Reviews of Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

TL;DR (19th April, 2021, inspired by coppertop 2001 vintage)

Sheep on wind-swept peak
Beauty vast to ev'ry side
Foiling ev'ry fall

2nd TL;DR (20th April, 2021, inspired by clear-cap 2008 vintage)

What is clarity?
Lenses fore and aft in time
Correcting themselves.

Original (17th April, 2021)

Pretty

So damn
Good I
Had to
Say it.
17th April, 2021 (last edited: 20th April, 2021)
One of the greatest olfactive achievements in perfume history, Eau d'Hermes, Eau Sauvage, Kouros, etc..
A few years into the hobby I realize my favourite genre is "sweaty, pissy, furry, dirty". Now looking for the most indolic, indolent, filthily narcotic Jasmine...
11th March, 2020 (last edited: 08th May, 2020)
woman in a boat by pekka halonen 1924
20th May, 2019

I am a big fan of the Hermès label. I have enjoyed several of their scents, going back to Bel Ami all the way up to Terre d'Hermès. I always look forward to exploring their endless array of flankers and classic outings yet unseen.

I really tried to like Eau d'Hermès. The bottle came with some neat literature and even some souvenirs that were fun. But as for the scent...

...the cumin got me. I recall responding in a similar manner to Declaration by Cartier with its cumin dominating note: Cloying and too animalic. I avoided all things Declaration for over a decade until last year, when I tested it with an open mind and actually came around to it.

But Eau d'Hermès is a chypre scent that I still can't get myself to like. The animalic cumin vibe feels too naked, even amid the other notes surrounding it. I ended up selling my bottle over a decade ago not too long after purchasing it.

Who knows, maybe it'll grab me afresh the next time I test it (although it is not easily found in the niche department store counters in my area - those tend to focus on the "Eau d'Orange Verte" flankers mostly).
19th August, 2018
Eau d'Hermès launched a long-held luxury saddle and accessories brand into the word of fragrance, doing so at the hand of the now-legendary late perfumer Edmond Roudnitska, a name responsible for helping establish the male aromatic citrus chypre mid-century, and designing many a renown fragrance for Christian Dior as well. Hermès must have tread lightly with Roudnitska, allowing him to have pretty much free reign to capture the aesthetic of their establishment in a perfume, which he ultimately chose to be unisex, even if it does heavily veer in the male direction. The scent is famous for it's note that tries to replicate the scent of Human skin, which is akin to what Kouros tries to pull off with a slight "sweaty" vibe, except much more carnal as the skin note in Eau d'Hermès is meant to directly imply sexual tension. Roudnitska worked off of his own memories and experiences in crafting this, his experiences with Hermès handbags when he was young playing a large part of that design, which is why this was chosen to be enjoyed by anyone rather than be a hard-line gendered perfume. Time has proven it more favored by men or women who reminisce about the men in their lives who wore it, so it tends to be ranked highly among enthusiasts of male perfumery. Overall, this can also be seen as something of a missing link between what Roudnitska did for Rochas and Dior prior to working with Hermès, and what he would do after primarily for Dior once again, as it combines ideas developed from Moustache and Diorama (both 1949) with some ideas he would later put to use in Eau Sauvage (1966).

Eau d'Hermès opens with much the same citrus fizz found in the later Eau Sauvage, but quickly submerges that sweet lemon top with the civet (officially unlisted by Hermès) that transitions into the infamous skank of stiff cumin, leather, and birch tar, which also end up being the base of this later on. Cinnamon, clove, cardamon, vanilla, tonka, and all these other spices typical of orientals, fougères, or even bay rum start richly and sweetly dancing around this swanky base, keeping it from being too raunchy; the end result of this interplay is a complicated multi-faceted scent experience that is gentlemanly on one hand, but pent up for action on the other. It's a scent right at home on a biker's leather vest, or an erstwhile equestrian enthusiast's saddle as was the original inspiration source, but in most modern contexts sees use in neither of these situations as most Hermès clientele neither ride Harleys nor set foot often outside of luxury saloons, except to run into another air-conditioned environment. Eau d'Hermès deserves much more than that; it deserves to be experienced in the heat of a day trip, in the proximity of an intimate dance, in the bedroom, and then on the shirt left behind. Edmond Roudnitska may have designed this to encapsulate his own experience with Hermès, but he also knew what purpose he had in mind for it's use, and it wasn't a day at the horse races.

