Reviews by The_Cologneist

Green Irish Tobacco by Happyland Studio

To my nose, this kind of just smells like a more powdery Green Irish Tweed. There's a distinct sweet candied lemon note up top, which I'm assuming is what they're calling lemon verbena here. The tobacco is in the background to the other notes. It's not bad but it's kind of strange. Though I can see this appealing to the Basenote crowd very much. You can buy samples for pretty reasonably priced on the Happyland site. I bought this and 2 others that I will be reviewing, for around $22 shipped, they are 5 ml samples. I wouldn't recommend blind buying a bottle of this one though. Or most of their stuff. It seems they are weird enough to be considered Artisan, but still, on the safer side. Still though, the samples are fair enough priced per ml, that it's not a rip off to sample. It's always the preferred choice for me, so you don't spend more if you wind up not liking it. Performance on this one is really good. I get about 8 hours, mostly with a tonka sweetened dry down, with a little bit of what they are calling ambergris, I'm not sure if it actually is or not, but it does sort of smell like it. It has this clean, musky, slightly salty and metallic vibe, just has I expect ambergris to smell. Odds are they are putting just a minuscule amount in the base.
07th February, 2021

Winter Green by Dasein

What a gem this is, for mint lovers! The last time I got such an icy and frosty mint note was in the now very hard to find Cool Water Frozen, but I think this actually does it better, since there's no Cool water DNA.

This is a mint fragrance for mint lovers, people who want a fragrance centered around mint, not an afterthought of mint, and not a side note. As it dries, I start to detect like a tart strawberry note, that is what first comes to mind. There's is obviously no strawberry in here. I think it's the pomelo zest I am smelling, as the below reviewer refers to it as a sweet/tart tang, I couldn't agree more. While in this phase, I detect a touch of jasmine. I don't really get any pine, sadly, as it's a favorite to smell. The beeswaxy base provides for a pretty neutral feel, kind if like a light amber without any sweetness, I don’t get any mint at this point.

In the opening the mint smells like Winterfresh gum, icy, and minty, fresh, and I can almost taste it, that's how strong it is. The sheen left on my hand from where I sprayed, while reminding me of this fragrance as I write this review, is still oily, even after being on my skin for over an hour. Unfortunately, once you can't see it, the fragrance is mostly gone. I get about 4 hours, which is nice for a solid mint scent, but I would have preferred one that lasts all work day. Another thing that I could care less for is the green liquid that WILL stain your white clothes, and even your skin. It does add to a beautiful presentation and aesthetic, and I can see they did their best to make the coloring evaporate quickly once exposed to air, but it still doesn't work.
05th February, 2021 (last edited: 06th February, 2021)

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Awesome opening, Drakkar Noir with a lot more soap. Unfortunately this deteriorates fast and begins to smell cheap and fake after just about an hour. It's what differentiates it from much better soapy devils like Patrick, and Infusion d'Homme.

If you want something super soapy and clean, but don't have more than $20 in your pocket, then this will tickle that fancy. I'd assume the vintage versions provide us with a smoother and more natural dry down, just like every single other men's fragrance in vintage form, from this era.
05th February, 2021

Arso by Profumum

Arso was recommended to me by many Basenoter's when I asked for a good pine heavy fragrance.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't call this a pine fragrance, as much as it is just a resinous and sweet one. The opening burst of pine is fantastic, about as good as it gets, green, earthy, realistic, a little smokey. The smokiness was from something else though; something that caught me off guard.. something I wasn't prepared for. This uber sticky sweet note. It reminded me of the sugary green note in Imaginary authors Saint Julep. It was kind of like a burnt sugar meets burnt rubber, meets celery. It was a green, dirty-ish, burnt rubber, incense driven accord. I'd even go as far as to call it nauseating. Once the sugary part of it wore off though, it presented itself as more resinous, and blended in better, much more smooth. Still though, nothing to write home about. Certainly nothing like the great Norne, which it has been compared to as well.. ya.. not even close. The base notes in this aren't much, just a softer lighter version of whatever that middle was, add in a little cedar, or maybe it was sandalwood. I've seen people say this one smells like turpentine. I've never smelled turpentine, so I can't say, but I can say that the majority of the life of this fragrance is quite unpleasant.
31st January, 2021

Hermann à Mes Côtés Me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange

A DELICIOUS black currant opening, not as authentic and juicy as Enchanted Forest, but still very good. A little hard to get at first, as it's masked pretty well with a lot of pepper. Once it mellow out though, it started to smell more fresh and green, earthy, floral, and patchouli. Or like some have said, sort of like a garden. Vetiver becomes noticeable to me, within 5 minutes, but not a typical citrusy or green vetiver. More of a brown, dirty, and dry vetier, almost smelling like it's ashy.

