Reviews by Jack Hunter

Sauvage Elixir by Christian Dior

Dior has hit the ball right out of the park with this one. It smells fantastic, really classy and sexy!

I get a dash of grapefruit in the opening and then a super smooth dose of milky chocolatey cardamom. There is a hint of sweetness and then the lavender does something special to this scent. Especially when it mixes with the nutmeg, you get that roasty woody vibe.

The scent is quite complex and after the first few hours it really opens up from the heavy cardamom which moves into the background. The lavender with grapefruit and woods, licorice, cinnamon move into the front seat all mixed together as one.

The first two hours the projection and sillage is amazing on me a real room filler. Then it settles down to within arms length but is very noticeable. The longevity is 12 hours plus into the next day on my skin.

The smell is just wonderful and you can pick apart the notes even though they are mixed together. The sandalwood in this is really good and almost creamy. The scent seems to go through many transitions on the skin. And it smells really classy and seductive. All in all I'm impressed, a stellar release from Dior.

27th August, 2021

Aventus Cologne by Creed

A fresher zesty and more people pleasing version of Aventus. It has this Summery vacation in the sun vibe going on. If I was to go on a holiday and was looking for a beautiful luxury cologne to party on down in the hot tropical evenings, this would fit the bill. Very nice!
26th May, 2021

Emperor by Parfums Vintage

Got to say I fell for the hype and got a 50ml bottle. It's the worst smelling Aventus clone I have smelled. It literally smells like scented water and it lasts five minutes on your skin before it's gone. Do you remember the intense sparkling pineapple note in Aventus, well here it smells very flat and is gone within five seconds or so. I've smelled tins of pineapple that had a better pineapple smell. Even the reformulated Armaf Club de Nuit Intense with it's smoke and flat pineapple on the back end is way better than this. Next to the Parfums Vintage Emperor the Armaf smells like a masterpiece.

The hype for this was unreal, if you sprayed one spray of the armaf CdNI into some water mixed it up. You would probably get a better smell and performance.

What a let down!........ yeah I know I blame myself.
20th May, 2021

Club de Nuit Milestone by Armaf

Now this is supposed to be a copy of Millesime Imperial and wow I cannot tell the difference. I used to have a big 120ml bottle years ago that went a bit too salty and was a bit lacking in the fruity melon accord. Most copies of Millesime Imperial cannot get the balance right or they are missing the required saltiness

Well to my amazement this captures the fruity melon and salty accord in perfect measure. I'm a bit gobsmacked as it smells better than my old bottle of Millesime Imperial. How can this be, something this affordable and I mean £30 should not rival the Creeds £270 bottle. But it does. This is a great and Its beautiful. I'm well pleased, I've got Millesime Imperial for £30. Well thats how I feel. Lovely stuff!
12th May, 2021

Private Label by Jovoy

Now this obnoxious fragrances opens with a dirty oily black leathery birch tar accord that smells thoroughly unpleasant. It's woody and gets heavier with the vetiver and patchouli and starts to remind me of some dark medicinal ouds.

After a while it settles into a dark woody earthy oily leather with a black rooty vetiver and it lasts and projects forever.

Not my cup of tea at all!
05th May, 2021

Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy

Now this is very nice and enchanting with it's vetiver and patchouli combo.

It opens up with a citrus vetiver and patchouli which is slightly sweet and spicy. The vetiver is smoky and sits on the patchouli. So when you smell it up close you can detect the earthy patchouli and from a distance the smoky vetiver is more detectable.

There is something compelling about this scent that I find irresistible. The longevity and projection are very good. Thumbs up!
05th May, 2021

Psychédélique by Jovoy

Now this is a sensual beauty and one of the best patchouli scents I have smelled. It opens up with a camphorous dusty chocolate like aroma that has a slight medicinal aspect. The pink rose adds that sensuality within this comfort scent that just gets better with vanilla as time goes by. Longevity and projection are stellar.

All in all a great fragrance and a big thumbs up!
04th May, 2021

Nuit de Megève by Eight & Bob

Dark spicy coffee scent that reminds me of Endyminion by Penhaligons. Very nice!
03rd May, 2021

Wood Infusion by Goldfield & Banks

Fresh Oud, iris and Sandalwood gives this scent a Summery vibe like you have left your laundry out in the Summer sun to dry. And your picking up wafts from the conditioner in the air. On my skin it turns into a skin scent after twenty minutes and then just lingers for a couple of hours. It's pleasant but nothing special.
03rd May, 2021

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

Now this scent starts off smelling very lush and classy with it's orange and grapefruit aroma. It's deep and well rounded and gets a bit smoky in the mid-notes due to the flint note.