Eau d'Hermès is certainly dated now, as it follows the aromatic citrus chypre model that had it's last gasps with the Yves Saint Laurent Pour Homme line of the early 70's, but it does something strikingly different than any chypre before or since, in that it wraps itself in spices, which alongside that aforementioned civet note, are part of what make it such an undeniably sensual aroma that is anything but casual. Hobbyist-level perfume fans are undoubtedly already all over this, but for the average Joe (or Jane), this is best approached by somebody with an appreciation for the classics that also loves heady spices and a healthy helping of risque. It takes a special breed of person to really love that cumin/civet/leather accord, and almost everything else in this stuff is present just to blend it down and make it workable rather than lead the scent. It's a legend in a bottle, much like most things made under Roudnitska's nose, but it's not for everyone, as it's barely tamed, much like a stallion during his breaking in. For reference, my version is the copper top spray, which was the last version to contain a considerably noticeable civet note, so if a more-domesticated version seems safer (but not as fun for the die-hards), seek out the newest black-topped version with the sticker on the bottle in place of screen-printed lettering; it's the same experience without as much of the "holy s**t" factor in the base. If you're going for the full monty, you want the copper top or older.
31st December, 2017 (last edited: 01st January, 2018)
Coppertop.

Think eau sauvage with notable cumin-like spice. Tight sillage and weak longevity at a distance, but it lasts plenty long as a 'second skin' depending on weather and/or what you're doing while wearing it. One of the standards in masculine citrus scents.
08th November, 2017
If I could smell just one fragrance on the opposite sex, it would be this. In vintage form this scent does something to me that no other one does. We don't need to discuss this at length, suffice it to say, citrus and cumin is a provocative combination.

I wear this myself if I'm feeling...lonely.

Edit: This has now become one of my all time favorites, even though I know most people think it's only for males. I simply love the skin-like and extremely sexy nature of this scent. Mmmmmm!
03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 22nd October, 2020)
I've tried to like this one for years and years... but I just can't get over the sharp cumin note. It smells like unwashed armpits, to be honest. The rest of the fragrance is lovely with nice structure and a classic feel. But the cumin is a deal-breaker for me.

Imagine that someone bought a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - and proceeded to bolt on a chrome "whale tail" spoiler on the rear. The addition is disconcertingly out-of-place and it spoils the lines of this classic car.

That is what I think of Eau d-Hermes.
31st May, 2017
Copper top:

This is really interesting! Not sure about buying and wearing it though.

I definitely get the sweaty and spicy cumin, citrus, and slight anamalic notes, but to me, the cumin gets in the way of me getting the other more dirtier aspects. It dries down to a nice cumin and musk. It's pretty light and not as dense as I thought it would be.
26th May, 2017
This is a lighter, citrus fragrance, but with nice supporting structure that has something such as cumin adding a lovely dose of character.
01st May, 2017
Old school spicy citrus combo that does smell dated or "mature" if you will. I find that this leans slightly more masculine with the opening combination and the leather accord. Not sure what spices are in here... cinnamon? cumin? cardamom? For as "moist" as Bel Ami Vetiver smells this is a bit dry IMO. I do like it and will adjust my review after a few more wearings. Enjoy!
06th February, 2017
I deliberately didn’t look up the notes in this before I tried it, as I wanted to see what I could pick out. Straight up I got the leather, the sandalwood, the lavender and the cardamom – sharp and smoky and spicy. Then once it warmed up, I got a beautiful tang from the bergamot. This seems very cool initially, but after an hour or two, the vanilla and sandalwood start to show through, which warms it and gives it a lovely creamy note. I also got a slight BO smell from this – not an offensive BO, but more a clean sweat, like you’ve showered and put on deodorant and then gotten really sweaty. It’s weird, our last cat HATED perfume – he’d duck his head away and glare at me every time I went to pat him after I put some on. Our new cat seems to like them, as he spent a good ten seconds giving this one a damn good sniffing after I put it on, then gave me the lovey eyes. He is a weirdo though and he loves human smells (especially BO), so maybe it was that note that caught his attention. Me, I really love the lavender and leather in this – it’s a beautiful combination and the slightly animalic, dirty edge to this just makes it even more intriguing. I only put a dab of this on my arm initially, then after a couple of hours, I put a dab on my neck and between the girls. Aaaaaaand now I get why people are saying sweaty sex – holy heck, it’s gotten rather smutty here all of a sudden! I totally get why people are calling this a classic, so purecaramel, thanks very much for the sample. It’s a beaut!
25th September, 2016
Copper Top. As others have said a historical piece in the world of perfume.
The new edition of this is presented Ellena style. The basic structure of the perfume is kept. First there is a more vibrant picture of the Citrus. Then the picture is set back against the canvas, so it appears in the distance. Each note comes forward to present it's story and steps back remaining in view and allowing the next to shine. It is a very pretty and interesting study of the original. I like it!!

