Positive Reviews of Baiser Volé by Cartier

One quality that seems undervalued these days, in modern perfumery, is sheer prettiness. Even the most mainstream houses' pillar perfumes are (largely) selling depth, darkness, mystery, profundity, and, of course, sex, even when the perfume inside actually smells like a cupcake or vanilla ice cream. Who wants pretty when they can have sexy?

Well, I do. Sexiness--which is such an ineffable quality-- comes in all kinds of packages. I find individuality and confidence much sexier than copycat, smoky eye and lingerie, stereotypical male-gaze sanctioned "sexy," so sometimes tidy grooming and an aura of cleanliness has its own kind of sex appeal. That's what I find in Baiser Vole, which smells like an updated version of Anais Anais--a perfume that made virginal florals sexy.

Cartier's marketing materials tell you that Baiser Vole takes you on a journey through a lily flower, from the pistils through the greens the roots. I think they have the journey backwards, and they also don't mention of its most interesting qualities--its retro-cosmetic, dressing-table scents, of cold cream and powder, and their lovely alchemical marriage, with the sensual lily. It's like a modernesque update of Anais Anais, the , pervesely sexy virginal floral.

Baiser Vole opens green, green, green, and more green, with a verdant fresh-cut grass note, that is probably as much galbanum as IFRA will let mainstream perfumes contain. There's an icy-sharp, pointed edge to the green, that I think smells like muguet. Then comes a smooth, soft, but equally frosty musk that smells like old fashioned cosmetic creams, almost like Noxema, less its piercing aromatics. This opening settles in as your skin warms it, the greens and cold cream and muguet blending to a single chord unto itself. Then, something saline and nearly savory joins in, hinting at the next stage of the perfume, as the scent of warmer and spicier lilies makes its entrace.

The Big Lily note is loud and proud, composed of raucous stargazer, florid casablanca, and spicy tiger lilies. It starts off on the shy side, as an adjunct to the creamy cosmetic scent, and then the spicy edge of the lilies becomes stronger, until it finally seems to fully bloom. If this perfume is a journey, it takes you from the ground up, makes a detour stop at the dresser, and finally travels through stems to the sunny florals. Even at the heart stage, when the lilies are at their strongest, the creamy musk hangs on. I love every stage of this perfume, but I especially enjoy its peak, when the musk slips behind the lilies, leaving a trail of creamy lilies. It's a beautiful expression of spring green oerfumery, a joining together of warm and cold, artifice and nature, with no ambition to be anything other than absolutely charming. It's pretty without being in the least bit vapid.

There's a hint of something humid that eventually emerges, that feels right at home with the touch of exotic tiger lily spice. It's not edgy, nor is it challenging, and to some noses, it might be a bit girlish or juvenile, to some noses, but I like its youthful associations. Like Anais Anais, with its spicy carnation, Baiser Vole is deceptively warmhearted. It never crosses over into Ice Queen territory (I love the ice queens, but this isn't that).

The saline quality of the lilies, and the creaminess of the musk, come together to smell kind of like freshly showered skin. It helps the perfume feel like it belongs to the body, especially once the lilies begin to recede. The musk turns a little sharp at this phase, but I don't mind. This perfume isn't trying too hard to make you love it. It's a little like being sassed by a cute teenager, and this lady loves a witty retort.

The lilies eventually sink into the cold cream, and powdered notes begin to emerge, unveiling the final stage of the perfume. The drydown still has some fresh lily notes, but it's mostly back to the Noxemaesque musk, which turns more aggresively aromatic as the lilies fade. It reminds me very much of a musk that Keiko Mecheri likes to use in some of her less conventional florals, like Fleur d'Osmanthus, and I think she also uses it in her Patchoulissime. It has a little bitterness, which I find pleasing, like an off note in a melody that makes a final major chord sound like a resolution. That little bitter edge eventually loses its bite, but the perfume never has a even a hint of sweetness. However, powdery notes in the ending phase are comforting. They smell like luxury, and bedtime--a soft but emphatic ending, and pretty down to the last moments.