I think this fragrance is a great balance between earthy and dark, and earthy and light. It captures everything from the grass, to the roots, the surrounding natural flowers, and even a salty note in the air. A very artistic fragrance indeed, that is also balanced out well.

I'm not sure it's something I'd wanna wear, because it doesn't carry that universal appeal, to a green earthy scent like What About Adam for example. This is still a bit too avant garde for most average fragrance wearers, and even a bit for some who are deeper into it.

Try before you buy, very much love or hate.
27th January, 2021

Cologne by Etat Libre d'Orange

A delicious candied lime and orange blossom with a musky dry down. Fantastic smelling, but performance is nothing to write home about. Not worth the retail price, you'd be better off getting Royall Lyme, or Royall Mandarin, which smell like this if you combine the 2 (75% Lyme + 25% Mandarin) and cost much less. The musk in this presents itself as more of a carrier for the citrus and floral notes, than the smell of musk itself, but it does give a clean underlay for the top notes.

Overall, it's just too expensive for something that's been done 1,000 times already. Go with Castile, or Orange d'Verte, maybe even Dunhill Icon before this, as they are all close to one another.
26th January, 2021

Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is nice, but like others from ELdO I've tried, extremely lackluster and boring. For charging what they do, which I know, $150 a bottle is not too bad by today's standards, but when it smells like a $20 scent like this, it's not justifiable.

The opening, I get grapefruit, cardamom, and champagne.. and a sweet creamy accord, something like tonka, but with an herbal quality. The champagne is the only thing keeping this from being a very bad clone of Allure Edition Blanche.

The base is also boring, with no specific notes shining through. I wish the sandalwood would have stood out more, it may have saved this fragrance, and made it actually smell good.
24th January, 2021

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

All I get here is oud and woods. It's a very soft fragrance with minimal projection and pretty poor performance, at about 3-4 hours tops. The sample I got was 80% missing, but advertised as new, so I think a lot may have evaporated, which may have impacted the integrity of the scent. I may need to try this one again, but from what I got, it's a lackluster fragrance, that seems like it has no top notes.
24th January, 2021

L'Uomo by Gianfranco Ferré

This smells like a slightly stronger version of the very subtle, Subtil, by Ferragamo. This one is a little more "blue" and modern, but it's not interesting at all in my opinion. I think what makes it a little interesting is the soft vanilla undertone that I get for most of the life of the fragrance. It makes it a little bit more interesting than the average blue fragrance. I'm guessing the amber listed in the notes, is not the resinous amber, and more the aroma chemical Ambroxan, which is often noted as amber in fragrances. the dry down is a lot of Ambroxan and vanilla, and it's all gone in 3 hours.
19th January, 2021

The One Mysterious Night by Dolce & Gabbana

Once again I have succumbed to the reviews of the king of hyper's Jeremy Fragrance. He said this smells like The One but with rose. That alone got me so excited, I went out and blind bought a bottle from a split. No way I'm gonna spent over $70 on Jeremy's word, but I was ok spending $25 on his word. I've been burned much worse than this in my fragrance journey, as I'm sure many of us have. I digress..

First of all, this smells NOTHING like The One, not a lot, not a little, not at all. The only similarity is both are oriental style fragrances. This is the typical rose/saffron combo, that we've smelled a million other times. It follows more of a Montale Intense Cafe vibe, which is very similar to 24 Platinum. A lot of other fragrances too that smell this way, with emphasis on the rose and saffron, with surrounding sweet elements, often times being tonka or vanilla, and some sort of synthetic woods. Once you've smelled one, you really smelled them all.