1989 Black Top
Quite frankly, this seems very much, what I would imagine, Roudnitska's original recipe.
Opening is Citronellel Roudnitska dewy Lily of the Valley. I suspect a High Quality possibly Synthetic Civet Mothballs that beautifully blooms beneath top notes of Lemon Drops. In comparison to the Coppertop spicing is a Masala, of balanced,blended Cardamom, Cumin and Coriander.
Hums on the surface of my skin, much like a Vintage perfume, however longevity and sillage is more akin to an Eau de Cologne. Lovely stuff.
12th January, 2016 (last edited: 20th January, 2019)

animalic leather, the vintage version a pure cutting edge classic....
12th August, 2015
OMG. Filth, just pure filth. Get yo'self a copper topped dude and this will see you right for 100 years. One drop at a time, I kid you not. It's excruciatingly dense and animalic, don't try this at home unless the kids are out. But Wowzers it delivers. Vile, vile, fecal notes. I bloody love it!
19th April, 2015
I’m told there are differences in formulations, and the version that I’m writing about here is from the “Copper Top EdT” (whatever that means). From what I can gather, that’s the vintage and the version to go after.

It stinks; like seriously stinks. Extremely dated and intensely sweaty. Lime and leather in a predictable old-school kind of way with some soapy lavender and tonka bean floating around. Very textbook retro creeper-mustache type stuff, only it comes with bonus filth—and that’s its saving grace, really. I try to avoid the “old man” descriptor, but sometimes it’s necessary as the sweatier parts of this fragrance remind me quite literally of the scent of my grandfather—a man who never actually wore fragrance. The best way I could describe this would be a not-unpleasant BO note followed by a supple leather, some backgrounded woods, and an herbal-citric infusion. It smells impressive, but utterly anachronistic. This is the kind of thing a perfume fan should at least have a decant of, but it’s reference material only—not because of the stinky aspects per se (there are more gnarly scents than this knocking about), but because it’s like something lifted from a post-war museum and so wearing it would be akin to wearing a costume. Rad.
14th January, 2015
I love Terre d'Hermes and wanted to investigate the classics of this house, so I procured a decant of this from Perfumed Court. As I've become more interested and deeply involved with fragrances, I've found my tastes moving toward more animalic notes, so I thought Eau would be a great fit. Having now tested the fragrance several times, here are my notes:

The initial smell is citrus and a strong waft of manure--horse manure I guess to keep with the theme of the house. It's not completely stinky fresh manure, but more of "the smell of the country" so to speak. The citrus is soon replaced by floral notes, but the dominant scent is manure. As it starts to dry down, the manure smell eases up some, and one can possibly construe the notes as leather and certainly sandalwood, but even here it's impossible for me to get past the smell of poop--highly structured and caeefully articulated, but poop nonetheless.

Some have compared this to the smell of sex. I don't know what sort of sex these people are having, but this is no smell that I'm familiar with as deriving from that process. I assume this note is civet. I've encountered civet before in Kouros, which I like very much, and in others. This is no civet smell I've ever encountered.

