Reviews by Jack Hunter

Cuir de Russie Parfum by Chanel

I purchased this as I loved the Edp and it is a beauty in it's own right but there are differences. The extrait is drier, more smoky, less floral and is more unisex. It also smells more vivid like you are smelling something in high definition.

In the first hour as it melds with your skin chemistry you can smell the most gorgeous vivid dry jasmine note. I have to it to say it's more prominent in the extrait than the Edp. Then slowly the buttery Ylang Ylang with the touch of Iris makes it's presence known. It's low key at first where in the Edp it just dominates everything.

As time passes there is a interplay between the jasmine and the buttery Ylang Ylang with the touch of Iris. Until the jasmine fades more and this starts to take over. At this point the aldehydes come into play in quite a big way. It gives the composition a sparkling champagne like feel.

As we get closer to the basenotes the scent starts to become leathery, not suede and clean like the Edp but more of a dirty leather. But it is quite discreet and never overwhelms the scent as a whole.

As the fragrance is a pure parfum oil it does stay very close to you. Within I say half a arms length but it does have a distinct presence and is long lasting. But very subtle!

All in all a very beautiful scent best for special/intimate occasions or for when you want to be self indulgent.

01st October, 2020

1957 by Chanel

This beautiful scent is like a airy breeze that just caresses your senses with it's multi faceted complex scent accords. It shimmers on your skin showing notes of white musk, bergamot, iris, neroli, cedar and regal powdery touches sweetened by honey.

When you first spray the scent upon your skin you are greeted with fresh sparkling aldehydes closely followed by orange blossom. These aldehydes do weave in and out of the scent during the course of it's evolution. But the star of the show is the musks which blend beautifully with all the other subtle notes.

The projection is within arms length and it does have decent sillage and a distinct presence over it's long life of over several hours.

I'm quite impressed , it's a clean refreshing complex light breezy scent that tantalizes your senses with it's beautiful aromas. Big thumbs up!

18th September, 2020

Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel

Soft fresh spicy chic going out on the night fragrance. There is a debonair sexiness in wearing this scent.

Want to impress the ladies and be the man, a suit and a bottle of this and your on way. Very nice!
26th August, 2020

Coromandel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Now this is a magnificent fragrance that just enthralls you at first sniff.

A refined smooth blast of patchouli kicks things off followed by the most gorgeous frankincense accord that I have smelled in a fragrance. This is followed by white chocolate and a beautiful rose note. These notes are a marriage made in heaven.

The lovely enchanted blend is quite strong for a few hours with the incense leading the way for dominance over your nose. Eventually the beautiful scent calms down and the incense takes the backseat as the white chocolate and patchouli gently take over.

The projection and sillage are decent and I get about ten hours longevity.

This is a perfect 10 out of 10 in my book and one of the most intoxicating fragrances I have ever smelled. Big thumbs up!
11th July, 2020

Cuir de Russie Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Now this is gorgeous and opens up with a creamy buttery ylang ylang followed by a very refined supple almost suede like leather.

As time passes you can smell jasmine,dry woods, iris all woven tightly together that the scent shimmers on your skin. Smell it one moment you get the leather, smell it again and you can smell the jasmine. It is a beautiful classy multifaceted fragrance.

Deep into the drydown after many hours I can even smell a soft and sensual animalic scent on my skin.

This scent lasted seven hours on my skin and the projection and sillage was decent.

I have to say this is one of the most luxurious and classy fragrances I have ever smelled. Bravo to Chanel this is just a beautiful refined gem of a scent. Big thumbs up!
08th July, 2020

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Aldehydes (that hairspray smell) and Patchouli is what I get on first spray quickly followed dusty roses and moss. It's green and herbal and old school with a underlying subtle civet. As it dries down I smell some carnation and woods. It's one of those ones that smells good in the air around you but not so good up close because of the aldehydes.

Nice in a old fashioned way but not something I would buy but I can appreciate it.
23rd June, 2020

Devin by Aramis

Now this is a very nice spicy green and musky fragrance. I get the piney leathery piercing green scent straight off the bat. Then you get a dry mossy cedar note which is softened by jasmine and carnation.

