Reviews of Knize Ten Golden Edition by Knize

Knize Ten with a growl

I realize that a leather forward fragrance doesn't seem like it would need a leather flanker, but that is kind of what this is. It takes the regular Knize, which is a tan leather with hand lotion and flowers, and reduces the ancillary notes. It them amps up the leather by giving it an animalic growl. Its got a little grit in its voice. If the original is just a little too "nice" for you, this will hit home. For me, it is quite nice. I'm a person who appreciates a little naked masculinity in my fragrances, and that hits here. Thumbs up.
17th October, 2020
After having Golden Edition a few days now, I really like it. I think I like it better than the original for a couple reasons. One, it's more subtle and better balanced. Although I love the power of the original, even in its current formulation, it can be overwhelming, and I notice that heavy leather notes tend to go down people's throats a lot, and cause a bad reaction. To me, there is nothing worse than someone getting a whiff of my frag, and being uncomfortable, coughing, itchy/watering eyes, or sometimes even choking. Although this is more subtle, I still get a full bodied leather note, like in the original. Two, the dry down is fantastic! It's a sweet vanilla-ish incense, and it's just awesome. 3. It's well made and well blended. I think even better blended than the original, more refined, more smooth, and even more masculine, with more restrained florals. I really only get jasmine in the middle. As someone who doesn't like jasmine, it smells great here. The bad.. one.. I'm gonna go through this bottle really fast. For the price per ml, it's pretty expensive. The performance is good, but not as good as Knize Ten. Two, it's limited availability makes it harder to find. I never knew this even existed, let alone came out about 2 decades ago. It's not readily available (nor is Knize Ten, but still much easier to find). Though knowing a little bit about the Knize brand, and their devotion to staying loyal to their fans, I don't think it will ever be discontinued, unless there's an apocalypse or something, but it will be limited.

Bottom line.. it's a very good leather dominated frag, with an old school leather smell, without the powerhouse feel. It's strong but if you do 2 sprays, you shouldn't bother anyone who is sensitive to leather notes. It's overpriced, but tbh, there really just aren't many good authentic smelling leather frags out there, very few in designers, and not many niche either. Knize knocks it out of the ball park, not once, but twice. I also think I might wind up buying a bottle of Knize Ten too, because I find them different enough to own both.

Additional notes: This is not just a "watered down" Knize Ten, it is a different formula/blend, and I find it especially noticeable in the dry down.

12th June, 2020
It's quite a comedown from the glorious original Knize Ten. Basically they have stripped nearly all the floral's, citrus freshness, complexity and cut way back on the powder. And you get the leather front and centre with what smells like talc on top and this stays with you for a good while. Like the original the leather fades but instead of been left with the beautiful floral basenotes the slightly sweet talc aspect becomes more prominent.

It still smells great and if you do not care for the fresh powdery floral aspect of the original and just want the leather then this one will make you happy.

The original Knize Ten is like going to a concert and enjoying a orchestra playing complex musical compositions. Where as the Gold Edition is like going to your local pub/bar and listening to a talented karaoke singer. lol

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, floral's and complexity. Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.
15th December, 2018

Knize Ten Golden Edition is quite similar to the vintage version from 1924.

The opening tones down the floral elements, with a bit more of a pungent-powdery accord (similar to Le Male by Jean Paul Gaultier). Florals are rather pronounced but smells more thoughtfully constructed.

The finish to Knize Ten Golden Edition is pretty much just like the 1924 version: Leathery, citrus, musky, and with aromatic flowery notes. It smells more tamed and last quite a long time, with great sillage.

Opinions will DEFINITELY differ from person to person for a whole host of reasons. Personally, I like this scent, which has enough of that Guerlain Habit Rouge and Christian Dior Fahrenheit sharpness that made Knize Ten so delightful! Test it out and see for yourself. :-)
09th December, 2018
My signature scent. I'm a big fan of the original Knize Ten too, but this is a stripped down version of all the notes I like from the original. In a nutshell, the original has an incense note which makes it more floral than the Golden Edition. My favourite notes are leather and citrus and Knize Ten Golden Edition has the perfect marriage of these two.
04th July, 2018
The Golden Edition is a condensed, amped-up version of the original Knize Ten that's a bit more apt for colder weather, specifically, but at the same time lacks of some of the freshness both in the opening and heart of the original, and in that respect, distances me from what I love about the original.

I definitely get oakmoss in the Golden Edition whereas I didn't detect it all in the original, and combined with the leather, it creates a certain masculine spicy heaviness that didn't weigh down the original. Beyond that, it's a similar note list on paper--citruses, petitgrain, rosemary, etc.--but it's just less open and floral from beginning to dry down than the original.

I still like Golden Edition a lot, but it's less fresh, versatile, and classic-smelling than the original, overall, though it does still remind me of some of the 80s/90s powerhouse fragrances.

It feels near-impossible to judge Golden Edition outside of the context of the original, but on its own, it's a good, strong, spicy men's fragrance that's likable and worth trying, for sure.

7 out of 10
15th February, 2018
I bought a big bottle of K10GE blind because of my appreciation for regular K10 in all its petroleum leather, jasmine-like floral, and amber glory. To me*, they're close enough to each other to be considered the same scent. Similar performance as well. Mine are all coded CH17### and earlier, presumably much too old to be affected by the presumably relevant birch material restrictions of IFRA 47 taking hold c.2013/14.

*For sure there are those that tend to focus on differences when comparing scents. If you're wired in that way, well YMMV. Me? I focus on similarities.
24th January, 2018
I've not yet tried the original but am extremely impressed with this flanker. A very characterful and detailed leather with some points of comparison to Equipage, but perhaps with sharper edges and refinement certainly comparable to that great (interesting to note that Luca Turin rates the orginal K10 as 5* in The Guide, where Equipage gets 4*).