I suppose this is a classic, and it is certainly far more interesting and challenging than the run of the mill mall fragrance. I suspect that my skin chemistry must be all wrong for this frag since others write about the non-poop notes while occasionally referencing the skanky elements. For me, the "animal" elements dominate everything else. It's curious that I get nothing similar from Kourosh, which smells fresh and interesting on my skin with only a hint of the animalic. I wish I liked this more since I feel like a bozo giving it a thumbs down, but I cannot, in good conscience, see it as anything other than a fail.

I'm sure to a more acculturated nose, this stuff smells divine. But it doesn't work for me at all. Perhaps that is my failing but, even so, I cannot imagine ever wearing this stuff, even if I did, somehow, convince myself that it is gorgeous. I would worry that others would conclude that, quite literally, I had my head up my a$$.

I don't get this one at all.
11th January, 2015 (last edited: 20th January, 2015)
Genre: Leather

Complex, sophisticated, and suggestive all at once, Eau d’Hermès richly deserves its status as a classic. Others here before me have analyzed this scent and described its development better than I ever could. I think the genius of Eau d’Hermès lies in the way it combines frank animal notes, spices, and tobacco into something that’s at once rich and “dirty.” It’s the smell of a living animal; none in particular, but clearly one with power, grace, and an element of danger about it. In this respect it’s much like Ungaro II, though the two fragrances have hardly a note in common.

The much-discussed cumin note is certainly detectable, but never discordant. It’s only one component of the racy, animal accord that gives Eau d’Hermès so much of its punch. The scent is lasting, with good projection and quite a bit of sillage. After a solid eight hours it dries down to a slightly sweet leathery base that persists for hours more as a skin scent. I find it quite “masculine” (whatever that means) though no less appropriate for women than that other classic leather, Tabac Blond. Eau d’Hermès is a great fragrance, and while it’s certainly not for everyone, it is something anyone who enjoys fragrance should try at least once.
13th June, 2014
A classic still going strong more than six decades after the release of Roudnitska’s original formulation, current-version Eau d’Hermès is an elegant floral citrus cologne with woody elements and a pronounced spiciness. Opening with a delightful blast of bergamot, the complex composition soon unfolds in a double track; on the one side, a smooth profusion of warm exotic spices: I pick up mostly cardamom, the infamous cumin, some cinnamon, and a hint of tonka bean. Concurrently, on the other side, an intriguing bitter floweriness of primarily jasmine and geranium. Underpinning the structure is a discrete, very slightly leathery, base of sandalwood and conifers.

Despite its reputation for being extremely dirty and animalic, Eau d’Hermès is actually rather well-behaved and sort of playfully controlled, even civilized in a classic dandified sense. Confident and luxurious, the scent sits close to the skin, suggestively projecting spicy-sweet impressions of physicality and carefree decadence. To me, Eau d’Hermès is old-fashioned in the very best (and most wearable) sense – a remarkably “happy” and delightful relic of a very different age. Highly recommended.
24th February, 2014
Totally daring for 1951 - to create a "dirty" animalic scent and call it "eau."

It smells like sex pure and simple. It's the scent of the nethermost of our regions, clean but sweaty. Cumin is very similar to the natural perspiration glands in those regions and for some it's an erotic turn on. For others, it's repulsive. Can't imagine the latter actually enjoying leisurely love-making. For those that do, this attracts like a magnet.

A blast of cumin, followed by a mixture of sharp cardamom and pungent coriander, softened by cinammon. It's actually amazing how many ingredients in this begin with the letter "c." Clove and civet are added to the above to make six. Also in the mix are lemon, lavender and geranium leaf.

Best worn when cruising for a date or actually on one. NOT for work or the board room - you'll be too distracting - to both sexes - and they won't have a clue as to why you've suddenly become more interesting than the blather that's coming out of the CEO's mouth. Could cost you your job.

