Reviews by SentSensei

PS by Paul Sebastian

Warm, dry, powdery, spiced vanilla glow. Perfect.

In a great American entrepreneur success story two guys from Jersey create and market a scent on their own and it works out.
I have deep love for Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne. Only Paco Rabanne sits ahead of this for me as far as the best the 1970s had to offer and qualifies as a must have for life in my wardrobe. Its composition presents as classic, not simply'vintage' and is less challenging for those worried about the risk of older frags smelling 'icky' or painfully 'dated'. Also it is absurdly affordable which makes PS one of the best values in all of perfumery.
So to summarize...
Warm, dry, powdery, spiced vanilla glow. Perfect.
22nd February, 2021

Cool Water by Davidoff

Fresh and blue, absolutely perfect and beautiful.
I am incredibly biased when it comes to Cool Water. I love this unabashedly and will defend it's greatness whole heartedly. I wore Cool Water circa 1990- it was really my third fragrance I ever wore after Brut/Brut 33, Polo, and Drakkar Noir. I'm 50 now and due to too many factors to explain I wasn't into fragrances from the mid 1990s until last year. I don't know what kind of 'game' I have now, but there was that time in my early 20s that I seemed to have a little and Cool Water never let me down. Current formula may smell more like a 'knock off' of the original but it's insanely affordable. When I bought this the first time the guy at the fragrance counter kept referring to this as "LPR(liquid panty remover)" and as pathetic and cheesy as it sounds now, 21 year old me sure believed it to be true. I never was victim to the overuse of this and although I think I tired of it in the late 1990s, fast forward 20 years and this is still a revelation. As one of the most important fragrances of all time it must be experienced. Blind buy worthy for that alone. Thumbs UP.
19th February, 2021

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Zino was a fragrance that proved it's worth giving a few wears and some time to fully appreciate a scent before dismissing an initial turn-off. When I first applied, it made me think of a raisin bran type cereal left out until it soaks up all the milk, leaving a sickly-sweet smell that I couldn't fathom actually wanting to smell like. I thought Zino would be the first fragrance I simply wanted to give away. Luckily now, I appreciate the scent as a 'spiced wine'/dry vanillic rose with complexity and I find when I'm in the mood Zino is a unique, classy and amazingly enjoyable scent. Those collecting classics will appreciate Zino and it's uniqueness. Currently inexpensive to the point that a decant is a bad value vs just buying a bottle. If discontinuation ever changes price/availability this would definitely be a try before buy fragrance. Still, this is a unique, interesting, fun, classic fragrance. Thumbs up.
19th February, 2021

Spice & Black Vanilla by Cremo

Cremo has amazing fragrances for the price, typically around $22 for 3.4oz/100ml. I have four and they all are really nice. Spice and Black Vanilla is inexpensive Spicebomb Extreme, and it does it accurately, albeit longevity is relative to the price point. In the long run I may try to collect all 8 or so of their fragrance line as I have yet to be disappointed by any of the four I have(Blue Cedar/Cypress, Bourbon/Oak, Silver Water and Birch, and Spice/Black Vanilla). Definite Thumbs Up for Cremo.
07th February, 2021

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I wore Drakkar Noir in High School around 1996-1988 and switched to Cool Water around 1990. I hadn't smelled this fragrance since, and had no idea what it smelled like. 30 years later here I am getting a chance to smell this once again. I do find that it is likeable, not loveable. It also seems weaker in reformulation which is to be expected. I don't catch the citrus in the top, mostly lavender and herbals than the middle/bottom notes are all a blendy scent that is Drakkar Noir to me. As I am currently in reminisce mode, I am enjoying the reaquaintance with this fragrance. I don't think I will need to wear it often, but it doesn't smell dated to me and since the memory of this once ubiquitous scent has faded for many I can enjoy an occasional wear as long as I don't dress like a time traveler from the late 80s and use terms like 'rad', 'bitchin', and 'righteous'. Thumbs up. Word.
02nd February, 2021

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I'm glad that Zealot Crusader pointed out the strength and quality of the tobacco note in Burberry London as the beautiful cherry tobacco dries down quickly into a superior rich tobacco note that I really like. Along with CK1 Shock for Him this is an outstanding Christmas/Autumn fragrance. Longevity on me was not stellar, so I have a travel spray for portability so I could re-apply if I was out shopping or spending holiday time with extended family. For less tobacco I would go with CK1 Shock, but both are fall/winter winners and not overtly expensive so with the amount of reviews and if the notes appeal to you this would be FB and blind buy worthy. Thumbs up(and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Hannukah, etc...)!
28th November, 2020

Signature : Oud Wood & Dark Vanilla by Axe / Lynx

This has a pleasant vanilla and for $4 it certainly qualifies as the best and most upscale of the Axe line. However that is like being the nicest looking Hyundai Accent. If that's the ride you're stuck with then being the best looking Hyundai helps. A little.