Baiser Vole remains crisp and fresh throughout its entire lifespan, which lasts for a solid eight hours and probably more (I usually layer on a second perfume sometime in the afternoon or early evening, so I rarely smell the tail end of anything I put on early in the day). It's a brisk daytime perfume, but I think lilies can be dressy enough for a warm evening. If you like green florals, it's a must-try. Even if you have some of the other great lily perfumes (Grand Amour, Donna Karan Gold, Un Lys, Lys Fume, and of course Anais Anais) in your collection, Baiser Vole stands out as a distinctive expression of the flower. Its modern profile, and its retro associations, have a cool glamour that stands out from the sweet, sticky, desperate offerings from most of the major perfume houses. Every aspect of it is pretty, but its construction and character are also intelligent, when most of the competition is vapid.

I also want to point out that the packaging is marvelous. It looks like an antique oval cigarette lighter, with a chrome Art Deco top, and hefty glass, like the lighters that vintage movie actresses--Jean Harlow, Barbara Stanwick, or Lauren Bacall--use both hands to pick up and strike. the perfume itself is tinted a pale but warm-hued pink that matches the perfume's springtime palette. I appreciate this degree of detail, because these days, it seems like all the great perfume houses are changing their presentation to boring uniform shapes. Presentation doesn't affect the character of the perfume inside, but it does enhance the experience of wearing it, and I love sculptural bottles. I'll keep this one long after the perfume is gone--if I ever actually finish it. Cartier offers an usually wide range of sizes for a modern perfume house, and I appreciate their not forcing me to buy 200 mls, or more, of perfume that I can't possibly finish, given the size of my collection, unless I live for at least another century, and stop buying perfume--and the chances of either happening are slim to none.
10th July, 2020
My second year in high school I got a job working at a high-end flower shop in one of our local malls. It was established and run by two business partners from NYC. They were both impossibly savvy and chic, and I wanted to work for them as soon as I met them. I was there until I graduated, I loved the job so much. Baiser Volé smells exactly like that flower shop—icy, sharp, and green, underlain with the Easter ham/warm clove scent of Star Gazer lilies, which formed the backbone of the shop's signature flower arrangements. It’s an impressively unadulterated floral—no patchouli, no amber, no animalics, probably not even any galbanum. Nothing to funk it up. And yet it's both super strong and complex, with a very strange fresh cream and wet cardboard dry down. Don’t let the initial watery aspect fool you. This stuff lasts forever.
15th December, 2019 (last edited: 17th February, 2020)
Not bad...i don't see any problem with a man wearing this...I'm enjoying how this smells on me... Opens with a kind of citrusy green mix...quickly dives into a pile of lilys and pretty much stays there...reminds me of the smell of the Orthodox church from my youth at Easter...smells very lily realistic...nice and fresh for a summer eve...
21st October, 2019

The opening is a soapy fruity floral, but the dry down is flowers and vanilla, still with soap. Not super interesting. If you’re familiar with Guerlain’s Angelique Noire, it’s similar, but lighter. Angelique Noire turned into a clean body milk. Not bad, then.

Edit: I love the powdery feel it has in the end of its life on my skin. Best base note.
06th November, 2018 (last edited: 01st May, 2020)
This review is for the EdP:

I don't hate the idea of mainstream perfumery. At all. I grew up in the era of going perfume shopping in department stores, back when there was still a lot to be excited about. I still enjoy making a trip to a good fragrance counter and shooting the breeze with a sales assistant.

Mainstream houses with talent, like Cartier, turn up gems like Baiser Volé more often than seems right. But Mathilde Laurent is just that good. What could have been a dialed-in flanker is, instead, a smart daytime fragrance that ticks all the boxes I assume it's supposed to for marketing purposes, and it stands on its own as a perfume worth wearing.