This is not an interesting or unique fragrance at all, and smells nothing like The One. I'm happy to take one for the team, so others don't make the same mistake. Does it smell good though? Ya, I think it's nice, but it's just b-o-r-i-n-g!
03rd January, 2021

Acqua di Gio Absolu Instinct by Giorgio Armani

One of the better recent AdG flankers, but seriously failing in longevity.

The opening instantly reminds me of Polo Double Black, which is crazy, i had to do a double take to look at the notes, when I thought this. The notes are nothing alike, but it is what it is. I get a creamy mango sort of opening. As it fades, it becomes more citrusy and woody, with an aquatic touch. At which point, it reminds me of a weaker version of Beckham Instinct Intense. One that probably nobody reading this has tried, because it didn't have much time on the shelves before going extinct.

While this smells nice, it's still too expensive, and doesn't last long. It projects ok for an hour, and then stays pretty close, but I wouldn't call it a skin scent until hour 4, by which point, I don't smell it at all. It's one of those "here and gone" performers, because one minute, I smell it in the air, the next, I smell nothing. To clarify.. not that it's legitimately here and gone, time wise, but here and gone performance wise.

I saw a guy on here showing a pic of having like 5 back up bottles of this, which is really what got my interest. Then again I thought..well.. isn't this the same guy who's obsessed with Aventus. Needless to say, I bought a sample, because that's a drop in the bucket in this hobby. I wish the sample was cheaper too, but hey.. it's still a pretty expensive fragrance, so people selling samples have to make it back, I understand. What I'm saying is, i don't think it's worth the price.

Overall, it's a pretty subtle, simple, safe, but a little unique (by what's out today, not by past discontinued stuff). It can probably serve well as a gift for someone who just sees "Armani" on the bottle and loves it, lol. A good signature scent for someone who isn't into fragrances, and wants something subtle but will still garner compliments. It's a creamy citrus/woody fragrance, and it's well executed, but again, just overpriced.
01st January, 2021

Homme for the Holidays by Happyland Studio

Ok.. wow.. this.. had so much potential.

The coffee note is perfect, it's well rounded with maple and amber, but what the actual !@#$. It legitimately smells like vomit. Try it, and you'll see what I mean. I mean, it really smells like vomit! It's insane. I've smelled some funky things in fragrances, piss, feces, and other bodily fluids (Secretions Magnifiques, I'm talking to you).

I think what the perfumer did here was have a little accident, added a little something too much, and made it a so called "Imaginary" note and hoped people would just go with it. Not me though, I smell it for the worst, and it's very bad at that, absolutely ruins a good scent. Sorry, but this is just repulsive.
24th December, 2020

Gerannabis by Happyland Studio

Easily my favorite of the 3 I've sampled so far. It's very green, but in a bright way. The tomato leaf note is pretty awesome here too, which is a rarity. The opening burst of fresh green notes, has a striking resemblance to Creed Green Valley to me, but it also smells like a much better quality Eau de Gaga. It transforms into a citrusy melange. If you're anticipating any smell of cannabis, you might as well turn the other cheek, you won't find it here. Until.. maybe a little bit in the dry down, but very faint. Whatever it is in the base, kind of smells like a light patchouli, blending with oud, it's an enjoyable but extremely light base. It all dissipates within 5 hours.

Very nice, but wish it lasted longer.
24th December, 2020

Linen Vetiver by Banana Republic

Ugh I was gonna do this long review dissecting this whole house, but I think I'll save it for a blog or something.

In short.. I think Banana Republic fragrances are very hit or miss. A few good, some are absolute bangers, but the majority leaves something to be desired. Linen Vetiver falls somewhere in the middle.

From the top it's fresh and clean, it has a certain feeling and smell of fresh cotton. It has a great tangy orange note on the opening spray, it kind of goes into a Meyer lemon sort of smell, with a slight smokey background. That citrus fades quickly into mostly just bergamot, lavender, some sort of smokey element, and vetiver. Or maybe it's just a smokey vetiver. Can't say I really pick up any iris here, but I do get lavender. I also get a little jasmine, or it might just be iris, as those florals can all smell similar when combined. Middle is blended well, there's a subtle sweetness in the background from vanilla, and a subtle smokiness as well.

This is mostly a skin scent, but it does have decent longevity at around 4-5 hours.

