Reviews by Baseeta

Soleil de Capri by Montale

I love how the sourish grapefruit and kumquat keep this from being too sweet, the white flowers keep it fresh, and the musk and spice give it just a bit of grounding and mystery. I really don't get the haters for this one.

Humboldt by Fueguia

I sniffed this, expecting some tropical, sweet, fruity goodness, but what I got was a bracing, green citrus and a bit of tartness, rounded off with just a bit by a splash of tangerine. This is much better than a tooty fruity cocktail, and I am so happy I made to move to blind buy a decant.

Yesterday Haze by Imaginary Authors

Yesterday Haze takes me back to the indolent days of late summer, early fall, as the sun is going down. The family is sitting idly around at my grandmas house and making casual conversation with bright bursts of occasional laughter. In the golden light of the setting sun, dust motes are clearly visible, the bindings of all the age old books ond the shelf are being warmed, and the ancient wood of the house is giving off it's own comfortable, lived in scent.
I usually don't care for fig notes, but this one is changing my mind. I'm no expert, but isn't that the slightly bitter note that's coming through? All in all, this is a golden, warm, dusty scent, with a rich, deep purple heart.

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens

This is a jasmine bomb, but it has carnation to give it spice, and musk to give it a deeper, just a bit dirty edge. This is my kind of white floral. This isn't this debutantes first rodeo, and she knows what she wants and she's not suffering fools lightly. She is simply rolling her eyes and turning her back on the fumbling idiots and the smug, haughty, pretension. She's real and worth more than all this, and she knows it.

Confetto by Profumum

Sometimes you wake up craving uncomplicated, warm, non sticky sweetness, and unconditional comfort, and sometimes the perfect sample arrives in the mail. I've read a lot of comparisons to Dior Hypnotic Poison, and I can really see this, but IMO, Hypnotic Poison was (is) more cloyingly sweet. (Don't hate on me for saying this. DHP was my signature until I got pregnant). Confetto has more of the musk I crave,with none of the headaches or nausea, making it more similar to Ava Luxe Vanilla Musk than DHP, but as usual, i digress. Today I needed comfort, a very specific comfort, and I found it in In Confetto Profum Roma.

Cuir Fétiche by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

The glove leather and the iris are a perfect combination, kind of a lipstick and upscale leather appeal. The vanilla and the amber keep it accessible and wearable, the ylang ylang, jasmine, and rose keep it very grown up and classy, the musk and the sandalwood keep it sexy, sexy, sexy, sexy. Loving this!

Hummingbird by Zoologist Perfumes

When I was a kid, my grandma taught me how to pluck the blossoms of lilac and honeysuckle and suck the nectar out of them. It's so sweet and so floral, and when I took a breath after spraying Zoologist Hummingbird, I swear I could taste this same nectar. I was expecting this, along with the cherry note I picked up on, but I was not expecting the undertow of musk, sandalwood, and wood notes pulling my down into instant infatuation for this fragrance. I thought this would be perfect for my daughter, but I think this one will be one she has to steal from me.

Macaque by Zoologist Perfumes

Baseeta01/14/17 10:09

This is a joy ride, and I've been wearing it and wearing it and I still feel my words are inadequate, my knowledge of notes lacking. It starts out with a sharp sour apple and what I can only guess is galbanum green. This party quickly settles down into what my inexperienced nose thought was pear or banana or some other soft, lightly scented fruit, but now I'm guessing is jasmine tea mixed with green tea. Frankinsence adds smoke to this, rosewood and cedar keep it grounded, a touch of ylang ylang adds a floral, and drop of honey adds a bit of sweetness. I feel so unworthy and unqualified to write about such a well crafted scent, a scent that shows you so many faces before it settles down to something so beautiful and refined that you will sleep peacefully with your wrist pressed to your nose.

Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve

When it first came out it took me by absolute surprise how instantly and how hard I fell for this one. I was expecting something light and floral, but what happened was a more of an earthbound floral with very sensual undertones. I was broke then, so worshipped from afar. I recently got a mini that has gone a little off, but the drydown is still a rich floral with heady civet, oakmoss, and musk undertones.

Beaver (2016) by Zoologist Perfumes

I'm touched by what a beautiful world this is. This is fresh and green, ozonic, and watery notes conspiring with linden blossom to be light and refreshing, but then, so they don't fly too high, there is musk, dark wood, amber, leather, and castoreum dragging it back to the earthiest or earth. I usually don't care for water and ozone or even something as green as is, but this is held so close and given a breath of intimacy by the darker, heavier animalic notes. This is the reformulation of Beaver, and usually reformulations don't do so well, this one is taking my breath away.

Intense Tiaré by Montale

It's warm, tropical, and dare I say, creamy in a very beach like way.. This is a tropical vacation in a bottle.

Songes Eau de Parfum by Annick Goutal

There's no musk, no civet, no ambrette seed, but I'm finding this sexy in the most sophisticated way. FBW. Va Voom!

Ore by Slumberhouse

I'm just going to restrain myself from using my entire sample today. Ignorance really can be bliss. This is so utterly beautiful. I'm getting caramel and whiskey and wood with just a bit of chocolate. I don't know how the above notes add up to this for me, but I've been in prolonged swoon all day.