As time passes you can smell a earthy mossy patchouli with some woods. The longevity is excellent as I get several hours and even when I think it's gone it sometimes reappears. Sillage and projection are only within half a arms length making it a more intimate scent for the wearer to enjoy.

All in all a smooth and classy scent that's quite versatile due to it's understated nature.
13th March, 2021 (last edited: 08th May, 2021)

Varen by Stirling Soap Company

It opens very green and bold with a ton of that oakmoss goodness. It's very aromatic and not a dark green like polo but more of a light green like Brut. It does have what you would imagine fern would smell like up close. I get that leafy greenness like you are smelling the leaf of a plant up close. As time passes that aspect becomes mixed in with a very lovely strong lemony bergamot and this starts to dominate the green mossy leafy scent.

The scent projects within arms length and just seems to last and last with a bold distinctive smell that I can always catch wafts of the scent. One good thing is the scent does not become soapy at any time like some fern scents tend to do. Also there only a tinge of powder but only if you start looking for it.

Now what interests me is this really reminds me of Vintage Brut it has the same vibe and greenness without the excessive powder. I'm saying this as I recently purchased Brut special reserve for nostalgic reasons and it was a powdery short lasting synthetic scent. This is scent reminds me more of vintage Brut than the actual Brut reformulation/special edition. It's as if the creator used Brut as a inspiration to create a old school Fougere scent using the old restricted ingredients.

I have to say even though it has it's rough edges and is not contemporary it does smell good. It's like a little rough diamond which has not been refined. But it has lots of the IFRA restricted oakmoss in abundance, it lasts and has a bold distinctive presence. I have to say I like it!
13th March, 2021

Imperial by Boadicea the Victorious

On the opening I get fresh spicy lavender and Oud. The Oud reminds me of the Oud in Sahraa Oud by Fragrance Du Bois but much lighter and aromatic. From the Oud I can smell a slight rose and sweetness and this is the heart of the scent. It's quite intricate as here and there I can pick up other notes like leather and woods.

Eventually it becomes very woody and spicy whilst been very easy to wear. It's a very light wearing scent. And that oudy rosy heart is always there. It smells very classy and chic. I would say the scent is reminiscent and has the same vibe as Tom Fords Oud Wood and Royal Oud by Creed. But having better ingredients than both of them.

The star of the show is the slightly sweet rosy Oud which seems to be the heart of the scent. All in all very lovely and chic. I like it a lot!
23rd February, 2021

1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

I get three distinct phases out of this fragrance. In the opening I get a blast of lavender, juniper and cypress with other green notes making the scent smell herbaceous. It's a bit rough for the first forty minutes and then settles down nicely and reminds me of Lauder For Men.

After a good amount of time the florals make a entrance and take the back seat. This softens the scent and it smells quite lovely whilst remaining very masculine. And yes at this point I do get the resemblance to Boucheron Pour Homme. But that one starts to lean more to the unisex side of things as the florals jump into the front seat and start to take over. So I like 1881 more as it keeps itself smelling masculine.

Finally the drydown in a very nice musky sandalwood.

The projection for the first two to three hours is good and then it reigns itself in to within a half a arms length. The longevity on my skin is excellent with all day and into next day longevity.

All in all a very nice masculine fragrance that has character and can be had for the price of a large pizza.

Happy Days!
11th February, 2021

Cuir de Russie Parfum by Chanel

I purchased this as I loved the Edp and it is a beauty in it's own right but there are differences. The extrait is drier, more smoky, less floral and is more unisex. It also smells more vivid like you are smelling something in high definition.

In the first hour as it melds with your skin chemistry you can smell the most gorgeous vivid dry jasmine note. I have to it to say it's more prominent in the extrait than the Edp. Then slowly the buttery Ylang Ylang with the touch of Iris makes it's presence known. It's low key at first where in the Edp it just dominates everything.

As time passes there is a interplay between the jasmine and the buttery Ylang Ylang with the touch of Iris. Until the jasmine fades more and this starts to take over. At this point the aldehydes come into play in quite a big way. It gives the composition a sparkling champagne like feel.