The magic of this scent is when it settles you have a green plant like aromas with dry cedar that mixes in with the florals. And this smells really good, the star of the show accord if you like.

Big thumbs up from me and well worth checking out if you like green chypre scents.
23rd June, 2020

Moustache Eau de Parfum by Rochas

Tangerine starts things off with a slightly oily leather which is soon joined by a smooth vanilla. Pink pepper and a slight rose adds a captivating vibe to the overall fragrance.

This smells very nice indeed and everything is balanced well so not one note dominates the other. Later on in the drydown a cedar and patchouli accord can be smelled.

When you smell this you can smell a portion of the tangerine, rose, pink pepper, vanilla and leather all together. It has a romantic vibe to the scent and is very pleasing on the nose.

Projection is within a arms length and the sillage is not bad for the first few hours. I get several hours in longevity and well the price for this fragrance made my wallet happy. lol

Big thumbs up, a very lovely scent!
11th June, 2020

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

A beautiful burst of natural smelling lemon with mint and watery notes is what I get on first application. It smells very refreshing in a lemonade way.

Soon after you get light herbs and lavender with a very subtle floral rose note. The scent is very light and aromatic and weaved with a complexity that has you thinking how have they done this.

Eventually moss and musk with a lovely airy light jasmine note dominates the drydown. Very nice and what a lovely journey from start to finish.

It stays close to you and I get about five to six hours longevity which is great for this type of scent.

All in all a pleasure and they truly do not make them like this anymore. Big thumbs up!
12th May, 2020

Shooting Stars : Nio by Xerjoff

Now this is a real beauty with it's photo realistic neroli and citrus notes that meld with vetiver and other notes like a marriage made in heaven.

This is the kind of scent you want for a special occasion like a wedding, honeymoon etc. Thumbs up!
10th April, 2020

Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Herbal green Ivory and mint make this refreshing with vetiver and myrhh following quickly after.This scent is green with a bit of sweetness but it smells like a cocktail that I want to drink than a fragrance I want to wear. Nice but not my cup of Earl Grey.
10th April, 2020

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Salted sugary cotton candy with something alluring and seductive. The more I wear it the more I am seduced by the sweet unique smell. I cannot help but like it.
09th April, 2020

Jasmin Antique by Rogue Perfumery

Now I have to say this smells really lovely and better than I was expecting. The jasmine is fresh, full bodied, well rounded and intricate displaying different nuances. It actually smells better than the Egyptian Jasmine which is the fragrance that made me fall in love with the note. It's like the creator has taken the natural jasmine smell and enhanced it so it smells like it's in hi definition.

It opens with fresh jasmine blossoms and I did pick up slight indolic (skanky note) for the first half hour but it was just so slight it enhanced the smell instead of overwhelming or unbalancing the composition. Then for the next few hours everything goes full throttle and you are surrounded with a beautiful jasmine accord which shows you different facets ever-time you smell it. In fact it's amazing how he has made a soliflore smell complex and deep. Very beautiful!

After the first few hours I can smell cloves which add a warm spicy slight woodsy feel just enough to complement the jasmine. This is joined by a dash of vanilla just to add that je ne sais quoi to the mix.

All in all it smells very beautiful and natural smelling with enough depth to have you sniffing yourself all day long. For me there is a certain magic with the jasmine note especially when smelled at night on a balmy warm evening.
09th April, 2020

Brut by Fabergé

I thought I would pick the Special Reserve version for pure nostalgic reasons. It's been twenty five years since I smelled this fragrance. I used to borrow my dads Brut as a teenager so this was trip down memory lane.

It opens up with lemon, lavender with anise and powder. It has a bit of citrus but it seems a lot weaker than the old vintage. More rougher and powdery and not as smooth and strong as I remember. It's like they have stripped it down and added extra powder, that strong green spicy citrus seems to have vanished. I would call this Brut triple extra lite. They have neutered the scent and cut off it's cojones.