I feel the brand Clean could have, and probably does have something similar to this. But since that brand has flopped completely, you can get your fix of a cotton/fresh/vetiver here instead.

22nd December, 2020

Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors

I'll never understand the hype behind this house. I've tried nearly half the line and found nothing memorable with maybe the exception of Saint Julep.

I got a sample of Cape Heartache free when I ordered a bottle of A Whiff of Wafflecone (a fragrance yet to be added to the directory at time of this review). I wasn't expecting on trying this, but I'm glad to check it off the list.

There isn't much to say here. If you're expecting a fir/green/coniferous scent, you might as well turn right around. This more or less smells like strawberries n' cream, but not until the middle/end. The opening just smells like a strawberry car air freshener. When i was younger, my dad had this spray strawberry air freshener for his van. Of course, this was before the days of amazon, and air fresheners, or anything that we take for granted now, were harder to come by, not money wise really, just being harder to find. However, I digress. The strawberry air freshener for me ties to that memory, which is what I think of when I smell this. It's just such a weak and "novelty" sort of scent, like most of the others from this house. Not so much weak in projection, although not great, it's just weak overall as a fragrance..like just lackluster.

So.. here I am again finding myself reading all these rave reviews, and I wonder, are they real? Am I smelling something different? Maybe I am just a much more critical reviewer? Maybe they all got samples/bottles for free? I do see a pattern in many of these reviews giving praise to all fragrances from this house, which certainly makes me scratch my head. Whatever it may be, I will always give my honest opinion on a fragrance. I don't think this is worth anyone's time. If you must try it, please sample it first; it may come out to more per ml, but it's better than having a fragrance that was an impulse buy that you'll never wear.
15th December, 2020

Mr. Burberry Indigo by Burberry

I'm not at all into the blue fragrance trend, I honestly can't wait until it ends. If I did have to pick a blue fragrance to not only wear, but recommend, it would be this one. It does a little more than the others, and goes the extra mile to distinguish itself from the rest. It's nothing amazing, after all, no blue fragrances are, but it's certainly up there among the top contenders. What separates it, for me.. is the addition of mint. Although I do still get the typical cheap synthetic smelling woods here, like in most new modern fragrances that use any sort of wood in their notes, in this instance, it doesn't last long, and transitions into a smooth base. I don't get the sharpness I get from 90% of other blue fragrance dry downs.

Whether any extra thought was put into this or not, is not for me to say, but what I can say, is that it smells like extra effort was put into it to make something a little different. I think this and Dylan Blue are among the top in the blue fragrances on the designer side. This one is very enjoyable, and a safe blind buy.
14th December, 2020

Interlude Black Iris Man by Amouage

This is quite an enjoyable, albeit unorthodox fragrance. It's even more weird than the original, but in the best way possible.

The weirdness is mostly in the opening for me. Where the first 10 or so minutes, smells like a tamed Interlude, with the addition of a hefty birch tar note. It dies off and becomes more vanilla, before creeping into an iris note. Somehow, someway, it smells like a cappuccino to me, specifically, if you remember at a younger age there was this powdered cappuccino called International House of Coffee (I think the name is different now), they made a vanilla cappuccino powder, and it smells so much like this! I don't think it's purpose either, but it's just what I am getting. The "smokeyness" provided by incense mixed with vanilla, are creating this sweet coffee accord, that is just irresistible to me.

The iris in this fragrance is nothing like what we're accustomed to, rather, it's more of a dirty orris. The cotton candy from the original is still there, but toned way back and replaced more with deeper, darker, resinous notes.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much, from in my honest opinion an overrated house. They have been pumping out a lot more in recent years, and I will have to try them. Interlude Black Iris took me by surprise. It took my olfactory senses on a ride, and showed me something I haven't seen in a while. It remains interesting and daring, while providing a much higher level of wearability than the original. I will probably seek out about an oz of this in a split, because 3.3 oz is just too much volume wise, for this potent fragrance.

Mankind Hero by Kenneth Cole

I rather like this one. Not as good as the original which reminds me of the discontinued hard to find Avatar. This one goes more for a smoother Summery gourmand approach. It has a strong resemblance to Allure Homme Edition Blanche, not as good quality of course. I also get a little bit of Boss Bottled in here. Performance leaves something to be desired, but at discount prices of $20-$30 a bottle, there's no reason not to carry a decant with you and just refresh. Might even buy a bottle myself.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Really like this one, but longevity is horrible!