I find that many of the listed notes make an appearance - which is good - while also maintaining an overall character - which is also good. A good leather, with some prominent florals, buttressed towards the basenotes by some vanilla and castoreum. I see this genre as largely casual wear, but could you get away with it for work? I think so, mostly. Would it get past Equipage and Bel Ami and get worn if I bought a bottle? Yes, it would. This is a high-quality effort.
01st October, 2017
Not as good as plain Knize ten. It also doesn't smell like the vintage Knize ten, to me. To me, the drydown smells exactly like Santa Maria novella melograno. If you like Knize ten golden edition, I'd recommend getting melograno instead, as it's far superior. This fragrance is soapier and more leathery than Knize ten reformulated. It is much stronger than Knize ten, but not better. I'm glad I tried it but I'd not buy a full bottle of it. If you'd never smelled Knize ten, you'd love the giolden edition. It's got more body and longevity but smells too different from its original. I was very disappointed with the golden edition because it's lacking in Knize ten consistentcy. That being said, I'm still giving it a positive review because it's still far better than most leathery fragrances out there. If you have a choice between the golden edition and plain Knize ten, I'd recommend Knize ten non golden edition. The golden is too floral and too leathery. It's just too direct compared to Knize ten. And besides, it's a ripoff of melograno from Santa Maria novella.
14th January, 2017
A more modern version of the classic Knize Ten. I'm not sure that I prefer one over the other as there are elements in both that I like, as well as elements that I don't.

Golden shares the floral-leather-musk blueprint of the original K10, but the leather is softer and the floral expanded and more complex. Golden is not so dusty/powdery in the dry down either, which was the one element of the original that I did not care for. While K10 is extremely masculine, Golden strays more unisex, due to the additional floral notes. I like both, but see no need to own both. I will have to war my samples a few more times to choose if I would purchase either, but both are well done fragrances and I would give Golden an equal Thumbs Up.
22nd February, 2016
I am giving this a thumbs-up even though I prefer the original Knize Ten. The Golden Edition (GE) has had its angles polished, its leather smoothed and its florals blended almost to a puree, and as a result it has lost (for me) much of its interest, but little of its beauty. Like the original Knize Ten, the GE dries down to a lovely suede scent reminiscent of Cuir de Lancome.

It's a funny thing about scent perception that - given the same fragrance, bottled in the same production year - one person will be strongly impressed by specific notes or accords, while another finds them utterly lacking; likewise for sillage, projection and longevity. On me, sillage and projection for both the regular and Golden Editions of Knize Ten are weak (especially the GE), but each develops into a tenacious skin scent that lasts for many hours.

Many people (myself included) find the leather diminished in the GE, while others perceive it as stronger. For me, the GE also lacks the strong phenolic aspect of regular Knize Ten (which lasts well into the drydown), and the GE's floral accords are blurrier than regular Knize Ten's - but I've read a number of reviews that state the opposite. I love the strong juxtaposition of leather and florals in the regular version - but others say the same about the GE!

So you'll probably need to try both and see what you think. It would not be wasteful to buy a decant or small bottle of each for comparison, as they're both excellent but strike people in various ways. You'll encounter reviews which state that the GE and regular Knize Ten are almost identical twins, but this reviewer disagrees.
13th September, 2015
Smells like my room after polishing my shoes... through a veil of honey. Well crafted and I understand why many male fragrance fans love this. Not my piece of toast, though. Cannot imagine anyone under 60 years wearing this in a casual setting.
16th July, 2015
This smells like a masculine flanker to Chanel Cuir de Russie edt, which is nice.

This is subdued, and safe, I think. I like it. It smells a little sweet and spicey, like a nice cookie at a coffee shop, and it has the same leather feel as the Chanel, or at least reminiscent of Cuir de Russie.

16th May, 2015

It's unfortunate tha this fragrance could not escape the association with bug spray to my nose. Bug spray at the opening, bug spray in the middle, and dry bug spray at the dry down. Makes me wish I never smelled bug spray so that I can have a more objective opinion.
28th March, 2015
I completely agree with alfarom's review - the Golden Edition is a great, softer, smoother, more "modern" version of Knize. Still great and not too trendy (or too cheap). Bravi!

8,5/10
19th September, 2014
Knize Ten Gold is one of my favourite leathers. It is powerful, long lasting and with a bitter, leathery smell. Very masculine. On my skin Gold is more about leather while the original KT is more about petroleum.

Highly recommended.

Edit: It reminds me of the original Bel Ami, before it was re-formulated. And thus, close to perfection.
30th August, 2014 (last edited: 14th October, 2014)
A wonderful modulated version of Knize Ten; the Golden Edition is by analogy the 21 year Scotch to the original Knize Ten, which is the 12 year old. The same was true of Aramis and Aramis Special Reserve. Wonderful mellower variations on great themes. This is a true gentleman's scent of style and worth; and a modern classic.
11th October, 2012
Oviatt Show all reviews
I am a big fan of Knize Ten but realize that it can be a challenging scent to wear. I was pleased to get a bottle of the Golden Edition and at first did not notice much of a difference--maybe a little softer, but this still packs a wallup. I have been wearing this a lot and just wore that original and that is when I realized how subtly different they are. Both are well worth having. K10 GE is smoother, less in your face and more in line with today's tastes, but it is still a wonderfully rich leather that is unlike anything else out there... except for the original K10!
19th May, 2012
Launched at the turn of the millennium to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Knize Ten, the Golden Edition strikes me as a "smoother", polished an civilized version of the original. Slightly reacher in amber, toned down for what concerns the leather.

Maybe less compelling than its older brother but still amazing. Could make a fantastic option for anyone who finds the original a tad too challenging.

08th April, 2012