The bottle looks fun and macho but don't let it deceive you, it's macho days are far gone. Now it's a Sunday morning after a shower cologne when you want to read your paper in your slippers with a nice cup of coffee. Brut R.I.P I will miss the guy you once were, time to retire once and for all.
19th March, 2020

Le Canotier by Rogue Perfumery

From the top I get a citrus infused vetiver that is also woody with hints of tobacoo, violet and ambergris. You get this interesting blend of notes straight away all blended and intertwined very smoothly. It smells very nice and it also has a good dose of oakmoss with a hint of white florals. It's quite complex and like a vetiver scent that you always wanted to be more interesting. Well here you have it with blended with a lot of agreeable notes.

06th November, 2019

Mousse Illuminée by Rogue Perfumery

I get a lovely fresh blast of sweet moss and musk with incense and cypress. It has that old school shaving cream vibe and is quite potent. I get the polo vibe but this is more unisex. It is quite linear but all in all a very good green herbal like scent. Thumbs up!
06th November, 2019

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

On the opening I get lush lime and basil with white florals of creamy ylang ylang and the most beautiful jasmine accord. There is exotic spices, sandalwood, hints of civet and a lovely sweet oakmoss to die for. These notes are constantly dancing around each other at the same time, what a beauty.

You can tell a lot of thought and careful consideration went into creating this. The scent is very complex and intricate with really natural smelling ingredients. They truly don't make them like this anymore. Thank god for Rogue Perfumery in bringing back the dying art of the true chypre fragrance. This is a vintage lovers dream of a fragrance!

Wonderful!
05th November, 2019

Antiquity by Areej le Doré

Ahhhh man this is so good. Imagine if you will the most supple brown leather that it could be the inside of a very expensive luxury car. Add chocolate patchouli and bergamot and then wrap the supple brown leather chocolate infused citrus with a heavenly pure carnation accord. Like it was just plucked from within heavens gate and brought to earth for mortal men to enjoy.

And then add the most beautiful Cambodian oud accord with it's multifaceted woodsy and slightly sweet caramel accord for the drydown. Add a few drops of musk and you have a concoction to die for. I love this juice!

Well from two sprays of Antiquity I get all day longevity from 10am to 2am and even in the morning I could smell the basenotes. The projection though not stellar is better than the other three on my skin. So that 30ml bottle is going to last some time.

I have to say I have never worn a scent that has given me such a buzz and has had me walking around all day on cloud nine. Absolutely amazing smelling masterpiece!

Siberian Summer by Areej le Doré

The first thing to hit me after spraying two sprays of Siberian Summer was a beautiful musk. It pounced on me like a cat, this was followed by lime, bergamot and a smoky camphor note.

The musk is nice and slightly sweet which is mixed in with a green pine and I'm picking up on a lot of smoke.

It smells like your walking towards a piney musky smelling forest where there is smoke in the distance coming from within the forest. There is this slight woody aroma underneath the musk that is very nice indeed. It compliments the piney smoky musk.

Eventually the vetiver comes with this woodyness and it adds a nice contrast to the musky pine scent accord. Though in the basenotes the cedar comes into play and that woodyness makes the scent smell very dry like smelling piney musk in a desert.

Now it smells nice for a good while though it is a bit astringent and harsh smelling especially if you try to smell the scent up close. Then it does become a bit one dimensional and I do detect a pissy urine accord that I don't like.

The musk will keep tantalizing your nose though I am not keen on the cedar and when it turns very dry and I mean desert dry. At this stage I cannot help feeling that I have had enough.

The longevity is good with over several hours and more but like a lot from the range the projection is below average. This does stay close to you.

Plumeria de Orris by Areej le Doré

What I get from this is a flowery fruity orris glazed in honey scent accord. The exotic flower is the Plumeria, the fruity aspect is coming from the apricot and orris is the powdery violet tinged note.

It is light and beautiful and does lean towards the feminine spectrum but not so much that a man cannot pull off wearing this. But then it all depends on what your threshold is and where you draw the line.