Aspen for Men by Coty

I took a travel size Aspen to New Orleans for a winter business conference around Y2K(I just had to type it that way- remember when planes were supposed to drop from the sky and power grids were toast?). I wasn't wearing fragrances at the time but this really fit the atmosphere as it was cool and rainy just like my home in the Pacific NW. Needless to say, I had an amazing time(Bourbon St!) and this gave me a scent imprint that I still remember. Good times. As far as the fragrance itself, simply put Aspen is ultra cheap Green Irish Tweed. Cool Water is a way better option if you are choosing, both in the quality and complexity of the scent, and in performance. However, Aspen may qualify as the cheapest fragrance that is collection worthy. We're talking the $10 range for 4.2 oz which makes it a no brainer for those that have room for this. Thumbs Up.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

To think this won a FiFi Award in it's original form is amazing to me, as I have a spanking new bottle of the current cheapie formulation. 'Big Red' gum would be an improvement as I would love to pick up more cinnamon. I hate to say this but it does have a lemon furniture polish note that didn't bother me as much until 5 wears in but it's front and center. Looking at the notes, it reads like an amazing fragrance. It simply isn't. When I wear this I feel like I cheated on chores as I smell like this and yet my furniture hasn't been dusted. I have a tough time imagining what this 'should' smell like as an award winning version. I like Halston 1-12 in its current iteration just fine, however. Thumbs Down.

Club de Nuit Intense for Men by Armaf

CDNI for plebian noses like mine is matter of factly, plenty 'Aventus like' as to not require the expense of Creed. I tend to only be able to pick up 'big' notes and whether I wear Aventus or CDNI I get pineapple either way. I was a little disappointed in that as it was comparing these two that made me question the sophistication of my olfactory system overall. That being said this is a great value to allow 'an' Aventus experience without having to pay for actual Aventus. Thumbs Up.

cK one Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

This has to represent one of the best buys for a beautiful autumn/holiday fragrance I could ever imagine. From opening to drydown it's an absolute winner for me. Get it while it's available cheap, and get the big bottle. There is a rich note in the opening that isn't cherry or rose but I'm having trouble with a good descriptive term for it. Nonetheless it is delightful. The last few wears for me have really made me relish the dry down. The choclatey tobacco musk is beautiful. For me I can spray this heavier than other frags which gives me longevity. Thank goodness for us now that this has to be one of the dumbest marketed fragrances ever. I took black sharpie and colored out the absurd green 'shock' on my bottle which was a welcome visual improvement. It's fall in the Northern Hemisphere; if you don't have this and you want a great autumn/holiday frag a la Burberry London get this NOW. Absolutely two Thumbs Up.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Considering where we are at with reformulations of z-14 and 1-12, at least both are available ridiculously cheap. I paid $10 each which for 1-12 is a great buy. I'll leave z-14 for it's own review.
I really like 1-12, it is definitely understated with just a touch of the citrus in the opening drying down into a very pleasant musk glow. It definitely smells like the 1970s, but not in a macho way. For me there is a weird note resemblance to restaurant soda machine water 'funk' that you only pick up from fountain water and soda from say an A&W or other vintage restaurant with lots of orange and brown decor I know that's odd but I thought I would throw that in just in case someone else gets that. I like 1-12, though it's not worth a deep hunt for or a must have. Thumbs Up.

Noble VII Rock Rose by Clive Christian

Any fragrance this expensive is hard to promote as bottle worthy for peasants such as myself. However as a Rose fragrance for 'nobility' it is amazing. I had a vague notion of finding the perfect masculine rose fragrance and this certainly fits the bill, even though there are a gazillion others I have not tried. For me I don't pick up much of an opening it seems to just have this perfect not to sweet, not to dry rose all the way through drydown. Even as a 'masculine' rose it is so beautifully done I imagine this working as a unisex fragrance although I would want to keep it for myself rather than smell it on partner. Unless I find another opportunity to buy this for muuuchhh less than it's typical asking price I'll enjoy it while I have it and explore other options or decant/splits. Rich, elegant rose. Thumbs Up.

