Reviews by rolfs_sister

No. 5 by Chanel

Don't go for the lesser versions, or the newer updates (all the various concentrations and new formulations of No. 5). Go for the best: the parfum. The parfum stays with you and adapts through the day. By evening it's out of this world -- not by being overpowering, but in its subtle beauty. It's divine.
And don't save it for special occasions; wear it as a day fragrance and love it.

Sycomore Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is Paris in the winter.
This is fragrance perfection.
I own and am cherishing the last few drops of my large EDT bottle. Much more subtle as an EDT (from 2008) than the newer EDP.

Diorella by Christian Dior

Fresh and lightly floral, citrus disappears too quickly for my liking, as the citrus is what is most appealing in Diorella.

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche suits day and nighttime/evening wear: it can be colourful and vibrant (even 'sporty') during the day, and completely sensual in the evening. I love wearing it in the summer best, when the heat changes it on your skin only for the better. Not right for formal occasions, think of Rive Gauche as your favourite pair of vintage jeans, or your best little black dress (see above, it suits both day and night).

Jasmin Impératrice Eugénie by Creed

19th century in a bottle, heady but not too heavy - but beware, use only a small amount. It's my favourite Creed scent currently but perhaps only because it is so unlike the more wearable others. Note: no one ever comments on it even though I can tell they notice it (it is impossible to not notice, even with one spray). I wear it only for myself, I know others don't know what to make of it. It is hard to know how to match it with clothing - it is entirely a 19th century scent. It's a bit like Christmas fruit cake - it is good but only in small doses, only once in a while, and it is not something people rave on about.

Miss Dior Originale Eau de Toilette (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Think little fitted suit, think Parisian springtime and think of the elegant simplicity of a green scent. This is Sunday in Paris. I wear Miss Dior only during the day and never in the winter. This is not a sexy scent, this is not a beautiful scent. But this is most definately a pretty scent and it's pretty in all the right ways: Miss Dior is approachable, inoffensive, not too loud and incredibly clean. You can wear a lot of Miss Dior and it does not overpower. It is a classic, and it does what so many newer scents try to do - to be pretty. But here we have the equivalent of a Christian Dior suit, and it will endure.

Fleurissimo by Creed

Creed's Fleurissimo is like a more wearable version of Chanel No.22. One of my favourite scents is Chanel No.22, but I am not able to wear it. Fleurissimo is much lighter than its predecessor and not as sweet, and for certain occasions (daytime celebrations) this scent is absolutely perfect.
09th August, 2006

No. 22 Parfum by Chanel

Chanel No.22 is one of my favourite scents, but sadly I cannot wear it (for some reason - call it body chemistry). To me a more wearable, strikingly similar, scent is Creed's Fleurissimo (try it and I think you'll agree).
...But truth be told, Chanel No.22 is still one of the most unusual and beautiful of scents.
09th August, 2006

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

This is my favourite summer scent, perfect for hot and humid days. It's light but sophisticated.
30th July, 2006

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

In my opinion, this scent is just as gorgeous as YSL's Rive Gauche - and it has a very similar dry down.
Calendre is a very very VERY sexy scent, especially after a few hours of wear.
30th July, 2006

Halston by Halston

Halston is the 'Seventies in a bottle. It's confident, natural and sexy. Like a DVF dress.
30th May, 2006