There is a vanilla sweetness to the scent and when after a few hours the Sandalwood appears the scent starts to smell better and better. The Sandalwood seems to ground the scent and give it more body whilst making it more unisex.

As we move into the basenotes you can smell a slight resinous myrhh which does become stronger though this does not diminish the flowery fruity orris glazed in honey accord.

Also now and again you can smell a very slight animalic civet note but it comes and goes very quickly. It adds a slight animalic tinge.

Now the longevity is good with this lasting more than ten hours but the projection is about average.

I like this though I do feel that the orris dominates everything else and drowns out the Plumeria accord for a lot of the time. When it does show it self it smells very lovely!

War and Peace by Areej le Doré

At the start I get a blast of fresh civet which is quickly followed by rose, incense and powder. After this there is this very strange scent accord that smells like a old Victorian house that has not been lived in for a hundred years would smell like. Or if you like the smell of a old musty smelling museum full of ancient antiquity's.

After about thirty minutes this fades away and you are left with the rose and powder which starts to feel animalic. You can smell the deer musk as it announces it's presence but it is kept in check by the rose and powder.

As time goes by the musk becomes more pronounced and then starts to get leathery. This is where the castoreum comes into play. So you have a scent that is rosey, musky and leathery with a slight incense like amber.

Now well into the drydown after many hours you can smell a very lovely sweet ambery musky ambergris accord with a animalic tinge. This eventually turns into golden incense amber with animalic hints.

Now the longevity lasts all day but the projection is well below average. This one stays quite close to, more of a personal scent for you to enjoy than anything that others will pick up on unless they are close to you.

The ingredients are top notch and it does smell good if you like rosey slightly powdery musky incense tinged animalics. Though I think the first 30 minutes with that old museum like scent accord is the most challenging. I think that scent accord will be very polarizing and will put a lot of people off the scent.

I like it and I think this with it's natural ingredient's will mature and get better with age.

Sahraa Oud by Fragrance Du Bois

Here you get everything at once, and you can smell the different facets every-time you smell it. At first you can smell the grapefruit and a very lovely ouddy smell, smell it again and you notice the rose. But the rose is not a dominant note just a facet within the blend. Smell it again and it's the saffron and then the amber.

One thing I'm glad about is that the Oud is front and centre and not just in the title or buried within a boatload of other notes. Here they deliver the oud smell and it's very nice indeed.

Now it reminds me of a more sophisticated version of Amber Oud by Roja Dove. Take the similar vibe of that throw in all natural oud and beautiful ingredients that work in harmony with each other. It actually smells very expensive and lush, straight away you know why it's so expensive. There are no cheap smelling ingredients here.
28th October, 2019

Collection Grands Crus : Oud Wa Ward by Berdoues

Oud and Roses with patchouli but this has the most wonderful burst of rosy freshness it has your head spinning. It has a creamy like grapefruit rosy freshness that is intoxicating. Very lovely!
24th October, 2019

Mandarava by Parfum Prissana

Mandarava is a beautiful exotic floral but it does cross my too feminine line in the sand. It has a big dose of tuberose which I don't get on with. This note is mixed in with champa and jasmine and I'm sure other notes. It smells like a deeply feminine rosey cherry like scent. It's captivating and bewitching but I just could not pull this one off or feel comfortable wearing it. Though on a lady this would be stunning.
16th October, 2019

Ma Nishtana by Parfum Prissana

This is not cold churchy incense. It starts out the same with the Frankincense and Myrhh and then becomes warm, inviting, smoky, spicy with a slight sweet amberyness. It's not my style but I have to admit it's good, very good.
16th October, 2019

Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff

Tropical flowers melding with citrus tangerine notes is soon joined by a rich musk and lovely sandalwood. These notes are constantly dancing around each other. There is also a hint of what smells like oud within this beautiful composition.

I get several hours in longevity with moderate projection, it does stay close to you.

