Reviews by AnnArborBodhi

Côte d'Amour by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top notes of verbena, something sweet (maybe vanilla? I really don't know), and also a "dirt" note that works quite well. A gentle aquatic note drifts in after a few minutes, softened by the vanilla-esque sweet note. Almost smells like coconut at one point. Despite the fact that it uses fairly common notes, it uses them incredibly well and in a way that still makes this scent unique. Definitely worth looking into. Should be noted that the vanilla makes it slightly feminine.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Top notes are a wonderfully natural smelling vanilla, reminiscent of the kind used for fine cooking. Within seconds (literally), the tobacco note comes through - also extremely authentic, like opening a bag of fresh pipe tobacco. It is rich, somewhat spicy, and a tad leathery. The tobacco smells a little cinnamon-y, in a delightful way. I wouldn't wear this in the summer (especially during the day), but it should be suitable for gentlemen at most other times - assuming whoever you are with can also appreciate tobacco. Honestly, it smells less like a personal fragrance (or "cologne"), than it does just like you are carrying around pockets full of rich tobacco. Which personally, I like. My only wish is that the vanilla stayed on board a little longer, as it fades rather quickly and gets dominated by the tobacco. Good longevity, moderate sillage.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Top notes of leather and tea. Very potent. Smells of genuine leather. After a minute or so, the leather has completely dominated the tea note. Reminds me of old Creed scents, sort of a more gentle Royal English Leather. I can tell that this is well-made, but I really can't bring myself to like leather scents, so I give it a neutral.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Top notes are lavender and something aquatic. Kind of powdery or feminine - reminds me of some sort of product you'd find in a bathroom, though I can't put my finger on what. Also some citrus notes here, primarily lemon I think. It just sort of stays like this. It's not offensive, but it's not really enticing either. It seems fitting for 1916.

Musk Eau de Toilette by Alyssa Ashley

Top notes are a boring imitation of musk. So are the mid notes and the base notes. Potentially the most boring fragrance I have ever smelled. Though it is not repulsive.

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Top notes smell cheap. Kind of like paint, spices, and maybe something green. After this it smells more food-like...perhaps verbena. I almost think I smell ambergris in the base. Spicy ambergris. Like a cheaper version of a Creed base. **

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

The top notes are similar to other Creeds...not sure which though. Sort of a vetiver with slight citrus. It is supposedly 'juniper berry,' but I have no idea what that smells like. It's very hard to describe the top notes of this one. But they are relatively pleasant. The cinnamon leaves aren't very distinct...as the normal cinnamon smell actually comes from bark, not from leaves. They could have just said "leaves" and had it been equally as accurate. Vetiver base.

Eryo Blue by Yves Rocher

The top notes are fruity and acquatic. Very well done, at that. There's something that emerges after a few minutes that is somewhat sexual or animalic. The top notes honestly smell kind of like kool-aid.

The dry-down is more powdery, but retains some of the fruity sweetness. Longevity is fairly short.

Tam Dao Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

This is a scent that does not evolve a whole lot. It's primarily notes are tea (perhaps bergamot tea, like earl grey), and it also has a somewhat "mineral" note reminiscent of Terre d'Hermes. It has excellent sillage and longevity. If you love tea, you'll love this scent. If you don't, you'll find it boring.

Oyédo by Diptyque

Very interesting. It smells very much of berries...think blackberries and raspberries. Maybe slight hints of citrus and smoke. However, it fades very quickly from this into nothing. Nonetheless, definitely worth sampling - haven't smelled anything like it.

Santos by Cartier

Top notes are astringent sandalwood and leather. There's a strange "emptiness" to the leather that makes it seem old man-ish. There's another note in it, perhaps cinnamon, that reminds me of Bond no. 9's "H.O.T. Always." I don't hate it, but its nothing mind-blowing. I'm generally not a fan of leather, I should note.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Top notes...lavender...and an almost chocolately boozy note maybe? Sort of spicy as well. After that, it seems like some vetiver (in the style Creed does vetiver) comes out. The spiciness is more pronounced at this point too. Definitely some dry woods. It's a very complicated scent, and not one that I would wear often - but it is extremely well made and I have deep respect for it.

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Top notes are lemon and lavender. Perhaps a hint of verbena too, but I tend to smell this in many many things. Top notes almost remind me of fruity loops, strangely. Fruity loops with lemon juice. It's pleasant. A sweet fourgere, shall we say? It fades on my skin rather quickly.
21st November, 2009

Acier Aluminium by Creed

The top notes are strange. Definitely something metallic to it. Also something subtly sweet, like a vague chocolate. Overall, very hard to describe or identify the elements of. Perhaps a boozy note to it.

It then fades to a leathery scent, with some slight fruity details. I'm not generally a fan of leather scents. While I don't particularly enjoy them as a group, this is definitely one of the better ones I smelled - I'm sure you leather lovers will appreciate it.