As we get closer to the basenotes the scent starts to become leathery, not suede and clean like the Edp but more of a dirty leather. But it is quite discreet and never overwhelms the scent as a whole.

As the fragrance is a pure parfum oil it does stay very close to you. Within I say half a arms length but it does have a distinct presence and is long lasting. But very subtle!

All in all a very beautiful scent best for special/intimate occasions or for when you want to be self indulgent.

01st October, 2020

1957 by Chanel

This beautiful scent is like a airy breeze that just caresses your senses with it's multi faceted complex scent accords. It shimmers on your skin showing notes of white musk, bergamot, iris, neroli, cedar and regal powdery touches sweetened by honey.

When you first spray the scent upon your skin you are greeted with fresh sparkling aldehydes closely followed by orange blossom. These aldehydes do weave in and out of the scent during the course of it's evolution. But the star of the show is the musks which blend beautifully with all the other subtle notes.

The projection is within arms length and it does have decent sillage and a distinct presence over it's long life of over several hours.

I'm quite impressed , it's a clean refreshing complex light breezy scent that tantalizes your senses with it's beautiful aromas. Big thumbs up!

18th September, 2020

Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel

Soft fresh spicy chic going out on the night fragrance. There is a debonair sexiness in wearing this scent.

Want to impress the ladies and be the man, a suit and a bottle of this and your on way. Very nice!
26th August, 2020

Coromandel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Now this is a magnificent fragrance that just enthralls you at first sniff.

A refined smooth blast of patchouli kicks things off followed by the most gorgeous frankincense accord that I have smelled in a fragrance. This is followed by white chocolate and a beautiful rose note. These notes are a marriage made in heaven.

The lovely enchanted blend is quite strong for a few hours with the incense leading the way for dominance over your nose. Eventually the beautiful scent calms down and the incense takes the backseat as the white chocolate and patchouli gently take over.

The projection and sillage are decent and I get about ten hours longevity.

This is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book and one of the most intoxicating fragrances I have ever smelled. Big thumbs up!
11th July, 2020

Cuir de Russie Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Now this is gorgeous and opens up with a creamy buttery ylang ylang followed by a very refined supple almost suede like leather.

As time passes you can smell jasmine,dry woods, iris all woven tightly together that the scent shimmers on your skin. Smell it one moment you get the leather, smell it again and you can smell the jasmine. It is a beautiful classy multifaceted fragrance.

Deep into the drydown after many hours I can even smell a soft and sensual animalic scent on my skin.

This scent lasted seven hours on my skin and the projection and sillage was decent.

I have to say this is one of the most luxurious and classy fragrances I have ever smelled. Bravo to Chanel this is just a beautiful refined gem of a scent. Big thumbs up!
08th July, 2020

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Aldehydes (that hairspray smell) and Patchouli is what I get on first spray quickly followed dusty roses and moss. It's green and herbal and old school with a underlying subtle civet. As it dries down I smell some carnation and woods. It's one of those ones that smells good in the air around you but not so good up close because of the aldehydes.

Nice in a old fashioned way but not something I would buy but I can appreciate it.
23rd June, 2020

Devin by Aramis

Now this is a very nice spicy green and musky fragrance. I get the piney leathery piercing green scent straight off the bat. Then you get a dry mossy cedar note which is softened by jasmine and carnation.

The magic of this scent is when it settles you have a green plant like aromas with dry cedar that mixes in with the florals. And this smells really good, the star of the show accord if you like.

Big thumbs up from me and well worth checking out if you like green chypre scents.
23rd June, 2020

Moustache Eau de Parfum by Rochas

Tangerine starts things off with a slightly oily leather which is soon joined by a smooth vanilla. Pink pepper and a slight rose adds a captivating vibe to the overall fragrance.

This smells very nice indeed and everything is balanced well so not one note dominates the other. Later on in the drydown a cedar and patchouli accord can be smelled.

When you smell this you can smell a portion of the tangerine, rose, pink pepper, vanilla and leather all together. It has a romantic vibe to the scent and is very pleasing on the nose.

Projection is within a arms length and the sillage is not bad for the first few hours. I get several hours in longevity and well the price for this fragrance made my wallet happy. lol

Big thumbs up, a very lovely scent!
11th June, 2020

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

A beautiful burst of natural smelling lemon with mint and watery notes is what I get on first application. It smells very refreshing in a lemonade way.