All in all a lovely exotic smelling scent with quality natural ingredients.
22nd September, 2019

Moroccan Amber by Dunhill

A lovely citrus and warm amber is what the sense's pick up on spraying this upon oneself. This is followed by saffron and cardamom and these notes mixing in with the warm citrus amber make the composition smell earthy. So you have a bright citrus amber on top that has a earthy body. And basically that's your lot.

Have to say though it does smell very lovely, a simple accord that does not irritate me like the Sandalwood scent. Like the rest of the range I just wish there was more complexity. Maybe the perfumer's were on a budget and someone greedy at Dunhill just wanted a quick return.

British Leather by Dunhill

On the opening you can smell bergamot weaved with a small amount of violet and soon after you get a small amount of oily leather and that's basically it. Again like the rest of the line it is very minimalistic with simple accords.

I cannot help imagining someone buying a full bottle from Harrods and opening the box in anticipation. They would be all excited in purchasing something expensive and exclusive. And then watching their face as it fills with disappointment. "Is this it, £120 I've spent from Harrods no less. And this is all they could come up with, I've smelled scents that cost a fraction of this that smelled more complex. And at least they made the effort.". lol

It's decent but I'm not impressed with British leather especially at this price point.

On a side note that candy like jelly baby smell that I mentioned in the sandalwood review. Well I smelled it in the far far drydown of Arabian Desert and it's in this as well. And it annoys me because when all the other notes have been spent, that jellybaby candy like smell just persists. I've been smelling it now for days.

Arabian Desert by Dunhill

Now this one is very nice indeed and I have been enjoying wearing it this fine day. It opens soft and spicy with pink pepper and saffron with a touch of freshness from the bergamot. Soon after the rose develops and this accord is the star of the show, it's a really lovely bright slightly creamy pink rose. Now in a lot of scents of this type the rose can be very strong and can drown out the other notes. Not so here, the lush rose (and it's lovely) flows and ebbs like the tides of the ocean out of the gentle soft spiciness. So every so often a aroma of a beautiful bright and slightly creamy rose just caresses your senses only to return to the rosy soft spiciness.

Now this is what I really like about this scent is that it is really well balanced making it very wearable. The star of the show rose never overwhelms or drowns out the other notes. After three hours and into the basenotes you are left with a very nice rosy soft spiciness that reminds me a little bit of Ambre Nuit but without the powder and with a better rose note.

Now onto the so called Oud, it's basically not here and I think I would be shocked if it was from Dunhill. Now I don't know the mind of the creator but I am going to try and guess what she was going for with this note. Now with real oud you would get a cheesy barnyard aroma and then when that dies down you get a creamyness from the Oud that mixes in with the rose. In real Oud and rose combos the use of real oud adds depth to the scent and rounds out the rose accord into something lush smelling.

Now here in the basenotes I can smell the slightly creamy effect with the rose, not as great as the real thing but it's there. Of course the animalic aspect has not been replicated, again not with Dunhill. So this is my guess that the creamy aspect with the rose is the creators way of replicating the effect of Oud on the rose.

Now the price for what you get is expensive as you can get the same quality for half price ie Royal Potion Black to name one. But all in all it's very lovely and I like it a lot.

On a side-note when all the above notes are spent and in the far dry-down there is this annoying jelly-baby candy accord. It's the same accord that is in Indian Sandalwood and British leather. It persists through showers and is just weird and annoying to have this accord running through most of the scents from this exclusive range.

Indian Sandalwood by Dunhill

At the start you can smell a mossy green bergamot that has a slight annoying candy like tinge to it's nature. After a minute the soft sandalwood arrives and develops a creamy and milky like accord that is slightly sweet. Underneath the Sandalwood you can still detect the bergamot with it's slight candy like tinge. This jelly-baby candy like accord becomes more prominent in the basenotes. And basically that is it from start to finish.

Now I like the Sandalwood accord as it's very nice but the fragrance is very linear and you cannot help wanting more. It's light but does have a distinct presence but I wish there was more complexity to this one. But though I like it I think I would get bored of it quickly. It costs a £120 which I think is too much.