The opening, it starts off very green in the first 30 seconds, I wouldn't expect it to change so much so quickly, but before I check back, it turns into what mostly smells like candied limes to me. It reminds me a bit of The Natural by Gap at this time, as it mostly smells like sweet limes, and a little bit of vetiver. It has a certain soapy quality, and remains green, and is really lovely. This quick middle phase doesn't last very long, before the dry down already takes over, where it smells something like a super fresh iteration of Polo for Men.

It's hard to give positive marks to a fragrance that lasts 2 hours, but this one can be found cheap enough, at under $20 online easily. Carry a decant with you to freshen up, and you should be good.

Fragrance One : Date for Men by Jeremy Fragrance

It's just a super strong Ultra Male, I only detect a hint of oud in the opening. It's hard not to like this, but it's also hard to love it. It's been done before, and given Jeremy's love for Ultra Male, that was clearly his intent here.
27th November, 2020

John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos

Smells very similar to Versace Oud Noir, but with more oud. The oud in here is very smooth, not sharp or overly woody. Really like this one, but like with all Varvatos fragrances, I get poor performance.
24th November, 2020

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A gorgeous black currant heavy fragrance. Has a lot of spices, and a barbershop feel. Pretty unique, and a bit dated, but a classic at this point. Very heavy men's fragrance, so be careful on the trigger. One of the last survivors of the old school YSL men's line up, I'd say to give this a try before it gets discontinued.
21st November, 2020

Legend for Men by Jafra

This fragrance says it's from 2011, that is inaccurate, it is much older.. possibly from 99 or 2000.

I first discovered this one from a friend when I was a teenager. It's one of my earlier fragrance memories. At this time I worse a lot of Cool Water. I traded my mini of Cool Water for my friends mini of Legend, not knowing anything about this brand, and back then, there weren't many super cheap fragrances, if so, they were from Coty and we knew them all. So to me, I thought this was some super expensive, hard to find stuff, because I had never heard of it.

The next few days I continued to wear the hell out of this. I recall it being a masculine fragrance with sweet and spicy smells. Though also very fresh, and unlike anything I ever tried at this time.

I just recently ordered a bottle on Ebay. It looks the exact same, except the color may have gotten darker, as I remember it being more golden, than bright orange. I look forward to trying this again, to see if it reminds me of one of the best fragrances I ever smelled as a teenager, or if it's completely reformulated.

I may revise this review after I get the bottle.
15th November, 2020

Kaleidoscope by Daniel Josier

I really enjoy this one. I get a burst of peppermint in the opening, with some pine underneath. The first time I sprayed it on I thought it smelled like neroli though.

Anyways, it actually smells like peppermint chewing gum. It really smells like gum from a tree, maybe that's the eucalyptus which is blending with the peppermint and pine? As it progresses I start to pick up on more rosemary and lavender. The dry down is sort of a powdery sweet accord, it's not tonka or vanilla, but it does smell sweet. I don't get patchouli, cedar, or oud, but perhaps a little incense.

Projection was strong in the first blast, but it died down pretty quickly. It projects at about an arms length for the next 30 mins. It becomes a skin scent unfortunately, after 30/45 minutes on skin. After an hour, I can barely smell it. It's really faint, and smells nothing like the first hour. Someone on Fragrantica says this smells like a sweet Terre d'Hermes. To that all I can say is LOL!

Based on smell it's a winner, but poor performance makes this non-bottle worthy for me. Sometimes, a fragrance just smells so good that it justifies a positive rating, (a very hesitant one) despite slacking in performance. This is one of those times. If this were maybe under $60 a bottle, it would make this a good value, but at lowest prices being over twice that, I simply cannot recommend it.
03rd November, 2020

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

This one gets a lot of hate, but I don't really get why. It's essentially a night version of Boss Bottled. The lavender is evident, and adds a soapy and sweet quality. This accompanies the Boss Bottled DNA, and voila.

Now, personally it isn't my taste, but bad? Far from it.