This is a masterpiece. Without it YSL could not have dared his Kouros many decades later. Another misfire by Turin who gives it only 4 stars, instead of 5.
21st February, 2014 (last edited: 26th May, 2015)
This is an example which represents everything I love in perfumery world. An outstanding creation.
06th January, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
A cologne with a skin twist

The current version:

The initial blast is not very strong, but clearly based on citrus and bergamot. After the first hour a lavender floral notes mixes with a herbal impression, and a mild tea note, that on my skin reminds me of GPH II. The synthetic civet is not very strong on me, as is the sweaty component; I get a bit of my original skin smell coming through - not at all unpleasant. Throughout the last hour I get a vanilla-based light powderiness; it is never really sweet though. Good longevity for such a scent of about three hours. A classic and unusually multifaceted fragrance that is well blended and still of high quality.

31st May, 2013
Eau d'Hermes is a rather rare treat, as it's now been reformulated and stripped of it's organic essential oils, and real civet. (Civet is a small cat now on the endangered list.)
Until this decant I'd never smelled real civet. It's rare. Rare, rare. And Eau d'Hermes is beautiful, and unique because of it. On first application the top notes are Bergamot, Clover and Cardamom. For the first five to ten minutes the Bergamot (a cross between Pear, Lemon, and Grapefruit) is most prominent, with a round organic profile softened by the clover. You can tell the Bergamot is an essential organic oil because of its subtlety, and fullness to the note. Naturals differ from synthetics in that synthetics have a thin, abrasive profile to them. Eau d'Hermes does not.
The top notes form a clear, buoyant and transparency to the heart of Vanilla, Jasmine petals, and Geranium. And these start to show themselves about fifteen minutes after initial application. There's an overall sophistication, class, and softness that belies my nose at this point. It's so well blended I have trouble differentiating between all of the notes. It took me a week to understand this. A week I spent with my nose on my wrist trying to pick them all out, and I'm not even sure I got them all.
After thirty minutes from first application is when Eau d'Hermes really starts to bloom and transform from a clean, clear citrus and soft petally floral into a dirty, skanky animalic whore. It's absolutely remarkable how it does this, and the reason why is the Civet and (now also endangered and extremely extremely expensive) Mysore Sandalwood. At this point just a trace of the citrus is left, lending a lemony tang to the animalic Civet. The product is a fresh, salty, skanky sweat, and clean skin scent that becomes addicting. It's like smelling two bodies fresh out of the shower who worked up a sweat making love, in every conceivable position.
This is an amazing, masterpiece of perfumery.
My only complaint is it's half-life of around two hours. It's ephemeral at best, and to enjoy it, constant reapplication is necessary. But what can you expect with a citrus dominant, organic oil based fragrance? That's about the best one could hope for. And nothing matches Eau d'Hermes in it's respective genre.
04th May, 2013
This review is of the copper-topped Eau d'Hermes--I believe I've smelled one of (or the only?) reformulations before, and it contains a brighter initial splash of citrus followed by a heavier dose of cumin. In any event, this first version of the fragrance is smooth and suave--exactly what I imagine they were shooting for when they said it should smell like the inside of an Hermes bag. There really is a complexity of scent here...the little booklet accompanying the bottle lists 17 notes divided into 7 accords. And either I'm highly suggestible, or, after reading through that list while smelling my wrist again and again, I thought I smelled most of those notes. A 'fresh citrus' accord was followed by ' aromatic herbs', then 'bold spices', 'flower notes' and so on, until a basenote of cumin and leather was reached. Each accord was subtly there, yet combined into one unified, bronzey-brown color. Very interesting and full of depth. While I am huge fan of L'Artisan's Al Oudh, and find its blend more sweatily sexy (and great fuel for the libido), Eau d'Hermes's sex appeal is smoother and duskier---a must-try. Imagine shrinking yourself and a friend down and having a forbidden encounter inside a huge Hermes bag....
01st December, 2012
Challenging, yes! This fragrance is not for everyone or every occasion. The notes have been described before - it opens with a citrus blast and develops into a (good) slightly powdery scent. But all the way, it is civet - civet - civet, for me.

As we know civet is often described as urinal, sweaty or horse manure....not very pleasant. It is an acquired taste, or scent, and not for beginners I would presume.

My application of this wonderful fragrance would be in evenings foremost. And I am not sure how the females will react. Some may love it, but some hate it, I am sure. I believe this is a scent mostly to be applied on men for other men to enjoy. Clean, but slightly sweaty balls may be the most accurate description of the scent.