Soon after you get light herbs and lavender with a very subtle floral rose note. The scent is very light and aromatic and weaved with a complexity that has you thinking how have they done this.

Eventually moss and musk with a lovely airy light jasmine note dominates the drydown. Very nice and what a lovely journey from start to finish.

It stays close to you and I get about five to six hours longevity which is great for this type of scent.

All in all a pleasure and they truly do not make them like this anymore. Big thumbs up!
12th May, 2020

Shooting Stars : Nio by Xerjoff

Now this is a real beauty with it's photo realistic neroli and citrus notes that meld with vetiver and other notes like a marriage made in heaven.

This is the kind of scent you want for a special occasion like a wedding, honeymoon etc. Thumbs up!
10th April, 2020

Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Herbal green Ivory and mint make this refreshing with vetiver and myrhh following quickly after.This scent is green with a bit of sweetness but it smells like a cocktail that I want to drink than a fragrance I want to wear. Nice but not my cup of Earl Grey.
10th April, 2020

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Salted sugary cotton candy with something alluring and seductive. The more I wear it the more I am seduced by the sweet unique smell. I cannot help but like it.
09th April, 2020

Jasmin Antique by Rogue Perfumery

Now I have to say this smells really lovely and better than I was expecting. The jasmine is fresh, full bodied, well rounded and intricate displaying different nuances. It actually smells better than the Egyptian Jasmine which is the fragrance that made me fall in love with the note. It's like the creator has taken the natural jasmine smell and enhanced it so it smells like it's in hi definition.

It opens with fresh jasmine blossoms and I did pick up slight indolic (skanky note) for the first half hour but it was just so slight it enhanced the smell instead of overwhelming or unbalancing the composition. Then for the next few hours everything goes full throttle and you are surrounded with a beautiful jasmine accord which shows you different facets ever-time you smell it. In fact it's amazing how he has made a soliflore smell complex and deep. Very beautiful!

After the first few hours I can smell cloves which add a warm spicy slight woodsy feel just enough to complement the jasmine. This is joined by a dash of vanilla just to add that je ne sais quoi to the mix.

All in all it smells very beautiful and natural smelling with enough depth to have you sniffing yourself all day long. For me there is a certain magic with the jasmine note especially when smelled at night on a balmy warm evening.
09th April, 2020

Brut by Fabergé

I thought I would pick the Special Reserve version for pure nostalgic reasons. It's been twenty five years since I smelled this fragrance. I used to borrow my dads Brut as a teenager so this was trip down memory lane.

It opens up with lemon, lavender with anise and powder. It has a bit of citrus but it seems a lot weaker than the old vintage. More rougher and powdery and not as smooth and strong as I remember. It's like they have stripped it down and added extra powder, that strong green spicy citrus seems to have vanished. I would call this Brut triple extra lite. They have neutered the scent and cut off it's cojones.

The bottle looks fun and macho but don't let it deceive you, it's macho days are far gone. Now it's a Sunday morning after a shower cologne when you want to read your paper in your slippers with a nice cup of coffee. Brut R.I.P I will miss the guy you once were, time to retire once and for all.
19th March, 2020

Le Canotier by Rogue Perfumery

From the top I get a citrus infused vetiver that is also woody with hints of tobacoo, violet and ambergris. You get this interesting blend of notes straight away all blended and intertwined very smoothly. It smells very nice and it also has a good dose of oakmoss with a hint of white florals. It's quite complex and like a vetiver scent that you always wanted to be more interesting. Well here you have it with blended with a lot of agreeable notes.

06th November, 2019

Mousse Illuminée by Rogue Perfumery

I get a lovely fresh blast of sweet moss and musk with incense and cypress. It has that old school shaving cream vibe and is quite potent. I get the polo vibe but this is more unisex. It is quite linear but all in all a very good green herbal like scent. Thumbs up!
06th November, 2019

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

On the opening I get lush lime and basil with white florals of creamy ylang ylang and the most beautiful jasmine accord. There is exotic spices, sandalwood, hints of civet and a lovely sweet oakmoss to die for. These notes are constantly dancing around each other at the same time, what a beauty.

You can tell a lot of thought and careful consideration went into creating this. The scent is very complex and intricate with really natural smelling ingredients. They truly don't make them like this anymore. Thank god for Rogue Perfumery in bringing back the dying art of the true chypre fragrance. This is a vintage lovers dream of a fragrance!

Wonderful!