Tom Ford Noir pour Femme by Tom Ford

Whenever "Noir" is used in the title of a perfume, I'm expecting something sophisticated, chic, avant garde, with heavy hitting notes like patchouli, leather, oud, pepper - you get the idea. Then came Tom Ford Noir Noir for Women. I never expected such a warm, sweet, soft, yet still mature fragrance. This one has vanilla and amber, but before it sinks into tooth ache inducing sweetness, rose, ginger, sandalwood, citrus and jasmine bring it up to seductive siren speed.

DK Collection Chaos by Donna Karan

The first time I smelled this, Janes Addiction, "The Mountain Song," came crashing into my head. No other fragrance has ever given me such a powerful reaction, but I was poor and struggling. Every time I needed to be somewhere important, I would stop by the mall to raid the tester at the fragrance counter This is the most empowering fragrance I have ever worn. When I need to remember that there's nobody bad like me, this is what reminds me. It was discontinued before I was able to snag a bottle, and the reformulation just didn't completely do it for me. Still a goal to own this. Nothing else compares....

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens

I'm a bit intimidated as I try to find words to do this justice, but something must be said. I went to Bois de Jasmin, where words like, "sultry," "opulent," "lush," and "demanding" are used, and phrases like, "heaving mass of blossoms." and, "salty, woody note of cumin," have obviously been pondered upon. Then there was this, ".... if one expects a well-behaved and demure floral, discovering the true nature of this fragrance will be a shock. It is unabashedly decadent, heady and rich." I may revisit to try to add my own words, but these words are so close to perfect. I feel I can do no better.......blissssssss.

Monsoon by Dame Perfumery

Sometime in my ancient history (1978ish?), I visited Tucson, Arizona during the monsoon season. The trip was life changing, but what really stayed with me was the smell of the foot hills after a rain storm had swept through. The scent was exotic and holy - it reminded me of church after high holy days combined with a trip to a Pier One Imports store (eucalyptus maybe?). I've been doing research about this smell, and I have learned that it is the creosote that is the main note. I'm so satisfied to find a perfume that comes close to my memory.
09th December, 2020 (last edited: 08th December, 2020)

Earth Mother by Dame Perfumery

This mother is a woman first and foremost. The sage, galbanum, and patchouli keep her grounded and spiritual. The musk, sandalwood and jasmine keeps her sensuality alive. The caramal, amber, and vanilla are all about her warmth and comfort.

DKNY Nectar Love by Donna Karan

This one has beeswax, musk, jasmine, and vanilla, which I always associate with a 'serious' or 'introspective' perfume, but! It also has grapefruit, neroli, lily-of-the-valley, and nectarine that are refusing to be held down. This is a hug, yes, but it is a breezy euphoric hug on a newly warm spring day. This is a hug from your toddler after they saw a kind of butterfly that they've never seen before. It's warm and exciting and full of wonder and love.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I'm so happy I ignored the marketing that this is for men. This is warm and boozy and woody and I'm swooning from this soft enveloping hug.

Ambra Aurea by Profumum

I've worn my share of amber - the essential oil was about all I wore in my twenties. Amber. I know it's a fantastic note, one of the greatest, but it takes me back to 'those days,' and I'm not there anymore. Then this!! This is deep breath sensual. It's causing a warmth and heaviness between my shoulder blades. This is velvet smooth. This is ancient and rich.

Moth by Zoologist Perfumes

I really don't know how this was done, what black magic was used, but this is exactly how a moth should smell like. This is light and a bit powdery, sweet and floral, but this is a night creature. It has Oud and patchouli, rose, and resins. This is mysterious and dark despite it's delicacy.

Smoke for the Soul by By Kilian

I don't get the cannabis hype on it, and I love this! I do! I love this so much that the price tag makes me want to weep. It has a wonderful sour edge from grapefruit, and it has a clean, green, almost, but not quite antiseptic lightness to it that the eucalyptus adds. It also has a light woody note from birch that keeps it a bit grounded and a Cashmirwood note softens the green in your face feel just enough to make it not obnoxious. I really don't smell too much cannibis. This is more like Zahtar, the Middle Eastern thyme spice mixture.

iri_del by Nomenclature

I really can't figure out how these notes work around to being a very sparkly, yet also have an earthy skin feel, but that's it. Aldehydes have always been difficult for me, but this one would be sorely lacking without them.I don't know how this was done, but I'm in love.

Rôses Berberanza by Lancôme

This is another one I love absolutely with no holds barred, even though, "I don't like rose." This one has rose, but its notes include raspberry, honey, rum, and vanilla. The rose is almost necessary to keep this from being too sweet. It still remains very sweet, IMHO, but sweet in a very uplifting, upbeat way.

1996 : Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo

This captures all of the scents of my life in the mid 90s. I had amber incense burning all the time, which I bought from an Indian family who made it to support themselves. I wore amber oil, because I couldn't afford any "real" perfume. I was working two jobs and going to school part time, but sill managed to go out to the underground clubs every weekend. I was dirt poor, but single, free, and so happy! This fragrance has the booze and books and amber

Nirvana Black by Elizabeth and James

This is sandalwood at its finest. This is so warm and embracing, yet mysterious at the same time. My ultimate comfort scent.

Winter of 99 by Kerosene

This scent has smoldering vanilla, wood, molasses, and nutmeg. This is warmth and comfort with a real dash of spice. I don't know how to aptly describe this, but the molasses seem to give it a warm, furry feel. This is a smoky, bold vanilla, and I'm loving it!
06th December, 2020