Neutral Reviews of Antico Caruso by Profumum

I desperately wanted to love this. Ever since JPG Le Male went to seed, I’ve been searching for a version of the old classic, fleshed out in the Platonic Ideal of the original formulation. I will always have such an abiding affection for the scent that I wore through most of my twenties, the OG le male.

I’d love to see THAT SCENT done up to the absolute highest standard. I was hopeful when I heard about Pluriel (especially since Kurkdjian was the perfumer behind them both) and, again, thrilled when I heard so much about Antico Caruso supposedly smelling like a high class Le Male. While the latter gets closer than the former, neither of them are bold enough or as complex as the original. And, at this point, the original is a pale imitation of its former glory(I actually think the Cuba Gold knock off smells better than the real thing, at this point.)

As for Antico, itself, I find it to be more of a light Almond “soliflore” until the drydown sprinkles a musky sandalwood over it, going from fresh to slightly earthy over the course of the nut’s progression.

It’s beautiful and simple. But too simple to be as expensive as it is and, at least on me, the pleasing scrubbed up top notes are gone far too quickly.

Very understated. Most people will believe you used a lovely almond soap and skipped cologne/perfume for the day. Still, I can’t hate it.
26th May, 2019
Antico Caruso is effectively a high quality, high end version of Le Male, cut from much finer cloth. It has an accord of almond and sandalwood, that is a little sweet and approximates the lavender-vanilla accord of Le Male. Antico Caruso is refined, with substantial depth and excellent quality, as with many of Profumum Roma's scents. I'm not sure about the barbershop references, it depends a bit on the barbershop aspect one has in mind. I can still see Antico Caruso as something that wet-shavers might appreciate.

While I like Antico Caruso a lot, I find that it fails to sustain my interest. It is too linear for too long, and on some days the sweetness is a little overwhelming. Antico Caruso shows remarkable tenacity on my skin at over eight hours, and has consistent projection almost throughout. This is testimony to the fact that Profumum works with quality materials and provides a high concentration of perfume. Antico Caruso, however, also exhibits a drawback I find in some other Profumum perfumes I have tried - while there is much depth and richness, there is a lack of complexity.

Definitely a must try among sweet woody scents (especially if one is okay with a high quality but simple and linear scent), as it is very well done.

06th May, 2018
I've again attempted to expand my (very limited) perfume and EDT wardrobe. Sigh...I guess I do not do well with change and apparently there IS a very good reason I have such a limited "go-to fragrance wardrobe"--smile. With that said, I have taken somewhat to the new trend of sweet, spicy, cotton-candy, almond, sugary vanilla "gourmand" type scents. Such scents seem to be a nice departure (especially for spring & summer) from my heavier fragrances that consist of oud, musk, resins, sandalwood & other woodsy oils, etc.

Well, obviously sampling Antico Caruso was NOT an effort to find a "sugary" scent but a feeble effort to explore another dark, exotic, resinous fragrance. As others have stated, this is a non-complex scent that settled into two notes on me, well actually ONE note...powdery amber...period.

Trying to avoid doing so, I definitely detected the "barber shoppe" aroma among the opening notes. I detected an herbal & nearly medicinal accord in the opening notes, perhaps some citrus, too. Within minutes, the scent rapidly transitioned on me and I definitely detected some almond that was pleasant enough...just not PRESENT enough for my tastes.

And finally, as others have already stated, sadly on me the dry-down of this fragrance landed as a simple, very ordinary linear note...not almond (as many have stated) but to my senses, the final note was AMBER...and a soapy amber, I'd say! Maybe I'm sensing sandalwood (which I like quite a lot) and not amber. But I think I can detect sandalwood from amber. Antico Caruso definitely landed as amber...simple, non-complex, kinda ordinary amber.

On the plus side, longevity seems GREAT with this fragrance 'cause I applied it several hours back and it still smells quite song. Silage also seems to be quite strong as there are wafts of this stuff throughout my entire house right now. I actually caused one of my poor cats to sneeze when I hugged him a few minutes ago-lololol.

Nonetheless, I do not like the end results of this one on me. Traveling with it from its opening notes to its end was pleasant enough. But in the end, this fragrance feels (smells) too ordinary for me and way too masculine given my current preferences. Think I'll pass this on to my dear husband and see if he'd like to try if out for a while. Glad I got a tester/sample. Many thanks once again to Lucky Scent dot com!
25th February, 2015 (last edited: 26th February, 2015)

bokaba Show all reviews
Super sweet, super powdery, with fruits. That's about it. Floid makes a better Italian barbershop scent and it comes in a 400ml bottle. Nothing special and not worth the outrageous price.
08th January, 2010
This is like a reduced version of Le Male by Gaultier.

It has the same benzoin smell, but not as strong as LM. No sticky sweetness. The almond/maybe vanilla it is rather dry, woody dry, probably due to the sandalwood. In opposite to LM, Antico Caruso is a discreet scent.

Longevity is short, compared to LM..

Remember the sailor in the Le Male advertisement? For an Antico Caruso ad, a distinguished elderly gentlemen would be more appropiate.

I rather take the sailor.
04th October, 2009
Fairly linear. I get a citrus top and the rest smells like a nutty, creamy tonka bean/sandalwood.
06th September, 2008
Antico Caruso is quite heavy, rich, sweet and powdery and not at all a shy or subtle fragrance. It starts with a sharp, loud citrus-sugary intro, then the sweet notes (almond, a touch of vanilla) unfold, giving the whole composition a soft and cuddly character. The drydown is the best stage of development: sandalwood and a powdery accord create an elegant, classy aroma. Antico Caruso actually reminds of old barbershops due to the mixture of soap, talc and citrus cologne. It bears a certain resemblance to Prada Amber, but seems more refined to me. Maximum sillage and staying power - beware of overapplying. I like it, but it's a tad too sweet to really love it.
19th January, 2007
Antico Caruso is not complex at all. In fact, olfactory complexity is not this scent's strong suit. I loved the initial onset of single contrasting sharp and soft notes; sweet and yet mildly astringent, exactly what I like (contrasting elements within a fragrance triangle). It was at first quite wonderful and had all the makings of something that could have become one of my "signature scents". But that only lasted a very short time, sadly. Within minutes, not hours, it all went to almonds; almond paste and then powder. The overall impression was not unlike English almond shaving soap-- rich but not sweet, thankfully. Perhaps there was an oblique reference to sandalwood, maybe, but just. It could have used a bit more sandalwood IMHO. The only subtle variation I sensed was that at times there was the distinct allusion to talcum powder- - same smell, mind you, just more powdery, but that came and went. This is not a strong fragrance, everything is very subtle as long as it is applied in moderation. Overspray and it gets a tad cloying. So, is Antico Caruso worth its high cost? Ah, now that's the question. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. It comes down to whether you like soft almond fragrances. I have to admit that for a fairly long time I thought of selling this, but finally changed my mind, and I am now using it occasionally in Fall and Winter. Frankly, I think Farmacia SS. Annunziata's Isos is very similar and can be had for half the price. Sample both before making a decision.

Joe
21st October, 2006 (last edited: 19th December, 2009)