Reviews by hcr

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

Compared to the original, I get more vetiver and less woods. I don't get the grapefruit luckily, really any citrus. I do prefer it to the original, they're both good but neither really blows my mind.
08th July, 2019

Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Enjoyed the opening, very nice and fresh. Not too familiar with classic neroli scents so not much to compare it to. However after about an hour I got the "grapefruit" note I get from Invictus and Dylan Blue that I can't stand and can't get past. Not as strong but still there. This goes to the sample graveyard.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

EDT: This stuff is ridiculously good. Out of a dozen samples I got recently, this is my favorite. It is just slightly a bit feminine, it reminds me of something my Mom would wear. Looking forward to sampling again, and may consider a bottle.

Kabul Aoud by Montale

Go light on the trigger! Super woodsy scent. It's either love or hate with most Montale frags. This one I just can't get along with, had to scrub. I will try again with less fragrance but this one is a little over the top.

Boisé Vanillé by Montale

This is amazingly good. The vanilla will be familiar to most people I think, comforting in a way. I know it shouldn't matter but I think this may be a little too feminine for me to wear. I will sample again, may be a good weekend scent.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Irish Spring for a few minutes, Cool Water for a few hours, and then the beautiful, lovely Creed base for many hours more-into the next day, however very subtle. Good smell, any occasion, not worth the cost and a little dated now.

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I don't know what to say about this one. It's a strange bird. I can only say I prefer the original Amen and Pure Havane more than this.
12th September, 2018

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Soapy, fresh, not offensive, safe for work. Not particularly memorable or intoxicating. Stays a sample.
12th September, 2018

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

I like the drydown, but I don't like the journey to get there. Love vanilla, this isn't the one though. Stays a sample.
07th September, 2018

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

It's pretty sweet but it is a wrist sniffer. In the "dance club" genre, I prefer this to One Million or Invictus. Pretty unisex also, I can't pull this off but it's a decent smell.
16th August, 2018

Journey Man by Amouage

I've only tried Journey and Epic man. So obviously this isn't as strong or loud as Epic. It's a pleasant scent, not overpowering, but just doesn't wow me, not a wrist-sniffer. Would not be worth the price.
14th August, 2018

Sauvage Eau de Parfum by Christian Dior

Very similar to the EDT. I think for both of them I like the first half hour, than it starts to get kind of annoying for awhile, then hours later it calms down and is nice. I would probably go with the EDT though, might as well go all the way if you're going to do Sauvage.
11th August, 2018

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Tried this after Intense, and I think Intense is the better scent, but this is ok and I could respect either choice. If you have Intense, I wouldn't see the point in getting this. Will stay a sample.
10th August, 2018

Intense Cafe by Montale

A sweet rose scent to me. I don't get too much coffee, but I haven't smelled that many coffee scents. The sweetest, mildest, most feminine Montale I've tried. I quite like the scent, but I don't think I could pull it off. I doubt I'd go full bottle on this, but I look forward to sampling again.
09th August, 2018

Full Incense by Montale

Was expecting this to be full on smoky church, Epic Man style that probably wouldn't be wearable. Not so. To me it's like a soapy incense rather than a smoky incense. This is a "wrist sniffer" were you keep going back to smell again. Up there with Patchouli leaves for my favorite Montale, if slightly less wearable.

Blue Amber by Montale

Definitely got the citrus/floral in the beginning, with the sweet amber carrying it all the way through. Not my favorite of the Montales I've sampled, but maybe the most wearable? Lasted into the next day on the skin.

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Beautiful scent, the patchouli is not too overbearing if you're afraid of it or don't like it. The vanilla comes on fairly quickly, reminds me of a sweeter Caron Pour un Homme. Lasts forever, and the patchouli comes back again, could still smell on skin next day.

Aoud Musk by Montale

Extremely loud, burns my sinuses like grapefruit notes do. Just can't get past it really. At first I thought it was just a lot of alcohol/boozy, but after dry down it stayed. Stays a sample.

Black Aoud by Montale

First Montale I've sampled, and first rose-dominant scent also. The rose is just overpowering. It does smell good though, but I couldn't pull this off. Definitely staying a sample.

Epic Man by Amouage

I give it a thumbs up because it is a beautiful smell, very strong incense. However, I would rather be smelling this burning in a room than on my body. Can't see wearing this on any regular basis, will stay a sample.

Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue by Versace

Starts off soapy like the original Versace pH. Then comes the grapefruit I can't stand, followed up by some light musk.

Good, non-offensive work scent. Not too original, not a full bottle purchase for me.
28th July, 2018

Aramis by Aramis

Not my favorite of the powerhouses, a little too loud for most situations. It had its time and it's a classic but there are better scents out there.
07th July, 2018

Vetiver by Guerlain

I'll be curious if my opinion on this will change in years. "Hospital soap" is really all I can think. This just isn't pleasant. Kind of disappointed, guess I don't like vetiver...

July 7, 2019 edit: changing from thumbs down to neutral. I've worn this a few more times in the last year, and have sampled some other vetiver fragrances. I appreciate it more now, but I feel like it takes a hit being used in so many hand soaps/cleaning products.
30th June, 2018 (last edited: 08th July, 2019)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Nice lemon drop candy for 5 minutes and then poof... gone. Pleasant scent, not offensive, but just not enough. I'll assume it was probably better 50 years ago. Will try this again sometime & see if it's any better.

Aug 19,2018. Will change from thumbs down to neutral. Upon second sampling with much more fragrance, I still find the top notes disappear 5 minutes in, never to be smelled again. However, there are some nice (very light) basenotes on this that actually do last a while, but it is instantly a skin scent and to legitimately enjoy this you would have to drown yourself in it.
30th June, 2018 (last edited: 19th August, 2018)

Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace

First oud fragrance I ever tried. Sprayed it and thought "that smells familiar", couldn't place it though. Little while later I thought "Spicebomb." Definitely some similarities. Pleasant scent, sweet, not sure it told me what oud smells like yet. Will have to sample again.

edit 7/7/18 - 2nd wearing. Definitely smell the woodsy-incense smell more this time. For me, I like the smell of burning incense but not in fragrance usually. I said sweet before but it's not really, it is strong through if applied heavy. I think this stays a sample.
30th June, 2018 (last edited: 07th July, 2018)

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

Haven't sampled all of the A*men scents, but this is my favorite so far. Not as bombastic as the original, would make a good addition to the collection.

Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Sprayed this and the opening reminded me of Nuit D'Issey. Reason is it tickles my nose in a certain way. I then see that they both have grapefruit as a top note. Maybe my nose doesn't like smelling grapefruit? Dies down after a bit and is nice, but this will probably just stay a sample.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Too sweet, not enough "cologne" smell if that makes sense. Ended up scrubbing but willing to give it another sample at some point.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Old school and vintage vibe, but not a powerhouse. I do think I wouldn't be comfortable out and about smelling like this.

Façonnable Eau de Toilette for Men / Façonnable by Façonnable

Just picked up a bottle recently after having a sample for years. I would always go back to that sample, always liked it. I think the topnotes faded away, because the sample seemed to go straight to the basenotes.

And those basenotes are lovely, kind of sweet and floral to me. Don't judge this until it dries down. Could be unisex I think. This does last awhile on the skin, but it's a 4-5 sprayer. Probably couldn't overdo it. Also I've never smelled this on anyone before, so that's nice. I think this would also work for any occasion; summer, winter, work, date, casual.
01st June, 2018