is light enough for hot days but most definitely sits well in colder weather.

I purchased this for a scent memory as a friend of mine in college wore this in the late 90s. It brought back no memories. Not sure if it's been reformulated or if just didn't remind me. I don't think you can go wrong with this scent.

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I often find myself asking "would I wear this but for the hype?" I still don't know the answer to this. I wore this on my wedding day. I narrowed down to 5 different scents and went with this one b/c a guy said it's the sexiest of scents.

This scent does not equal sexy to me. It equals playful and young. (I married at 40). I don't mean it's immature....I mean that you can be mature and wear this and you won't smell old. (hope that makes sense). This is the opposite of scents that I gravitate towards. I like heavy, chypre, oriental scents. I basically like to smell like what I imagine Joan Collins smelling like on dynasty. But this scent fills a need for me. It fills that sweet spot while being sophisticated at the same time. The complexity is astounding.

Some say it's polarizing. They say they smell it everywhere. I don't. I have only smelled this scent on me. The longevity and silliage are both insane. This just keeps going and going and going. I think it can be worn anytime of year, but feels too "happy" for fall and winter for me. But if I need a pick me up during those months this is for sure something I would reach for.