Baiser Volé is built in the clean, streamlined, contemporary style of late-model Jean-Claude Ellena--smooth, seamless, no edges--but it also contains a fizzing, bubbling center a là Francis Kurkdjian. These architectural features update what is, essentially, the most retro of retros: the soapy green floral, the prim Grace Kelly of perfumes. Once the machinery is set in motion, a bright lily-of-the-valley blooms up through a layer of soap musk and clover, before receding again into the background. It's a clever use of aldehydes
--a type of construction that's now being deployed to good effect in some perfumes and less successfully in others. (I'm trying not to grind this axe too often, but seriously--I'm seeing it everywhere).

The only disappointment is Baiser Volé's longevity, which seems to clock in at less than two hours. Everyone else has noticed it, too, but it's worth weighing in, for consistency.

Edit: I was wrong. It came back, and came back again. Total wearing time was probably 8 or 10 hours. Very, very nice.
03rd July, 2016 (last edited: 10th July, 2016)
The opening is green, slightly citrussy, with hints of shampoo and hairspray- as other reviewers have pointed out- a combination that could have put me immediately off and induced me to dismiss it as another generic mainstream offer. Fortunately, on skin in a warm day, the fragrance soon gets rid of this unexciting start and displays a fresh, spicy- clover mainly, not too heady lily note that gains structure and complexity as time passes. The heart of the fragrance is smooth, velvety, lightly creamy and softly threading towards a musky drydown where vanilla, woods and patchouli mingle harmoniously. The drydown shares, in a softer, whispered tone, some notes with a more recent Mathilde Laurent work, La Panthère- I personally love this stage in both fragrances very much, but here comes my only qualm about BV: its longevity is quite weak, after a couple of hours I can barely detect it.
Longevity issue aside, Baiser Volé is an elegant, masterfully composed and somewhat reassuring fragrance, versatile and perfectly unisex, in my opinion.
(This review is based on a sample of EdP. I see there are other concentrations that maybe prove more long lasting)
06th June, 2015
I enjoy the scent of lily in perfume but not so much lily of the valley. I also own Lys Mediterranee and have tried Donna Karan's Gold and Lys Soleia.

Of all the above, I find Baiser Vole the easiest to wear. It's very adaptable - refreshing for summer daytime, fine for work environments, also very nice for informal parties or drinks in summer.

It opens with a scent that's quite reminiscent of clean shampoo, but it develops beautifully within ten minutes. What it perhaps lacks in intrigue or animalic depths is more than made up for by light charm and elegance. It has a green peppery edge, the lily is fairly crisp, not too clean, and there's a wisp of vanilla to lend a fluffy cloud-like aura. It feels to me as though it's floating around my head in delicate bubbles of clear, light sparkliness. Dearie me that sounds a bit air-headed, but Baiser Vole has that lovely slightly vegetable peppery green note too. It also has surprising longevity.

It's a perfume that will appeal to women of all ages who seek a contemporary fresh green floral with underlying elegance. I'm always reminded of a green house when wearing Baiser Vole. I can''t think of any other perfume that has this gentle yet clear quality, almost verging on aquatic. Matin d'Orage is vaguely similar, but still smells like a classic floral.

Though very pretty, Baiser Vole is really quite unique and quirky in its way.
12th February, 2015
This one is quiet enough that I missed out on its nuances for a long time - turns out the only way I could appreciate it when testing was to spritz in a department store then immediately go outside!

The first few times I wore it the weather was warm, and I experienced it mostly as a wonderful vintage face powder and milk chocolate drydown that lingers softly for hours and hours. It's an impressionistic and restrained milk chocolate, which is why I think it works. Chocolate notes usually smell cheap, though in coming at it kind of sideways, the illusion holds.

In cooler weather it's been a whole different thing - lily, and lily, and lily, for days. Initially I thought this was such an elegant and chaste scent, yet getting to know it better, I've noticed a very pronounced skank note - this lily's over-ripe, and we're getting some of the stale, murky water in the bottom of its vase. It's kind of off-putting, yet kind of sexy and dirty on skin, like the mysteries that lurk in some of the old Guerlains and Carons.

I appreciate the way it gives a nod to 1920s-30s sophisticated powdery glamour, yet is, by comparison, a streamlined modern scent. It seems just right that Cartier should acknowledge history and also exist in the present.