It sweet leathery note eventually morphs into sort of an amber scent.

I gave this one a neutral. While I can tell it is of great quality, and really evolves with time, I simply don't like leather scents. Or even amber ones that much, really.
21st November, 2009

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Top notes are definitely dominated by violet, with some other more ambiguous green/citrus notes. The top notes last longer than with most fragrances. After a while, some basil seems to appear. Perhaps some jasmine. Maybe some verbena. At this point it gets somewhat "sexy," though I can't pick out what the notes are.

It reminds me a lot of other Bond fragrances. It's quality, although a little too much like their other ones.
19th November, 2009

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

The top notes are synthetic citrus and very "fizzy." It then just sort of smells like "chemicals." It's interesting to smell a fragrance that doesn't even try to smell natural - not many companies have the nerve. Thumbs up for being unique, if nothing else. It really smells nice, too. I would wear it if the occasion was right.
19th November, 2009

Iss by Laura Tonatto

Opens up with a very powerful vetiver/lavender/citrus fourgere scent. Perhaps a little synthetic smelling, but I think it might just be the lemon that makes me think this (as I often associate lemon with cleaning products). The lemon definitely dominates the top notes.

It dries down to a unexpected cinnamon and vetiver. Fairly warm.

It's nice, but nothing too exciting or unique.
18th November, 2009

Versace Man by Versace

Top notes are spicy, somewhat sexy, but definitely synthetic. Kind of generic, also. Hints of citrus (specifically lemon), also. Pretty linear from here on out.
17th November, 2009

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Oh my god. Amazing. The reality of it blew my mind. Soil, leaves, fresh air.

It is understandable that people question why you would want to smell like this. It is startlingly realistic. I was shocked. But it also smells extremely pleasant. As long as you don't have an extremely dirty appearance, I would think that this would gain compliments. Even if they aren't used to smelling them on people, everyone loves the scents of this fragrance.

Five-stars. No question.
16th November, 2009

Royal English Leather by Creed

The top notes are incredibly harsh. Like leather and terrible cough syrup. Potent as all hell. I could see people in the 1700s wearing it. The only Creed I've smelled so far that I've had to give a negative rating to.
16th November, 2009

L'Homme Sage by Divine

The top notes are incredibly rich...a woodsy smoke with a touch of chocolate. Fresh, rich, sweet, and warm all at the same time. A piney gourmand.

After this, a strong incense note comes out. Tingles the nose. But is very sophisticated. It has one note here that reminds me of Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste, though I'm not sure what it is. Some very very slight amber notes, overpowered by the incense.
11th November, 2009

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love this. Five stars. It smells very natural the whole way through. It starts out sort of medicinal, but fades to a nice warm pine. There seem to be some smoky elements to it.
06th November, 2009

Central Park by Bond No. 9

The top notes are strange green ones. Smells like some kind of food that I've had on some rare occassion, but I can't put my finger on it. The basil is definitely a factor, but there's more to it.

A little more citrus seems to come out as mid notes. Lemon, mainly.

I didn't really smell any distinctive basenote. But I did not apply a great quantity, so this could be a factor perhaps.

This fragrance seems to play it safe for the most part. Not very likely to offend. It is well done, but lacks some of the boldness of some other Bond no 9 scents. I could imagine it being a bit more potent in warmer weather though.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Has an interesting and unique fruit blossom opening. After a few minutes, it almost seems to have notes of cinnamon. The nice cedar/vanilla/cardamom base is slowly introduced, and blends very well with the top and mid notes. Overall, it is quite feminine, but there would be some occasions where this could be suitable for a guy (maybe doing yoga perhaps). It's quite peaceful (but not boring), if that makes any sense.

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

High oil content for sure. Very pungent. Very bold.

I must say, the top notes are very strange. It's like cinnamon and coca cola. It is a very "hot" scent indeed.

As it slowly dries, it gets slightly more tame, with a peaceful rose arising out of the fiery top notes. This again transforms into a leathery scent. However, the strange heat of the top notes continue to influence it for a very long time.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

top notes: metalic, menthol, medicinal, cinnamon?
mid: incense
base: amber, incense

I was very impressed with this fragrance. It is truly a work of art. It is metallic, yet has a warm depth to it. Would be a great late fall and winter fragrance. If I wasn't a student (and therefore had money), I would probably buy a bottle of this.
29th October, 2009

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

Delicious green top notes. Almost candy-like but still very natural. I knew this was going to be a five-star fragrance as soon as I smelled the top notes.

Mid is a cooler, slightly aquatic scent, with a twist. Reminds me of a slighter green version of the top notes of polo black.

Has a sweet, morning dew-like base. With a tiny bit of spice.
29th October, 2009

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

They are all correct, it is very similar to Green Irish Tweed. It would be hard to convince me that this was an accident. However, I must say that Chez Bond works better for my skin (typically dry skin, caucasian male) than GIT does.
23rd October, 2009