Reviews by Tommy Gander

Knize Ten Golden Edition by Knize

My signature scent. I'm a big fan of the original Knize Ten too, but this is a stripped down version of all the notes I like from the original. In a nutshell, the original has an incense note which makes it more floral than the Golden Edition. My favourite notes are leather and citrus and Knize Ten Golden Edition has the perfect marriage of these two.
04th July, 2018

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

I tried this in my quest to replace the awful reformulated Aqua di Parma Colonia and was disappointed. Fairly pleasant opening notes. The dry-down has a synthetic BO covering unpleasantness which grated. Nah, not for me.
16th July, 2017

Acqua di Genova Colonia by Acqua di Genova

I tried this in my quest to replace the awful reformulated Aqua di Parma Colonia and was disappointed. The rose note is too prominent in the dry down. The opening notes are tame. No, no, no.
16th July, 2017

Lalique pour Homme Lion / Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I didn't get the mandarin or grapefruit top notes at all. Very synthetic and too woody. The second phase before the dry down produced a pleasant vanilla note which was more to my liking, but it was fleeting. Too over-powering and masculine for my taste. So much so that I had to scrub it off because it was becoming bothersome.
14th July, 2017

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

the only gourmand fragrance i own, and one that i enjoy wearing when the mood takes me.

the opening salvo reminds me of cough candy sweets with a hint of menthol. the dry down veers towards a sweet (but not sickly) chocolate vanilla. every now and then, i get a breeze of the aniseed, but this settles into a very comforting scent.

this may carry the moniker 'au masculin', but i think of it more as a unisex fragrance. no problems with the staying power. it's neither overpowering (unless you coat it on), or shortlived.

a unique scent which will have a niche appeal. certainly worth trying if you come across it.
22nd February, 2007

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

a classic, but dated scent. reminds me of kensington market, an old hippy flea market in london with many stalls which sold incense and bottled patchouli oils. in fact, it's the patchouli note which i find to be the prominent one. i don't get any vanilla at all. i'm not surprised that keith richards favours it. unlike mick jagger, i don't think he has ever got over his 70's rock 'n roll swashbuckling image, which i think that habit rouge has in spades. i can imagine peter wyngarde's fictional television character, jason king, being a fan.

certainly it needs to be used sparingly, and it's not something i would use for everyday use, as i think i would be too self-conscious. on the plus side, i like the way it develops more than the initial spray.

i'm glad that this scent exists, but i'm not sure if it's one i would favour for myself.
15th February, 2007