22nd December, 2014 (last edited: 04th January, 2015)
Salutation.

If i could describe it in one word it would be LOVELY!like a breath of fresh spring air.If you have ever picked a small bunch of lilly of the valley to bring indoors,you will want this scent around you always.BAISER VOLE is the kind of smell that can literally brighten your day just by wearing it.a perfectly balance blend of florals and green notes.it reminds me of an early spring morning or a cool summer evening when you get that hint of lilly of the valley floating in the breeze.It is also complements the natural scent of women.Green,Fragrant,Graceful, Refreshing,Quietly,but distinctly feminine and Softly Elegant.

A natural embodiment in the vivaciously fresh green notes combined with bright fruits(citruses))and the delicate feminine flowers(lily)).a lightly green base only hinted at the sensuality of this winning combination to wear when your active either working in the day time or night dancing.It surrounds you with a sophisticated bouquet.it makes you imagine of green fields and bloming flowers,shining and romantic walks with him when you want your grace,elegance and infinite elegance,impress him.BAISER VOLE is perfect for spring and hot summer months.I would suggest this for a sophistacated young woman,or a sophistacated woman with a youthful heart.

Sillage?Lovely.

Longevity?Satisfactory on my skin.

12th December, 2014
Such a beautiful lily scent. I have the Extrait de Parfum and it lasts about 6 hours. Lily is a tricky note as rogalal stated, and it can often turn cloying or funereal, but this one presents the best aspects of the lily: polleny, lush and green.
05th March, 2014
Definitely one of the better lily scents I've tried. Lily is such a tricky note. It often comes off as a very sweet green chemical smell, but Baiser Volé cleverly pairs it up with a subtle peppery clove, which gives it a quiet grit and also creates that carnation effect that so many reviewers enjoy. There's also a standard white flowers accord and some soapy white musk, which make the whole thing feel flowery and "real" instead of sweet and chemical.

The chocolate note on the bottom is clever. The soap and flowery "grit" make sure it never feels gourmand. Instead, it's a fascinating source of richness. By the end of the day, when the soapy chocolate is all that's left, it's a little thin,but for most of the ride, Baiser Volé is compelling and maintains interest. Definitely recommended.
23rd January, 2014
A simple and smooth lily and carnation with a sweet white musk coming up from the bottom and a touch of lively green at heart. It reminds me of some classic 50's era white florals without the mustiness and intense level of powder that makes these things smell dated. I doubt it will wow many people but it is a well done scent and stays for much longer than I would have put money on. This would likely make for a good scent to layer with other simple scents, like an oriental one wishes had more dimension, or a dry, masculine cedar.
15th January, 2014
I'll beging by just saying one word out loud: CARNATIONS!!!
Yes, I'm a male, but the carnation has to be one of my favourite flowers out there! This scent is like being dropped in a flower bed of carnations and left there forever. A very linear fragrance, it stays pretty stable from the outset and last for ages. The scent of carnations is blended with many other notes but to my nose the carnation (quite hard for perfumers to get right these days) stands out most of all.
A wonderful composition of florals that females all round will enjoy and no doubt their male counterparts will equally appreciate as well!
09th January, 2014

A powerful expression of the Lily in full bloom

I went to Nordstrom to try a couple new perfumes out to complement my collection. After smelling a dozen and a half different EDP's I had enough and was on my way out when the Baiser Volé bottle caught my attention. At this point I only had my upper arms left unsmothered so I spritzed a dash. Loved it and couldn't get enough of it! After a couple hours the smell turned into a rich powdry green scent that was exactly what Mathilde was trying to accomplish. Had to have it! I bought an unboxed 100ml bottle for a decent price at fragrancenet and have been wearing it for almost a week now. Still love the scent. It reminds me of a fresh bouquet of lilies or walking through a field of spring flowers, but if you spray too much it seems that there's more of a strong powder scent stepping forward rather than the notes of lily stems and leaves. So even if the scent seems to die out sooner rather than later it is not (in my opinion) advised to make up for that by over spraying. If you're used to strong scents like Eau du Soir by Sisley or the citrus spice of Eau des Merveilles Elixir by Hermes, you'll still find use of this EDP as an every day office scent.