Boss Bottled Intense Eau de Toilette by Hugo Boss

I second Buysblind's review to a T. Only one thing I will add, is this is definitely a bit more synthetic smelling. It has certain aroma-chemicals that are prevalent in today's fragrance creations.

Really what Boss should do is just bottle this as Boss Bottled, get rid of all the damn flankers, and try to rebuild with this one based as their flagship leader. It's strong and powerful, it's modernized, and it's what Boss Bottled was 25 years ago, before the 18 reformulations that turned it into, essentially just water.

Wanted by Night by Azzaro

Much better than the original, with a great green apple note in the opening. Spicy and sort of gourmand. Performance is ok, but due to a boring lackluster dry down, it may seem weaker.

What I like about it is that I can't quite think of anything to compare it to. It does have a little bit of the original Wanted in it, but no more than 20%. It's sort of like this is perhaps a younger mans Baldessarini Ambre, or maybe even an update version of DKNY Be Delicious for men. It could also be compared to Givenchy Very Irresistible, but without the mint and chocolate.

I wish the dry down had more depth to it. It's sort fo just a watery, musky, cedar.

Boss Bottled Tonic by Hugo Boss

Another dumb impulse blind buy that I somewhat regret. I paid $30 for a 3.3 oz bottle. If you don't own the original or EDP, then this is a good fragrance, but if you do, it's completely redundant. It's 100% a toned down, watered down version of the original. The only slight difference is a very weak "gin & tonic" vibe, as the "Tonic" name suggests.

I know there's a large number of people who think Boss Bottled smells like body odor, similar to the feeling with Dunhill Desire. One of my buddies smelled this and said "how many ways can Boss make body odor smell?" lol.

Pasha Parfum by Cartier

Interesting, and a massive compliment getter. Pasha EDP isn't really my style, it's thick and dense, the notes aren't really what I get, but boy does it garner reactions. i think sometimes, we all want a fragrance that just gets us noticed, even if we don't like the smell necessarily, it eventually grows on us. That's my relationship with Pasha EDP.

From the top, it reminds me of a more masculine, more woody Baccarat Rouge 540. The top is insanely strong, I have used 2 sprays and filled an entire 3,000 sq ft house. Not only is it strong, but insanely aromatic. It spreads through the air like wildfire, so just be careful with this one. Eventually the overly ripe fruity notes dwindle down and this becomes more of a sandalwood dominant scent. I don't find much, if any similarity to the original, but I do find some similarity to Chanel Egoiste. I get bits and pieces of many old school fragrances, but rounded off nicely with some new stuff. Unfortunately fir, not being one of them. As big coniferous/green fan, I wanted to smell this note, but I can't. A lot of patchouli in the middle, and amber in the base. There's a lot of other notes in here that aren't listed, tons of different spices, cinnamon, and coriander for sure. There's a nice rose note too.

This fragrance is very "thick" from opening to finish. It's a labeled edp that actually performs like one. Although many EDP's don't have the projection that this one has. I would almost consider this an extrait, by the way it performs, reminding me of BR540 Extrait. Super strong, super potent, and super long lasting.

May take a few tries to understand what's going on, as it did for me. Due to it being so thick, it was difficult to grasp what I'm smelling. I like to know, mentally, what I'm smelling, a good accord just doesn't cut it for me, without knowing what it is.

Bentley Infinite Rush by Bentley

Not very good imo, granted it smells nice, it's very bland and done to death. It's mostly just Iso E, and lots of it. The opening claims a mandarin note, I get more of a lemon, but either way, it definitely smells nice. there's a little pink pepper there on top giving it that almost fruity peppery smell. Then basically after 10 minutes or so, it turns into nothing but Iso E Super, and dries down like this. Not that I dislike Iso E, but it sure wasn't what I was expecting. Then again, I should have read the notes better, because anytime in something modern you see "vetiver" and "cedar next to one another, it's 9 times out of 10 gonna be nothing but Iso E.

The enthusiasm of the previous reviewer also had be excited, but I guess different strokes, as the saying goes. This is a bland short 10 minute simplistic spicy citrus opening, with a very common Iso E dominant dry down, and not much else. Also kind of reminds me of Voyage d'Hermes, without the lemon and tea.
21st October, 2020