EDIT: I layer it with a bergamot fragrance and it works perfect. The bergamot gives it a facelift and a more modern feel.

02nd October, 2012 (last edited: 31st July, 2015)
A perfect epochal and historical first stage of lavender, hesperides (mostly bergamot) and spacious cumin is the prelude for a following woody and leathery dry down mastered by a really stark, deliberately stuffy, orangy and almost viscous animal element (civet?). The leathery-pheromonical opaque combination is the slightly dirty chord whereof many talk about its sensuousness. An obscure potpourry of flowers, patterns of smoke (smoky leather) and tasty spices enriches the final wake that is a breeze of glorious past ages, exotic olfactory refinement, luxury in items and art in perfumery. This fragrance is simply an artistic, a bit naïf, pièce of art.
22nd May, 2012 (last edited: 10th January, 2013)
tnamey Show all reviews
Beyond trhe pale. Perhaps the finest fragrance made! Sexy. Not at all, animalist, but sexy. The odor does smell like sex: not naughty, but divinely erotic. Longevity is not great, but adequate when you know intimate moments are not far off!
02nd May, 2012 (last edited: 11th May, 2014)
I was looking forward to trying Eau d'Hermès as I had read the reviews here and have an interest in what are considered classic scents. The Hermès boutique here in Madrid unfortunately does not give out samples so I sprayed my wrist and went on my merry way.

I gave it a smell and was greeted with...horse manure. Not fresh mind you, which can be pleasant in the right environment but rank and vile. I was shocked and disappointed.

I could not understand how this got such good reviews.

I went back recently and decided to apply it as I would normally. Not just on the wrist with my nose pegged to it. It was a completely different animal. On me, very close to the skin and the harshness passed rather quickly becoming a warm mix of skin, butter and spice. It seems to me this is something that you wear for yourself rather than for others. Very personal and intimate.

I totally get it now. I also can't get it out of my mind.

A great cool weather fragrance unlike any other.
22nd December, 2011
According to Hermes, this is original cologne is available everywhere, but I've only ever seen it inside Hermes boutiques, even in Paris. That said, it is worth searching out, especially if you like being the only person around wearing your scent.

Eau d'Hermes has been described as sexy, skanky, dirty, reminiscent of body odor, even a sweaty man's crotch— and it is all of these things, especially on paper or clothing.

But Eau d'Hermes, like many older fragrances needs to be smelled on skin. On paper it is all cumin and cardamom and civet. Sprayed on skin and allowed to settle for a few minutes, it's a warm, deep, mildly powdery holiday pastry, bready not sweet, eaten over a cookstove after a morning of chopping wood. Ed'H is a single drop of Ambre Narguile under your navel fresh back from a winter morning's jog.

On my skin in particular, Ed'H becomes cinnamon and butter and warm skin, like eating snickerdoodles in bed after sex. A warm spiced wine poured over the body or your lover, bergamot and cloves and first-flush armpit. And perhaps it is just the image of Roudnitska modeling this after the smell of a used Hermes bag, but I detect a some leather and lipstick in there, too. Powerful stuff.
28th November, 2011
I wore eau d’Hermes today. Eau d’Hermes is my favorite eau de cologne. I think I wear edc for different reasons than most men. If I want simple, fresh and bracing (what I think most people want or expect from a cologne) I’ll rub on a little tea tree or lavender oil out of the shower. I turn to my colognes for a timeframe and a progression that grabs your attention when you pour it on, excites you as it fills the air around you for a few moments, then quickly quiets down to Something Else. Mugler’s cologne’s something else is that odd nose equivalent of a tuning fork crossed with a dog whistle. CdG’s Anbar’s something else is that hint of amber that would take you 12 hours to reach in an amber-oriental but you find 15 minutes after applying Anbar.

Eau d’Hermes’s something else is funk. I enjoy the decadence of stepping clean from the shower and inducing that wonderful skin scent that might otherwise take some sweat and a good few hours of ripening. I love the fact that skin smells. EdH just gets me there faster.

(note: I only know the copper cap version.)
05th August, 2011