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

I have to keep this simple as this fragrance impresses me less and less each time I wear it. Curve never made an impression on me to begin with and Mambo isn't an improvement at all. It dries down into some sort of synthetic 'blah' fairly quickly and the opening is synthetic and pathetic. No matter how many notes they attribute to this, good luck picking anything 'organic' out of this blob. Thumbs Down.

Aramis by Aramis

Aramis(1965)
I pretty much went from Brut33(middle school), Drakkar Noir(High School), and then Cool Water as a young adult. Pretty telling as to the time period! However I somehow had small bottles of Aramis, Polo, and Canoe as well. I never could figure out or wear Aramis, I would smell it on occasion in the bottle as a youngster and it smelled strong and harsh to my young nose. Almost 30 years later I found it in the back of a bathroom cabinet and threw it out as I was not into fragrances - yet. I had to laugh at myself this year as I built my collection and decided I had to have Aramis in it. Ironically I am now so drawn to classic masculine frags, and old enough to pull them off. I probably will always have Aramis around even though I don't wear it frequently, and likely would choose Azzaro if I had to(hopefully I don't have to). Kudos to Aramis for hanging on to any worthy relevance in 2020. Not many/any other castoreum containing frags from the 1960s-1970s can claim that. Thumbs Up.
12th November, 2020

Ted Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Ted Lapidous pour Homme(1978)
I oversprayed this the first time I tried this and those who know this scent will maybe chuckle but other than some vintage Paco Rabanne this is the only vintage original I have. It was like all the sudden a '78 T-top Trans Am pulled up and some macho guy with a gaudy open collar shirt and a leather vest got out and decided I needed a hug. I didn't. He squeezed the breath out of me. Needless to say I was eager to bail on that wearing. Approaching this more cautiously this time out I have to say I am impressed. The opening is really fantastic I pick up a perfectly placed rum note amongst the sage and aldehydes and the leather and musk is really well done. I mean it screams 1978 but does it well. If I ever had the means to search out other disco'd 70's gems I could only hope they would turn out smelling this good. Thumbs Up!
10th October, 2020

Spicebomb Night Vision by Viktor & Rolf

It's funny to me but there seems to be two big points in the other reviews whether up, down, or neutral. That Spicebomb Night Vison is 'generic' because it kinda is, and not Spicebomb at all because it really isn't.They don't say that it doesn't smell good, even in the less favorable reviews because it does indeed smell good. The problem is with it marketed as a Spicebomb flanker, you're paying for another fancy bottle what you could truthfully get similiar scents for what, half the price? I love Spicebomb/Extreme and even though I get the criticism for Night Vision and agree with alot of it I'm going with my nose on this one because other factors aside it smells good. Thumbs up.
08th October, 2020

Eros by Versace

The opening of mint/apple plus a touch of lemon is exceptional and hangs around, eventually giving way to some vanilla in the drydown. I had no preconceptions of Eros going in and was pleasantly surprised. It does strike me as youthful and a good upgrade choice for young men looking to smell classier than drug store body sprays and fragrances. I consider it small bottle worthy and will likely consider repurchase when it's gone. It is a scent that is fresh enough for spring/summer and rich enough for fall/winter. Good for the office if not over sprayed and definitely indicated for date and club use. Thumbs up.
06th October, 2020

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I have to confess that I'm a huge fan of Cool Water and Aspen. I wore them in the early 90's and having revisited/re-purchased them after 20 years of my fragrance hibernation I thought I would scoff at these ubiquitous, over-worn and in the case of CW, insanely over-flanked fragrances. Instead I found I still love them unabashedly. As I explore my love of the House of Creed and wear my way through a decant of Green Irish Tweed I wondered how that all would effect my impression of GIT.