Pros: Light and refreshing, unique all-inclusive Lily scent
Cons: Not long lasting, excessive use brings overpowering musky powder scent and kills the green notes entirely"

06th September, 2013
Do like it! Its light, refreshing, reminds me of Paris in the springtime!
13th March, 2013
Barris Show all reviews
Green Green Green.
No flower to this stem if you know what I mean.

This is great, super classical, I'm five feet away from the bouquet : )
On a masculine chemistry though, it goes almost tomato vine. But this is no problem, a lot of people have complimented how fresh I smell. So the EDP really liked me, and the EDT is actually thought as.. a flower stem, needing the flower. So why not throw a floral note over it? It worked best with Givenchy's Dahlia Noir and BVLGARI's Jasmine Noir for me.

This is timeless and hope it sticks around, and I highly recommend the body cream.. though a bit pricey.. it's as intimate as your chemistry can get with such a green and fancy fragrance such as this one. I really push trying this one on for sure! Lovely! It's just as radiant and beautiful as their Jewelry.
17th October, 2012
A very radiant green-aromatic and musky dry soliflor with the starring note of lily of the valley at the central point of the round. The smell is simply radiant, classy, very elegant and feminine in my opinion. The top notes are a bit too angular with a notable citrusy-botanic tart vibe. You can almost smell the earth under the floral stalks and the roots itself. In a while the odour becomes more "rosey" and airy with all the blooming up delicacy of the lily bursting on the spring sky. The final smell is a bit powdery and musky but above all floral. The kind of floral smell reminds me the scent of muguet for sure in association with rose although i don't know if rose is really comprised in the blend. The moderate floral mildness is delighful, the smell is almost natural and fresh, may be some neutral powdery cedarwood imprints structure to the musky base. An excellent floral romantic fragrance that follows the Cartier's story, i talk about the almost natural but at once faint (in lasting power-this one less than others) kind of smell.
20th December, 2011 (last edited: 17th January, 2012)
Virtue&Sin Show all reviews
Russian Federation
In my opinion, the new Cartier is more than just a pleasing fragrance to the general public to avoid drawing attention to strong scents (or can not afford to do so in some fields). Beyond the bottle, cocktails launch all that surrounds each new fragrance (or their awards, or anniversaries), Baiser Vole can satisfy a voracious appetite for conquest while women from more demure and romantic preferences. A lily worthy of becoming known, yes, in all her femininity yet with its wild rhythm of green stems and citrus as well for the male audience: everyone deserves a cuddle from time to time.
02nd November, 2011 (last edited: 03rd November, 2011)
Just tried this morning in a shop. Surprise! Finally a lys in a commercial fragrance. While niche market has got three beautiful creations on lys notes (un lys mediterranee by malle, lys and spice by penhaligons, and the great Un lys by lutens) this is the first lys I found on shelves. While "Un Lys" is dark, sofisticated and misterious, Baiser Volè is a diamond (according to Cartier jewelry name!). Bright and clear from the first sniff. Unfortunately the fragrance doesn't evolve. It remains the same for hours and it is a little bit too monolitic!But what a nice monolite!
Another point in favour of BV is the top of the bottle. It opens up in a nice, original way: like a zippo!!
Lys notes are really important to me, being my name Susan (lys in hebrew). Thankyou Cartier.
28th September, 2011 (last edited: 12th April, 2014)
This scent is meant to convey an portrait of the various parts of a lily: pistils, petals, and green leaves. It succeeds in that goal, and quite well. This is a lovely floral. It is somewhat sweet, but it is not heavy and it retains a fresh quality. At times it has soapy or dewy notes, suggesting youth and Springtime. The phrase "pretty in pink" comes to mind. The lily theme is well done -- it really smells like that flower. It has the saffron-like pistils, the heady sweetness of the petals, and the perky crunch of green leaves. Not at all my style but I can appreciate it.
24th September, 2011