Green Irish Tweed(1985)
I was suprised at the lack of any lemon in the opening, it seemed muted in the opening, only to reappear within the iris/ambergris after awhile. What I thought would be a dissappointing dry down did brighten back up to that CW/Aspen comparison we all hear about ad nauseum. To add my free 2 cents it resembles Aspen more than CW. This is a pleasing classy fragrance whose quality, depth, and ability to project longer and more organically make it a far superior to it's cheaper, infamous comparatives. Considering I have big bottles of Cool Water and Aspen(for about $36 for both) and a small budget for the dozens of bottle worthy scents I want I can't see Green Irish Tweed as FB worthy, yet. It is a must try classic, however, and complete thumbs up.
05th October, 2020

Blue Cedar & Cypress by Cremo

Cremo as a company is known for their shaving products, beard oils, etc...they represent their line as 'barbershop quality' and if I wet-shaved or had a beard/stache to maintain I would be interested in their products. I am an advocate for their body washes and colognes and used them regularly. I would stay away from any other fragrance products(wipes, deodorants) to extend any of their fragrances as they are sadly, weak and worthless.

Blue Cedar and Cypress
I have four of the Cremo cologne line(Silver Water and Birch, Spice and Black Vanilla, Bourbon and Oak, and Blue Cedar and Cypress). BCnC came across to me as the most 'synthetic' and I wear it the least of the four, although I like it for few wears. It is a lemony blast opening then a linear 'chemical laundry detergent' finish that represents wood. As an after shave/after shower fresh and inexpensive barbershop cologne it works well. As Cremo tends to tribute-sketch their fragrances after more renowned scents, I understand this is as well, although I can't recall which one. Cremo colognes are packaged in basic clear bottles, which I always prefer to see the product and level and cost around $20. Personally I recommend Spice and Black Vanilla or Bourbon and Oak as better entries into their line but still an enjoyable cheapie and a Thumbs Up.
04th October, 2020

Intense Black by Lomani

Lomani Intense Black(2014)

Originally this was a price and proximity blind buy, and a successful one. Finding out it is a worthy clone to Royal Oud by Creed is outstanding. I liked Intense Black straight off. Nice opening, the bergamot/lemon is sharp but not bracing, then the cedar and the oud/musk dry down is very synesthetically...'black' which I find very classy. For under $20 it is def Thumbs Up.
03rd October, 2020

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

SMW really was the spark that revived my sense of smell and made me realize just how much I had neglected it for decades. My job required me to visit homes, thousands of them and I subconciously became anosmic. Food, mold, pets of all sorts will do that.

Silver Mountain Water(1995)
Tea, Blackcurrant, musk. Those notes stand out to me and the metallic/inky reference is there. It isn't macho, isn't bright and loud, but has a sophisticated subtle depth. It is a unique unisex fragrance that isn't for everyone, but deserves to be experienced. Thumbs up
02nd October, 2020 (last edited: 01st December, 2020)

Silver Water & Birch by Cremo

Cremo's Silver Water and Birch.

Cheap reflection of Creeds Silver Mountain Water if you consider recreating a classic oil painting using big, blocky kid crayons. I am a big fan of Cremo colognes and have several so that is not a slam. I like this cologne and for around $22 it helps extend my actual SMW. I intend to try Armafs 'Derby Club House Blanche'as a likely better clone, as I have Armafs Club de Nuit Intense Man and that is a great Aventus clone, for those of us that either can't afford Creed or struggle to imagine affording another one when it runs out. Thumbs up.
02nd October, 2020

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

With Farenheit there is such a polarized reaction it is astounding from deep reverence to complete loathing. For the same fragrance. Having learned that some fragrances take a few wears to 'get' and understand in order to enjoy I took the plunge.

Farenheit(1988)
I mow. I have a gas lawnmower. It's old and has grass clippings caked on it. I'm kinda sloppy when I put gas in it. I fire it up and start my first passes and Christian Dior somehow made that the opening of Farenheit. After getting over being totally flabbergasted that my fossil fuel burning mundane yard task has been 'cologned' I have convinced myself to give it some time and a few more wears.

**Not surprisingly, this is now in my top 10. My original 2013 version definitely has a stronger 'fuel' note. The current bottle I just received recently has that initial note toned down in comparison, which is ironically dissapointing since that opening hit me as intense as it did originally, yet became part of the joy of the composition for me. Also the dry down has a slight bit more 'amber-y' almost sweetness vs dry leather of the older version. That isn't a deal breaker but I like the older version better.

29th September, 2020 (last edited: 18th February, 2021)

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

As my collection rounds out I find I get more joy out of finally discovering vintage classics as much as designer/niche frags. Finding a classic fragrance that immediately uplifts ones scent experience to a new level with the exhileration of knowing you've gained a new 'scent pillar' along with a deeper knowledge of the history of fragrances makes for a deeply gratifying hobby.

Habit Rouge(1965)
How classy is this rose? This rose is a perfectly tailored black sport coat, white shirt, proper trousers with fine leather shoes driving a loaded black/deep burgundy 1965 Buick V-8 Skylark or Riviera that has been waxed and detailed to perfection. That is how classy this rose is.

Side note: Discovering Habit Rouge led me to retroactively finally 'get' and enjoy 'Zino' by Davidoff. If I review Zino I will elaborate there.

Habit Rouge was a great discovery and is in my top three. For me I find it's elegance to be addictive and craveable. Thumbs up.
29th September, 2020

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes is one of my top 3 favorites because of the amazing wood notes. The citrus in the opening is my least favorite part. Whereas TdH is chainsawing a live tree and then sticking your nose right into the heart of the tree, Eau Tres Fraiche is spilling orange juice on an nearby stump and smelling that. It's not all that endearing and for me completely unneccessary. Even as a big Hermes fan and TdH fanboy, I have to go thumbs down.
28th September, 2020 (last edited: 14th October, 2020)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

In the Pacific Northwest Puget Sound area there are is no shortage of trees and a plethora of 'chainsaw carvers' that take wood and create just about anything(my folks had a life size Captain Ahab with lantern and a bear cub for some reason). Every September there is the Western Washington(Puyallup) Fair which is one of the largest and oldest in the United States. I remember many times going into the chainsaw carving area where there would be live demonstrations and of course many pieces for sale. Walking into the fresh sawdust and newly cut wood was simply intoxicating, fresh and aromatic. The best representation of that amazing scent...Terre D'Hermes! In fact I had forgotten all about that scent until I smelled TdH, and it was instant love and a guaranteed fave. My nose simply fixates on the wood without picking up much of the opening. One of the best fragrance discoveries I've had and worthy of all praise. Total thumbs up.
28th September, 2020

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Vintage scents, much like music, can transcend time and endure all the cultural shifts to become iconic and relevant to entirely different generations. I had never smelled Paco Rabanne PH and it did strike me as a scent that wasn't love at first sniff. If there ever was a 'soapy' dry-down/base, this was it. I want to profess that allowing myself a few wears before judging this legendary 1973 classic has turned this into a personal fave, a 'comfort scent' that is more for turning in to bed than to wear out and about. I will always have Paco Rabanne Pour Homme in my collection, and find it a happy surprise that the opening and amazing dry down are so addictive and craveable.
25th September, 2020 (last edited: 26th September, 2020)

Dubai Indigo by Bond No. 9

Dubai Indigo

For some reason I feel the need to quote the great George Takei as my first reaction to this scent was 'Oh My'! This is a wonderful scent, absolutely beautiful. On my skin I really pick up the peach/lychee/musk. It is a sweeter scent that many will find leans more feminine, and I realize a lot of men will feel like they can't pull this off as the top with the bergamot is more masculine but the sweetness is not so much. I also could see those same men wanting their wives to have this fragrance because is is so good and they would likely sneak a spray for themselves here and there. I am not even sure as a male that I can actually 'pull this off' either, but I don't care since I'm wearing this for myself and it's one of the best scents I have smelled. The weird thing about a pandemic where people are distancing and wearing masks is if strangers are smelling this they are too close. Asthma makes my fragrance wearing self limiting so I don't get to spray a lot on and I have to be careful. Definite thumbs up, this is amazing.
25th August, 2020

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Wall Street by Bond9

I have to keep this as neutral as the quality of the scent is very good, as with B#9 frags in general. The cuke and sea kelp just aren't my faves off the top, there is some delight in the musk notes for sure, and some sweetness that is pleasant. However for me, the 'marine notes' and sea kelp really stick around and I swear it's like going down to the dock and sticking my forearm into the sea water. I find that impressively done, only I live by the water myself and could simply dip my arm into sea water for free. I've worn this three times now and respect the quality of this fragrance even though it is not my cup of...sea. If you think the notes are to your liking you may absolutely love this fragrance.
25th August, 2020